Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th Birthday Celebrations: August 31-September 2, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually CP Frederik turned up a few hours later (after 22.00) and was not on the pic.
He had all the time to schmooze with other CPs.
The guestlist was apparently not complete
How do you know he was there, if he was not on the official picture and not on the guestlist? Did they mention it on TV?

Well, I would never have thought I would say a thing like that but... For me the best dresses were those of Mabel and Laurentien. IMO they are usually two of the worst royal dressers but this time I really like what they are wearing, young and fresh and still very elegant.

I think all of the younger royals were dressed nicely, no fashion desasters this time (no, not even Sophie Wessex).
IMO Maxima was too pink (I really dislike that colour) and Letizia too pale/tiny (something looks wrong) but all in all they still looked very nice (but IMO were certainly not the best dressed).

But the stars of the show were those three little girls, they are very cute.

Last edited:
How do you know he was there, if he was not on the official picture and not on the guestlist? Did they mention it on TV?

Well, I would never have thought I would say a thing like that but... For me the best dresses were those of Mabel and Laurentien. IMO they are usually two of the worst royal dressers but this time I really like what they are wearing, young and fresh and still very elegant.

I think all of the younger royals were dressed nicely, no fashion desasters this time (no, not even Sophie Wessex).
IMO Maxima was too pink (I really dislike that colour) and Letizia too pale but all in all they still looked very good.

But the stars of the show were those three little girls, they are very cute.
The funny thing is that Queen Beatrix had 3 Boys and Prince Alexander 3 Girls!!

Maxima and Mette-Marit are the evening's best dressed in my opinion :flowers:

Letizia looks so "blah" and borring. She always wears those kind of dresses. Why doesn't she wear something like that red dress in denmark at the theatre ? (M&F 's pre-wedding night)

The tastes are a very strange question of observation: For you the Princess of Asturias is boring when she is totally - for me - refined. For you Letizia should had been totally estupendous as she did in her red dress in the wedding of Frederick and Mary - where it was a lot of people.

It will be very easy for Letizia to be totally estupendous in a glamourous style - look at her fantastic "little black dress" of the farewell dinner of the 28 of august in Palma- She has chosen to be extremely elegant and in refined in the descretion in a dinner where she didn't be the main "attraction". What a good sens of the protocole and what a good diplomatic attitud!

In the life, you know, it's not usefull to be the first evry day! ( even if for me she was the first at equality with Maxima! very good point for her !)

Last edited:
, no fashion desasters this time (no, not even Sophie Wessex).

Eeerh..... Her Most Gracious Majesty wore probably the most exquise, most elaborate, most expensive and best couture gown. Nevertheless it was a nightmare.

:eek:

It is a pity Prince Charles and Camilla weren't there. I'm sure the two of them would have enjoyed the stylish but yet relaxed party at these wonderful surroundings. The same for the two Wales' princes of course.

Last edited:
Eeerh..... Her Most Gracious Majesty wore probably the most exquise, most elaborate, most expensive and best couture gown. Nevertheless it was a nightmare.

:eek:
I wrote "the younger royals", I must admit I don't pay much attention to the elder ones and couldn't tell what they are wearing or whether they are wearing anything at all. I just assume they do. :lol:

Craftmanship and couture

Your picture showed the amazing craftmanship and couture with which Her Majesty's gown was made. The backside is wonderful!

Too bad the total image simply did not fit. Too much an explosion of strawberry!

According to´the newspaper ´Telegraaf´´ the prince expected most gusts to come on saturday, but very much to his surprise over 100 were already there on a friday evening, giving him a sort of surprise party.

Saturday during the day there were all kinds of little games that could be done like quizzes and football.

Letizia's dress is beautiful, but she looks too tired, too thin. Her hair is in two colors with big roots showing. Her arms are way too thin and the hairdo only makes her head look bigger.

Letizia's hair is a complete mess. I wonder if a hairdresser did that style - doesn't look like. As you mention, the big roots showing and those bangs ... what has happened to her once so wonderful hair? It's just awful these days.

I like her dress, a different colour may have been better as she does look pale, as other posters say, but on the other hand the colour goes very well with the special earrings, also a good balance to the simple cut.

The tastes are a very strange question of observation: For you the Princess of Asturias is boring when she is totally - for me - refined. For you Letizia should had been totally estupendous as she did in her red dress in the wedding of Frederick and Mary - where it was a lot of people.

It will be very easy for Letizia to be totally estupendous in a glamourous style - look at her fantastic "little black dress" of the farewell dinner of the 28 of august in Palma- She has chosen to be extremely elegant and in refined in the descretion in a dinner where she didn't be the main "attraction". What a good sens of the protocole and what a good diplomatic attitud!

I agree with you, adelaide, but only that tastes are a very strange question of observation and that Letizia's little black dress was fantastic indeed - at least for a cocktail party and no matter how hard I try I cannot see a good sens of protocol or a good diplomatic attitude :rolleyes:

I might be the only only who doesn't quite like Máxima's dress... though the colour is vibrant (and suits her well), it is maybe a too strong pink. And the ruffles in the skirt...I would have skipped them.

The necklace was, though, gorgeous, she is tanned and has recovered her weight!

The hairdo is, I think, a mixture between the one she had at Prinsesdag 2006 and the one from the avant premiere of 'Zwarteboek', also in september 2006.

Since Maxima seems to have naturally almost black hair I wonder whether this is possible to dye it blonde for years. I remember on Alexia´s birthday you could see the dark hairline so at least she must dye the hairline always again.

Hello, I am new to this forum. So far, I have liked many of your contributions. Good job!

I have a question: do you know who is the woman standing next to Letizia in during the fireworks?

Thanks Lula, that is a great find! I believe Baroness Christina von der Recke is on one of the chairs, she is a sister of the late Prince Claus. Mabel seems to be wearing her wizard of Oz shoes again.

Hello, I am new to this forum. So far, I have liked many of your contributions. Good job!

I have a question: do you know who is the woman standing next to Letizia in during the fireworks?

My guess: Princess Rosario of Preslav? It can only be someone who is known to the Princess, seeing the arm-in-arm. The blonde lady might be one of the noble guests.

Friends. No colleagues.

The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima expressly did invite friends.

We also know that -for an example- Crown Prince Haakon and -Princess Mette Marit have had a sailing-weekend on the Friesian lakes together with the Oranges (including Constantijn and Laurentien).

Remember the Japanese Crown Prince and -Princess spending their two week holidays at the Queen's private retreat hidden behind Het Loo Palace Park.

The Count and Countess of Wessex seems to be amongst the royals and nobles which are in private befriended. According to the news they are regulary invited for a weekend in the Prince's private villa on the royal estate 'De Horsten' near The Hague. It is nice to hear such details, because it sheds a different light on the supposed 'insular attitude' of the Windsors.
The Prince of Wales is more of the generation of The Queen and they have met eacht other numerous times during their life, of course.

This also shed a new light on the absence of Crown Prince Frederik (although it is claimed he was there after 22.00 o'clock). Wouldn't you cancel a sailing meet for a friend? The Prince only becomes 40 once. But you can sail so many more times in your life. Maybe there are simply not that warm ties yet between Willem-Alexander & Máxima and Frederik & Mary?

I mean, if Frederik had to act as a Regent, okay. But it was just one of the many sailing events.

:ermm:

My guess: Princess Rosario of Preslav? It can only be someone who is known to the Princess, seeing the arm-in-arm. The blonde lady might be one of the noble guests.

Or one of the none noble guests. The newpapers stressed that the Prince invited a lot of non-noble friends from his student-society, housemates etc. The lady in purple is armed with the gentleman that stands behind the Prince of Asturias, not with Letizia btw. IMHO she doesn´t resemble Rosario, who has a more boney facestructure.

:eek:mabels shoes Supload.com // Free Image Hosting looks like friso is having a good time thanks lula for the photos
when were the fireworks? they are in different clothes so i wondered if it was before or after the fancy dress event. love the queens wrap and maxima and WA look so happy in their own world in a couple of those- thanks again

I agree with you, adelaide, but only that tastes are a very strange question of observation and that Letizia's little black dress was fantastic indeed - at least for a cocktail party and no matter how hard I try I cannot see a good sens of protocol or a good diplomatic attitude :rolleyes:

But I forget that Letizia like first of all to be on the spotlights, it means that yesterday it was totally unsuccesful, isen't it, at least to imagine that tobe refined and discret is an other way to capture the attention... or other hypothesis to have a true mess on the head instead a good and styled hairdo is also a way to capture all the looks when all the hairdoes were absolutly ok?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for showing crisinaki. I believe the Princesses tried to escape their parents and wanted to go outside to see all the ladies in their dresses. Maxima later had to fetch them.

yeah, I guess that was the moment where Constantjin had to cave-carry Alexia :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom