The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima and family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

crisinaki, thank you so much for all those lovely HQ pics! They really show the detail of all the gowns and jewels!

Old 09-03-2007, 02:39 AM
Heir Apparent

My pleasure Jess!
A royal gathering deserves HQ pics, too bad there wasn't a gala event with tiaras and such
But anyway, I'm still happy and I really liked this event, W-A looks radiant, almost like he couldn't believe his luck

Old 09-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
This subject has been rehashed to many times that it is almost impressive that you are still ignorant of it
It was not one of many sailing events; it was a leg of the Farr 40 World Championship planned a long time ago - and Frederik was heading his boat. So should he just leave?? Get real.
Is he Freddie Laborde de Monpezat, the competitive sailer, or is he His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, the future King?

Anyway, the Prince of Orange's birthday looked nice and I hope Frederik had a nice time on his sailyacht.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:14 AM
Commoner

Its just that Frederik and Mary don't seem to be very eager to show up at Dutch Royal events. There is always some sailing event or something going on, or it seems that way to me. But on the other hand, we haven't seen the Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima attending the baptisms of Prince Christian or Princess Isabella either...Difficult. But well, I was just hoping to see them in The Netherlands together with all the other CP-couples.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
Is he Freddie Laborde de Monpezat, the competitive sailer, or is he His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, the future King?

Anyway, the Prince of Orange's birthday looked nice and I hope Frederik had a nice time on his sailyacht.

I am convinced that he and his crew not only had a 'nice time' but really enjoyed winning the last race of the ones held in Copenhagen in this prestigious competition.

I am surprised that you use nicknames for royalty - not sure it adds anything to the credibility of any discussion.
So it's also Willie Alex and Max for you then?? I'll be sure to remember that
Old 09-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siepie View Post
Its just that Frederik and Mary don't seem to be very eager to show up at Dutch Royal events. There is always some sailing event or something going on, or it seems that way to me. But on the other hand, we haven't seen the Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima attending the baptisms of Prince Christian or Princess Isabella either...Difficult. But well, I was just hoping to see them in The Netherlands together with all the other CP-couples.
Has there been other events which they were not able to attend due to previous engagements?
I remember reading that they have paid at least one private visit to the Dutch CP couple - a hunting event as far as I remember.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Maybe there are simply not that warm ties yet between Willem-Alexander & Máxima and Frederik & Mary?

Relationships between royal's and indeed royal houses, seems to be of interest to many, not least of all myself so I'd like to imagine that the 'relationship' between the Crown Princely couples is a pleasant and reciprocated one.

Did not Mary and Frederik make a visit to Wilem-Alexander and Maxima some time ago now? A hunting party or...?

Anyway, the pictures from King Harald's birthday celebrations shows all four enjoying what seemed to be a relaxed and humerous conversation on the balcony.

What events have they attended "together"...

Mary and Frederik's Wedding
Private trip made by the Danish CP couple to the Netherlands
Christening of Prince Sverre Magnus (minus Willem-Alexander)
60th Birthday celebrations of King Carl XVI Gustav (Minus Frederik)
Anniversary celebrations in Luxembourg
70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald

Any others?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It could also be that Frederik and Mary weren´t invited. Personally I am more surprised by the absense of the Berleburgs.

Maxima and Frederik also met at the birthday celebrations of Queen Sonja. Apart from that there is a sort of club of Crownprinces and another one of Crownprincesses that meets every now and than. This caused Maxima to refer to Letizia as Metizia, as she was the only non-M there (the remark was made before Camila, though I doubt that the British join in).
Old 09-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I am surprised that you use nicknames for royalty - not sure it adds anything to the credibility of any discussion.
So it's also Willie Alex and Max for you then?? I'll be sure to remember that
I used this because my (possibly wrong) idea is that Frederik often give me the impression that he'd rather be a Freddie Laborde de Montpezat than the proud and selfconscious Heir of Europe's eldest monarchy.

I don't see this in -name an example- Crown Princess Victoria, who seems to feel the kingship in every DNA-molecule of her body.

Anyway, it is okay with me.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Administrator

This thread is about the 40th birthday celebrations of the Prince of orange and although Frederiks attendance or absence is related to that there is no need to start a discussion here about Frederiks suitability as a Crownprince.

So perhaps we can stop the discussion about the Danish Crownprince here. Those who feel the need to elaborate more on the subject can go to the appropriate thread in the Danish Forum.

Thank you,

Marengo, Dutch Forum Moderator.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Serene Highness

thanks for posting all of the pictures,
really liked MM dress , also victoria , even if it was rather dark !! ( loved the bit in the video , where MM and Victoria and Haakon , came out of the mini bus and swopped places .)
it was nice to see the Spanish Royal couple out and about, they dont often come to gathering like this , must say really dont like sophie's choice of dress !! not nice ,wasnt to keen on The Queens out fit at all , Maxiam I thought looked lovely !!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I love Letizia'a dress I think we can call her " a fairy tale Princess" in this beautiful dress. It is good to see these Royal couple mix with other royals sometimes! Although I don't like her hair it doesn't flatter her face at all!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
It could also be that Frederik and Mary weren´t invited.
One would be surprised if that were the case to be honest. When every other European Crown Prince/ss and Consort (Minus the Prince of Wales) is in attendance I find the possibility that they weren't even invited most unlikely

Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
One would be surprised if that were the case to be honest. When every other European Crown Prince/ss and Consort (Minus the Prince of Wales) is in attendance I find the possibility that they weren't even invited most unlikely
Exactly. Why wouldn't WA not invite them? At least Fred showed up, why would he do so if he wasn't invited in the first place - he's not a party crasher, I suppose .

I was disappointed he and Mary did not make it as all other couples or friends did but I am sure WA accepted that the race was an important event for Fred, and was happy that he made the effort to be around at all, at a later stage. Why not see it that way instead of speculating that he was not invited? It was a private party after all, I do not say I share Fred's decision but I accept it and I am sure, so did WA.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
When every other European Crown Prince/ss and Consort (Minus the Prince of Wales) is in attendance I find the possibility that they weren't even invited most unlikely
The Prince of Orange explicitly stated he had only invited friends. The correspondents on NOS and RTL noth stated that it were frequent guests on Villa Eikenhorst. For an example the invitation went explicit to the Earl and Countess of Wessex rather than to "the British royal family". Apparently the Prince of Orange has a personal bond with Prince Edward, he does not have with Prince Charles (not his generation) and Prince William (also not his generation).

I know that the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark have been guests at Het Loo, but you never know if it 'clicked' between the two couples.

Note that from the Jordan royal family the invitation went not to the King or his family, but to Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath and their families. Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath are so very close with the Queen and her three sons. It is like uncle Hassan and aunt Sarvath for them. This was also a reason for King Abdullah to take them with him on his State Visit to the Netherlands. This was a very unsusal geste by the King, but he must have been aware about how dear Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath are to the Queen and the thee Princes. Their daughters Princess Sumaya and Princess Badiya are like nieces to the Princes. They know each other for decades. No wonder they were incuded at last year's State Visit and at this weekend's party.

The only surprise was Japan. Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako have been personal guests of the couple for two weeks, spending a wonderful holiday at the Queen's private retreat. They did not show up either.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki View Post
Well, I found more pics:

Grandpa Zorreguieta and Amalia (cutest pic EVER)

(IPA, Seeger)
Ha...!

I knew I was right by putting Doña María del Carmen Cerruti de Zorreguieta in my top three of best dressed ladies! On your fantastic picture you see how great the texture is of her golden gown. She looks great and très chique. And she is a 73 years old lady, wow, she looks so un-granny!

She is wearing Princess Máxima's earrings!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Exactly. Why wouldn't WA not invite them? At least Fred showed up, why would he do so if he wasn't invited in the first place - he's not a party crasher, I suppose .
It is not known if Frederik showed up or not. On a Dutch language board a poster said that she heard that from somebody who could know. But the day before a lady said Princess Mary attended the fireworks, which was obviously not true.

The Prince of Orange said he only invited friends, I don´t know how close he is with the Dansih crownprince.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
The Prince of Orange explicitly stated he had only invited friends. The correspondents on NOS and RTL noth stated that it were frequent guests on Villa Eikenhorst. For an example the invitation went explicit to the Earl and Countess of Wessex rather than to "the British royal family". Apparently the Prince of Orange has a personal bond with Prince Edward, he does not have with Prince Charles (not his generation) and Prince William (also not his generation).

I know that the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark have been guests at Het Loo, but you never know if it 'clicked' between the two couples.

Sorry Henri M, I still don't believe Frederik and Mary would have been left off the guestlist. And I think people are possibly assuming they weren't invited because the didn't attend. That's being a little hasty in drawing conclusions I think.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Courtier

I like Letizia's dress. It's very simple and it suits her very well. Her accessories are nice. Not too much since lots of jewels will not look good on her bec of her small figure. It says on Hola that Letizia will start her royal duties again. Good for her.

I love Maxima but the color is too pink for me however this kind of color suits her very well.

I like Mabel's also but the dress doesn't give any sort of flattering at all. It doesn't suit her face though.

Cristina's red gown was a recycle but it's great on her.

Mathilde's gown was good on her. She's really a classic princess.

Mette Marit's was ok while Victoria's well the color doesn't suit her at all.

Countess Sophie's worst dress of the day. There are a lot of maternity dress to look for but not this one. It's very informal for me. It's more of a summer dress.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator

I think nobody said that the couple wasn´t invited but that it was a possibility that the couple hadn´t been invited. The latter is not a hasty conclusion I think. But it is more likely that they were invited and declined the invitation.