Dutch Summer Photo Sessions: 2013-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"What else could they do?"

Stick around. That is pretty much the point of a constitutional, non-entitled monarchy...

There's nothing Philippe and Mathilde can do, other than show sympathy, but we saw them there, wading in rubber boots.

It's probably not a good idea to go to Greece again :ermm:, but Marengo, be realistic. As angering as W-A may be, Amalia is not going be Queen within the next decade as long as he's alive. And if he is alive and has decided to step down, she will not be able to fix the mess.

Philippe and Mathilde have 30+ deaths to mourn, lots of wounded, missing and there is also a Fête Nationale on July 21st. Even without floodings: their holidays are always after National Day. The situation is incomparable.

The Dutch King and Queen have been in flooded Valkenburg. They heard from authorities that all is in control. Not one death. Not one wounded. No missings. Relatively small material damage (no collapsed houses like in Belgium or Germany). Just wet feet and mud. And as we know from experience: within hours they can always be back in the country.

He is King of a country which is 2/3rd under sea level. A flooding with no deaths, no wounded, no missing and no collapsed buildings, is not a Watersnood (a Flood) but wateroverlast (a flooding) for Dutch standards.

Rijkswaterstaat (the Dutch State Water Infrastructure) has lowered the alarm from extreem hoog water (extremely high water levels) to verhoogde waterstand (higher water levels).

As these floodings will become a regular phenomenon, on the coming Prinsjesdag -without doubt- the King will announce even more infrastructure works and nature management on the already formidable structures in the country.

Last edited:
Do we know for sure that they left yesterday or today? The king and queen visited the area PRIOR to any national politician including the prime minister, so they did show that their support and interest in what is happening in Limburg. The locals were really pleased that they came over to see it for themselves and talk to those affected.

Last edited:
Do we know for sure that they left yesterday or today? The king and queen visited the area PRIOR to any national politician including the prime minister, so they did show that their support and interest in what is happening in Limburg.

I have not seen a pic of them leaving for or arriving in Greece. Usually there is always someone spotting them. They only announced to go to Greece indeed -as usual- but not when.

Last edited:
"What else could they do?"

Stick around. That is pretty much the point of a constitutional, non-entitled monarchy...

There's nothing Philippe and Mathilde can do, other than show sympathy, but we saw them there, wading in rubber boots.

It's probably not a good idea to go to Greece again :ermm:, but Marengo, be realistic. As angering as W-A may be, Amalia is not going be Queen within the next decade as long as he's alive. And if he is alive and has decided to step down, she will not be able to fix the mess.

You seem to be uninformed. If we are going to compare, the question would be: why did it take Philippe and Mathilde until Friday to visit the area? Willem-Alexander and Máxima managed to visit on Thursday (also wearing those high acclaimed rubber boots)! Even though that was also their daughter's graduation day (according to some sources).

I'd say both couples did what they should do in a situation like this: visit the area asap and talk to those affected. Willem-Alexander and Máxima did so on Thursday (wonderful that they did so on the very first day of the flooding - and much appreciated) and Philippe and Mathilde on Friday (took a little longer (until the second day) - but still very much appreciated).

Last edited:
A cynics might say WA&max had to go on their visit ASAP so they could go before they jetted off on their hols

I know it's not important but I like the way they've worn what they like rather than colour co-ordinated their outfits.

A cynics might say WA&max had to go on their visit ASAP so they could go before they jetted off on their hols

On Wednesday the King had contact with the Governor of Limbourg to be informed. Then he had contact with the Regional Safety Board Limbourg South

On Thursday the King and Queen visited the flooded area, after the graduation of Princess Amalia. They saw and heard about wet flooded streets and wet houses. No deaths, no wounded, no missing.

On Friday the royal family had their Summer photo sessions. It was also the last school day for the Princesses.

In the meantime the water levels are lowering now the peak has passed Roermond (some 60 km North of Maastricht) where the Meuse flows in huge lakes which drops the level. No danger is expected for the rest of the Netherlands because the projects of the last 3 decades to give space to the rivers will slow down and lower the flooding.

The problem is that in Belgium they have not given space to the river. In Dinant, in Durbuy, in Liège, all the same: concrete to concrete, with buildings at both sides. Where can swollen water ever go? Then the flood arrives in the Netherlands, in Maastricht. But there the Meuse is diverted to a nature area destined to work as water bassins while the main shipping route continues in the Juliana Canal, bypassing the Meuse, meaning the swollen water can flow freely and overflood lands and is not blocked like in Belgium. Under Roermond the Juliana Canal floods in the Meuse , the river again is the main route for ships. This means the original Meuse is not used by any traffic but works as a gigantic water bassin of some 60 km long -between Maastricht and Roermond- to absorb floods coming from Belgium. After Roermond the Meuse is the main river again for all traffic.

The flooded areas in Valkenburg and Roermond are mainly where smaller rivers (the Geul resp. the Roer) can not flow into mighty Meuse. These historical cities, where a smaller stream flows in a major stream, have always been risk areas. With the Climate Change this risk will be more frequent.

The country is safe. If the King can not trust that the gigantic fortune the Dutch have to spend on their water infrastructure will not hold, he can never leave the country...

Last edited:
Marengo I agree with you. With all that has happened, the King and Queen should show more compassion for their citizens.
Without forgetting that in Holland there are also many places where they could spend holidays.
I don't see, for example, King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia having this kind of attitude in a situation like this.

Felipe and letizia’s (ample) vacation time is on the level of a closely guarded state secret in Spain, to a much greater degree than in other monarchies. Would they cancel their holidays entirely for something like this? We don’t know, because they always refuse to comment, and the Spanish press has never pushed the issue.

Certainly there have been times through the years when I’ve thought that the Spanish couple - Letizia, in particular - could have shown more presence and compassion in difficult times. WA and Maxima aren’t the only royal couple who are very attached to their holidays.

Felipe and letizia’s (ample) vacation time is on the level of a closely guarded state secret in Spain, to a much greater degree than in other monarchies. Would they cancel their holidays entirely for something like this? We don’t know, because they always refuse to comment, and the Spanish press has never pushed the issue.

Certainly there have been times through the years when I’ve thought that the Spanish couple - Letizia, in particular - could have shown more presence and compassion in difficult times. WA and Maxima aren’t the only royal couple who are very attached to their holidays.

Felipe and Letizia a few years ago interrupted their vacation when there was an attack in Catalonia in 2017.
But the situation in the Netherlands is not that complicated, and the Royal Family can proceed with their vacation plan, no problem.

In essence:
- no deaths
- no wounded
- no missing
- no collapsed buildings
- one cow felt in water in Echt (middle Limbourg) and was found -alive- 100 km furtherer and helped out of the Meuse river (and could be milked indeed).

The danger for the waterworks is gone. All formidable water-infrastructures of the project Maaswerken (Meuse-works) seem to hold. The King and his four ladies can depart for Greece. All five of them are vaccinated and as they go to their own secluded estate, it is all okay with the restrictions in Greece and the Netherlands.

Last edited:
According to this article:
https://www.vorsten.nl/vorstenhuizen/nederland/alexia-is-nog-niet-gaan-kijken-in-wales/

It was news for King W-A that Princess Leonor will attend the same school as Alexia.
He said: "They know each other and I'm sure they'll get along well."

The above sounds as if he heard it from the journalist. The next sentence indicates that is not the case. Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to tell that Leonor kept her identity hidden in the admission process and gained entry based on her merits not her title.

So, I guess both parents (and daughters) decided independently that the teenagers would be to UWC and only found out later that the other had made the same decision.

So, I guess both parents (and daughters) decided independently that the teenagers would be to UWC and only found out later that the other had made the same decision.

Yes. I transcripted the interview-part about Wales and they didn't know about Leonor going until after Alexia was already admitted:

Journalist: En heeft u tips uitgewisseld met de Koning van Spanje? Zijn dochter gaat natuurlijk ook naar Wales?
WA: Dat hoorden we pas nadat Alexia al aangenomen was. Dus dat was een totale verassing voor ons. Maar ik weet zeker dat ze het goed samen zullen vinden. En ik vind het fantastisch dat de kroonprinses van Spanje helemaal op eigen kracht onder een … gewoon daar het selectie proces doorgemaakt heeft en uitgekozen is. In het laatste moment wisten ze pas wie het was toen ze bij een interview moest verschijnen. Ze heeft op geen enkele manier haar naam gebruikt om daar binnen te komen, dat vind ik ook fantastisch.
J: Kennen ze elkaar al?
W.-A: Ze kennen elkaar wel, maar niet heel goed. Maar ze kennen elkaar wel.

Journalist: Did you discuss the topic with the King of Spain? As his daughter will also go to Wales?

Willem-Alexander: We learned about that not until Alexia was admitted. So that was a total surprise for us. But I'm sure they'll be fine together. And I think it’s fantastic that the Crown Princess of Spain went through the selection process completely on her own and was chosen. They [The school] only knew at the last minute who she was, because she had to appear for an interview. She did not use her name in any way to get in and I think that's great.

J: Do they [Leonor and Alexia] already know each other?
W-A: They do know each other, but not very well. But they do know each other.

Last edited:

I do wonder what each girl and her respective parents thought when they found out the other was going. I don’t know if I would have seen it as an entirely pleasant surprise (on either the Spanish or the Dutch side). I think the class size at the school they’ll attend is fairly small and now they’ll each be starting out with someone who isn’t really a friend but still has an idea of what they’ve been like from the time they were very small, and who comes from an almost identical background.

The King, himself an alumnus from this Atlantic College, said about his advice for Princess Alexia on her new school: "Be open for, and meet your fellows: they will become friends for life."

Like the King back then, also Princess Alexia and the Infanta Doña Sofía are in their formative years. This sort of friendships in this stage of life tend to stick for a lifetime. It would be nice that both royals at the age of 78 still meet each other and remember their years at the same boarding school...

Also Queen Máxima maintains a group of best friends which she knows from Northlands College in Buenos Aires. One of her classmates at Northlands even married a Dutchman as well: the high- and wellborn lady Willem-Frederik van Welderen barones Rengers born Samantha Deane.

Last edited:
Some really nice photos of Dutch Royal Family. I must admit I have always adored the youngest, Princess Ariane. Such a sweet face and always a nice smile with natural pose. I will enjoy watching her mature and fulfill her life's wishes.

Beautiful photos! My only complaints are that Ariane blends in with the white decor and it looks like Alexia is wearing pajamas.

Was there anything revealed..an interview?

Beautiful photos! My only complaints are that Ariane blends in with the white decor and it looks like Alexia is wearing pajamas.

Was there anything revealed..an interview?

Amalia was asked about her first 'tiara moment' - with a reference to her espoused love for tiara and she explained that she was very happy that she wore her mother's wedding tiara (a decision that seemed to have been made by the two of them together) and also with the end results (look in general). When she was asked about her own 'catch-up birthday party' - that apparently will take place this summer, she answered that it will be very different: much more relaxed.

The king talked about his support for the farmers who need 'perspective' in the debate about nitrogen that will most likely result in many farmers being forced to quit. Earlier this week there was a national manifestation against the government plans related to nitrogen reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the girls have nicknames?

....other than Amalia being Amalia.

The session was planned to be on the beach, but due to the weather it was switched last moment to the inside of Noordeinde palace, which is not very inspiring as most of the interior was ruined during a fire in the 1940s & replaced by what looks like a fancy hotel lobby.

Some other tidbits from the chat with the press:

Amalia mentioned that she and Ingrid-Alexandra and Elisabeth are in an app-group together.

Jeroen Snel -who became more blunt/rude in his questioning since he is hanging out at RTL boulevard - asked about the love life of the princess. Amalia said that she felt loved by many people in her surroundings but that it was perhaps not the answer Snel was looking for. She added that for now she wanted to keep things to her self.

Snel replied rather impolitely that she seemed to have rehearsed that answer and pressed on. The King -fortunately- intervened. he emphasized that his daugther is only 18 y/o and starting university. And that, when in the future a marriage is planned, the press will be notified.

--

The pictures on the staircase were an idea/request of the photographers, as they were not able to take a lot of different shots in the palace.

Well done by Amalia and sorry to hear that Jeroen Snel changed his tone. He at least is aware of the difference between his former and current audience.

And good to know that Elisabeth, Amalia an Ingrid are in an app-group. I wonder whether the others (mostly thinking about Christian and Leonor) will join at some point.

Some other tidbits from the chat with the press:

Amalia mentioned that she and Ingrid-Alexandra and Elisabeth are in an app-group together.

Jeroen Snel -who became more blunt/rude in his questioning since he is hanging out at RTL boulevard - asked about the love life of the princess. Amalia said that she felt loved by many people in her surroundings but that it was perhaps not the answer Snel was looking for. She added that for now she wanted to keep things to her self.

Snel replied rather impolitely that she seemed to have rehearsed that answer and pressed on. The King -fortunately- intervened. he emphasized that his daugther is only 18 y/o and starting university. And that, when in the future a marriage is planned, the press will be notified.

--

The pictures on the staircase were an idea/request of the photographers, as they were not able to take a lot of different shots in the palace.

Talk about poor taste!

Unfortunately I imagine he was expected to ask as personal questions as he could get away with by his bosses.

Nice retort by Amalia BTW. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom