King Willem-Alexander's 50th Birthday: April 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Willem Alexander will turn 50 on April 27th. He invites 150 people who also turn 50 this year to have dinner with him at the palace at the April 28th!!

https://www.paleisamsterdam.nl/wa50/

These 150 people must be:
- anyone who has a birthday on April 27th ánd
- who celebrates a crown year (jubilees which are a multiply of 5)

After the diner the Royal Palace in Amsterdam will be open, for free, for 50 continue hours: from April 28th at 22.00 o'clock until April 30th at midnight.

Wonderful initiative by the King. The special site is nice too ( https://www.paleisamsterdam.nl/wa50/ )

:flowers:

Last edited:
What a pity that I was born on the day before and I am not Dutch. This year I will celebrate my 35th birthday!

This is a very very nice idea from the Dutch Royal Court.

A nice idea indeed. On his birthday on thursday the 27th the king and his family will be in Tilburg.

The 50 hrs opening of the palace prevents it from being used for a private party in the weekend. But let's hope they will celebrate it at Het Loo or in The Hague.

There was a big three-day event in the Royal Palace, in the Rijksmuseum, in EYE Amsterdam (April 2013) so maybe the King wants to skip once. (But of course this diner is an event as well, maybe not the traditional expected one).

Last edited:
A nice idea indeed. On his birthday on thursday the 27th the king and his family will be in Tilburg.

The 50 hrs opening of the palace prevents it from being used for a private party in the weekend. But let's hope they will celebrate it at Het Loo or in The Hague.

It's a wonderfull initiative I think!!!

A nice idea to make a video too. All the images are of the palace in Amsterdam. Except for the part with the king: he is sitting in the dining room of Noordeinde.

Last edited:
Yes, the Gallery Chamber. I liked the video. It brings the monarchy closer: "Come, celebrate with me."

The event with the 150 birthdayers of course does not prevent another celebration at Het Loo, Noordeinde or the Royal Palace (in the week before King's Day). Of course the King can also have a celebration in one of the many splendid venues in the capital, like the former Admiralty in Amsterdam (Shipping Museum), the Concertgebouw, or the Kurhaus in The Hague, the Château St Gerlach near Maastricht, whatever. It is still February.... Seeing the video, the special site, the organisation, I have the idea King Willem-Alexander will give a party indeed. I will not be surprised to see Philippe & Mathilde, Felipe & Letizia, etc. The Netherlands are booming again. The State Budgets will see surplusses, spending is up, unemployment is down, buzzz is back in trade and employment. Good time for a celebration.

Last edited by a moderator:
And a good year and occassion for the Stuart, I would say. I can't think of a better occassion actually, esp. as a state visit to Britain is not going to happen in a decade or so.

Last edited:
An outing of the Stuart would end our favourite pastime: to speculate about it. The diadem has gotten such mythic proportions that the real outing maybe will be a disappointment...

When the King celebrates his birthday, I can not imagine it will be a white tie-affair, most likely black tie like that wonderful banquet in the Rijksmuseum in April 2013. An outing of the most imposing and most heavy diadem during a black tie banquet maybe is a bit off-balance?

Regarding a State Visit to the United Kingdom: the Benelux-countries and especially the Dutch have always advocated a membership of the United Kingdom in the EU, out of self-interest: as a contra-weight against the powerful neighbours Germany and France. The United Kingdom out of the EU remains of great importance. Think about the Dutch-Anglo mammoths as Royal Dutch Shell or Unilever. I am sure there will be a grand State Visit to/from the United Kingdom in short period.

:)

Will there be a big party with other royals like on his 40th birthday in Apeldoorn?

We don't know yet. It is still february. The 40 years celebration Het Loo Palace was at August 31st / September 1st 2007, so also the 50th birthday can be celebrated then.

An advantage for a celebration at August 31th is the spectacular 17th C style fireworks which are organized to commemmorate Willem III and Mary on the birthday of the late Queen Wilhelmina. Thousands of candlelights are then lining the formal gardens and big fireworks are fired behind the pavillion: picture

In combination with drums and fanfare (Georg Friedrich Händel - Music For The Royal Fireworks) it can result in a grand festive display. Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh watching the fireworks at Het Loo: picture.

Last edited:
I think it's such a heartwarming idea for WA to invite other turning 50 year olds to his birthday celebrations. I'm looking forward to seeing photos from the occasion.

I think it's such a heartwarming idea for WA to invite other turning 50 year olds to his birthday celebrations. I'm looking forward to seeing photos from the occasion.

It's not just turning 50 year youngs,it is for ALL who celebrate a Crown Year on the 27th of april.So,it could be a 90 year old,or a 25th birthday,or 55th,or 60....see...

It's not just turning 50 year youngs,it is for ALL who celebrate a Crown Year on the 27th of april.So,it could be a 90 year old,or a 25th birthday,or 55th,or 60....see...

Ehm, well, I wasn't aware of that at the time of that - old - post of mine. But now I know. It also was a light hearted post that wasn't meant to be read too much into.

As known the King will celebrate his 50th birthday with 150 fellow Dutchmen celebrating their 50th birthday as well on April 27th or having "another crown year" on that day.

The 150 guests will be picked by lottery. They will enjoy a real royal galadiner in the Royal Palace Amsterdam and after it there will be a "festive event" on Dam Square in Amsterdam.

The actual birthday, April 27th, will be celebrated in Tilburg, where the national celebration of King's Day 2017 is organized.

Around his birthday the King will organize a 4-day event for family and friends (including foreign royals). The King's guests will have a sports day in Rotterdam, with the emphasis more on having fun together than on sports achievements.

There will be a diner and dance at the back-cour of Noordeinde Palace in The Hague. The King is taking a gamble with the April weather, but he will have an alternative indoors when the weather is not too promising.

On the last day the King will host a brunch in the park near his private villa on the Royal Estate De Horsten in Wassenaar (near The Hague). The events for family and friends will have a private character, but knowing the King's well-willingness, he will probably allow media moments during the private festivities.

Source: Vorsten Royale (a Dutch royal magazine)

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander will be expanded 50th anniversary celebration with no less than four days of celebration. April 27 he will celebrate his birthday (King's), the nation April 28 he dines with old people who have to celebrate a jubilee year, and 29 and April 30 he celebration with friends, family and foreign Royals. Koning Willem-Alexander's Feestvierdaagse | De Oranjes

King Willem-Alexander will be expanded 50th anniversary celebration with no less than four days of celebration. April 27 he will celebrate his birthday (King's), the nation April 28 he dines with old people who have to celebrate a jubilee year, and 29 and April 30 he celebration with friends, family and foreign Royals. Koning Willem-Alexander's Feestvierdaagse | De Oranjes

28-04 will not be necessarily "old" people...

Around his birthday the King will organize a 4-day event for family and friends (including foreign royals). The King's guests will have a sports day in Rotterdam, with the emphasis more on having fun together than on sports achievements.

There will be a diner and dance at the back-cour of Noordeinde Palace in The Hague. The King is taking a gamble with the April weather, but he will have an alternative indoors when the weather is not too promising.

I wonder who will attend from Sweden, as King Carl Gustaf is celebrating his birthday on April 30th and this traditionally celebrated with a public celebration at the Royal Palace. On the hand is Crown Princess Victoria attending OPCW's 20th anniversary on the 26th in The Hague.

Bottles of William V 0 brewery Crooked Spider, an amber-colored beer specially brewed for the fiftieth anniversary of King Willem-Alexander, are pictured on April 12, 2017 at the Crooked Spider brewery in Wassenaa.

Belga Image

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima leave the Noordeinde Palace after the reception for the fiftieth anniversary of the king.

Belga Image

King Willem-Alexander is on his way to Noordeinde Palace for the reception of his 50th birthday. The king was on foot because a coach blocked the passage of his car.

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/5785438

The ten Euro remembrance coin who is designed to celebrate the 50th Birthday of the King!

Belga Image

Last edited by a moderator:
The interview will be in a new sort format: the King will, together with the presentor Wilfried de Jong, watch media fragments from the last 50 years and comment on this. Events like the MH17 (the shooting-down of the Boeing 777 above Ukraine which caused the death of 300 people, amongst those 200 Dutch citizens), or personal dramas like his brother Prince Friso, but also about Nelson Mandela or the Eleven Cities Tour (200 kilometres of ice-skating in Friesland) in which the King participated.

The interview took place in one of the salons at Villa Eikenhorst, the library so to see. I am not sure what to think about the interior: picture.

The King is still living in his villa since his future residence, Huis ten Bosch, is under renovation, which seems to have more impact than I thought: picture.

Last edited:
I cant wait to watch it specially the parts of his brother`s death & Boieing 777. Are they going to provide English subtitles?

That is a modern concept indeed. I suppose it makes for more interesting television than an interview of 2 hours, which is seldom done these days. The attention span of people has decreased over the years and apparently is now shorter than that of a gold fish.

The interviewer is not one of the usual suspects, which is nice too. And also nice that both the NOS as RTL are broadcasting the interview at the same time.

I did not know that the Eikenhorst had a library, I never saw it before. The furniture is neither meat nor fish indeed, not contemporary and not antique. The colours are awful. The recent biographies about the previous kings are standing on a shelf.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom