Inauguration of King Willem-Alexander & Reception: April 30, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I know again why I like royalty. I just love the solemnity of events like these.
The new king and queen looked very regal and ready for the job.

The four princesses in blue sitting on the front row and grandmother Beatrix explaining to Amalia was very cute.
And she seemed very touched by her son's words for her and the really long applause after.

I hope we'll get the text of the song the children sang, that was really nice.

Last edited:
Well, it was the most spectacular royal event for years! Yes, royal weddings are great, but an inauguration? Can't be beaten!! So many things to say and observe, not sure where to start, but the main thing is that I want to say that the people of the Netherlands must surely be feeling very proud indeed of their new King and Queen and of the unique and spectacular ceremonies that they have shared with the world.
Everything has been done so well and with great tradition and pride, neatness and flow and it just makes such good sense to have the two ceremonies on the same day.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima both looked very serious and maybe a little nervous as they walked into the church and I almost thought we had lost their usual relaxing way about them and fun...but of-course, this was the most important and serious moment of their lives, and their new regality and seriousness for the ceremony added to the gravity of the occassion.
There was so much continuity and tradition, not only the form of the ceremony and the speach and oath, but smaller, less obvious things, such as the king's mantle and the queen's choice of colour for her gown......and the out-going queen, now princess with tears in her eyes, just like Juliana in 1980.
Then there was the delightful images of the Princess of Orange, taking everything in and acting in a lovely manner, with her own sense of destiny perhaps.
I loved the moment when the ceremony people came out of the church and there was a fanfare and the man announced to the crowds and to the world that the King is now inaugurated!
What an amazing day, it has been a priviledge to have witnessed it all!

I loved the whole ceremony, everything absolutely poised and regal, and of course Queen Maxima just so magnificent!

Does anybody know what is the program of the royals for the remainder of the day?

16.30-18.00
Reception for royal and foreign missions, dignitaries and members of the States General and the States of Aruba, Curaçao and St Maarten, Council of Ministers for the Kindom, the Council of State, governors and prime-ministers of Aruba, Curacao and Sint Maarten and the Corps Diplomatique in the Royal Palace Amsterdam.

The Song for the King will be performed in the presence of the King and Queen, prior to the water pageant. This will take place at the EYE Film Museum via a video link with Ahoy Rotterdam.

19.45-21.30
The King and Queen will take part in a water pageant with their daughters on the River IJ. They will sail from EYE Film Institute past the Oever Park and the 'Kop van Java'. At several places along the route they will be treated to a festive programme, including a 'mini Sail'.

Celebration, hosted by the Prime Minister on behalf of the Council of Ministers for the Kingdom.
News - Het Koninklijk Huis

May I ask those of the users who know more about Dutch royalty and appearances, were the size of the crowds in Amsterdam central square satisfactory today..? Being used to seeing in our screens the much larger -at all times- crowds that concentrate to cheer the British royals in any occasion, some of us not knowledgeable about things in the Netherlands might have found the pictures we saw on TV today as rather poor from this point of view...

So, what is the norm there? Was public participation in today's events as big as hoped/expected?

Maxima looks Fabulous a true Queen.
Beatrix looks so proud and the little Princesses just adorable.
it was kind of emotional ceremony very beautiful too all the royal ladies looks great.

May I ask those of the users who know more about Dutch royalty and appearances, were the size of the crowds in Amsterdam central square satisfactory today..? Being used to seeing in our screens the much larger -at all times- crowds that concentrate to cheer the British royals in any occasion, some of us not knowledgeable about things in the Netherlands might have found the pictures we saw on TV today as rather poor from this point of view...

So, what is the norm there? Was public participation in today's events as big as hoped/expected?
There were a lot of people there. The Dam is wide and big whereas the Mall is long and small.

4:30-6pm: Gala reception for foreign royals, dignitaries and a bunch of other people at the Paleis op de Dam.

Well, I thought I was going to have a hard time getting used to the idea of "Queen Maxima"....wrong! That woman was born to be queen if anyone was. Stunning, and she and W-A are so dignified yet warm and approachable.

Letizia for the win as far as today's outfits...but I hate her hat/fascinator or whatever it was. Next is Mathilde, she looked beautiful and really seems to be hitting her stride lately.

Stephanie ruined what might have been a perfectly elegant outfit with a hat that was all wrong. Someone, anyone please get this young woman a good style advisor! Her hair and makeup were near perfect though, and at least she didn't show up like Sheikha Mozah who terrified me. Yikes! :eek:

Such a relief to see Masako there!

Great event...LONG LIVE THE KING AND QUEEN

Last edited:
Absolutely every bit as Majestic as I had hoped for,such a beautiful ceremony and very moving at times.The Dutch Monarchy put on a brilliant show for us all today,full of pomp and majesty.

NOS is reporting that CP Victoria (probably with Daniel) had just left the reception and is on her way back home.
Which brings me to this: will the foreign royals stay for tonight's festivities?

The official photos ANP Photo

And another photogallery of the royals leaving the Nieuwe Kerk PPE Agency

Last edited:
The official photos ANP Photo

And another photogallery of the royals leaving the Nieuwe Kerk PPE Agency

Until the official photo's I didn't even notice the girls dresses aren't entirely the same. Only the material is. Perhaps they were allowed to let their own preferences shine through.

Any link with videos off all the ceremonies?

Police reported there were about 25,000 people on the Dam Square, which is as much as they would allow for safety reasons.

But Queen's Day in general is a day that is celebrated throughout the nation, not just in the capital or a few big cities. Every city, town, village or community has its own festivities. The king and queen have been encouraging the Dutch to plan their own festivities, their own parties and to make sure everyone is included. So there are parties, markets, events etc. everywhere. And almost every venue has at least one big TV-screen where the abdication and inauguration could be watched.

So yes, in my opinion public participation was as big as hoped/expected. Just not that visible on tv ;)

Hello!

Does anyone know if the Installation Ceremony will be re-shown and if so where? I missed it this morning and I really want to watch it. :)

Thank you so much!

First time posting here (long time lurker)! I just think this is so exciting!!

NOS is reporting that CP Victoria (probably with Daniel) had just left the reception and is on her way back home.
Which brings me to this: will the foreign royals stay for tonight's festivities?

It is announced that they will attend.
Maybe because of her father's birthday today Victoria and Daniel went back to sweden earlier.

you could try youtube, someone might just have posted a copy on there!

It is announced that they will attend.
Maybe because of her father's birthday today Victoria and Daniel went back to sweden earlier.
It is to be expected of course, Its King Carl Gustaf 67th birthday, I'm sure Victoria wants to be part of her father birthday celebration as well. The most important event of the day just ended, tonight festivities are just to have fun, so its reasonable that she left after the reception.

What a beautiful ceremony. I couldn't help but think Stephanie reminded me of QEII's cousin Princess Alexandra in the group photo.

I arrived "too late at the feast ". Just managed to seize some snatched moments and it looks as if it has been a wonderful occasion. . So many Royals to catch up on- love the official photos of them all. Can someone explain why Beatrice is a Princess now.. I thought once a Queen, always a Queen.

I arrived "too late at the feast ". Just managed to seize some snatched moments and it looks as if it has been a wonderful occasion. . So many Royals to catch up on- love the official photos of them all. Can someone explain why Beatrice is a Princess now.. I thought once a Queen, always a Queen.

Dutch Queens "retire" as Princesses,a tradition since Queen Wilhelmina.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what was being said when they called the roll and people stood up and either held up two fingers and said something, or didn't hold up their hand but said something. I can't even write what they were saying because I only speak American English but could someone explain this portion of the service. Its about 5hr 30 mins on NOS broadcast. King Willem-Alexandra is standing while they are saying it. Thanks!!

Hello!

Does anyone know if the Installation Ceremony will be re-shown and if so where? I missed it this morning and I really want to watch it. :)

Thank you so much!

First time posting here (long time lurker)! I just think this is so exciting!!
I think this is the link for the youtube ceremony

Inhuldiging koning Willem-Alexander - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what was being said when they called the roll and people stood up and either held up two fingers and said something, or didn't hold up their hand but said something. I can't even write what they were saying because I only speak American English but could someone explain this portion of the service. Its about 5hr 30 mins on NOS broadcast. King Willem-Alexandra is standing while they are saying it. Thanks!!

It was discussed few pages ago
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...on-april-30th-2013-a-34521-4.html#post1545932
The are taking an oath. The ones keeping their fingers up promise in the name of God the ones who don't just promise (no God involved).
There is a christian and an agnostic/atheist oath. "Zo waarlijk helpe mij God almachtig" = So God help me. and "Dat beloof ik" = I promise that

Back
Top Bottom