It's a Girl - Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Ines: April 10, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so, finally is ariane, I think was ariana because maxima names's choises for the girls were names that we can said the same in duch that in spanish

And Ariane is the name of the ESA rockets (european space agency) maybe the parent like the space (just a funny gues) :-D
Its a very sweet name and i am looking forward to see the family with all the children

Aurora810 said:
Yes, I just read your examples a minute ago. You've done your research!

Sidenote:
This is a little off subject but it seems that by the time these royal couples get to the third child the tradition kind of fades. Ex. Madeleine of Sweden, maybe also Cristina of Spain, Stephanie of Monaco. I can certainly imagine that at the time of Madeleine's birth her name probably seemed to many in Sweden as a very un-royal choice especially since her sister and brother carry such historic royal/family names.

Although I like the new princesses name and I think it matches up well with her sisters names.
Cristina is a traditional name amongst the Spanish Royalty:

Queen Maria Cristina (mother and regent for Alfonso XIII)
María Cristina de Borbón y Battenberg (aunt of King Juan Carlos and godmother to Infanta Cristina)

If you want more info here it is:
- EL MUNDO | Suplemento cronica 597 - Mi semana

rosana said:
Even though the name is pretty, i don´t like it for a princess, nor even in Spanish, Ariana, it sounds very ordinary and common.

But Willem, Hendrik, Wilhelmina, Frederik, which are traditional Orange-Nassau, are véry common and ordinary names in the Netherlands.

Compare it with Felipe, Juan, Carlos in Spain. Very common and ordinary also.

:flowers:

Eloise, Catharina-Amalia, Claus-Casimir, Alexia, Luana, Zaria, Leonore, Ariane: it all are pretty uncommon names in the Netherlands.

pollyemma said:
I was pondering it this morning as I was vacuuming my house and I think maybe the names are the result of Maxima's foreign background. she's assimilated so well I tend to forget she's not dutch.

The "Ariane" is the most famous product of Dutch-based European Space Agency's space research center ESTEC: our connection with the Outer Space! The "Ariane"-project was partly invented, explored and has been made a reality close to where little princess Ariane is going to live: the European Space Agency displays "Ariane" in their Space Exhibition not more than 5 kms away from Wassenaar.

Plus the actress Audrey Hepburn, niece of a lady-in-waiting of queen Wilhelmina, played a wonderfully sweet "Ariane" in the dramatisation of the lovely novella "Ariane" by French author Claude Anet. The film was not as bittersweet and romantic as the book but good enough - we don't know what DVDs Maxima and Willem-Alexander watch at night, after all.

Nice names given by Willem and Maxima to their new daughter.
I particularly like Ines.

This is a little off subject but it seems that by the time these royal couples get to the third child the tradition kind of fades. Ex. Madeleine of Sweden, maybe also Cristina of Spain, Stephanie of Monaco.
Madeleine was named after a daughter of Prince Carl of Sweden. Prince Carl was the uncle to Harald of Norway and Albert II of Belgium. Their mothers were his older sisters Martha and Astrid, respectively.

The name Cristina definitely has royal connections. Spain has had a couple of Queens named Maria Christina. One was from Austria. Another was from the Two-Sicilies. There's also a Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnusson of Sweden, a Christina of the Netherlands, and many more.

Stephanie of Monaco is named in honor of Stephanie de Beauharnais. One of her granddaughters, Lady Mary Hamilton married Albert I of Monaco. Another of Stephanie de Beauharnais's granddaughters became Queen Stephanie (Estefania) of Portugal. There's also Stephanie of Belgium, Stephanie of Leiningen, and maybe a few more.

Ariane is a beautiful name...

I suprise because I think the name Maxima has for her mother Princess Maxima and is for the grandmother of Maxima...

But Ariane has a beautiful name, a princess name...:ROFLMAO:

I really love the name. It's very beautiful and regal.

ladejesus said:
What's with the flower-dolls ("Aaaw... is this for Princess Ariane?")? He has a couple in his arms and it looks like he was about to get more. Are they popular in the Netherlands? By the way, your captions were great Henri M.:flowers:

No idea. I have no kids so I never see a toy store from inside.

On the background you see a person dressed as such a figure. I think they take the opportunity to reach a wide public watching the event in The Hague. I have the idea these dolls will rush out of the stores the coming period!

Don't you think the Prince is quite approachable to the public? But he remains on the invisible line of distance. I think that is a perfect virtue for a future King.

So my guess was completely off the mark, but I love the name. And it does sound very royal indeed. I really like how they included Maxima in there, and Wilhelmina fits in rather nice as well. A pretty name for a pretty little princess. :flowers:

I haven't had a chance yet to check out the videos for the presentation or the registration (my wireless conncection has been spotty of late), but thanks to everyone who has taken the time to find and post any links for the videos. And for all the wondeful pictures and article links as well!

I'm a little late here, but a lot of congratulations to the whole family. The baby is beautiful! :)

I was a little surprised at this choice of name, being totally honest I am not that much of a fan. Maybe it is because I have come across lots of Ariane's in life and it just does not seem regal enough to me.

I actually like ArianA more, Amailia and Alexia just seem like cute, girly names but I am sure with time I will come to love the name Ariane.

Henri M. said:
The Netherlands Royal House has a nice collection of jewels, but with five royal ladies in a new generation, we need to purchase some more sets!

For starters,as Princess Ariane is still a wee little one,this one would be nice,just to get used to the feel:
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

For her first Ball:

You wouldn't approve of this one would you?

This one would blend in perfectly:

As would this one:

For a Ball Masque:

Courtesy PPE/Albert Nieboer.

Henri M. said:
Don't you think the Prince is quite approachable to the public? But he remains on the invisible line of distance. I think that is a perfect virtue for a future King.

He was really great.:flowers: He seemed so kind and grateful.

She got it: her first streetname

The Mayor of Rheden (a municipality in the east of the Netherlands) has unveiled a streetname in honour of the youngborn Princess (see picture):

Prinses Ariane Wilhelminapad
Prinses der Nederlanden geb. 10-4-2007​

Both her sisters also have a streetname:

Amalia (see picture)

Prinses Catharina-Amalia Plantsoen
Prinses der Nederlanden geb. 7-12-2003​

Alexia (see picture)

Prinses Alexia Julianapad
Prinses der Nederlanden geb. 26-6-2005​

ARIANA English variant of Ariane
Gender: Feminine Usage: English, French, German Pronounced: er-ee-AN (English), a-ree-AN (French) [key]
Variant of ARIANNE . It has possibly been influenced by the Welsh word arian "silver". Thi is French form of Ariadne Pronounced: ah-ree-AHD-nee (Ancient Greek), ar-ee-AD-nee (English) [key]
Means "most holy", composed of the Cretan Greek elements αρι (ari) "most" and αδνος (adnos) "holy". In Greek mythology, Ariadne was the daughter of King Minos. She fell in love with Theseus and helped him to escape the Labyrinth and the Minotaur, but was later abandoned by him.

WILHELMINA Gender: Feminine Usage: Dutch, German
Dutch and German feminine form of WILHELM German cognate of WILLIAM.

Maxima from Maximus Gender: Masculine Usage: Ancient Roman
Roman family name which was derived from Latin maximus "greatest". Saint Maximus was a monk and theologian from Constantinople in the 7th century.

INÉS
Spanish form of AGNES Gender: Feminine Usage: English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian Pronounced: AG-nes (English), AHKH-nus (Dutch) [key]
Latinized form of the Greek name ‘Αγνη (Hagne), derived from Greek ‘αγνος (hagnos) meaning "chaste". Saint Agnes was a virgin martyred under the Roman emperor Diocletian. The name became associated with Latin agnus "lamb", resulting in the saint's frequent depiction with a lamb by her side.

Last edited:
Henri (or anyone else who speaks Dutch), is 'pad' the word for street? And why is Amalia's street Prinses Catharina-Amalia Plantsoen? That's not her middle name, as Juliana and Wilhelmina are for the other two girls.

Do WA and Maxima have streets too?

LadyK said:
Henri (or anyone else who speaks Dutch), is 'pad' the word for street? And why is Amalia's street Prinses Catharina-Amalia Plantsoen? That's not her middle name, as Juliana and Wilhelmina are for the other two girls.

Do WA and Maxima have streets too?

Rhenen is a green and woody municipality and a pad is Dutch for 'walk' or 'path' through forests or green surroundings.

So it is:
Princess Alexia Juliana Path
Princess Ariane Wilhelmina Path

A 'plantsoen' is Dutch for 'public garden' or 'park'

So it is:
Princess Catharina-Amalia Park

And yes, there are hundreds, if not thousands of streets, schools, parks, buildings, bridges, hospitals, ships, airplanes, etc. named to members of the Orange-Nassau dynasty.

In my own hometown Eindhoven there is a hospital named after Princess Máxima.

She already has an McDonnel Douglas MDC-10 airplane

There are a few schools named after her like this, and this, and a few more.

Of course the Prince has dozens of schools like this, and this, and this and really so many more. Barracks, planes, streets, buildings, swimming pools, hospitals, name them all.

Wow! That is very interesting. How do they find so many things to name them after the royals? LOL!!!

I have to be sincere, but I just like Ariane, the other names are really agly, I'm sorry, but fortunetly, she will be reconized as Princess Ariane, and not Princess Willhelmina, or so on.

I knew it since the first day! The name should be starting with an "A"! :lol: I like the name "Ariane", very much. The Orange girls will be known as the "Three A Princesses"!!! :ROFLMAO:

Vanesa.

I kinda hoped for a brother for Amalia and Alexia, but it's AWESOME that this baby angel is healthy and wonderful as the reports are saying.
Amalia, Alexia, and Ariane - The Charmed Ones, the Power of Three! Instead of the three P's the royal world has the three Amazing A's. :flowers:

Thanks Henri! I wasn't certain what they meant. I also assumed there must be several things named after the other royals, but I wasn't sure I knew, but I can always trust that someone here will!

Perhaps one of our more well informed members (especially on the topic of jewells) could tell me which tiara this is, as I have never seen it worn in public by any of the orange ladies.

This one would blend in perfectly:

Also, I would imagine that the 3 princesses of the current crown prince will get first choice of the jewels to wear. In fact, I imagine that it is unlikely that Laurentiens children or Mabels children will be given Tiaras. It seems that the sisters of Beatrix stopped wearing tiaras so much after Beatrixs children married, so I imagine it will be the same here, but in reverse since there are girls instead of boys.

I just do not see them wearing tiaras, outside of the children of the King/Queen or Children in law in this case.

That's correct,you've never seen it worn by any of our Orange Ladies.

I posted some pics of "headwear" in respons to Henri's remark that with so many Orange Ladies we might have to purchase some more "sets".None of the tiara's in my post belong to the Orange Family.

Am sure Henri will elaborate more on this,but Princesses are not GIVEN tiara's in our House,all jewelry is within a Foundation to prevent them from being dispersed all over,so the collection remains intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom