Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th Birthday Celebrations: August 31-September 2, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for Frederik: why couldn't he just have come in time and with Mary (why was she not there?)? Sorry, but like the other poster said: he's not a sailor. If it had been an official event he attended, I would have understood.

and... why would prince frederik cancel his sailing, programmed for a long time to assist a simple birthday party? :ermm:

once again princess mathilde blowed off all the other ladies!

As for Frederik: why couldn't he just have come in time and with Mary (why was she not there?)? Sorry, but like the other poster said: he's not a sailor. If it had been an official event he attended, I would have understood.

... he can sail everytime he wants... but the 40th birthday of the prince of orange will be just once in a lifetime! :wub:

But given that this is considered a private event as well, and doesn't appear on Frederik's official schedule at all - one could say that he also has a responsibility to his team-mates onboard the sailboat when they are competing. Competitions aren't postponed because of birthdays. Also given that Frederik was instrumental in bringing the World Championships of Farr40 (in which he was competing, by the way.) to Copenhagen, it would seem rather strange if he were not to attend that. They might not place in a high position, but sports would be rather boring if just the ones who placed extremely well participated.

If it had been a huge official event he arrived late at because he was sailing, I could understand the complaints - but this is a private event and has about as much to do with his official work as Crown Prince of Denmark as the sailing does. I would actually say that in this one case, that the World Championships in Copenhagen has more to do with it than the birthday party of the Prince of Orange (which he also managed to attend.)

I have already posted them in this post:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/661254-post204.html

the two imageshack pics are the ones with Letizia and Felipe:flowers:

Thanks a lot, when I wrote my post they aren't there ( I'm not in my town home, I'm working with low debit, this explain that )

The winner of the best tuxedo: Felipe of Spain, what a young silhouet!

Even if the earrings, the bracelet and - thanks to Crisiñaki- the little pic in her hair, of Letizia are from Swarowski or other fantaisy jewelles makers, they absolutly stuning and match up totally with her gown. A detail impoetant, with the Crisiñaki's pic, we can see how beautiful is the Letizia 's skin.
She didn't make the error to wear a gown on a tanned skin where we can see the bathingsuit's marks ( the wife of a son a princess Margareth, if Im not wrong)

Th three little girls: true loves:wub::angel:

Maxima and Mette-Marit are the evening's best dressed in my opinion :flowers:

Letizia looks so "blah" and borring. She always wears those kind of dresses. Why doesn't she wear something like that red dress in denmark at the theatre ? (M&F 's pre-wedding night)

But given that this is considered a private event as well, and doesn't appear on Frederik's official schedule at all - one could say that he also has a responsibility to his team-mates onboard the sailboat when they are competing. Competitions aren't postponed because of birthdays. Also given that Frederik was instrumental in bringing the World Championships of Farr40 (in which he was competing, by the way.) to Copenhagen, it would seem rather strange if he were not to attend that. They might not place in a high position, but sports would be rather boring if just the ones who placed extremely well participated.

If it had been a huge official event he arrived late at because he was sailing, I could understand the complaints - but this is a private event and has about as much to do with his official work as Crown Prince of Denmark as the sailing does. I would actually say that in this one case, that the World Championships in Copenhagen has more to do with it than the birthday party of the Prince of Orange (which he also managed to attend.)

I agree with your post. Since this birthday was a private event, Crown Prince of Denmark can do whatever he wishes. He was sailing in a important competition in Denmark, not in any other country. So he represented Denmark in a better way sailing than attending a private event in the Netherlands. I was sorry because Mary was not there, but it's very understandable. After all, she has a very little daughter to care.

I can't stop to look at Mathilde's dress, it was stunning!

I believe The Princess of Asturias also had a little daughter to take care for....

Princess Maxima looked so beautiful, I love the color of her dress, her hair, her jewelry...simply gorgeous!

This picture says all...

This picture is so telling about the special position of these two little girls....

A guard from the Koninklijke Marechaussee standing outside presents his klewang (style of sword used in he Netherlands East-Indies). An uniformed footman is behind the future Queen and her sister who are standing on a red carpet, on the giant doorstep of Het Loo Palace.

Great picture, by courtesy of Joris on the BRMB.

Fair point, I can see the relevance of it.

You're saying that after all, he's CP and by inviting all these colleagues, even if he calls them 'friends', he's doing his duty of sorts. That's true. Still, I got a bit miffed by this family's ever present disdain for the taxpayer, i.e. the Groene Draek's bill etc. as it recently was revealed.

They do often want their cake and then some but in this case you're right, the guy's just doing his job, fair enough.

In the 1950's Princess Wilhelmina, owner of the vast estate, donated it for free to the State, with restrictions for the usufruct and the condition of a re-contribution when the Netherlands would become a republic. Later in 1975 the palace no longer was used as a regular royal residence. But there is a gebruiksovereenkomst (user's agreement) that the palace will have a museal destination, but is available for use by the Royal House. More or less the same construction as with the Royal Palace Amsterdam, which has a museal destination as well.

And for using the taxpayer for the upkeep of the private sailyacht: it is not their fault, but that of the successive responsible governments allowing it for decades. If they said no, then it is over. But they always said yes.... And the Rijkswerf (State Wharf) had no any problem with it.

This picture is so telling about the special position of these two little girls....

A guard from the Koninklijke Marechaussee standing outside presents his klewang (style of sword used in he Netherlands East-Indies). An uniformed footman is behind the future Queen and her sister who are standing on a red carpet, on the giant doorstep of Het Loo Palace.

No way that is a Klewang. This is an ordinary 'Sabel' not a thing with curves like a Klewang. You sure have a habit of making things look more extravagant than they are in real life :rolleyes:

BTW on a video it showed that little Amalia got out of the palace and looked at the guard, maybe she was checking out if it was a real person at all!
These gatherings must be awfully impressive for little children.

Wonderful night and pics. thanks so much for the large one, i just adore then.

Speaking of my favorate royal couple Filipe and Letiza is great see then here, and see letizia in evening dress and with new jewels. I belive is the second time we see her in the midle of royals. thanks thanks so much again all the ones post pics :

It is a klewang

No way that is a Klewang. This is an ordinary 'Sabel' not a thing with curves like a Klewang. You sure have a habit of making things look more extravagant than they are in real life :rolleyes:

Sorry, but the ceremonial guards of the Koninklijke Marechaussee do use klewangs indeed. They were even the first ones in the Netherlands armed forces to do so! The KNIL (Royal Netherlands East-Indies Army) copied this effective sword.

The ceremonial tenue has various appearances. The arms used by the Royal Marechaussee when wearing ceremonial tenue is a sword. For the guards and the junior officiers this is the "Klewang Marechaussee M". For the senior officers this is the "sword M1912". There are various types of sword-tassels, depending on the occasion and the rank. The guards use an orange tassel attached to their klewang. The junior officiers a white tassel and the senior officers a white-with-silver tassel.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the ceremonial guards of the Koninklijke Marechaussee do use klewangs indeed. They were even the first ones in the Netherlands armed forces to do so! The KNIL (Royal Netherlands East-Indies Army) copied this effective sword.

My fault perhaps.. I was under the impression that only the former KNIL used these and other army regiments used 'sabels'. At least that is how it is stated on Wikipedia. Ceremoniele tenue van de Marechaussee - Wikipedia
But that site is a bit 'besmet' isn't it.

Last edited:
Waltzing Alexia

A (slightly manipulated) video. You will see a short commercial first.

Click here.

:wub:

I believe The Princess of Asturias also had a little daughter to take care for....

Letizia is Letizia, and Mary is Mary.

This is a very good picture indeed. The formality and dignity of the guard contrast with the sweetness and curiosity of these two littles Princesses. They are adorable! :wub:

And you think that's fair? Again, I'm glad not to be paying taxes for this family. Don't get me wrong I've come to love Alexander's common sense and vision when it comes to matters like water policy and other duties, but all teh same, stuff like this, on top of all the privileges this non elected dude (that's really what he is, folks, face it) already enjoys, I can't help but think: Freeloaders! Just when he was growing on me!

Because fair is fair: who's paying for this 'private' party?

The Dutch royal family owned this property until they "gave" it to the Dutch public so that the dutch public could enjoy seeing their history. It was given with the caveat that they be able to use it for private and public events when they so choose. The dutch public did not buy this from the royal family. So if they want to use it once in a while, I think that is perfectly fine.

And I would doubt very seriously that public funds paid for any part of this party. The dutch RF is very conscientious when it comes to that and generally speaking do not use public funds for private events. Furthermore, why would they need to? They are one of the wealthiest royal families.

Above and beyond that, whilst they want to have this party as private as possible, they are also conscientious of the fact that they are public figures and they are trying to balance the best that they can with giving the public a look at them, while trying to maintain a bit of downtime. I admire that and I am glad that they do it this way. We have more photo shoots with the Dutch Rf on what would be considered private occasions than with most royal families. Certainly we don't see pictures of young childrens birthdays from the Beligian, British, Notwegian or Jordanian royal families, and less often pictures of their vacations than the Dutch.

In any case, I think that the way that they did it is perfectly acceptable given the facts.

There is some act foreseen for today?

Maybe I am simple minded but personally the cutest part of the video for me was when Prince Constantijn carried Alexia up the steps to her mummy and grandma while Laurentien tickcled her chin. I love tender "private" moments like that between family:wub:

Thanks for posting that video marilyne. The arrival in coach, lackeys, horses etc. looks rather charming. Willem-Alexander says he hoped that there would eb a lot ofdancing as he became a bit latin.

The reportors asked Letixia what present they bought for the Crownprince to which she just laughed and probably said they werent going to tell.

How old is Mrs Zorreguieta btw, she looks rather well IMHO

--
Funny that Alexia and Amalia went outside again to see what was happening.

Maybe I am simple minded but personally the cutest part of the video for me was when Prince Constantijn carried Alexia up the steps to her mummy and grandma while Laurentien tickcled her chin. I love tender "private" moments like that between family:wub:
Yes you will never see something like that between Infanta Cristina with Leonor or Little sofia.I love our Dutch Royal Family.You can see they have a good family realtionship.

thanks for these beautiful pictures!!!

Letizia is wonderful (as always!lol)!! I love her dress and her hair! so beautiful!!

Yes you will never see something like that between Infanta Cristina with Leonor or Little sofia.I love our Dutch Royal Family.You can see they have a good family realtionship.

It reminds me of the winter photo session in Lech when Maxima was holding hands with little Eloise. Also when Laurentien carried Amalia down the aisle at her christening. They seem to be a very loving family

I one of the videos you could see the Infanta interacting with the 2 little Princesses:wub:

Maxima looks stunning. Beautiful dress, necklace, make-up and hair. Letizia's dress is beautiful, but she looks too tired, too thin. Her hair is in two colors with big roots showing. Her arms are way too thin and the hairdo only makes her head look bigger. Sorry, but she was not the best dressed this time. Maxima wins. She looks healthy and so happy and full of life.

It reminds me of the winter photo session in Lech when Maxima was holding hands with little Eloise. Also when Laurentien carried Amalia down the aisle at her christening. They seem to be a very loving family
They are, I can't wait to see Amalia playing with Leonor!! Both Girls are soooooooooooooo spontaneos.

Back
Top Bottom