King Willem-Alexander, Current Events Part 1 (May 2013 - October 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yesterday, January 22, King Willem-Alexander has made a working visit to the army unit in Havelte:

** defensie.nl: Koning en minister bij landmachtbrigade ** translation **

Today, January 23, King Willem-Alexander opened the Akoesticum, a national training centre for performing arts, in Ede:

** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

And he visited the Memorial Centre Westerbork and read names of deported and murdered Jews, Sinti and Roma during World War II. With this he joined the volunteers who are reading the 102,000 names since Thursday.

** anp gallery **

Last edited:
:previous:

Apparently the reading of the names & ages of the Dutch victims of the holocaust will take 6 days. It will be done at January 27th, when the king will be present at the 70th anniversery of the closure of Auschwitz concentration camp. 700 people will be /have been reading the names.

102000 Namen Lezen

King Willem-Alexander received the ambassadors of Iceland, Angola and Zimbabwe at Palace Noordeinde today, January 28.

Earlier today he has visited the Volunteers Academy in Amsterdam.

** anp gallery ** anp gallery 2 **

Last edited:
The former German Bundespräsident Richard Karl Freiherr von Weiszäcker has died today. The former president held close contacts with the Orange-Nassaus. The president was best friends with Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche-Streithorst, an old friend and great-uncle of Prince Claus and one of the godparents of Prince Constantijn. He was related via the late Prince's mother Gösta von Amsberg née Freiin von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen.

That the late Bundespräsident had a special relationship with the Orange-Nassaus was proven during his State Visit to the Netherlands in 1985. In the preparations before the State Visit, the Bundespräsident expressed his wish to grant the only 17 years old Prince of Orange the Grand Cross in the Verdienstorden der Bundesrepublik Deutschland. This was the very first foreign decoration for the young Prince of Orange.

I think we can expect Princess Beatrix or King Willem-Alexander at the funeral. Maybe even both.

The former German Bundespräsident Richard Karl Freiherr von Weiszäcker has died today. The former president held close contacts with the Orange-Nassaus. The president was best friends with Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche-Streithorst, an old friend and great-uncle of Prince Claus and one of the godparents of Prince Constantijn. He was related via the late Prince's mother Gösta von Amsberg née Freiin von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen.

That the late Bundespräsident had a special relationship with the Orange-Nassaus was proven during his State Visit to the Netherlands in 1985. In the preparations before the State Visit, the Bundespräsident expressed his wish to grant the only 17 years old Prince of Orange the Grand Cross in the Verdienstorden der Bundesrepublik Deutschland. This was the very first foreign decoration for the young Prince of Orange.

I think we can expect Princess Beatrix or King Willem-Alexander at the funeral. Maybe even both.

I think it will depend if there will be an official State Funeral or not. It usually depend on the wishes of the deceased and the Family. For example for former President Johannes Rau there was an official funeral in the Dom of Berlin but for former President Karl Carstens it was very low key.
As for the State Visit it took place in May/June 1985 so Willem-Alexander had just turned 18.

I think it will depend if there will be an official State Funeral or not. It usually depend on the wishes of the deceased and the Family. For example for former President Johannes Rau there was an official funeral in the Dom of Berlin but for former President Karl Carstens it was very low key.
As for the State Visit it took place in May/June 1985 so Willem-Alexander had just turned 18.

Yes when Von Weiszäcker visited the Netherlands in 1985, the Prince of Orange indeed has just turned 18. However, in the months beforehand, in the contacts between the Kabinet der Koningin and the Bundespräsidentialamt the wish of Von Weiszäcker became clear. The Minister of Foreign Affairs had to approve the list with Dutch and German decorations and gave his nihil obstat. At that moment the young Prince of Orange was 17 years old. By the way: that minister was Mr Hans van den Broek, the father of Princess Marilène, spouse of Prince Maurits van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven. At the other side was Mr Hans-Dietrich Genscher, Bundesminister des Auswärtigen.

:flowers:

Last edited:
It is wonderful that the King makes these surprise visits. The two companies in Eindhoven knew that the minister of Economic Affairs would visit them but suddenly they saw an extended blue Audi and it was no one else than His Majesty The King...

The King visited two companies on the High Tech Campus. There was a so-called 'Boot Camp' in which three young entrepreneurs could show their newest developments. For an example one young developer showed an advanced, ultrathin wearable glove to have "natural grip" on a virtual hand. The chips were so thin that the glove felt as a "normal" glove.

The King and the minister joined in a lunch with young students doing practice on the High Tech Campus. All very informal. When the King was 'bombed' with smarthphones, he took his own and made a picture as well, from his viewpoint. "That is to be expected in such a technical environment" so smiled the King.

The King getting in his car and "oh wait...." he takes his own smartphone making the people gasp "How, what a spontaneous and nice man!"

King Willem-Alexander really feels like "The King". He is a big man. Is it me of is the King rapidly ageing since his succession? He gets more and more wrinkles. The one day he looks like having gained a few pounds. The other day he looks like having lost a few pounds. Maybe it is just a question of being photo-genic or not. Probably the King simply does not photograph well.

I suppose his smoking may have something to do with his aging. And the fact that he is actually aging - like all of us. But he seems more mature indeed, though (IMHO) he misses the 'gravitas' that we were used to from his mother. And I heard more than one person working in politics in The Hague refer to him as a 'proleet' (plebeian) and a VVD-er (political party).

I think that it is clear that he has his own style which is a bit more relaxed than that of his mother, but IMHO that is not a bad thing, esp. not in this country. I am not sure if the aging has much to do with his new role, IMHO he seems to be enjoying it and he is doing a great job so far. Still, it is obvious that the snobs of the caviar left -that are rather vocal in the news columns - will have more difficulties with this king than with his predecessor, who was more or less considered an intellectual & thus was more respected by them.

As for his weight: he may be enjoying the good life too much and he is getting older also. But I remember that in the past he had medicine for a disease that made him gain a few pounds, so we don't know what is the reason this time. In any case, he seems to have a healthy weight.

Last edited:
[...] But he seems more mature indeed, though (IMHO) he misses the 'gravitas' that we were used to from his mother. And I heard more than one person working in politics in The Hague refer to him as a 'proleet' (plebeian) and a VVD-er (political party). [...]

Naming someone a 'proleet' (a derivation from proletarian), which is even more negative than 'pleb', is is such a stinging disqualification. Anyone whom uses such a word immediaty has exposed him- or herself as the real 'proleet' ...

:ermm:

Of course, King Willem-Alexander misses the 'gravitas' of his so much older, so much more experienced and so much more formal mother. I think that is a good thing because there have been periods in which the Queen almost toppled under the weight of her gravitas. Before the death of Prince Claus, her parents, the many babies and the drama around Prince Friso, there was a period of Beatrix as a "Ice Queen": cold, distant, aloof. There was respect for her professionalism, there was no warmth towards her. She even needed a media offensive to correct the image (TV-interviews etc.).

The irony of it that the people that used that word were all from the leftist parties. For whom the word should not be an insult. But well the irony was lost on them. I suppose the best translation would be an uncivilized person. And indeed, if people use that term most fail to see the irony of that too. Still, I think this image is one that is there, just look at the parody section of the daily tv programme 'De Wereld Draait Door' where 'King Willy' with a low class accent from The Hague is a rather popular and recurring feature. Of course the same people would take offence if he would be cold and distant, but well...

I am not sure if Beatrix changed or if the press changed. I suspect the latter. I don't think she ever was an ice queen but it was a popular theme in certain areas of the press in the mid - late nineties indeed.

I was actually at the Rijksmuseum yesterday and I didn't even know he would be there. I was just wondering about all the police presence when I noticed the license plate on the car. I didn't see him though, he must've been inside already.

You had more luck with Princess Marilene? She also attended the opening (as she works in the museum). She gave a short interview to RTL Boulevard. Between the compliments for Marilene, they mention that the reporter felt so relaxed that she joked to the princess 'can you look at me instead of to the handsome sound man?' as apparently they had to do a 2nd or 3rd take. The princess suggested that she may have looked at a painting instead.

http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/boulevard/royalty/koning-onder-de-indruk-van-late-rembrandt

It seems to be a unique exposition indeed. I will try to go soon as it will only be around for 100 days.

Last edited:
News from the Knights in the Militaire Willems-Orde:

Mr C.P. van den Hoek, Ridder Militaire Willems-Orde (RMWO) has died last week, leaving the number of Knights to just four:

Major Kenneth George Mayhew RMWO, Suffolk Regiment
Second Lieutenant Edward Simons Fulmer RMWO, United States Air Force
Major Marinus Johannes Kroon RMWO, Corps Commando Troops
Major Gijs Pepijn Tuinman RMWO, Corps Commando Troops

Pic: Major Gijs Pepijn Tuinman visited his fellow Knight after his installation by King Willem-Alexander. Due to poor health, Mr Van den Hoek was not able to attend the ceremony.

Pic: the Knights Militaire Willems-Orde are regular guests at state events and/or are received at the palace

Pic: with a tap on the shoulder, the King creates Major Tuinman a Knight

Is there any reason as to why the order is so rarely bestowed?

Is there any reason as to why the order is so rarely bestowed?

The four above are the ones who have the highest rank of the Militaire Willems Orde.
I'm sure someone else can explain better, but the order is only acquired in battle (so either in a war in the Netherlands, or when dutch join a war abroad).
Fortunately for the NL, the last war at home has been WWII (both in europe and south-east asia), after that there were years of Cold War but not actual battling.
Prior to relatively recent additions due to so called peace-missions (in for instance Iraq and Afghanistan), the last one was awarded to Mr. Fulmer following the second World War.

Not only on the battlefield, it can also be bestowed to civilians in acts of exceptional gallantry and bravery. The Knight who died last week, Mr Cornelis Pieter van den Hoek saved the lives of shot-down airmen and successfully helped them to escape the occupied Netherlands, with grave dangers for his own life. For 37 times Mr Van den Hoek managed to cross 18 km through the Biesbosch (a forested wet delta) to assist the allied forces. For this Queen Wilhelmina created him a Knight in the Militaire Willems-Orde.

Not only on the battlefield, it can also be bestowed to civilians in acts of exceptional gallantry and bravery. The Knight who died last week, Mr Cornelis Pieter van den Hoek saved the lives of shot-down airmen and successfully helped them to escape the occupied Netherlands, with grave dangers for his own life. For 37 times Mr Van den Hoek managed to cross 18 km through the Biesbosch (a forested wet delta) to assist the allied forces. For this Queen Wilhelmina created him a Knight in the Militaire Willems-Orde.

Okay, not on the battlefield itself, but according to the website of the dutch monarchy, it is awarded for "bravery in battle" (dapperheid in strijd)
Hoe werkt het aanvragen van een Koninklijke onderscheiding (lintje)? | Vraag en antwoord | Rijksoverheid.nl

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I admire it how the King adds "content" to the kingship to request every minister to show him examples from the daily workfield. It also brings the King to a whole variety of activities in society.

It also connects the King with the ministers and thus creating a personal bond. In some countries the monarch only speaks with the Prime Minister. In the Netherlands, due to the fact the King is an integral member of Government, he has close contact with all ministers. He also receives the transcripts, memos, reports, notes and minutes from all Cabinet meetings, after all he is a member of the same Government.

Art. 42 of the Constitution
The Government comprises of the King and the ministers.

Art. 43 of the Constitution
The King is inviolable, the ministers are responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom