It's a Girl - Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Ines: April 10, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MissSaga said:
So when they speak dutch they will call her Ariane, and when they speak spanish, Ariana? Don't get it..

Whatever, I like the name. Like it very much. And the middlenames as well. I'm very relived that they didn't go for another A-ia name. That would have been corny, but I love it this way. Wish there was two n's in the name though. Arianne. :flowers:

Another thing, the Victoria in Amalia's name was after who? And what about Marcela in Alexia's name?

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Marcela after Máxima's favorite aunt.
:)

MissSaga said:
Another thing, the Victoria in Amalia's name was after who? And what about Marcela in Alexia's name?

Victoria probably after Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Amalia's godmother.

Marcela after Maxima's aunt

in dutch it is pronounced A-ri-A-ne

JessRulz said:
I'll have to rearrange my signature for you Pooky ;)

On the pronunciation: this site says that the English way to pronounce Ariane is "er-ee-AN" and in French "a-ree-AN". Are they anyway close to the Dutch pronunciation?

crm2317 said:
Thank you Pooky:flowers:

In the repetition they're not showing that part, so I guess we'll never know... I did hear someone speaking Argentinian Spanish but I was on the phone and couldn't hear what they said - sorry!

How's this: on the royal house site, the Dutch page for Princess Máxima has been updated with information on Ariane, but W-A's hasnt. I find that a little strange, wouldn't they change them both with W-A's being first?

Apparently there is a difference in the names as announced on the Royal House website,and that on the official birth certificate this morning.

The first has the names Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Inez,
the certificate has Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Ines.

Het Koninklijk Huis

http://www.royalblog.nl/

Courtesy RVD & HJA.

Last edited:
Beautiful, I really like the name and it goes well with her sisters. Amaila, Alexia and Ariane :flowers:

susan alicia said:
in dutch it is pronounced A-ri-A-ne

People outside the Stadhuis were a bit confused :) and repeated "A-ri-A-ne" "A-ri-AN?" :rolleyes: The Prince said the latter... but the pronunciation in Dutch would be indeed "A-ri-A-ne" toch? ;)

lucien said:
Apparently there is a difference in the names as announced on the Royal House website,and that on the official birth certificate this morning.

The first has the names Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Inez,
the certificate has Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Ines.

Het Koninklijk Huis

http://www.royalblog.nl/

Courtesy RVD & HJA.

now in the royal webpage it's ines, not ines. i was surprised about the detail, as i said before. :) i'm sure it was just an error from the people updating the webpage.

lucien said:
Ladies first Jess...:lol: ,and besides,she did most of the work.....

I'm sure they'll update on Alexander soon enough tho,probably having a break:rolleyes:

Ah, good poitn lucien! ;)
They will have to update the following biographies: Queen Beatrix's, Prince Willem-Alexander's, Princess Máxima's (it's not complete), Princess Catharina-Amalia's, Princess Alexia's, and add one for Princess Ariane. Whoever the tech guy is will have quite a job on his hands!

What are all Maxima's siblings called, and which ones are godparents to the two baptized girls ?

MissSaga said:
What are all Maxima's siblings called, and which ones are godparents to the two baptized girls ?

Princess Máxima has three siblings:
  1. Martín Zorreguieta Cerruti 28-10-1972 (godfather to Amalia)
  2. Juan Zorreguieta Cerruti 04-10-1982 (godfather to Alexia)
  3. Inés Zorreguieta Cerruti 04-12-1984 (godmother to Ariane?)
And she has three half-siblings:
  1. María Zorreguieta López Gil 26-07-1956.
  2. Angeles Zorreguieta López Gil 04-06-1958.
  3. Dolores Zorreguieta López Gil 20-06-1965.
Four members of her family are mentioned:

her mother -> H.K.H. Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, de Erfprinses van Oranje
her aunt and godmother -> H.K.H. Alexia Juliana Marcela Laurentien prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau
her great-grandmother -> H.K.H. Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Inés prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau
her youngest sister -> H.K.H. Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Inés prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau

Last edited:
fanletizia said:
Ines...not Inez

The Royal House website has just updated,and changed the name Inez in Ines.:)

MissSaga said:

Half sisters:
Maria (1956)
Angeles (1958)
Dolores (1965)

Brothers:
Martin (1972)
Juan (1982)

Sister:
Ines (1984)

Godparents Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria
Prince Constantijn (brother W-A)
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Marc ter Haar (friend W-A)
Herman-Diederik Tjeenk Willink (Vice-president of the Council of State)
Samantha van Welderen Baroness Rengers-Deane (friend Maxima)
Martín Zorreguieta (brother Maxima)

Godparents Alexia Juliana Marcela Laurentien
Princess Mathilde of Belgium
Jonkvrouwe Alexandra Jankovich de Jeszenice (friend Maxima)
Prince Friso (brother W-A)
Jonkheer Frans Ferdinand de Beaufort (friend W-A)
Juan Zorreguieta (brother W-A)

Pooky said:
People outside the Stadhuis were a bit confused :) and repeated "A-ri-A-ne" "A-ri-AN?" :rolleyes: The Prince said the latter... but the pronunciation in Dutch would be indeed "A-ri-A-ne" toch? ;)

It's a very similar to how it would be pronounced in the Scandinavian languages - where the -e is pronounced.

(I keep telling people that my name is Anne - with an -e, but trying to get French/English people to actually pronounce the -e is hard. I expect Ariane will have the same difficulties :lol: )

I rather like the name. Fairly unexpected, but I like how they aren't giving the traditional names as the first name. It gives her a chance to be a person in her own right, so to speak, instead of having to live up to the name Wilhelmina or Màxima as the first name, for example.

norwegianne said:
It's a very similar to how it would be pronounced in the Scandinavian languages - where the -e is pronounced.

(I keep telling people that my name is Anne - with an -e, but trying to get French/English people to actually pronounce the -e is hard. I expect Ariane will have the same difficulties :lol: )

I rather like the name. Fairly unexpected, but I like how they aren't giving the traditional names as the first name. It gives her a chance to be a person in her own right, so to speak, instead of having to live up to the name Wilhelmina or Màxima as the first name, for example.

Does the -e sound like "eh"? My cousin's name is Andriana and we call her Anne, pronounced "Ahn-eh".

Ariane Wilhelmina Maxima Ines! I love it- it's so beautiful!!! I was right- it did fit the six-letter, A-name pattern. And all those people who said Maxima and Wilhelmina were correct too!
I love how WA and Maxima incorporate her native culture into their daughters' lives, including into their names- I don't know the origins of Ariane (Ariana would be Spanish), Wlhelmina is Dutch, Maxima is of course Spanish, and Ines is Spanish. (Spanish language)
Amalia, Alexia, and Ariane. What lovely names, and what adorable girls. I can't wait to see them again.

norwegianne said:

Yes, it is indeed a nice name and unusual in these parts - in Argentina "Ariana" is not uncommon - I have a niece with that name... :ermm:

And I agree that it's a good idea to choose a "new" or "fresh" name as first name!

Ariana

All vowels and syllabes must be heard in Dutch;
the underlined syllabe must be stressed

Amalia: a-maa-lie-ja

Alexia: aa-lek-sie-ja

Ariane: a-rie-jaa-ne

:flowers:

I love this name. In France, Ariane is a classy and aristocratic name. I would have found Ariana much more vulgar. It is IMO the most beautiful of the three first names of the Orange daughters.

Danielane said:
I love this name. In France, Ariane is a classy and aristocratic name. I would have found Ariana much more vulgar. It is IMO the most beautiful of the three first names of the Orange daughters.

And of course Ariane is famous for the succesful Ariane 5 launchers from the European Space Agency in Kourou, Guyane Français.

I don't know if someone has told that yet ... but in the German newspapers there is written that Amalia and Alexia were quite surprised that Mom and Dad came home with a baby on Wednesday :lol: In the mean time, they got used to her sister ...

Source: Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung im Web – Aus aller Welt

Henri M. said:
And of course Ariane is famous for the succesful Ariane 5 launchers from the European Space Agency in Kourou, Guyane Français.

That is precisely it is not a very popular name in France, because the first reaction after the birth of a little Ariane would be "she bears the name of a rocket" :bang:
I had this name on the top on my favourite names years ago but I wouldn't give it anymore to a girl, though I love it.

I find it sad the couple has not given this name to their first-born girl: Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Ariane would have sounded delightful and have been very classy.

I'm suprised and not suprised at the same time by the name. But I love it! I'm glad they chose another A name. Ariane was a name a never thought of but its very pretty. Not suprised at all by the use of Wilhelmina and Ines, and even Maxima. Amalia, Alexia and Ariane...aww!!

HenriM, is there a reason behind why all the daughters of the CP daughters names start with an A

dazzling said:
HenriM, is there a reason behind why all the daughters of the CP daughters names start with an A

The Prince joked he had a 'triple A-rating' now (AAA means the best solvability and credibility in the banking world.)

I think they simply like it. And of course officially Amalia has two names: Catharina-Amalia, like her father has a double name as well (but is in private called 'Alexander').

I have a hard time pronouncing the first name the way it would be pronounced in Dutch. In English most people would say Airy-Ann. Am I right in thinking it's pronounced more like AR-ee-AHN-ay? Aside from the difficulty in pronounciation, it sounds like quite a pretty name.

Pooky said:
Thanks, Princess Robijn!! I watched the repetition just now...

I changed my post because the RVD Changed theirs into Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Ines.

bluestocking said:
I have a hard time pronouncing the first name the way it would be pronounced in Dutch. In English most people would say Airy-Ann. Am I right in thinking it's pronounced more like AR-ee-AHN-ay? Aside from the difficulty in pronounciation, it sounds like quite a pretty name.

Yes, you are right indeed.... it's like the AR in "are" sort of ... though shorter because the stress falls on the second syllable... And the Prince didn't pronouce the last 'e' so forget about the "ay" part. Anyway, I suggest you check out the NOS Journaal site, you'll see the video of the ceremony and you'll hear how W-A pronounces it... ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom