Dutch Working Visits to German States: 2014-2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least 3,000 Dutch citizens died at Buchenwald, many of them members of the Dutch Resistance.
I had been in Dahal, and it s the most compelling feeling, it is imposible to comprehend that this really happen!
But when I was there in Germany, Germans do not like to talk about it and we got lost and when we asked directions to get there nobody would help everybody would answer :"I do not know" but finally we got there with a map help.
An I would never forget, so incredible sad, that you cry............

From October 10 - 12th the king and queen will be paying their 5th visit to German States, this time to the Rhineland-Palatinate and the Saarland.

I hope that during this German visit that Maxima does not wear any controversial garments such as the "Swastika" grey coat by Iversen (AFAIR) that was worn in Bavaria! I also hope that Queen Maxima does not wear her spider pins because some folk have arachnophobia!

I hope that during this German visit that Maxima does not wear any controversial garments such as the "Swastika" grey coat by Iversen (AFAIR) that was worn in Bavaria! I also hope that Queen Maxima does not wear her spider pins because some folk have arachnophobia!

That was just an attempt by media to cause a stir. By the public it was generally met with a yawn and indifference. Everyone knew that it was nonsense and that neither Claes Iversen nor Queen Máxima had that intention.

Picture: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/15/17/332C37CC00000578-3542155-image-a-111_1460738923237.jpg

Willem-Alexander and Maxima will start their visit today. Mainz is prepared: https://twitter.com/rlpNews?s=09

Mainz is a nice not to small and not to big city. I hope we will see a few nice pictures of the town.(I especially recommend the christsmas market. It's one of the more traditional ones, but not as crowded with tourists as some others (it's still pretty crowded, but not as bad as others).)

Last edited:
I read on twitter that the mayor addressed the queen in English but she replied in German. I do not recall her speaking German before.

She did?! Thats great! You are right, she never spoke this language in public before.

HM looks so elegant again! Malu Dreyer (the lady in the red, half unbuttoned suit)?! Oh, well....

Last edited:
It seems that they made a little boat trip on the Rhine yesterday. A great favourite among Dutch pensioners.

Last edited:
On February 22nd it was announced that the states of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Brandenburg will be visited on May 20th-22nd 2019.

The announcement of the RVD mentions close connections with Mecklenburg in the maritime sector and in shipbuilding. It also mentions possibilities to cooperate in coastal protection. And the importance of agriculture, tourism and culture in rural areas. For Brandenburg it mentions the movie industry and creative industries.

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actue...eken-mecklenburg-voor-pommeren-en-brandenburg

Both states have a lot of connections with the Dutch RF. Let's hope we will see a visit to the fairytale-like Schloss Schwerin and ideally a dinner at Potsdam or Schloss Oranienburg of Pss Louise Henriette with the alternative prince and princess of Orange: Prince Georg Friedrich and Princess Sophie of Prussia. I do not think a member of the RF has visited Schwerin publicly since the First World War. Juliana may have visited relatives there in the interbellum perhaps.

Last edited:
Wow, that audience!

Nice hat they visited the impressive Schloss, which was once home to Heinrich von Mecklenburg, maternal grandfather of Princess Beatrix:

Wilhelmina der Nederlanden x Heinrich von Mecklenburg
|
Juliana der Nederlanden x Bernhard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld
|
Beatrix der Nederlanden

Last edited by a moderator:
And who is the other couple?

According the program they must be Ihre Exzellenz Frau Manuela Schwesig geborene Frenzel, Ministerpräsidentin des Landes Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and her husband Herr Stefan Schwesig.

Last edited:
yes, it's Manuela Schwesig. She was Germany's (social democratic) minister for family affairs until she became minister president of Schleswig Holstein pretty suddenly in 2017 (because her predecessor got cancer).
She got herself a fun organge dress for the special occasion. Normally Social Democrats are only allowed to wear red so she probably took the rare chance :cool:

It is relatively easy to understand what people say or to read a German text. But to speak it and esp. to write it takes some training. Especially as German has a lot of nouns which is difficult for non-native German speakers.

What do you mean when you say German has "a lot of nouns" ? Are you perhaps trying to say that German nouns, determiners and adjectives are declined according to grammatical case, as Dutch nouns, adjectives and determiners also used to be up to the early 20th century, but not anymore ?

I assume Dutch should be fairly easy to understand for people from Northern Germany as it is much closer to Low Saxon than to standard High German. I don't know if many Germans still speak Low Saxon/Low German at home these days though (probably not).

Last edited:
Last edited:
It isn't all that difficult to speak nor write really.I come from the time there only was ONE Dutch tv station and two Germans,ARD and ZDF so we watched the latter more often then the first...as that only started at 20.00PM....So it came naturally....But imagine and compare that with todays media and social stuff...Another universe..

:previous:

For me Dutch is easy to understand but impossible to speak myself..?

Day 2 today, May 21, has started with a visit to the shipbuilding company MV Werften Rostock in Rostock-Warnemünde:

** Pic **

What do you mean when you say German has "a lot of nouns" ? Are you perhaps trying to say that German nouns, determiners and adjectives are declined according to grammatical case, as Dutch nouns, adjectives and determiners also used to be up to the early 20th century, but not anymore ?

I assume Dutch should be fairly easy to understand for people from Northern Germany as it is much closer to Low Saxon than to standard High German. I don't know if many Germans still speak Low Saxon/Low German at home these days though (probably not).

German is difficult for Dutch to speak because of the complicated grammar. In Dutch we knew the genitive too but almost all genitives have been simplified by using the datif with "van". In German however the genitive is is still very much alive in daily speech.

German:
Des Kaisers neue Kleider.
Meines Vaters Haus.

Old-fashioned Dutch:
De nieuwe kleren des keizers.
Het huis mijns vaders.

Modern Dutch:
De nieuwe kleren van de Keizer.
Het huis van mijn vader.

Therefore a Dutchman would say in German:
"Die neue Kleider von der Kaiser"
or
"Das Haus von mein Vater"

which may sound very odd in German ears (but still understandable).

--------------------------------------------------

We can see it at the Court too:
Kabinet des Konings has become Kabinet van de Koning.

Or in the magistrature:
In naam des Konings! has become In naam van de Koning!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dutchmen raised in ye oldfashioned Dutch grammar before 1945 should not have too much problems with German.

Last edited:
German:
Des Kaisers neue Kleider.
Meines Vaters Haus.

Therefore a Dutchman would say in German:
"Die neue Kleider von der Kaiser"
or
"Das Haus von mein Vater"
Actually, in today's "street German" you'd actually hear:
"Die neuen Kleider vom Kaiser."
or
"Das Haus von meinem Vater."

The grammatically correct forms "des Kaisers", "meines Vaters" are less and less heard nowadays. "Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod." <--- Idiom and also a book title describing the decline of correct grammar in German.

@topic: I am still intrigued by this tour. Has it ever occurred before, that a monarch is touring a foreign country so systematically? It almost feels like His Majesty is considering Germany as his country, too. Has he any say in this tour or has that been a "government order"? I mean, I'm not complaining. I enjoyed the opportunity to see Their Majesties in Wiesbaden a couple of years ago.

best wishes Michiru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom