MH17 Plane Disaster and the Dutch Royals: 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
The king expresed his & his wife's shock about the crash of a Malaysian Airlines/ KLM flight from Amsterdam to Malaysia. The plane was shot down with a Russian missile by Russian seperatists in Eastern Ukraine. The king expressed his support for the family and friends of the victims of the murder, and hopes that things will become more clear soon.

Verklaring van Zijne Majesteit de Koning n.a.v. het neerstorten van een vliegtuig boven Oekraïens grondgebied - Het Koninklijk Huis

---
The annual Summer Photo shoot of the king and his family that was planned for today has been cancelled.

Last edited:
The king expresed his & his wife's shock about the crash of a Malaysian Airlines/ KLM flight from Amsterdam to Malaysia. The plane was shot down by Ukranian seperatists in Eastern Ukraine. The king expressed his support for the family and friends of the victims of the murder, and hopes that things will become more clear soon.

Verklaring van Zijne Majesteit de Koning n.a.v. het neerstorten van een vliegtuig boven Oekraïens grondgebied - Het Koninklijk Huis

---
The annual Summer Photo shoot of the king and his family that was planned for today has been cancelled.

The only right thing to do at this horrific day with the mass murder of 298 innocent people.Too awfull.173 of the people murdered were Dutch,but the number might rise as 24 are known by name but the nationality has not yet been confirmed.But this murder surpasses Nationalities,grief is grief the world over,not restricted by human boundaries nor limits.So sickening.I burn a candle 24 hours as there is so little one can do right now.

Last edited:
RIP to all the crews and passengers onboard MH17. There are 150 Dutch nationals on board.

Thank you for this information. It is no surprise that the photo shoot has been cancelled given the dreadful news yesterday.

They were right to cancel it out of respect for the victims and their families.

TM The King and Queen will sign the book of condolence at 17.30PM at The Hague.

Lucien-My condolences on your nation's loss.

Maxima looks so heartbroken in that picture. My thoughts are with the family and friends of everyone lost in senseless acts of murder and violence yesterday.

maxima's emotions really show, that's true.

They were right to cancel it out of respect for the victims and their families.

They were indeed. It's just so senseless. :(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The only right thing to do at this horrific day with the mass murder of 298 innocent people.Too awfull.173 of the people murdered were Dutch,but the number might rise as 24 are known by name but the nationality has not yet been confirmed.But this murder surpasses Nationalities,grief is grief the world over,not restricted by human boundaries nor limits.So sickening.I burn a candle 24 hours as there is so little one can do right now.

If a tragedy like that had happened in the UK, a public memorial service would probably have been held with the Queen, the prime minister and the royal family in attendance.

I understand the situation is different in the Netherlands, where there is no recognized state church and over 50 % of the population is self-declared "non-religious". Nevertheless, wouldn't an ecumenical service with the presence of the King (who is Protestant) and the Queen (a Catholic) help the nation and the families of the victims to grieve ?

There is no such custom to hold a public memorialservice in our country. Religion is considered a private thing. I can imagine priests, vicars etc. everywhere in the country wil probably dedicate their lecture about the crash and the situation that caused it.

If a tragedy like that had happened in the UK, a public memorial service would probably have been held with the Queen, the prime minister and the royal family in attendance.

I understand the situation is different in the Netherlands, where there is no recognized state church and over 50 % of the population is self-declared "non-religious". Nevertheless, wouldn't an ecumenical service with the presence of the King (who is Protestant) and the Queen (a Catholic) help the nation and the families of the victims to grieve ?

Right now w/the situation still very unsettled, it would not surprise me if both Palace and Government are waiting on more information. Such as the return of the bodies of those killed and trying to do what they can for the Families who lost members in this horrific act. I'm sure something will take place to help the Country come together and mourn a National Tragedy. It's just at the moment, so soon after it happening and so much unknown, a National Memorial Service isn't at the top of things needing to be dealt w/or done right now.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Tiggersk;you are right ,the situation is still uncertain.
The process of mourning is very hard to start without a burried body.
The fact that the bodies of the passengers are still in the site is shameful and adds more suffering to the families.
Not only those people including children were killed but their bodies are not treated with respect and descency.No sane human being let bodies exposed like that.Everobody is allowed to enter in the site as if it was a circus.
I am begining to wonder if the shooting down of this civilian plane wasn't intentional to provide a wide media coverage for this groups.
If that's true,they just cannot imagine how silly they appear in front of all the world.

I guess,there will be a ceremony which will include representative of different religions not only in Dutchland but also in Malaysia.Even,if most Dutch are not religious,the family of the victims might be religious.

Whatever the ceremony is, I think it's too early to do it.

Tiggersk;you are right ,the situation is still uncertain.
The process of mourning is very hard to start without a burried body.
The fact that the bodies of the passengers are still in the site is shameful and adds more suffering to the families.
Not only those people including children were killed but their bodies are not treated with respect and descency.No sane human being let bodies exposed like that.Everobody is allowed to enter in the site as if it was a circus.
I am begining to wonder if the shooting down of this civilian plane wasn't intentional to provide a wide media coverage for this groups.
If that's true,they just cannot imagine how silly they appear in front of all the world.

I guess,there will be a ceremony which will include representative of different religions not only in Dutchland but also in Malaysia.Even,if most Dutch are not religious,the family of the victims might be religious.

Whatever the ceremony is, I think it's too early to do it.

Oh goodness, I hope and pray that no one thought like that, this is normal people going about their own business and they are the victims here. I just don't understand the human race at times, how could someone do this and not feel guilty.....
My heart goes out to the families and the hell that they are suffering now must be unbelievable. They are the ones now that need real help and the governments of the world need and must find who did this.
They not only look silly, they will look dangerous and should watch their backs................Russia needs to learn they can't just do what ever they want in this world.

:previous: I cannot imagine how difficult it is for King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima to come to sign the condolences book and be able to say nothing to their people via the press.

The only avenue left to them while the world, and their own government, dithers and weighs the cost of honor and integrity against financial gain, is to walk with their heads held high and act with dignity and integrity.

Both of their faces show the grief, horror and empathy they feel. As time passes and little is achieved, our prayers go out to the families and friends of the victims of this atrocity.

TM King Willem Alexander and Queen Máxima will attend a special information meeting for the families of the victims on monday July 21st.TM will also meet families there out of sight of the press.Good,decent.Also in attendance will be the PM and several other Cabinet Ministers.No press.It will be a closed meeting.Bless them all.

TM King Willem Alexander and Queen Máxima will attend a special information meeting for the families of the victims on monday July 21st.TM will also meet families there out of sight of the press.Good,decent.Also in attendance will be the PM and several other Cabinet Ministers.No press.It will be a closed meeting.Bless them all.

A wonderfully kind and decent gesture by Their Majesties, I am taken aback by this care and attention and the time and emotion they are giving.

I'm hoping that the families can be reunited with their loved ones remains as soon as possible so they can begin funeral/memorial preparations. :sad:

JULY 21, 2014: King Willem-Alexander arrives at the Congresscentrum, Utrecht, to meet some of the relatives of the victims of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 on July 21, 2014 in Utrecht, Netherlands. King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima were accompanied by Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and will meet relatives of some of the 193 Dutch nationals who were victims of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Gettyimages

ANP picture gallery

I'm hoping that the families can be reunited with their loved ones remains as soon as possible so they can begin funeral/memorial preparations. :sad:

I heard on (US) news this morning that the remains have yet to be removed. They are still in the field.

If anyone knows differently, please tell me.

I heard on (US) news this morning that the remains have yet to be removed. They are still in the field.

If anyone knows differently, please tell me.

As far as is known all remains have been transferred to a train which has just now (around 18:00 CET) left for (probably) the city of Kharkov in Ukraine.
From there they will finally return home to their families and their last resting place...

Very tragic and indeed until yesterday some victims were still out there in the fields where the plane crashed...

Last edited:
As far as is known all remains have been transferred to a train which has just now (around 18:00 CET) left for (probably) the city of Kharkov in Ukraine.
From there they will finally return home to their families and their last resting place...

Very tragic and indeed until yesterday some victims were still out there in the fields where the plane crashed...

Immensely tragic indeed!Incomprehensible,numbness.

All bodies will be flown to The Netherlands for identification and then flown over to their country of origine.

The role of the king in this matter is debated by a few in the press and online. Most praise his speech and the several public appearances. Others however remind us on the beer-drinking with Putin, and now several flights of the government airplane to Greece during the last days have been discussed too.

I don't see the problem TBH, the king is present when he needs to be and what he does in the mean time is of no importance. Nobody expects him to be going to the Ukraine himself. This issue has to be resolved by the politicians, not by the king. I am glad that this is not used for some cheap propaganda, as a blog of the NOS is holding a plea for.

royalblog (in Dutch)
ROYALBLOG.NL: Regeringsvliegtuig weer naar Griekenland

NOS (in Dutch):
http://weblogs.nos.nl/evenementen/2014/07/21/de-koning-en-de-vliegtuigramp/

I don't think this is the time for internal bickering anyway, we can (and should) do that in a few months.

Last edited:
^^^I agree Marengo. AFAIK the Dutch monarch is their to show his/her support to the nation while the PM and other government officials will be the ones to coordinate their response to the Russians/Ukranians and organize the recovery efforts.

IMHO W-A has made the correct response to the grieving nation and will leave the political matters to the people's elected officials.

Back
Top Bottom