Dutch State Visit to South Korea: November 3-4, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucien

Majesty
City
Amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
:japanstandard::koreaflag::dutchstandard:

TM King Willem Alexander & Queen Máxima will pay State Visits to Japan and South-Korea in October and November 2014 respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Korea have Orders to give at all? I cannot recall any state visit in Korea when orders have been used. I remember the president of Korea having received the Order of Bath by the british Queen for her state visit, but the entire british royal family wore their own british orders.

Yes they do. The Swedish King and Queen were awarded orders during their state visit in 2012.

Thanks!
Is this supposed to be the state banquet? If so: how disappointing.

Last edited:
Welcom King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima!!!

I'm worried Maxima was fine. Because it is cold today in Seoul. I was surprised at her short sleeve. the daytime temperature was 5°~10° with windy.

It is very short Korean news video in English. :)
네이버 tvcast

Love the dress with the bow, and she is wearing a diamond ornament in her hair you can see in some pictures, looks like some bows to go with the bow! Terrific gold shoes. Like the green and gold combo, goes just fine with diamonds and platinum

Last edited:
It seems that it is the state banquet indeed. What an absolute bore. There have been economic missions that are more upgraded than this state visit. A pity that the hosts didn't organise a proper state banquet and we are stuck with this.

The queen doesn't change wardrobe halfway during the day, like queen Beatrix used to do. I am sure these state visits will be downgraded further in the future, as it is they are basically economic missions already.

The two small diamond bow brooches in the hair of the queen look odd with the dress and with the modern earrings. If the host is unwilling to organise a proper banquet I wonder why she decided to wear jewels at all.

Last edited:
I was rather surprised and was wondering if it was a State Visit and merely not just an official working visit.The State Banquet was so disappointing!

It seems that it is the state banquet indeed. What an absolute bore. There have been economic missions that are more upgraded than this state visit. A pity that the hosts didn't organise a proper state banquet and we are stuck with this.

The queen doesn't change wardrobe halfway during the day, like queen Beatrix used to do. I am sure these state visits will be downgraded further in the future, as it is they are basically economic missions already.

The two small diamond bow brooches in the hair of the queen look odd with the dress and with the modern earrings. If the host is unwilling to organise a proper banquet I wonder why she decided to wear jewels at all.

Actually, I suppose this is Korean-style for State Banquets. In Poland, which also is a republic, the dinner was black tie including tiaras. Queen Máxima adjusted herself to the President, which is completely fine IMO. She choose not to wear a tiara, but she had a few diamond broches in her hair: so no tiara, but still royal jewels. On the other hand I have to say that I love tiaras on her. I'm curious what she will wear tomorrow for the concert.

Indeed you are right, she did the right thing: adjusting herself to the South Korean protocol. But it is the SK protocol that I find the bore, not the queen.

Let's hope there will at least long dresses tomorrow, hopefully with some jewels. An old elaborate necklace would be nice too, she doesn't wear them too often while Q. Beatrix never used most necklaces (save the more modest ones like rivieres and once or twice the triangular motive necklace). I suppose queen Maxima thinks that an elaborate necklace and a tiara combined is too much. She only did this in a few cases (Lux. pre wedding and Martha Louise's wedding IIRC).

Last edited:
Yes they do. The Swedish King and Queen were awarded orders during their state visit in 2012.

Is that the (swedish-korean) banquet? If so, where are the orders?
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/q_Wv...+Korea+Day+1/lUoX8ECHKar/King+Carl+Gustaf+XVI

I must admit I LOVE the Queen´s outfit at the welcoming ceremony! It´s exquisit!

I was rather surprised and was wondering if it was a State Visit and merely not just an official working visit.The State Banquet was so disappointing!

Looks like a state banquet from a communist state...
Do you remember that infamous 1992-visit of Charles and Diana to south korea? The Princess in a long dress with a tiara (of course no orders, but still).

At the end of the visit, the king and queen spoke with the press, as they used to do when they were crown prince and princess.

He spoke about the use of state visits and about his admiration or South Korea. He says that the visits are important for the long-term contacts. Apparently the SK government was pleased with the visit. They already invited Q. Beatrix, who never came. He also discussed Dutch topics like the MH17 crash, the costs of the palaces and the Black Pete debate (he didn't voice an opinion about the latter, quite rightly so as it has become a wasp nest).

The queen became somewhat emotional when she discussed a mother who lost two children on the plane. The queen didn't want to comment much on Pss Masako as she considered this private. She did say however that it is always special to meet the CP'ly couple. The king said that he could describe the emperor as a sweet older uncle. The emperor referred during his speech to 1979, when the mepror visited Castle het oude Loo, when WA followed the emperor -who was driven in a carriage over the estate- on a pony.

He defended the Japanese court protocol. Many journalists complained about the strictness of it, butte king defended it as part of Japanese culture. As Hans Jacobs notes: of course he could not do much else, if he would agree with the press the head lines would be 'the king attacks Japanese court' , or something similar.

Sources: royalblog.nl and royalty-online.nl

Máxima is fantastic, she is really amazing....One of a kind !!!!

Back
Top Bottom