Inauguration of King Willem-Alexander & Reception: April 30, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Qieem Maxima looked regal in her electric blue attire; by their facial expressions the king and queen are transformed spiritually into the new chapter of their live.

Long Live the King.

Dutch Queens "retire" as Princesses,a tradition since Queen Wilhelmina.
Thank you for the information. It'll take some time getting used to calling Beatrix a princess.

A very nice gallery from Berlingske Tidende: Så har den hollandske krone skiftet hoved | www.b.dk

Both of the abdication ceremony, balcony and the oats in the church. The A-team is also featured.

Så har den hollandske krone skiftet hoved | www.b.dk
This is for nerds. The second of the three guards units.
They are Garderegiment Grenadiers en Jagers. The Guards.
The "pompons" on their right shoulder indentify them as a guard regiment.
Their headgear indentify them as grenadiers, i.e. (by the time the unit was formed) heavy elite infantry. In fact the Guards was originally a mini-division, with it's own artillery, musket, jäger and grenadier regiments.
Grenadiers were preferably selected among mature, veteran soldiers who were considered reliable in battle. They were also preferably larger than average.
However, the Guards, also had a Jäger regiment. armed with rifles. They were preferably outdoorsmen and forresters or the equivalent of gamewardens on estates were very sought after as recruits. - Beause they could shoot straight and they were well suited for skirmishing and raiding which was the hallmark of jäger units.
But there was also a field artillery battery as seen in this pic: Så har den hollandske krone skiftet hoved | www.b.dk Notice the artillery badge on the bag on their backs. The bag did not contain cartridges, but spare fuses for the cannons.

Last edited:
I wonder why Prince Albert came without charlene? It would be great to see her with tiara and all

I come home right now! evething was so so beautiful!
I love see masako!!!!!

Interesting in the group picture that Charles is standing behind the new Princess of Orange - Amalia. He ofc is a 61 years and counting serving as heir and she an heir for a matter of hours

maxima and the litte princess perfects!!!!
I love the queen beatrix! we can see the emotion in her face.

Qieem Maxima looked regal in her electric blue attire; by their facial expressions the king and queen are transformed spiritually into the new chapter of their live. Long Live the King.

Elmundo is calling the color of her electric blue dress "Starry Night Blue." (A reference to Van Gogh, of course.)

Last edited:
well, I am argentina, so noe we have Messi, The Pope Francisco I and now we have too Queen Maxima! great year!

Interesting in the group picture that Charles is standing behind the new Princess of Orange - Amalia. He ofc is a 61 years and counting serving as heir and she an heir for a matter of hours

Well, Prince Charles isn't a girl, he isn't cute and he isn't the Dutch heir - soooo :p

Ouch, that must hurt, but that's the reality of the situation. :ermm:

Thanks to everyone who made it possible for all of us to share this wonderful event. It transcends language barriers.

I wonder why Prince Albert came without charlene? It would be great to see her with tiara and all

I've read at some other board that princess Charlene wouldn't attend at the event because she would be at South Afrca to fullfill some of charity work of her foundation ant do attend a weddinf of a very close friend.

I didn't watch the inauguration live and have only looked at still pictures. It seems like Willem-Alexander was very serious. It bothers me that he didn't seem to acknowledge his wife... she often looked at him but he did not seem to return her glances.

^He actually looked at her a few times, but he was a bit nervous, thats understandable.

NGalitzine you got a point there, no one wants their parents to die.
But I also see one other point here, I think he must have felt something, like imagining himself on a ceremony like this when he is King. Not only him, but maybe the other heirs as well, imagining themselves in the future. Very nostalgic.

Why would it hurt? In order for him to come to the throne his mother must die, not an event most children look forward to:bang:

You're beating your head against the wall for no reason. No inference is being made to any death wish, but perhaps Charles is thinking of the different merits of abdication versus inheritence via the natural progression of a life span, considering that he's standing behind a child who suddenly became his equal within a few hours because of abdication.

Last edited:
That was not a coronation, sadly. It had little pomp or ceremony, and in my eyes, was rather poor. S

That was not a coronation, sadly. It had little pomp or ceremony, and in my eyes, was rather poor. S

Because it's not a coronation, it's an inauguration. Big difference but very solemnly well performed nontheless.This has an intimate feel.

Princess Masako at the inauguration :flowers:: Daylife Gallery

(Of course, you can also use the link to find other royals by changing the keywords.)

You're right on the money: it was indeed not a coronation. It was never presented as such and nobody calls it a coronation. It's an inauguration.

Exactly. There is no such thing as a coronation in the NL. Only an inauguration which was great IMO. :)

The whole thing was quite beautiful, it was a sad and joyous event carried out with class and dignity.

Perhaps this is not the correct place to ask, but I cannot find the answer in any of the inauguration threads. It was mentioned that kings/queens do not attend ascensions to the thrones of other nations. Does anyone know why this is?

Us Dutch people have an inauguration instead of a coronation and this was as much pomp and pageantry and ceremony as we will ever have.

I didn't watch the inauguration live and have only looked at still pictures. It seems like Willem-Alexander was very serious. It bothers me that he didn't seem to acknowledge his wife... she often looked at him but he did not seem to return her glances.

He maybe did not acknowledge his wife with glances (as neither his mother nor grandmother did at their inaugurations), but he did mention her very explicitly in his speech (by her first name, and that was unprecedented).

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Masako at the inauguration :flowers:: Daylife Gallery

(Of course, you can also use the link to find other royals by changing the keywords.)

Thanks for the link ::flowers:
I've been looking for pics of Princess Masako since last night.Great to see her there and smiley.Lovely brooch!

Back
Top Bottom