Dutch State Visit to Portugal: October 10-12, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will pay a
state visit to Portugal between October 10 and 12, 2017
at the invitation of Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa.

Press Release

I'm very happy.
I hope the Dukes of Bragança are also present at the visit.

I hope so too, though I do not think the Dutch RF is particulary close to him. He never attended any Dutch royal events though he was invited to the wedding of the Duke of Parma in Brussels. I do not believe he was invited to the state visit of Queen Beatrix to Portugal in 1990.

I can not find any mention of duke Duarte Nuno attending Queen Juliana's official visit to Portugal in 1955. It was the first visit of a reigning monarch to Portugal since 1904 when King Edward VII visited the country. The dinner in the presidential palace was not a great succes: the Dutch party was tired from travelling, prince Bernhard retired early to bed and prime minister Salazar looked gloomy.

Last edited:
I think the Dukes of Bragança will be invited to the gala dinner. They are always invited when members of the royalty visit Portugal. During the visits of the Kings of Espamha, Kings of Sweden, Kings of Norway, Charles and Camilla and the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg they were invited.

The State Banquet is organized by the hosts, in this case Portugal. So big chance indeed that the Duke and Duchess of Bragança, will attend. They seem to have a semi-official position in the state protocol.

The State Banquet is organized by the hosts, in this case Portugal. So big chance indeed that the Duke and Duchess of Bragança, will attend. They seem to have a semi-official position in the state protocol.

They do.But then still nothing goes by the automatic pilot.The guests can make their preferences known beforehand too in this case of whom they are interested to meet during any State Visit.

The program for the state visit

"During the state visit, which will be made at the invitation of S.E Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, Portugal’s President; Their Majesties will visit Lisbon, Alverca, Sintra and Cascais.
On 10th October, Their Majesties will start their visit with an official welcoming ceremony hosted by President Rebelo de Sousa at Mosteiro dos Jeronimos in Belem, Lisbon. They will then lay a wreath on the tomb of Luis de Camoes. Luis de Camoes is considered as Portugal’s greatest poet and a national hero. His poem Luisadas is the most important work about Portugal as it is a story about the origins of the country. Luis de Camoes also served in Portugal’s Army and fought in the colonies. Portugal’s National Day is on 10th June in honour of Luis de Camoes who died on 10th June 1580.
To conclude the morning, the King and Queen will visit the Jeronimos Monastery, meet with the President in Palacio Belem and meet the President of the Parliament, Eduardo Ferro Rodrigues.
They will have another official meeting in the afternoon as they will be received by the Mayor of Lisbon. After that, they’ll go to the neighbourhoods of Mouraria and Intendente by tram. During the economic crisis, these communities created initiatives aiming to help the entrepreneurial climate. King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will meet with the founders of these initiatives.
The day will end with the traditional State Banquet, in Palacio Belem, where both the President and the King will give a speech.
The second day of the visit will start in Lisbon, with a visit to the Champalimaud Center for the Unknown, which has laboratories for biomedical research and a clinic for treatment of cancer patients. This centre has different partnerships in The Netherlands; thus the Royal Couple is already familiar with its abilities and methods.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will then lead the Dutch delegation at Lisbon’s University where they will meet students and talk with them about the challenges faced by the European Union. During lunch, both delegations will meet, and the couple will attend the signing of several cooperation agreements.
In the afternoon, the couple will visit the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga (National Museum of Ancient Art) where they will officially open a temporary exhibition about Dutch art in which several pieces from the royal collection and a ‘rare landscape’ by Rembrandt (lent by Rikjsmuseum) can be seen. They will then meet with Portugal’s Prime Minister before hosting a reception in honour of President Rebelo de Sousa at the Teatro Nacional Dona Maria II during which Dutch-Friesian singer Nynke Laverman and fado singer Cristina Banco will perform.
For the last day, Their Majesties will leave Lisbon and head to Alverca. They will visit OGMA, Portugal’s Aeronautic Institute and talk with thee delegations and companies working there about possible Portuguese-Dutch cooperation.
They will then go to Sintra where they will Escola Nacional de Bombeiros, the national fire department institute, and Palacio de Vila, where Portuguese monarchs used to live.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will conclude their visit with a reception for Dutch community in Portugal in Cascais.
This will be the first state visit to Portugal by a Dutch monarch since 1990."

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actueel/nieuws/2017/09/21/staatsbezoek-aan-portugal---programma

Okay, still the messy dirty looking hair and mismatched clothes with a *Bug* for a necklace no less, and it is not a tiny bug either.....arrival to another country for a state visit and this is how a queen arrives....:bang::bang:

This is an unofficial arrival, she tends to dress casually for these. The official welcoming ceremony is tomorrow and Maxima usually goes all out for those.

Unofficial arrival. This isn't considered an event, and she isn't dressed as such. We often see royals dressed quite casually when they aren't officially greeted at the airport.

If we can count Max to be in top form with hat and jewels and such, it usually is on visits like this.

I understand that it is labeled an *informal* arrival yet there were many people greeting her and her husband. That in itself just could of been a bit better dressed then the way she was. Yes it was dark and probably late yet being a queen she has lots of help to put herself together in matched clothes and combed hair at least....being of the *old school* and taught about how appearances matter by my grandmother, I would never to this day to go out looking messy even to the grocery store or cleaners.?

Okay, still the messy dirty looking hair and mismatched clothes with a *Bug* for a necklace no less, and it is not a tiny bug either.....arrival to another country for a state visit and this is how a queen arrives....:bang::bang:

It was an UN-OFFICIAL arrival,one day ahead,so she could wear whatever she liked,and she did.C 'est tout.Today...and especially tonight,will be a totally different affair.My Queen is unique,there is none such.:flowers:

Dom Duarte was also at parliament. In the background you can see the king and queen on the great staircase of the Assembly. They were listening to Fado music:

The king told the Portuguese press, when he was interviewed before the visit, that the last time he visited Portugal was in 2004.

--
A report from the RTP: https://www.rtp.pt/noticias/pais/reis-da-holanda-em-portugal_v1032626

Two videos and a nice set of photos by Caras: http://caras.sapo.pt/realeza/Holand...dos-por-Marcelo-Rebelo-de-Sousa-nos-Jeronimos

Last edited:
Any pictures from the state dinner yet?

Portugal is one hour 'behind' our time, so the state banquet has probably not started yet.

Last edited:
According to the website of the Portuguese president the state dinner should start at 20:00. Which would be now.

AGENDA - PRESIDENCIA.PT

BTW: it has been confirmed that the duke and duchess of Braganca have also been invited by the Dutch court to the concert tomorrow evening.

http://www.royalty-online.nl/monarc...-hertog?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

*Edit*

First photo; the emeralds and a gorgeous green dress of Jan Taminiau for Queen Maxima:

I believe we have seen the dress during the interview for the 50th birthday of the king. He showed a photograph of the family and added that it was taken during a wedding in London.

Let's hope the Duchess of Braganca will wear a tiara too.

Both the king and queen seem to be wearing the order do Infante Dom Henrique.

Last edited:
Did the Duke and Duchess of Braganza attend tonight?

A Collar of an Order is to be worn around the neck at not on the Shoulders with the Sash. Queen Sofia of Spain wore often both but on the right way.

A Collar of an Order is to be worn around the neck at not on the Shoulders with the Sash. Queen Sofia of Spain wore often both but on the right way.
I don't believe there are any such hard abd fast rules. Queen Silvia has worn collars not unlike Maxima in the past.

I don't believe there are any such hard abd fast rules. Queen Silvia has worn collars not unlike Maxima in the past.
Doesn't it have to do with sashes and collars not touching the skin of the wearer?

Doesn't it have to do with sashes and collars not touching the skin of the wearer?

exactly. I can't think of a lady who has worn the collar on her bare skin. It's likely uncomfortable and not good looking.

I would have liked it if she had tucked her sash in and pulled up the one side of the collar, but I'm nitpicking.

Back
Top Bottom