King Willem-Alexander, Current Events Part 1 (May 2013 - October 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Willem-Alexander reopened the VDL Nedcar factory, an automotive manufacturing company based in Born today, July 17:

** anp gallery **

Today, September 1, King Willem-Alexander attended the official closing ceremony of the celebration of the centenary of the Erasmus University Rotterdam. The closure also marked the opening of the Academic Year 2014-2015 of the university.

** Pic ** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

King Willem-Alexander opened the POET-DSM advanced Biofuels' Project LIBERTY cellulosic ethanol plant in Emmetsburg, Iowa, USA, today, Sepember 3. It's a joint venture between Sioux Falls, South Dakota-based ethanol-maker POET and Royal DSM, a Dutch biotechnology company.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

Last edited:

The new Dutch ambassador to Trinidad Jeroen de Graaf took the oath in the presence of King Willem-Alexander today, September 5:

** anp gallery **

I really like it that King Willem-Alexander ("I am no protocol fetishist") has actually stepped up the protocol and now Ambassadors, King's Commissioners, Governors, etc. appear in jacquet.

I hope he will also do that when a new Cabinet makes the oath in front of the King. After all the ministers all do have jacquets, as we can see every year: http://www.deondernemer.nl/UserFiles/Image/2009/200909/20090915/ANP-10831169.jpg

I really like it that King Willem-Alexander ("I am no protocol fetishist") has actually stepped up the protocol and now Ambassadors, King's Commissioners, Governors, etc. appear in jacquet.

It would be even more elegant if he would wear an Uniform like the Kings in Spain, Belgium and Sweden do (don't know about Norway). Can't understand that there is no exception that allows to wear the King an Uniform for ocasions like this (or Prinsjesdag).

Last edited:
I agree. The King is free to wear an uniform anyway but he seems to have made a strict separation in civil and military activities. Apparently he considered (considers) his Investiture, the annual Address from the Throne, the audiences to Ambassadors, etc. as a civil activity. I can follow that logic.

When the King has an engagement with the armed forces involved, he wears an uniform:

The King visits the naval base in Den Helder: http://www.noordhollandsdagblad.nl/...3061903.ece/ALTERNATES/w580/d130620jh9018.jpg

The King -in army uniform- is stormed by children: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2840/9174152432_bc6b23640f_z.jpg

The King in a ceremonial tenue: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3766/11859491824_17cdb2cec8.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. The King is free to wear an uniform anyway but he seems to have made a strict separation in civil and military activities. Apparently he considered (considers) his Investiture, the annual Address from the Throne, the audiences to Ambassadors, etc. as a civil activity. I can follow that logic.

But why did he then wear an Uniform to the Adress from the throne as Prince?

Because he then still was an active militair in the armed forces (reserve).

At 30 April 2013 the Prince of Orange became King. Article 42 of the Constitution says: The Government comprises of the King and the ministers. An active militair can not be part of the Government, which has the supreme command over the armed forces. In the opinion of the Dutch Government a militair can not be part of the same supreme command which orders and controls the armed forces he himself belongs to.

This is a change from earlier versions of the Constitution in which The King has the supreme command over the armed forces. In 1983 the Constitution was modernized: no longer The King but the Government (= the King and the ministers) has the supreme authority, which is completely in line with reality. That is why King Willem-Alexander only wears military uniforms when the armed forces are involved, as any dismissed officer is free to do.

The last active military in the Dutch Government was Captain-at-Sea Petrus Jozef Sietze (Piet) de Jong (*1915) who was minister of Defense (1957-1967) and later Prime Minister (1967-1971). When he became minister, he resigned as Chief of Staff of the Inspector-General of the Armed Forces (Prince Bernhard), as Aide-de-Camp of Queen Juliana and as Commander of the naval destroyer 'Gelderland'. He did the same as the King: as member of the Government he always wore civil. At military events he could wear military uniform.

Last edited:
Last edited:

King Willem-Alexander received the ambassadors of Albania, New Zealand and Switzerland at Noordeinde Palace today, September 10:

** anp gallery **

I like it that not only the King has dressed up (jacquet), also the aide-de-camps seems to wear grand tenue. Under Queen Beatrix aides-de-camp wore (neat) daily tenue for these events.

King Willem-Alexander has made a working visit to the Royal Military School Air Force in Woensdrecht today, September 11.

** Pic ** ppe **

Yesterday, September 15, King Willem-Alexander swore in E.A. Minderhoud as councilor in the Administrative Section of the Council of State.

** Pic ** anp gallery **

King Willem-Alexander received the ambassadors from Belgium, Ireland and France at Noordeinde Palace in Den Haag, today, October 1st.

** anp gallery **

King Willem-Alexander attended the awards ceremony for the Heineken Prizes for science and art at the Beurs van Berlage Building in Amsterdam today, October 2nd.

** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

King Willem-Alexander received the ambassadors from Belgium, Ireland and France at Noordeinde Palace in Den Haag, today, October 1st.

** anp gallery **

I love it that the King, the Ambassadors, the members of the Embassy staff and the Household all observe the dresscode (jacquet).

:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom