Dutch State Visit to the People's Republic of China: October 25-29, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen to be admitted into hospital - the RVD stated the following:

"This evening Her Majesty Queen Máxima will fly back from China to the Netherlands because of her illness. Upon arrival the Queen will be admitted into the Bronovo Hospital in The Hague for furtherer review. This decision has been made in consultation with doctors. During the State Visit to the People's Republic of China, an infection to the kidneys was determined. Queen Máxima receives medication for this, but the symptoms, like fever and pain in the back, have not suffiently treated so far.

His Majesty King Willem-Alexander will continue the program of the State Visit, as planned."

You know I am thinking about the girls. With Dad thousands miles away and mom so sick they must pretty shaken, especially the youngest. Of course they are well taken care of and comforted but it still must be hard.

it's such a shame we won't see maxima in this state visit, but i am happy that at least she made it to the state banquet, being the professional working royal she is! chapeau.

it makes sense she is leaving china, no point in hanging around if feeling unwell. i am sure she will recover speedily and she will be well taken care of back home.

Oh I do hope Maxima will recover soon, it must have been so miserable and frustrating for her the last few days being ill and so far away from home. I'm glad the decision has been made.

It is more serious than was thought.
The Queen will be admitted to the Bronovo hospital after arriving in the Netherlands

I'm sorry to hear about Maxima's illness and hope she gets better soon.

It is more serious than was thought.
The Queen will be admitted to the Bronovo hospital after arriving in the Netherlands

Pyelonephritis may progress to a serious condition if not treated adequately. Hospitalization is a good precaution in case the queen has to receive intravenous antibiotic treatment and undergo further testing. The sooner she gets back to the Netherlands and receives proper medical care, the better. As everybody else, I hope she makes a full and quick recovery.

maxima is a healthy, young woman and she will receive the best medical care. i am sure there is nothing to worry about. if her condition was really serious she wouldn't be allowed to travel or to attend the state banquet.

Oh I do hope Maxima will recover soon, it must have been so miserable and frustrating for her the last few days being ill and so far away from home. I'm glad the decision has been made.

I share those sentiments too,wishing the queen a safe journey hope and speedy recovery.

You know I am thinking about the girls. With Dad thousands miles away and mom so sick they must pretty shaken, especially the youngest. Of course they are well taken care of and comforted but it still must be hard.

Whilst they will probably be worried I'm sure they will be looked after well (as they would have been anyway whilst both parents were in China). I'm sure granny Beatrix will be on hand to help comfort them as well as friends and nannys.
I'm sure Maxima will make a good recovery soon and I hope she does so she can visit London for Remembrance Sunday.

Insufficient relief of symptoms? Oh dear. I'm afraid it is a long, miserable flight from Beijing to Amsterdam under those conditions. :ermm:

I am wishing Maxima the best and hoping for a speedy, not-so-painful recovery.

Do they not bring a doctor on these international trips?

Do they not bring a doctor on these international trips?

They used to do that in fact but they abolished it a few years ago because it wasn't needed anymore.

She has arrived at the hospital a few hours ago, so she'll receive the best medical care we have here and she hopefully recovers soon.

They used to do that in fact but they abolished it a few years ago because it wasn't needed anymore.

She has arrived at the hospital a few hours ago, so she'll receive the best medical care we have here and she hopefully recovers soon.

Maybe after this they will rethink that decision, especially when travelling so far from home.

Do you know when it was stopped, Emma? Perhaps when prince Claus no longer accompanied his wife abroad? Due to the costs I doubt they will reintroduce this though, as there must be more than enough capable doctors in the countries they visit. Considering the Dutch doctors usual advice is: go home, and come back if there is no improvement in 3 days' a foreign doctor may be preferable ;).

The king spoke to the Dutch press in China.

- His wife had a good flight, she is doing well and he spoke to her on the phone. When asked how he felt being on his own he quickly replied: 'Bad. Up to now we did all state visits together'. They thought it was just a fever and that it would go away quickly. He says he has a lot of respect for his wife for trying to participate.

- The king also said he was worried about the debate on refugees in The Netherlands. It has become very heated the last weeks and several times violence was used. The king said thatin The Netherlands we talk things thorugh, we don't fight them out.

Cookiewall: Cookies op de Volkskrant | de Volkskrant

- Another issue was the debate in parlement. A majority has accepted a motion that the king, queen, princess Beatrix and in the future princess Catharina Amalia will need to pay tax over their incomes. The king said that that was an issue of parlement, in which he does not want to mingle.

- Lastly, the king mentioned human rights again in a speech for the corporate world in China. According to the minister of Foreign Affairs no other Western European country has stressed the issue more than the Dutch government did in this visit, emphasizing a 'constructive dialogue' on the issue. Even the chairman of Amnesty International seemed happy. The chairman compared it to the recent visit to the UK by the Chinese president where the topic was not mentioned at all.

Last edited:
Do you know when it was stopped, Emma? Perhaps when prince Claus no longer accompanied his wife abroad? Due to the costs I doubt they will reintroduce this though, as there must be more than enough capable doctors in the countries they visit. Considering the Dutch doctors usual advice is: go home, and come back if there is no improvement in 3 days' a foreign doctor may be preferable ;).

The king spoke to the Dutch press in China.

- His wife had a good flight, she is doing well and he spoke to her on the phone. When asked how he felt being on his own he quickly replied: 'Bad. Up to now we did all state visits together'. They thought it was just a fever and that it would go away quickly. He says he has a lot of respect for his wife for trying to participate.

- The king also said he was worried about the debate on refugees in The Netherlands. It has become very heated the last weeks and several times violence was used. The king said thatin The Netherlands we talk things thorugh, we don't fight them out.

- Another issue was the debate in parlement. A majority has accepted a motion that the king, queen, princess Beatrix and in the future princess Catharina Amalia will need to pay tax over their incomes. The king said that that was an issue of parlement, in which he does not want to mingle.

- Lastly, the king mentioned human rights again in a speech for the corporate world in China. According to the minister of Foreign Affairs no other Western European country has stressed the issue more than the Dutch government did in this visit, emphasizing a 'constructive dialogue' on the issue. Even the chairman of Amnesty International seemed happy. The chairman compared it to the recent visit to the UK by the Chinese president where the topic was not mentioned at all.

Surely it can't cost that much to take one doctor with them as they already travel with a number of staff so one more can't make much a difference. Aren't they leading a 150 strong delegation on this trip?

I was very impressed to hear the King talking so openly about 'issues we disagree on...such as human rights' (paraphrasing) given the big fuss that was made about nobody on the Chinese state visit to the UK mentioning it. Clearly the Dutch have more backbone that us Brits on that one!

Dutch GP's are indeed usually very laid-back: "Take some rest Ma'am, if you feel not so well, maybe take a paracetamol, drink water and have a good sleep." In comparison with other EU-countries, the Dutch are amongst the lowest "consumers" of medication. France has the absolute highest "consumption" of medication. Often foreigners feel confused when they have seen a Dutch GP and the doctor only recommended to rest and "sit the illness out"... A Frenchman is confused when he has got the flu and is send away empty-handed... In France he would have a plastic bag full with ammunition to fight the flu!

:lol:

Get Well Soon Queen Maxima!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom