Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th Birthday Celebrations: August 31-September 2, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess: Princess Rosario of Preslav? It can only be someone who is known to the Princess, seeing the arm-in-arm. The blonde lady might be one of the noble guests.

It is Princess Miriam of Tirnovo,wife of Prince Kardam of Bulgaria.
:flowers:

I have read on a dutch language board that on sunday the Queen, her grandchildren, Mabel, Friso and several foreign guests went to the ´Apenheul´ in Apeldoorn. The Apenheul is a zoo for monkeys.

As usual, Crisiñaki, your work as photoreporter is estupendous. Always the good pics, the best portraits, I can't imagine how you can have as a collector, CD to archive your tresor.

Thanks a lot to share with us this fantastic pics of this birthday.

Every body looks very relax and happy, the true kind touch given by the little princesses make this fathers very sympathetic.

I always been found of Maxima because it looks to me that she is very in acordance to her time, her generation, the important topics of the world where she can reasonablely to have a role ( microcredit ) because her professional background. but her motherhood has mad of her a woman very more charming and it seems obvious that the couple is very linked in the aim to take care of their girls in a large acception of their duty.
May be it's a characteristic of this new generation of Crown Princes who think that they have to take care of their babies by themselves the most it possible according the others royal duties.

Last edited:
Just a kind of special events that I love : all my favourite royals there, lovely dresses, lovely jewels.... a great way to start a day !

The sailing event Fred participated in was scheduled months ahead of the 40th birthday party. The sailing competition was important to Denmark. What is the prince to do withdraw from something that was important to his country or go out to a party? If he withdrew from the sailing competition for a party he would have been critised as well.

Stellad

I thought that somebody just swore that they saw Mary watching the fireworks. And didn't someone else say that Frederik and Prince Albert came later?

This also shed a new light on the absence of Crown Prince Frederik (although it is claimed he was there after 22.00 o'clock). Wouldn't you cancel a sailing meet for a friend? The Prince only becomes 40 once. But you can sail so many more times in your life. Maybe there are simply not that warm ties yet between Willem-Alexander & Máxima and Frederik & Mary?

I mean, if Frederik had to act as a Regent, okay. But it was just one of the many sailing events.

:ermm:
This subject has been rehashed to many times that it is almost impressive that you are still ignorant of it :lol:
It was not one of many sailing events; it was a leg of the Farr 40 World Championship planned a long time ago - and Frederik was heading his boat. So should he just leave?? :wacko: Get real.

crisinaki, thank you so much for all those lovely HQ pics! :flowers: They really show the detail of all the gowns and jewels!

My pleasure Jess! :flowers:
A royal gathering deserves HQ pics, too bad there wasn't a gala event with tiaras and such:neutral:
But anyway, I'm still happy and I really liked this event, W-A looks radiant, almost like he couldn't believe his luck:wub:

This subject has been rehashed to many times that it is almost impressive that you are still ignorant of it :lol:
It was not one of many sailing events; it was a leg of the Farr 40 World Championship planned a long time ago - and Frederik was heading his boat. So should he just leave?? :wacko: Get real.

Is he Freddie Laborde de Monpezat, the competitive sailer, or is he His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, the future King?

Anyway, the Prince of Orange's birthday looked nice and I hope Frederik had a nice time on his sailyacht.

:wacko:

Its just that Frederik and Mary don't seem to be very eager to show up at Dutch Royal events. There is always some sailing event or something going on, or it seems that way to me. But on the other hand, we haven't seen the Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima attending the baptisms of Prince Christian or Princess Isabella either...Difficult. But well, I was just hoping to see them in The Netherlands together with all the other CP-couples.

Is he Freddie Laborde de Monpezat, the competitive sailer, or is he His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, the future King?

Anyway, the Prince of Orange's birthday looked nice and I hope Frederik had a nice time on his sailyacht.

:wacko:

I am convinced that he and his crew not only had a 'nice time' but really enjoyed winning the last race of the ones held in Copenhagen in this prestigious competition.

I am surprised that you use nicknames for royalty - not sure it adds anything to the credibility of any discussion.
So it's also Willie Alex and Max for you then?? I'll be sure to remember that :ROFLMAO:

Its just that Frederik and Mary don't seem to be very eager to show up at Dutch Royal events. There is always some sailing event or something going on, or it seems that way to me. But on the other hand, we haven't seen the Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima attending the baptisms of Prince Christian or Princess Isabella either...Difficult. But well, I was just hoping to see them in The Netherlands together with all the other CP-couples.
Has there been other events which they were not able to attend due to previous engagements?
I remember reading that they have paid at least one private visit to the Dutch CP couple - a hunting event as far as I remember.

Maybe there are simply not that warm ties yet between Willem-Alexander & Máxima and Frederik & Mary?

Relationships between royal's and indeed royal houses, seems to be of interest to many, not least of all myself so I'd like to imagine that the 'relationship' between the Crown Princely couples is a pleasant and reciprocated one.

Did not Mary and Frederik make a visit to Wilem-Alexander and Maxima some time ago now? A hunting party or...?

Anyway, the pictures from King Harald's birthday celebrations shows all four enjoying what seemed to be a relaxed and humerous conversation on the balcony.

What events have they attended "together"...

Mary and Frederik's Wedding
Private trip made by the Danish CP couple to the Netherlands
Christening of Prince Sverre Magnus (minus Willem-Alexander)
60th Birthday celebrations of King Carl XVI Gustav (Minus Frederik)
Anniversary celebrations in Luxembourg
70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald

Any others?

It could also be that Frederik and Mary weren´t invited. Personally I am more surprised by the absense of the Berleburgs.

Maxima and Frederik also met at the birthday celebrations of Queen Sonja. Apart from that there is a sort of club of Crownprinces and another one of Crownprincesses that meets every now and than. This caused Maxima to refer to Letizia as Metizia, as she was the only non-M there (the remark was made before Camila, though I doubt that the British join in).

I am surprised that you use nicknames for royalty - not sure it adds anything to the credibility of any discussion.
So it's also Willie Alex and Max for you then?? I'll be sure to remember that :ROFLMAO:

I used this because my (possibly wrong) idea is that Frederik often give me the impression that he'd rather be a Freddie Laborde de Montpezat than the proud and selfconscious Heir of Europe's eldest monarchy.

I don't see this in -name an example- Crown Princess Victoria, who seems to feel the kingship in every DNA-molecule of her body.

Anyway, it is okay with me.

Last edited:
This thread is about the 40th birthday celebrations of the Prince of orange and although Frederiks attendance or absence is related to that there is no need to start a discussion here about Frederiks suitability as a Crownprince.

So perhaps we can stop the discussion about the Danish Crownprince here. Those who feel the need to elaborate more on the subject can go to the appropriate thread in the Danish Forum.

Thank you,

Marengo, Dutch Forum Moderator.

thanks for posting all of the pictures,
really liked MM dress , also victoria , even if it was rather dark !! ( loved the bit in the video , where MM and Victoria and Haakon , came out of the mini bus and swopped places .)
it was nice to see the Spanish Royal couple out and about, they dont often come to gathering like this , must say really dont like sophie's choice of dress !! not nice ,wasnt to keen on The Queens out fit at all , Maxiam I thought looked lovely !!

I love Letizia'a dress I think we can call her " a fairy tale Princess" in this beautiful dress. It is good to see these Royal couple mix with other royals sometimes! Although I don't like her hair it doesn't flatter her face at all!

It could also be that Frederik and Mary weren´t invited.

One would be surprised if that were the case to be honest. When every other European Crown Prince/ss and Consort (Minus the Prince of Wales) is in attendance I find the possibility that they weren't even invited most unlikely :)

One would be surprised if that were the case to be honest. When every other European Crown Prince/ss and Consort (Minus the Prince of Wales) is in attendance I find the possibility that they weren't even invited most unlikely :)

Exactly. Why wouldn't WA not invite them? At least Fred showed up, why would he do so if he wasn't invited in the first place - he's not a party crasher, I suppose :D.

I was disappointed he and Mary did not make it as all other couples or friends did but I am sure WA accepted that the race was an important event for Fred, and was happy that he made the effort to be around at all, at a later stage. Why not see it that way instead of speculating that he was not invited? It was a private party after all, I do not say I share Fred's decision but I accept it and I am sure, so did WA.

Last edited:
When every other European Crown Prince/ss and Consort (Minus the Prince of Wales) is in attendance I find the possibility that they weren't even invited most unlikely :)

The Prince of Orange explicitly stated he had only invited friends. The correspondents on NOS and RTL noth stated that it were frequent guests on Villa Eikenhorst. For an example the invitation went explicit to the Earl and Countess of Wessex rather than to "the British royal family". Apparently the Prince of Orange has a personal bond with Prince Edward, he does not have with Prince Charles (not his generation) and Prince William (also not his generation).

I know that the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark have been guests at Het Loo, but you never know if it 'clicked' between the two couples.

Note that from the Jordan royal family the invitation went not to the King or his family, but to Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath and their families. Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath are so very close with the Queen and her three sons. It is like uncle Hassan and aunt Sarvath for them. This was also a reason for King Abdullah to take them with him on his State Visit to the Netherlands. This was a very unsusal geste by the King, but he must have been aware about how dear Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath are to the Queen and the thee Princes. Their daughters Princess Sumaya and Princess Badiya are like nieces to the Princes. They know each other for decades. No wonder they were incuded at last year's State Visit and at this weekend's party.

The only surprise was Japan. Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako have been personal guests of the couple for two weeks, spending a wonderful holiday at the Queen's private retreat. They did not show up either.

Last edited:
Well, I found more pics:

Grandpa Zorreguieta and Amalia (cutest pic EVER) :wub:

(IPA, Seeger)

Ha...!

I knew I was right by putting Doña María del Carmen Cerruti de Zorreguieta in my top three of best dressed ladies! On your fantastic picture you see how great the texture is of her golden gown. She looks great and très chique. And she is a 73 years old lady, wow, she looks so un-granny!

She is wearing Princess Máxima's earrings!

Exactly. Why wouldn't WA not invite them? At least Fred showed up, why would he do so if he wasn't invited in the first place - he's not a party crasher, I suppose :D.

It is not known if Frederik showed up or not. On a Dutch language board a poster said that she heard that from somebody who could know. But the day before a lady said Princess Mary attended the fireworks, which was obviously not true.

The Prince of Orange said he only invited friends, I don´t know how close he is with the Dansih crownprince.

The Prince of Orange explicitly stated he had only invited friends. The correspondents on NOS and RTL noth stated that it were frequent guests on Villa Eikenhorst. For an example the invitation went explicit to the Earl and Countess of Wessex rather than to "the British royal family". Apparently the Prince of Orange has a personal bond with Prince Edward, he does not have with Prince Charles (not his generation) and Prince William (also not his generation).

I know that the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark have been guests at Het Loo, but you never know if it 'clicked' between the two couples.

Sorry Henri M, I still don't believe Frederik and Mary would have been left off the guestlist. And I think people are possibly assuming they weren't invited because the didn't attend. That's being a little hasty in drawing conclusions I think.

Last edited:
I like Letizia's dress. It's very simple and it suits her very well. Her accessories are nice. Not too much since lots of jewels will not look good on her bec of her small figure. It says on Hola that Letizia will start her royal duties again. Good for her. :)

I love Maxima but the color is too pink for me however this kind of color suits her very well.

I like Mabel's also but the dress doesn't give any sort of flattering at all. It doesn't suit her face though.

Cristina's red gown was a recycle but it's great on her.

Mathilde's gown was good on her. She's really a classic princess.

Mette Marit's was ok while Victoria's well the color doesn't suit her at all.

Countess Sophie's worst dress of the day. There are a lot of maternity dress to look for but not this one. It's very informal for me. It's more of a summer dress.:eek:

I think nobody said that the couple wasn´t invited but that it was a possibility that the couple hadn´t been invited. The latter is not a hasty conclusion I think. But it is more likely that they were invited and declined the invitation.

Back
Top Bottom