Dutch State Visit to Ireland: June 12-14, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King Wilhelm-Alexander and Queen Maxima to Visit Ireland: 12-14th June 2019.

“King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima are to pay a state visit to Ireland at the invitation of President Michael D. Higgins. The visit will take place from 12 to 14 June.”

How very nice. An obvious choice at the moment of course.

Last edited:
Do we know the Ireland government hosting a state banquet during state visit? Q.Elizabeth wore a Tiara but she usually wears a Tiara even at black events.

How so? (Asked genuinely, not sarcastically.) Because of Brexit?

I guess its plays a part as the visit will be to encourage trade and at the moment, Ireland exports and imports a lot from UK. Obviously, if there is a no deal, it changes things and it would be probably easier to deal with Fellow EU states so the Netherlands will pick up the slack.

An early summer visit ,I can't reacll if Beatrix ever paid a State Visit to Ireland ?

:previous:

Yes she did, in 1990 as the first Dutch monarch ever to do so.

Lyonnaise said:

Indeed. It has caused a realignment of Dutch policies in Europe. In the past we & the other Northern countires of the EU could let the UK take the lead in issues like a prudent fiscal policy, free trade etc. With the UK gone there is a vaccuum which these countries tried to fill with more intensive cooperation on financial matters. They created the so-called 'Bad weather' coalition / New Hanseatic League. Last year we already saw three visit to the Baltic states. A visit to Sweden or Finland would not be surprising either.

Last edited:

Ah yes with the late President Hillery and Mrs. Hillery and Queen Beatrix wore a tiara as did Princess Grace and Queen Sonja of Norway.

Thank goodness the visit is on June 12th and not July 12th!

Indeed. It has caused a realignment of Dutch policies in Europe. In the past we & the other Northern countires of the EU could let the UK take the lead in issues like a prudent fiscal policy, free trade etc. With the UK gone

Some of us are still holding out hope that we’re not gone, even if we probably have destroyed all relationships with EU countries and beyond

Besides Ireland, the Netherlands will be hardest hit by Brexit. The Irish because of their geographical position and shared border, the Dutch because of the volume of Anglo-Dutch trade. No wonder that the King visited the UK and now visits Ireland. The two countries fully align with the EU27 but are at the same time the two most interested in achieving an orderly Brexit without too much unrest.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to this State Visit - Ireland and the Netherlands, a great combination!

awesome - another visit to look forward to this year.

So, there is hope for a black tie state dinner and Maxima wears tiaras to those.
Either way, I think the emerald parure (or parts of it) is a safe bet for this visit:D.

Last edited:
This is unexpected joyful news thrown into an uneasy week for Ireland’s Brexit prospects. The uncertain June weather for the visit won’t matter with Maxima’s sunny presence!

So, there is hope for a black tie state dinner and Maxima wears tiaras to those.
Either way, I think the emerald parure (or parts of it) is a safe bet for this visit:D.

Emeralds in the Emerald Isle ;)

All State Visits Gala Banquets are hosted at Dublin Castle right in the city centre

St Patrick's Hall,Dublin Castle

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...NQJOjdbvM:&vet=1&w=1365&h=2048&source=sh/x/im

Reception Rooms

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...rvNHhKt7bEM:&vet=1&w=607&h=338&source=sh/x/im

Farmleigh is the official Irish State guest residence and was once the home of the Earl of Iveagh.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...T5EayyeDOM:&vet=1&w=1100&h=465&source=sh/x/im

Last edited:
Other than the British RF and the Monegasque Princely Family would be the 2 most widely known royal houses in Ireland the Dutch Royal Family with the exception of former queen Beatrix would be largely unknown.

Interesting and refreshing news to hear indeed! I'll be looking forward into seeing the coverage of WA and Maxima's visit. I didn't realise that so few royals had been to Ireland on state visits.

President Higgins is going to look tiny in the photos next to the Royal couple! Hopefully Max might pull a nice green outfit out of the wardrobe for the occasion.

Interesting and refreshing news to hear indeed! I'll be looking forward into seeing the coverage of WA and Maxima's visit. I didn't realise that so few royals had been to Ireland on state visits.

Over the last few years /decades

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 2011
Prince Albert II of Monaco 2011
King and Queen of Norway 2006
King Albert II and Queen Paola of Belgium 2007
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and the Prince Consort 1990
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain 1986
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Prince Henrik 1978
King Baudouin of Belgium and Queen Fabiola 1968
Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace 1961

Not sure if there was ever a Grand-Ducal visit from Luxembourg!

The Palace remember an older, very older visit of the King Willem Alexander to Ireland!

"The three-day state visit to Ireland will start next Wednesday. More than forty years ago King Willem-Alexander visited Ireland once. In 1978 he was with his parents, Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus, brothers and cousin Carlos (son of Princess Irene) on vacation in the Irish village of Sneem"

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByXPVPJiyV7/

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Black-tie or not, do we think Max will get a tiara on tonight?

Black-tie or not, do we think Max will get a tiara on tonight?

Probalby it will not even be black tie but business suits for the mean and short gowns for the woman like at the recent SV from Sweden. So not much hope to see a tiara in Dublin this evening.

Probalby it will not even be black tie but business suits for the mean and short gowns for the woman like at the recent SV from Sweden. So not much hope to see a tiara in Dublin this evening.

Fear not, the Max is not defeated so easily. Expect a brooch in the hair then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom