Hudson 400th - WA and Máxima's Official Visit to New York: September 8-13, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is such a shame that every time something is done in a good spirit there has to be some kind of critisism. I thought the visit seemed wonderful. I learned things I didn't know. Nothing is ever perfect and it seems there is always someone upset. The Prince and Princess of Orange did a great job and I wish I would have been in New York to enjoy it!! Bravo to them to be above ..it all!!

It is such a shame that every time something is done in a good spirit there has to be some kind of critisism. I thought the visit seemed wonderful. I learned things I didn't know. Nothing is ever perfect and it seems there is always someone upset. The Prince and Princess of Orange did a great job and I wish I would have been in New York to enjoy it!! Bravo to them to be above ..it all!!

Thanks,my thoughts exactly rubies.:)

Btw,Royalblog only today had their pics of the total visit up

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/photos/india_in_beeld/

Last edited:
It was not.Time and time again during the visit the Prince and Princess included the diversity and tolerance of all New Yorkers

Naming diversity and tolerance is one thing, naming slavery is another. I don't see how they 'cover' slavery by mentioning that NYC is diverse and tolerant. Neither do I understand why the foreign ministairy did not mention it this time in the speech of the PoO. Since they were celebrating that 400 years ago we started a colony there, it would have been relevant to remember that 400 years ago we introduced slavery there too, something which marked the USA for centuries and some could argue that it still does.

without naming each and every single colour or lack of it,they included all and everyone so no need to single out anyone especially.

So,ask President Obama if he's arguing,if he ever did.Or ask the natives,the indians that were kulled from that time onwards,I didn't hear them.Ever.No specific group in general is to be singled out,nobody has that much time on their hands to name 'm all
No.No,it is just this one perticular black church in Harlem that wishes to be singled out and our press can't help themselves but blow that story up to more then it is meaning as if the whole of black america suddenly rose.They didn't.There's always that,a group or anyone who demands attention one way or another.I said that before already.I also asked what would the alternative be,even offered one.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have minded the prince or any other dutch official mentioning the way the Indians were treated by the colonists too. Like the other settlements in America, the one of New Amsterdam also came with a price, a price paid by slaves and Indians mainly.

You are right that the reason why this received attention is because of the church in Harlem that felt neglected by the royal visit, which focussed on Manhatten.

Harlem is a neighbourhood in Manhattan north of Central Park.
The area had not as much to do with our first settlement there
as that it was included in the 60 guilders we payed for the whole of Manhattan.

If the blacks would have craved for so much attention,and if they hold history so dear,
then why didn't they restore the cemetary of the then slaves in their memory??Why not?
It's in shambles,in Manhattan,partly underneath a parking lot for Pete's sake,instead of complaining.
That would have put them on the map,then people would have payed attention.Not now.

Last edited:
Hi, does anybody knows what kind of earrings Maxixma wears at the dj van Buuren show? She has them in different colors. White she's wearing there but also blue she was wearing at the photo session on the beach with the children.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harlem is a neighbourhood in Manhattan north of Central Park.
The area had not as much to do with our first settlement there
as that it was included in the 60 guilders we payed for the whole of Manhattan.

If the blacks would have craved for so much attention,and if they hold history so dear,
then why didn't they restore the cemetary of the then slaves in their memory??Why not?
It's in shambles,in Manhattan,partly underneath a parking lot for Pete's sake,instead of complaining.
That would have put them on the map,then people would have payed attention.Not now.
Thats right! don't EVEN get me started. I'm sure the people that were mad knew as much about Dutch history in New York as I did. Why not just learn.:bang: and be done with it!

And,on a lighter note,anyone who wondered who did the magnificent hairdo's of the Princess during the visit?The guy who did her hair while she was still living in NYC,she called him and he was to pleased that this happy customer of yesteryear thought of him still.Nice huh?:)

What a splashing success this trip was for TRH. Maxima really was a shining star. Her wardrobe was polished and so well put together. I did notice how posh her hair seemed this trip. Maybe her NY stylist should jet over the pond often? Its so nice to have royalty in the states. (twice in two weeks!)

Naming diversity and tolerance is one thing, naming slavery is another. I don't see how they 'cover' slavery by mentioning that NYC is diverse and tolerant. Neither do I understand why the foreign ministairy did not mention it this time in the speech of the PoO. Since they were celebrating that 400 years ago we started a colony there, it would have been relevant to remember that 400 years ago we introduced slavery there too, something which marked the USA for centuries and some could argue that it still does.

Thank You!

But you know you can't please everyone and it could've been an oversight.
I know it's hindsight but it would've been cool if they had visited Harlem....wasn't it named after the Dutch?

Thank You!

But you know you can't please everyone and it could've been an oversight.
I know it's hindsight but it would've been cool if they had visited Harlem....wasn't it named after the Dutch?

It was named after the dutch city of Haarlem.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom