Princess Máxima Visits Argentina: December 4-7, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silvermj said:
You are most welcome! :)

Just one final explanation: K. is how colloquially we call our president.:D
I already figured something like that out. ;) We call our prime minister J-P (because his name's Jan-Peter)... :D An universal thing, I guess?

Last edited:
carlota said:
i just found this other video of the conference in the university, where you can hear maxima saying her spech :)

video from tn24horas

http://www.tn24horas.com/popup_metafile.asp?Id_nota=46490&Id_calidad=1

Interesting.

I like Maxima but, IMO, she needs to invest in a few hairclips. Her advisors should be aware that when so much of her hair falls in her face, so frequently, especially when she's taking pictures or giving speeches, it can be very distracting and it may look a little bit strange.

I wonder why she didn't seem to use any hairclips? She's worn her hair in that manner for some time now...:p :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for posting photos/information regarding Crown Princess Maxima's trip. I've been really impressed with all of her outfits (especially all of the skirts) She just looks wonderful, and I love her hair. It was nice before, but I prefer it at this length. It must be nice for her to revisit her homeland.
Lillia said:
I like Maxima but, IMO, she needs to invest in a few hairclips. Her advisors should be aware that when so much of her hair falls in her face, so frequently, especially when she's taking pictures or giving speeches, it can be very distracting and it may look a little bit strange.
I agree about the hair-clips from watching the video. By the end of it though, her hair managed to stay in the right place. :p

As the trip is over now I must say that I am quite impressed by the dedication and energy the princess has for this subject. I do not think she considers it as a hollow duty and I think she has done more then just giving some smiles and waves. Bravo Maxima!

Silvermj said:
Sorry if I was not able to translate/transmit it properly. I am Argentine, born here, lived my whole life here and I did not find her answer agressive or irrespectful, nor that she was saying it was an accident that she was born here or that her adoptive country was more important in her heart than her native one.

Probably, it has to do with the way and the reasons the question was made and I took for granted you would infer them. My mistake.

As I said yesterday, a part of the press here despises her and tried, tried during her official visit, to provoke her. I am sorry I could not find the video of that conference on the net to post a link, but she was in Puerto Madero, in front of The Netherlands Embassy, explaining why the UN sent her here and explaining what her mission as UN advisor was, and since she keeps Argentina in her heart, she was glad this microcredits system was begining to help people improve here but one of the journalist wanted to lead her to express political opinions (explanation: these microcredits are against to what most politicians want here) and that she was not representing The Netherlands, etc. Most likely, to get a comment out of her that would provoke a non-polite comment from our President, who lately seems to be quarreling with everyone, from the Church, to foreign presidents and own ministers, who were forced to resign (including the Economy Minister. Felicia Miceli has only been our Economy Minister for one week, since our former one quitted last week).

I do not know how much are you all aware of the social/political situation of my country, or which questions are made by tabloid like reporters and with which second intentions.

Please do receive my apologies for taking for granted that you would infer it.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand situation better now.

oh, i know what you mean with her saying that with the comment of "since you are argentinian..". journalists can be quite cheeky sometimes. i also remember they asked her about the situation argentina is going through: she answered really politely "i'm sorry, but i prefer not to comment on that". arond this backgroud it's easy to understand why she said it. but as plain as it was in the article, someone can interpret she doesn't feel argentinian...

I do not think anyone can doubt how much she loves Argentina. But like Queen Sofia, Queen Silvia, Queen Noor, Princess Alexandra, Princess Mary, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa (among others, and please do correct me if I am mistaken), Maxima became a Dutch citizen due to her marriage to Prince Willem-Alexander.

She came here as the Princess of The Netherlands who is the UN advisor in the International Year of Microcredit. Of course, I am sure the UN representatives have chosen her over Queen Rania and Princess Mathilde, who are UN Emissaries in the IYOM, since she was born and is so popular here, facts that no doubt got her a broader press coverage.

Silvermj said:
Yesterday, during that brief press conference -and I was able to watch that part- she was saying she was visiting our country as a UN advisor, and what she was doing as such, when a journalist told her "since you are Argentine....." which forced the princess to remind them what I expressed above: she came here as The Princess of The Netherlands, who is a UN advisor; that she is a Dutch princess who was born here.

I always say she is our best ambassador (I mean what a person born and raised here could achieve regarding education, kindness and politness) contrary to the usual image some Argentine people (politicians in particular) give foreigners of us, and now, she received my applause, because she is aware of the choices she made and is perfectly aware of her responsabilities and duties.

That added an "extra point" to the reasons I have to admire her so much.:)

i agree so much on that. to me, maxima is our best ambassador. many argentinians are known in the world, but practically all of them are sportsmen and women (at least the ones most of the people know, there are a lot more, but you really need to be into it to know them). maxima was a blessing for all of us. so many people around the world have bad images of us, as practically of all south america, and it's good to have a person who is known around the world and is argentinian who represents as the best way possible. maxima really does her job perfectly. i think all argentinians should be proud of her and of the image she gives...

personally, I was thrilled to read her 'I'm not argentinian'comment. seeing how happy and well received she was in Argentina I was beginning to fear
that she might have second thoughts about the tiny, rainy country she now represents.

this is a load off my mind!

carlota said:
oh, i know what you mean with her saying that with the comment of "since you are argentinian..". journalists can be quite cheeky sometimes. i also remember they asked her about the situation argentina is going through: she answered really politely "i'm sorry, but i prefer not to comment on that". arond this backgroud it's easy to understand why she said it. but as plain as it was in the article, someone can interpret she doesn't feel argentinian...

i agree so much on that. to me, maxima is our best ambassador. many argentinians are known in the world, but practically all of them are sportsmen and women (at least the ones most of the people know, there are a lot more, but you really need to be into it to know them). maxima was a blessing for all of us. so many people around the world have bad images of us, as practically of all south america, and it's good to have a person who is known around the world and is argentinian who represents as the best way possible. maxima really does her job perfectly. i think all argentinians should be proud of her and of the image she gives...

Totally agree with you.
Máxima is our best ambassador:D :)

purple_platinum said:
i posted your article on Princess Amalia's thread, silvermj!
thanks for the heads up...

here is the link : http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/340939-post58.html

Thank you, Purple_platinum!!!!!!:)

carlota said:
it's good to have a person who is known around the world and is argentinian who represents as the best way possible. maxima really does her job perfectly. i think all argentinians should be proud of her and of the image she gives...

Indeed!!!!!:)

Elise27 said:
Thanks for the explanation. I understand situation better now.

You are welcome!!!:) I am glad I was able to explain it clearer.

pollyemma said:
personally, I was thrilled to read her 'I'm not argentinian'comment.

Actually, she said she was a Dutch princess that was born here. I would not have liked her saying "I'm not Argentine". I (like everybody else here) would have considered it extremely rude.

On the other hand -I base my opinion on her pictures and videos-, it is undeniable Maxima loves her new country as much as she loves her native one, not matter the size or weather.

Furthermore, she has three "anchors" that would keep her there forever: her husband and her two lovely daughters. (I know, the hopeless romantic here!!!!! :) )

Silvermj said:
Sorry if I was not able to translate/transmit it properly. I am Argentine, born here, lived my whole life here and I did not find her answer agressive or irrespectful, nor that she was saying it was an accident that she was born here or that her adoptive country was more important in her heart than her native one.

Probably, it has to do with the way and the reasons the question was made and I took for granted you would infer them. My mistake.

As I said yesterday, a part of the press here despises her and tried, tried during her official visit, to provoke her. I am sorry I could not find the video of that conference on the net to post a link, but she was in Puerto Madero, in front of The Netherlands Embassy, explaining why the UN sent her here and explaining what her mission as UN advisor was, and since she keeps Argentina in her heart, she was glad this microcredits system was begining to help people improve here but one of the journalist wanted to lead her to express political opinions (explanation: these microcredits are against to what most politicians want here) and that she was not representing The Netherlands, etc. Most likely, to get a comment out of her that would provoke a non-polite comment from our President, who lately seems to be quarreling with everyone, from the Church, to foreign presidents and own ministers, who were forced to resign (including the Economy Minister. Felicia Miceli has only been our Economy Minister for one week, since our former one quitted last week).

I do not know how much are you all aware of the social/political situation of my country, or which questions are made by tabloid like reporters and with which second intentions.

Please do receive my apologies for taking for granted that you would infer it.
I´m also from Argentina, I saw the video tape, and understood it properly I believe;
And excuse me but I didn´t like what she said, it was like she was looking at us from the top of hill!!!!
for god sake she only live there for what? maybe 4 years in february!!!

Argentina is maybe somewhere in my heart!!!!!!! come on!!!!!!!!!!!

According a Spanish member of BRMB (manuel) she said:[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]"I am from Holland (soy holandesa) and a Princess of Holland (una Princesa de Holanda), although I was born in this country and I will always have it in my heart"

A diplomatic answer I think. The people from The Netherlands would not be happy if she told the journalists that she is still argentinian in first place. She is going to be the Dutch Queen, so The Netherlands should be her country now.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
ardilla said:
I´m also from Argentina, I saw the video tape, and understood it properly I believe;
And excuse me but I didn´t like what she said, it was like she was looking at us from the top of hill!!!!
for god sake she only live there for what? maybe 4 years in february!!!

Argentina is maybe somewhere in my heart!!!!!!! come on!!!!!!!!!!!

I do feel sorry for her though because this is exactly the kind of thing that she can not speak from her heart. :(
I can't imagine a person being born and bred in one country would be asheme of her homeland. And if she did not like Argentina, why did she visit?

As much as she misses Argentina, it would be a pr disaster if she said "I love this country" because she is there in the capacity of the Dutch crown princess, not as Maxima the free woman that she use to be.

melissajames said:
I do feel sorry for her though because this is exactly the kind of thing that she can not speak from her heart. :(
I can't imagine a person being born and bred in one country would be asheme of her homeland. And if she did not like Argentina, why did she visit?

As much as she misses Argentina, it would be a pr disaster if she said "I love this country" because she is there in the capacity of the Dutch crown princess, not as Maxima the free woman that she use to be.

She didn´t need to say I´m not argentinian I´m a dutch princess and Argentina is maybe somewhere in my heart!!!!
she didn´t say I will always have it in heart!
I never heard or read Mary saying that or Sofia or María Teresa or Silvia or any of them, It sounded like a rejection to me, and believe me cause I heard her speaking in her mother toungue.

ardilla said:
She didn´t need to say I´m not argentinian I´m a dutch princess and Argentina is maybe somewhere in my heart!!!!
I never heard or read Mary saying that or Sofia or María Teresa or Silvia or any of them, It sounded like a rejection to me, and believe me cause I heard her speaking in her mother toungue.

The press asked it.

Is the video online?

What exactly did she say to the the question and what was the question exactly.:confused:

ardilla said:
for crying out loud! She IS dutch!!! She has the dutch nationality since May 2001 and had to give up the argentinian one. She furthermore said NOTHING insulting, on the contrairy, she made a charming reply that Argentina is always in her heart! What else should she have said to satisfy you?

Last edited:
Technically she is STILL an Argentine. The Argentine government does not allow its people to give up their citizenship. Having said that, I completely agree that she was visiting in her capacity as a Dutch princess. As a dual citizen myself, there is no doubt in my mind that she will forever love her homeland.

Marengo said:
for crying out loud! She IS dutch!!! She has the dutch nationality since May 2001 and had to give up the argentinian one. She furthermore said NOTHING insulting, on the contrairy, she made a charming reply that Argentina is always in her heart! What else should she have said to satisfy you?

Yes, and still Argentinian too, because what Gisela says is true. Argentinian citizens aren't allowed to give up their nationality. :)
But next to that I think it is very wise of her to give a diplomatic answer to questions which can lead her to political statements which she'd better not utter. In those cases she has to be a Dutch princess, how much she maybe would love to speak her heart. That has nothing to do with her still feeling Argentinian or not...

Thanks for correcting me, I assumed that a crownprincess of the Netherlands can only have the dutch nationality. To have any other nationality seems a bit strange to me actually, as she is supposed to represent the dutch since her marriage.

I still stick to the conclusion that I find the critisism to her most charming reply very strange and overdone.

In my way of looking at this she is argentine she was born there and her parents are . Because she married in to royalty it doesn't change what she was born as. She will always be argentine and her children are half argentenian It is in their blood.

ardilla said:

Ardilla, have you seen the interview on TV? I have, and she never said "I am not Argentine". The question was: "As an Argentine, what is your opinion......". She let the journalist finish and told him: "I am Dutch. I am a Dutch Princess that was born in Argentina". Have she said "I am not Argentine" would have been considered rude here, eventhough she is now the princess of a foreign country, wherther we like it or not. And she did say she has Argentina in her heart.

I have nerver listen to Queen Silvia speaking regarding her nationality, but I have never heard Grand Duchess Maria Teresa saying "I am Cuban" or Queen Sofia "I am Greek" since they got married. However, it is undeniable the look of joy on their faces when they returned to their homelands.

No Watcher, the video is not avaible on the net. Since they did not get the comment they wanted, it is easy to allow people to wonder what she really said (the posts on the boards are a great example) and used it to attack her again instead of letting people listen what exactly she said.

Gisella said:
Technically she is STILL an Argentine. The Argentine government does not allow its people to give up their citizenship. Having said that, I completely agree that she was visiting in her capacity as a Dutch princess. As a dual citizen myself, there is no doubt in my mind that she will forever love her homeland.

Since when? I am sorry but our constitution, original and modified, does not say so. Being a person with a double citizenship myself, too, I do know we are granted that status due to the agreements reached during the 19/20th century on occassion of the huge waves of inmigrants towards our country. I do know people who have become a full citizen of a foreign country and personally, never learned that the government did anything to forbade them from doing so. For example, have you ever heard of someone who gets the American citizenship that got it due to a double citizenship status agreement?).

Furthermore, that would be against the Universal Human Rights Declaration, which our country also signed.

What was informed here (and please posters from The Netherlands do correct me if this is wrong), was that the Dutch government allowed her to get a double citizenship status, what if I am not mistaken, was a complete exception, since as far as I know there is no double citizenship agreement between Holland and Argentina. And here, in order to get the Spanish/Italian Citizenship your parents or your grandparents must have been Italian/Spanish. None of Maxima inmediate ancestors are Dutch.

I do recall watching her on the news, receiving her Dutch passport due to the fact she was not going to be allowed to marry unless she became a Dutch citizen, what she is now. She may have been granted the double citizenship status, but she is a member of the Dutch Royal Family, and no matter how much she loves Argentine, she represents The Netherlands not Argentina, eventhough we consider her as our best ambassador.

Máxima has double citizenship. half dutch/half argentinian
She couls have given the argentinian nationalty but she hasn't..so she tuely has Argentina in her heart

Silvermj, it was implied by another poster that Maxima had renounced her citizenship. Personally, I know that there are some countries that will allow their citizens to renounce their nationalities, if they so choose. Canada is one of them.
My intention was to clarify that in the case of Argentina, such a request would never be met. I inquired about this when I obtained dual citizenship. Furthermore, I am fully aware that Argentina would never revoke someone's citizenship if the individual obtained citizenship from a signatory state.
Nevertheless, whether she's Dutch or Argentine, it is now irrelevant. She's an awesome lady.

Last edited:
I think it doesn't really matter whether she's Dutch or Argentine but what matters is the fact that Maxima is doing great things in both countries, helping people and giving example...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom