Hudson 400th - WA and Máxima's Official Visit to New York: September 8-13, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the photos from Saturday are just stunning. So many events, it has been great fun to watch just as I'm sure they are ready to go home. I thought Maxima looked really beautiful for her New York visit.:D

I love seeing photos of the WA and Maxima dancing! They do seem very much in love.

Maxima and W-A the couple who are most in love? Most definetly yes!

This morning TRH will take the free orange bycicles to get them to Battery Park,again.

TRH will take the salute of the Fleet of both US and Dutch ships,vessels big and small as well as Navy ships of both countries,
from the bridge of Hr.Ms.Tromp in front of the statue of Liberty.
Fly by of Royal Dutch Airforce F16 aircraft

The visit to NYC will be concluded by a walk too and visit of New Amsterdam Village.

Later today TRH will return on a scheduled KLM flight after they have a brief meeting with the press.

Think the visit has been a huge success and they really succeeded in bringing both the origin of present day New York
across as well as representing the US's eldest,and first,allies,The Netherlands.:flowers:

Last edited:
aww, they make such a lovely couple. her dress is lovely. i love that soft pink color, and the glittery beading (?) perks it up beautifully.

looking at their interacion on the dancefloor, they look still so happy and in love with each other. after how many years together?! it's so nice to see how into each other they are!

I've always thought that from the younger royals there is especially substance to WA and Maxima, like some of their attitudes or not. This has been one of the magic moments when representing their country. A unique opportunity and they made most of it. The schedule of this visit and especially the fact that President Obama, the most powerful leader of the western world, Head of State and Head of Government with an extremely busy schedule these days took time to greet them - the meeting could have done by Michelle alone or Vice President Biden instead, still he took his time. Thanks all for the coverage, especially Lucien for explaining some details and historic backgrounds : - )

ohh, maxima looked delightful at the ball!
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Sep2009/PPE09091279.jpg

Later today TRH will return on a scheduled KLM flight after they have a brief meeting with the press.

Think the visit has been a huge success and they really succeeded in bringing both the origin of present day New York
across as well as representing the US's eldest,and first,allies,The Netherlands.

i agree, they really seem to have covered so many events and i'm sure since they were quite public many new yorkers now know a bit more on their city's very dutch origin.

so they are coming in a scheduled KLM flight! quite admirable they didn't decide to take any personal planes. i like how they seem to fly in normal flights every time it is possible.

South Street Seaport Museum,opening of the exhibition:`New Amsterdam - Island at the Center of the World`

PPE Agency

Visiting the New Island Festival at Governors Island:

PPE Agency

Dinner and Ball at Hr Ms Tromp

Our Alexander and Máxima,what a radiant wonderfull couple and just drop dead gorgious:

PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE:)

They spend wonderful time in NYC :) I adore pictures from ball, they're sweet couple :wub:

They seem to spend good time with Armin van Buuren . CP Maxima could be good DJ :whistling:

Interview with Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima (in Duch)
NOS Mediaplayer

Pity it is so long that I can't translate it one two three,but maybe a fellow dutchman/woman can?There's another video in the line:

On the visit to the White House:
They were received warm and cordially and had talks on many issues,more a brush on many issues,one of them being the President saying how he admired the Dutch care system and could use parts of that to implement in the US,and Máxima and Michelle on being working mothers etc etc

On Hillary Clinton and Alexander knowing her for 15 years now and how warm a friendship there is between them

On the coverage by the US press,it had been on the Morning Shows,and throughout the newsmedia and was well received

How friends of Máxima had called her as they had seen her on the news everywhere and they called to say:'We see you are here and everywhere and why didn't you call,we didn't know you were here.

Máxima said how packed the program was so she wasn't able to drop by,
but also how thoroughly the two had enjoyed it all.

In short.

Willem-Alexander in New Amsterdam Village,it's partly in english and the reportes ends with saying something in the line of;"If history didn't have this slight twist,then all this ( New York City and the rest) could have been all theirs"....:lol:....Imagine,all of you speaking dutch.

You know that till in the 1960's the dutch reformed church send dutch ministers to the US as many services were still held in dutch at the former first settler towns,like NYC for example?And that dutch is still used in the more traditional areas?

The couple is to arrive back here in just over an hour and home just in time to cuddle the girls and bring them to school!....grin...

Some nice pics on the RH site:

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=30018

Last edited:
After this hectic agenda I presume they will have a couple a days quiet with the girls to recuparate and go back to work! I really enjoy to see them in this trip , well in the forum of course!

It is so nice to see two people so much in love with one another. They really make a good team. I look forward to follow them in the years to come

Considering Michelle has the best and highest education of either of them I am sure she will be able to converse with both of them - perhaps even at the same time.

that's rather arguable. both HRHs speak several languages and have degrees as high as michelle obama.

Michelle has a Bachelors & a graduate degree (law). I believe that the Prince & Princess each only have a bachelors degree. However, you are right they speak several languages while she only speaks English. I do agree that it is a conversation of equals. The Prince, Princess, and the Obamas' are a worldy and educated group! I wouldn't mind sitting on a couch and just listening to Princess Maxima talk about her travels. She has the most fascinating life!

I belive Maxima has a graduate degree in economics

I belive Maxima has a graduate degree in economics

It's all here,and I am glad Hyacint had the mercy and kindness to comply with the level of education of TRH as opposed to chèr Michelle,
such a relief...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::p

Máxima

The Dutch Royal House

Alexander

The Dutch Royal House

I would like to hear more about the breakfast meeting where the Dutch and Americans discuss their experiences in trading jobs for a week (by the way, if any of the Dutch members would like to trade jobs with this American for a week, I would happily comply :D).

The Prince and Princess both were very impressed with the Job Swap initiative.
AO,a teacher,a midwife and a fireman "went swapping" in New York City,while the reverse takes place this week.
Didn't get to "squeeze" more out of it then this,yet,but it shows the diversity of what is swapped jobwise I think.:)

Last edited:
Maxima has graduated at the Universidad Católica Argentina and Michelle Obama has graduated at Princeton and Harvard Law School which are either on their own superior schools.
Maxima would find it very easy to acknowledge that Michelle has a greater academic background and is the more intellectual of the two of them.

It's all here,and I am glad Hyacint had the mercy and kindness to comply with the level of education of TRH as opposed to chèr Michelle,
such a relief...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::p

Máxima

The Dutch Royal House

Alexander

The Dutch Royal House

The Prince and Princess both were very impressed with the Job Swap initiative.
AO,a teacher,a midwife and a fireman "went swapping" in New York City,while the reverse takes place this week.
Didn't get to "squeeze" more out of it then this,yet,but it shows the diversity of what is swapped jobwise I think.:)

'course she would,allthough having studied longer doesn't automatically imply one is the more intellectual then the other.
It just implies both have attended,and finished,a higher education and make that to the best use in either specific situation.C'est ca.

I find this whole non-issue a nagging nonsense of sorts anyway

Last edited:
Perhaps we can move on from comparing the educations of Michelle Obama and Princess Maxima.
What relevance it had to the thread has been exhausted.

Thanks,
marmi
Dutch forum moderator

From the NRC:

Dutch party draws mostly Dutch crowd in New York

Published: 14 September 2009 16:40 | Changed: 14 September 2009 16:41

The Dutch theatre festival that took place in New York over the weekend was meant to attract American visitors, but New Yorkers showed little interest.

The weather was against the New Island festival, one of the pillars of the so-called 'NY400' celebrations. On Friday, the second day of the out-doors festival the storm was so severe that all shows on Governors Island, an island in the New York harbour, had to be cancelled. More performances were called off on Saturday and Sunday when the Manhattan metro line that connects to the ferry was out of order because of maintenance.
But external factors aside, there was limited interest from New Yorkers, the target audience of the festivities. "We are doing it for the American audience; who else would we do it for?" festival director Henk Scholten had said in advance.

Read the entire article here.

---
There has been some minor criticisms about the costs of the celebrations, 6 million euros. Among the problems are the costs of some mayors from the province of Friesland who wanted to travel there (for no good reason other than wanting a state paid trip abroad).

---
And some showbiz problems: actress Halina Reijn says that she wasn't allowed to meet the prince of Orange and princess Máxima because she played the role of Mabel in a tv. series about the crisis around Mabel when she married into the RF. While the actress was ready to greet the royal couple, she was told it was too 'politically sensative' and asked to go away. The officias deny that such a request was ever made and say that Halina Reijn was never supposed to greet the crown princely couple in the first place (but some other actors were). The politically sensative comment seems rather bogus IMHO, nobody watched the programme in which Halina played Mabel, and nobody seemed to care either.

---------
Other criticism was more serious IMO, some blamed the Dutch organisation for completely ignoring the black page in the history of New Amsterdam: slavery.

Last edited:
It was not.Time and time again during the visit the Prince and Princess included the diversity and tolerance of all New Yorkers,
without naming each and every single colour or lack of it,they included all and everyone so no need to single out anyone especially.

But OK,it had some minor publicity generated and some in the lime-light for a sec aka minute of fame.Such things are to be expected here or there,there's always one or a group that demands to be singled out for one reason or another.And history is such that one can not change it nor turn it back.

Too bad that all happened centuries ago,well ofcourse,but you got to see it in the light of that time.What's the alternative?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom