Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th Birthday Celebrations: August 31-September 2, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maxima: stunning appearance although not too sure about the cut of the dress, I love her jewellery!
Queen Beatrix: OH MY GOD
Victoria: not her best choice, weird color and what is that string on the top?
Mette Marit: I love her dress, her style, suits her very well.
Laurentien: one of her better days, I like her hairstyle
Mabel: stunning, a rare winner
Letizia: I love her simple dress in combination with those fancy earrings. Her hairstyle is a blunder, did she do it herself? Would look much better without the bangs.
Cristina: not her best day, the dress is ill fitting and I don't like the cut at the bottom

Best dress of the evening: Mathilde of Belgium
Worst dress of the evening: Sophie Countess of Wessex

Biggest disappointment: Fred and Mary absent. What a shame :eek:

... and as highpriestess mentioned earlier, Felipe could apply for the leading role in James Bond in case he should need a job at some point in the future ... ;)

Lovely pictures!

I did not loved the outfitt of the queen!
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Maxima her dress was lovely, nice colour and I liked verry much her necklace

Laurentien: did not liked het hairstyle, loved the top of the dress but not so much the buttom

Mathilde looks stunning, I really liked her hair and orange dress

dit not quite like Leatitia's dress, liked the top but not the buttom

Elena her dress was beautifull, elegant

I liked Marilene's dress, she looked stunning and beautiful

The Little Girls : Charming, very sweet.
Beatrix : Fabulous. Love the ruffles, love the colour, love the hair. Fab.
Maxima : Very classy, very elegant indeed.
Victoria : Dull in colour, nice in style.
Sophie : Boring
Mathilde : Tough choice, orange.

Best dressed for me would have to be Beatrix.

woo.......finally some glittering events towards the end of the summer!!

I love Letizia's dress and her accessories.....simply stunning!!!
Maxima.....I love her bright pink dress, very lovely! and her little girls.....very sweet!
and...Mabel is finally without the bows!!!! i think that this is one of her best dresses !
Sophie....the worst dress of the evening....
Queen Beatrix....OMG!
Aimee looks very elegant in that dress
Mette Marit....she looks very elegant, the dress and her hairdoo, and everything seems to suit her well!

great pictures everyone! i loved them... the party looked so stylish! didn't the ladies look superb?

i loved the fact maxima's family was also invited!

to start, the big stars of the day: the prince of orange's ladies...

maxima: absolutely adorable. great colour, great cut, great bijoux and adorable hairdo. one of the best ones of the night, in my opinion. i generally don't like colours like that fucsia, but it certainly looks good on her, perhaps because of her summer tan or her personality... *clap clap for maxima*

catharina-amalia, alexia and ariane: oh my god, they are such cuties! so lady-like already. especially ariane, it's so good to see her again, she seems to be growing so quickly!

the other oranges...

laurentien: good! she really did well this time...
mabel: superb! so modern, she has an excelent taste in gala gowns! not quite as nice as the pink one she wore some years ago (a viktor and rolf one for beatrix jubilee, i think), but beautiful as well!
anita: not my favourite, she looks quite washed away in that colour.
aimee: not a great choice of colour either, she had lots of better ones! i'm glad to see her anyway... she seems to be enjoying her pregnancy!

mette-marit: she looks adorable. she has as well a lovely taste in gala gowns.
rosario: quite boring to choose all her gala gowns with the same style. i love the dress, but she wore so many similar ones recently... she should go back to her black-brownish hair again! it looked so much more elegant!
victoria: oh-so-elegant. she is the perfect queen-to-be.
miriam: stylish and sexy. quite a classic "little black dress".
marilene: she had better days, imo.
sophie of liechtenstein: by far, the most elegant of the evening!
letizia: great! wonderful choice and great colour for a summer evening.

quite a surprise the spanish princes attended, i'm so glad! although i'm so sad the danish princes didn't attend! it would be the best future-monarchs picture if they were there as well. wonder if it was because frederik was sailing...

The little girls are just charming. Mabel looks very nice, as does Laurentien, but I am not sure about the hair. Mathilde is very elegant. Leitizia looks lovely, but frail. Maxima looks great. Sophie lacks a lot of dress sense. MM elegant and Victoria who is lovely, must have shopped with Sophie. Blah!! And Beatirx, whom I think the world of, should behead her designer. She looks like something exploded around her. The color is fine the rest is just awful. Get rid of that 15th century collar and those sleeves and she would look so much better.

I hadn't realized that so many royals would be coming to the birthday celebrations. I really liked the color of Maxima's dress and would have preferred Marilene's dress without the jacket. As usual, I did not like what Laurentien was wearing and don't even ask me what was going on with her hair:D! I really like Letizia's dress and thought that it was very appropriate that Mathilde was wearing orange.

I like very much Letizia´s dress and hairdo, the couple with The Prince Felipe was stunning. I like too Maxima, Mette Maritt and Cristina.

Comments re other dresses:

Mabel's: Love the dress! Lovely color for her and the drape and the style are excellent. She's one of the few who doesn't look preganent with the empire waist line or gathering at the waist.

Rosario's: Such a lovely woman with such a stern complexion. I never saw her smile for a photo. Lovely dress but it makes her breast look imbalanced.

Cristina's: I love the top but the style lines across the body and all that fabric at the bottom make her look wider and bigger at the bottom. It's not very flattering. She should have put some efforts into her makeup and hairdo.

Maxima's: Lovely color on her. The top is fine. The waist line and all the ruffles at the bottom that cling to her legs are the problem. They accentuate her hip and makes it look bigger. It's not flattering her. I also don't like the mismatched earings and necklace.

Mathild's: Great color for her. Great top. Equisite pin. But the empire waist line makes her look preganent.

I think the best dressed three women for the night are: Victoria (I love her dress in the big group photo where she took away the shaw. It's a great design although I wish the color were brighter.), Letizia and Mabel. Maxima and Mathilde are the runners-up.

Last edited:
Generally speaking the young geneartion of "royals" are very elgant for this dinner except, I agree totally, the countess of Wessex, absolutly horrible. I don't understand why Rosario Ndal never is smiling, she has always a look of matryr, strange attitud.

The princes of Asturias perfectly at ease, as usual felipe in tuxedo is a true model of elegancy, and Letizia with her so simple dress but very refined in the composition is totally superb with her tanned skin and the pale gown.

The dress of the Princess of brabant is magnific but the orande is a very diffiult color to wear, I'm not sure that it match her very well, question of taste.

The Infanta Cristina is wearing a dress of Valentino, very beautiful, that she wore yet the last year, but yes shei s not at her top may be her make up I don't know.

Obviously Maxima totally splendid, her little girls very charming.

Best dressed:

1. Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands (unbelievable fit and radiating for a 40-years old mother of three)

2. Doña María del Carmen Carricart de Zorreguieta (understated, subdued but yet trés chique)

3. Princess Mabel, Countess Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg (very modern and beautiful diamond-and-aquamarine earrings)

The art déco neclace á la the colourful style of René Lalique was the eyecatcher. Wonderful addition to Princess Máxima's jewelry box!

Wonerfully bejewelled was also Doña María Carolina de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, Princesa de Borbón-Parma, Marquesa de Sala. She wore diamonds from the Orange-Nassau Foundation. It is an eternal shame Prince Felipe saw nothing in this immensely blue-blooded, Catholic, Spanish speaking and excellently educated lady....

Worst dressed:

1. The Queen (I know it is the best, the most exquise and very expensive but she looks like a blown up strawberry)

2. Princess Rosario of Preslav (besides the depressed face, the gown did nothing but accentuated her anorexic look)

3. The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex (Sophie often has misses with her gala wardrobe, I must say)

Last edited:
I love Máxima's colour dress. Strong colors are perfect for her!

Letizia was splendid tonight. I usually don't like her dresses but this one was precious.

Mathilde? What can I say about her? She was perfect (as usual!).

Crown Princess Mary was there yesterday

Biggest disappointment: Fred and Mary absent. What a shame :eek:

Actually Crown Princess Mary was seen next to The Prince of Orange, admiring the fabulous fireworks in the Palace Park. The Princess and the Prince were seen on the rooftop of the palace, where there is a sort of colonnade. In former times Willem III and Mary II used to admire the same fireworks as well from there.

:flowers:

Picture from yesterday's fireworks.

Actually Crown Princess Mary was seen next to The Prince of Orange, admiring the fabulous fireworks in the Palace Park. The Princess and the Prince were seen on the rooftop of the palace, where there is a sort of colonnade. In former times Willem III and Mary II used to admire the same fireworks as well from there.

well, a lady in the public thought she saw Princess Mary, I didn´t hear it from anybody else. It is more likely that the lady wrongly identified the Princess.

Thanks for the video links! I've never heard P. Willem speak before...actually I've never heard the Dutch language spoken.:ROFLMAO:
Well I always think that Dutch, Norwegian and Swedish will probably sound equally 'exotic' for the English speaking community :)

According to the RTL reporters the prince says he regards these royals as friends rather than collegues. She also said that Prince Phillipe and Princess Mathilde regularly go to Villa Eikenhorst on a Friday to stay with the Princes of Orange and his family.

i'm sorry, but i can't say maxima's mum dressed really nicely. as much as i love maxima, and as wonderful as she looked, i think the gown chosen by mrs. zorreguieta, who always does wonderfully at combining, didn't favour her at all. green and grey simply don't go together and the fabrics of the dress and shawl seem impossible to match. not her best, imo. she could have chosen something else, something as discrete (so not to overshadow the star of the day) but a bit more eye-catching.

Crownprince Frederik came just after 22.00 to the party due to some delay in his sailing-program.
His wife did not attend the party!!!
Prince Albert of Monaco also came later.

The happiest I have seen Alexia! They all look wonderful. Maxima's dress does make her hips look a little too big though.

I agree. She never was a phyiscally slender type anyway, but the 'babyfat' is still there and maybe she could better opt for a tulle or organza fluffed skirt indeed.

But her fantastic necklace and the beaming smile for the Prince she visibly adores so much,outshine her unlucky gown.

:wub:

Last edited:
I think that she looks wonderful. She's had three children, and she still manages to look beautiful. I am happy that she isn't a stick figure. I am sick and tired of that being the role model for women. 100 years ago having curves was a good thing.

I think that she looks wonderful. She's had three children, and she still manages to look beautiful. I am happy that she isn't a stick figure. I am sick and tired of that being the role model for women. 100 years ago having curves was a good thing.

Excellently said!!!!!

Hear, hear. You are right, she looked wonderful. She has curves and doesn't look like she might blow away. She looks heathy, not like some.

Painted portrait of Princess Alexia for the Prince / Cartier necklace

In the nationwide newspaper De Telegraaf it was said that Princess Máxima's birthday gift to her spouse was a painted portrait of Princess Alexia, their second daughter.

Most likely The Prince, who is reported to be unconditionally devoted to his three daughters, will have appreciated this geste by his spouse.

The origins from necklace which looks very much alike the $ 2 million dollars tutti frutti necklace once owned by Daisy Fellowes, is unknown. Was it a gift of the Prince for his spouse? He seems to kiss her footsteps so it is not unlikely he wants to spoil her with fantastic jewels (the Princess already has the most jewels of all her colleagues, with exception of Camilla of course).

Simular in design but the stones are completely different.

Back
Top Bottom