Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th Birthday Celebrations: August 31-September 2, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On this I could not agree more. She is beautiful woman and her gown was a lovely color, with the sole fault being that slit at the bottom. Maybe if it was more on the side of the dress, or the back, it would not look so odd? Who knows....

It looks like she is wearing Maxima´s shoes too btw...

In the 1950's Princess Wilhelmina, owner of the vast estate, donated it for free to the State, with restrictions for the usufruct and the condition of a re-contribution when the Netherlands would become a republic. Later in 1975 the palace no longer was used as a regular royal residence. But there is a gebruiksovereenkomst (user's agreement) that the palace will have a museal destination, but is available for use by the Royal House. More or less the same construction as with the Royal Palace Amsterdam, which has a museal destination as well.
a bit off topic perhaps, am I correct that queen Wilhelmina did retire at the Loo Palace and didn't she spend the last days of her life there, spending her days painting on the roof?

I don't know if it was posted before, but here's a picture (you can also see it in www.royalblog.nl) of the "Who's who" book that was handed to the personnel, as not to mistake any of the guests for another one ...

Photo

I'm a little late remarking on this lovely party, but it seems to have been a real success--all the guests seemed so happy.

For me the best dressed were without question Maxima, Letizia and Mathilde. Maxima looked radiant in her bold fuscia; Letizia looked sublime in that magnificent gown; and Mathilde was elegant in orange.

But the stars of the photo shoot were the darling little girls. I love seeing happy children and these girls are clearly happy.

The photos are wonderful! I always love looking at photos of Letizia and she shone!

All of them were stylish and elegant...And the party seems to have been excellent in organization, glamour..and fun! :flowers:;)

Vanesa.

All of them looks stylish and elegant. And the party seems to have been excellent in organization, glamour...and fun! ;)

Vanesa.

Last edited:
a bit off topic perhaps, am I correct that queen Wilhelmina did retire at the Loo Palace and didn't she spend the last days of her life there, spending her days painting on the roof?

Wilhelmina (1880-1962, Queen from 1890-1948) indeed retired on Het Loo Palace, where she felt most at home. She had a pony wagon especially to ride her around the vast estate, where she did paint the beautiful panoramas and nature.

The painting on the roof actually happened on the Royal Palace Amsterdam. There, hidden for the public downstairs, surrounded by giant statues and near the sound of the carrillon she painted the city's panorama. It must have been a weird sight: the old lady, packed in fur all around and then servile footmen behind her, blowing away in the chilling wind....

Thank you for posting that link. Nice that the owner of the weblog could make some pictures herself, and also of the preperations...

Everything is so well organised with the Oranjes!

Indeed. All royals were provided a personal guide (an aide-de-camp). The nice entrance with the open calèche and six horses. The oldtimer Mercedes bus transporting guests. The nearby Bilderberg hotel totally reserved. The special polos. Very well organized indeed.

Thank you for all the photos.

Judging from the many many photos, it seemed that all those who attended had a wonderful time, especially Prince Willem-Alexander himself. I like the fact that it wasn't too large a party and that he said his friends were there, it makes it seem much more intimate.

One thing about the group picture though: I believe Máxima was a little bit too ahead (actually, you could think that she was the one celebrating her birthday) WA in the picture, plus her arms are hanging at the sides, without grace. I believe she should have stepped a little bit behind him, to give the Prince a more leading role (as the colour of her dress was already outshining!), and arranged her arms a little bit differently!

http://www.royalpress.nl/alIMG_1436.jpg

Last edited:
One thing about the group picture though: I believe Máxima was too ahead (actually, you could think that she was the one celebrating her birthday) WA in the picture, plus her arms are hanging at the sides, without grace. I believe she should have stepped a little bit behind him, to give the Prince a more leading role (as the colour of her dress was already outshining!), and arranged her arms a little bit differently!

I think it depends on the moment. During the photocall Princess Alexia ran away and Princess Catharina-Amalia took a seat on the stairs. There is a constant movement on the stairs. The Princess has also been pointing and waving and chatting etc. during the photocall.

But the Prince is used to it. That all the attention goes to the four Princesses. He doesn't seem to have any jealousy about that.
:flowers:

I love all the photos of this weekend and am grateful for all the posting. I loved what Maxima wore and thought Sophie not too bad but the T shirt on arrival I hope she mananges to look a little smarter than that this time. Though was it a little bit of fun ???? I can only hope. All the other CP's looked great Victoria really looks best in those dark colours.

According to RTL Boulevard several inhabitants of Apeldoorn complained about the noice of the birthday party. Apparently the music lasted untill 05.30.

I cannot help dreaming to be present at occasions like this, it must be so great !

What a time we are living in! Here, in my country, we have wild parties promoted by teens until 5 and even 6, almost every Saturday. And we must swallow the whole thing. You can't barely sleep, but if you goes to the Police Office to complain, they'll see you are a person who doesn't like others to have fun, and that's all.

But if you puts some folkloric music and dances in a nice, familiar party, all the neighbors would come to complain and you must shut up.

And of course, a party promoted by the 40's of a future King must be repressed. Not so odd. I could even excpected it. :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

One thing about the group picture though: I believe Máxima was a little bit too ahead (actually, you could think that she was the one celebrating her birthday) WA in the picture, plus her arms are hanging at the sides, without grace. I believe she should have stepped a little bit behind him, to give the Prince a more leading role (as the colour of her dress was already outshining!), and arranged her arms a little bit differently!

Maxima often stands in front of WA and blocks him out. It's hardly a novelty that she did it on his birthday too. She seems to love attention, and people seem to love giving her attention in return. So, all's well, I would guess. From everything I've read the Dutch adore her. She looked smashing in that wonderfully almost outrageous gown.

I adored Letizia's gown too--so refined and romantic. And Victoria looked smashing too in that deep brown--she's no beauty like her sister, but there is something so endearing about her for me.

No others really stood out for me. Except maybe Mathilde, more for the color. She just does not capture my imagination, regardless of her height and general elegance. But that's just me.

WA and Maxima's girls were too cute. The eldest seems to have a good deal of her mother's personality.

Sweetie ... in that dress she could stand in front of anybody! She was the Queen of the ball and her husband could not have been happier!:wub:

IMO I don't think that Maxima was trying to out shine her husband, but with a personality like hers it's not to hard to out shine anyone. She is full of life and joy and you can just see that. Loved her dress and hair. Letizia looked good, but not great, Mathilda looked wonderful (the color was fantastic). I was pleasantly surprised by MM & Mabel, they looked great, loved the light teal blue on Mabel and MM's dress fit wonderfully.

Well I think, WA is used to it and he seems to enjoy it. He loves his family and what better way to have all the attention on them. In that sense I suppose it was a little disorganized because the children where everywhere.

Sweetie ... in that dress she could stand in front of anybody! She was the Queen of the ball and her husband could not have been happier!:wub:

You might be right.... hahaha but she is not supposed to be 'the Queen of the ball'...at least not yet ;)

Good video and photos! The girls look so sweet, even little Ariane matches. She was awake this time, and is getting big. She can even hold her head up now! Amalia and Alexia were also darlings.

According to this week's Caras magazine (Argentina), both Amalia's and Alexia's dresses were given by Máxima's mother, Mrs. Carmen Cerrutti, as a gift.

In the nationwide newspaper De Telegraaf it was said that Princess Máxima's birthday gift to her spouse was a painted portrait of Princess Alexia, their second daughter.

I guess she chose Alexia for the portrait because she was named after him, right?

He seems to kiss her footsteps so it is not unlikely he wants to spoil her with fantastic jewels

Hahahah I usually visualize him like that...absolutely devoted to her...still I doubt he would spend 2 million bucks for a necklace...or would he??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom