The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 03-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,688
I don't understand why the French made a dressing code exception for the British monarch and not for King of the Netherlands or the King of Sweden. There is no reason to give special treatment to one monarch over another.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-11-2016, 02:36 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 4,457
Queens Juliana and Beatrix did they also prononce prononce a toast in French during their State Visits?
Was it expected that the King would do it in French ? He did well.

Duc do you speak french as well as your King ? or even better ??
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't understand why the French made a dressing code exception for the British monarch and not for King of the Netherlands or the King of Sweden. There is no reason to give special treatment to one monarch over another.
It was her 5th, and probably last, visit to France. Plus it was during the 70th anniversary of the DDAY landings, where she was guest of honor.
A visit of QEII is always an exception, not only in France : in 2007 she was entertained at the White House with a white tie banquet, the only one in the entire Bush administration.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Queens Juliana and Beatrix did they also prononce prononce a toast in French during their State Visits?
Was it expected that the King would do it in French ? He did well.

Duc do you speak french as well as your King ? or even better ??
Yes, Queen Beatrix often spoke in French in France as well as in other countries like Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
It was her 5th, and probably last, visit to France. Plus it was during the 70th anniversary of the DDAY landings, where she was guest of honor.
A visit of QEII is always an exception, not only in France : in 2007 she was entertained at the White House with a white tie banquet, the only one in the entire Bush administration.
I guess I could take the D-Day and Queen Elizabeth's seniority excuses, but your example of the white-tie White House banquet seems to confirm that Queen Elizabeth II outranks her fellow Heads of State or, at least, is treated that way.

From a certain point of view, I understand that, as the HoS of 16 different countries and the Head of the Commonwealth, Queen Elizabeth II does enjoy a special status. However, she is no longer the head of a worldwide empire as the British Empire used to be in the early 20th century. The exceptional deferrence accorded to the British monarch seems to be an outdated relic of a past that is long gone now. I wonder if it will apply to Charles too when he is King (probably not, I guess).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,476
As usually, President Hollande looked budget in crumpled trousers and a poorly-fitted jacket. Was it difficult to look the part?
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: ...., Netherlands
Posts: 248
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdSoSx6UYAAhKg9.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/JeroenSnel/statu...74851258556416 (nice arrival video)

So this is how we do it: the return concert in black tie! I see some nice diamond earrings and a necklace! Hope Hollande learns something from this, with his stupid state banquets in business suits.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdSoSx6UYAAhKg9.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/JeroenSnel/statu...74851258556416 (nice arrival video)

So this is how we do it: the return concert in black tie! I see some nice diamond earrings and a necklace! Hope Hollande learns something from this, with his stupid state banquets in business suits.
No, he will not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdSoSx6UYAAhKg9.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/JeroenSnel/statu...74851258556416 (nice arrival video)

So this is how we do it: the return concert in black tie! I see some nice diamond earrings and a necklace! Hope Hollande learns something from this, with his stupid state banquets in business suits.
Thanks for the links!
Queen Maxima looked ravishing.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: ...., Netherlands
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
No, he will not.
I know, just joking

First better pictures from ANP: https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1926594

I really think I like the dress. It really looks cool. And the Queen is so slim!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
No, he will not.
As we see from the pictures he doesn't even follow the dresscode for the Return Event. Really a shame.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
I know, just joking

First better pictures from ANP: https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1926594

I really think I like the dress. It really looks cool. And the Queen is so slim!
So let's be clear : it was a black tie event and the President of the French Republic just showed up with a business suit (and apparently the same from last night).
Ok i'm done with him, i mean really.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdSoSx6UYAAhKg9.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/JeroenSnel/statu...74851258556416 (nice arrival video)

So this is how we do it: the return concert in black tie! I see some nice diamond earrings and a necklace! Hope Hollande learns something from this, with his stupid state banquets in business suits.
Splendid how the Dutch King brought dozens of footmen with torches with him! Thát is decorum.

It is rare that the dresscode for the contra-prestation is higher than the dresscode of the evening before! It is beyond belief that the Président de la République appears in that awful wrinkled polyester sweaty suit. The Dutch guests did their best to wow Paris but in turn the French President.... Good heavens!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: ...., Netherlands
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
So let's be clear : it was a black tie event and the President of the French Republic just showed up with a business suit (and apparently the same from last night).
Ok i'm done with him, i mean really.
Yeah, me too. Worst thing of all: he showed up, ten minutes late, went in and left ten minutes later, before the concert had even started. I really can't believe this. It's really stupid and arrogant.

I mean: what does this man think?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
Yeah, me too. Worst thing of all: he showed up, ten minutes late, went in and left ten minutes later, before the concert had even started. I really can't believe this. It's really stupid and arrogant.

I mean: what does this man think?
Wait WHAT ?????
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
Just saw M le Président.... It is beyond belief that the Président de la république française appears in an awful wrinkled polyester sweaty suit. In the city of Hermès, of Gaultier, of Lanvin, of Gustavolins...

The Dutch guests did their best to wow Paris but in turn the French President.... My annual corporate dinner has a better dresscode than the Palais de l'Élysée last evening!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,923
You know what ? Im must apologize to some. I was ready to defend my country, ready to avoid to blame systematically my current head of state for the lack of panache during state visits, ready to explain the somewhat casual dress code during state dinners.
But tonight, TONIGHT, when the President of the French Republic came to an event where apparently the hosts made such efforts and showed in the wrong attire and just left 10 mins later ! Well i'm desperate to say that tonight i'm totally ashamed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 6,809
The return dinner
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdS1FJoW8AU4ykX.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdS0mpgXIAImyIn.jpg
http://www.refdag.nl/polopoly_fs/hol...1621213538.jpg
http://www.refdag.nl/polopoly_fs/052...4184317186.jpg
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
You know what ? Im must apologize to some. I was ready to defend my country, ready to avoid to blame systematically my current head of state for the lack of panache during state visits, ready to explain the somewhat casual dress code during state dinners.
But tonight, TONIGHT, when the President of the French Republic came to an event where apparently the hosts made such efforts and showed in the wrong attire and just left 10 mins later ! Well i'm desperate to say that tonight i'm totally ashamed.
I know M Hollande is a socialist but hey... there are tens of thousands people earning their bread in couture. Is thát not socialist too???? Why taking pride in driving a nice Renault, Citroën or Peugeot limousine, why flying in a plane or helicopter from Airbus but not showing equal pride in French products like a well-tailored cravate-noire suit from Maison Arnys, Rue de Sèvres, Paris?????

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:49 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 18,525
Belga

Belga Image - Editorial
__________________
20th of December,1963-Birth of HRH The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
On the Glittering Royal Events Message Board some Dutch posters nagged that King Willem-Alexander presented himself as the CEO of The Netherlands Inc. instead of being His Majesty The King. But this evening, being in charge himself, you can see that he has eye for decorum and style, see the footmen, the flower decorations, the choice of the Petit Palais as venue. It is not his fault that the diner at the Palais de l'Élysée was so low key. I am sure Máxima had dazzled with her best jewels when M Hollande had said "It will be cravate-blanche".
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dutch state visit, dutch state visit to france, state visit to france


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spanish State Visit to France: March 24-26, 2015 {Cancelled} June 2 - 4, 2015 Duke of Marmalade King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family 130 06-05-2015 02:06 AM
Dutch State Visit to Turkey: February 27-March 2, 2007 Princess Robijn Dutch Royals 147 01-25-2010 06:06 AM
State Visit from the President of France: March 26-27, 2008 Nico British Royals 358 01-07-2010 05:07 PM
Dutch State Visit to Argentina: March 30-April 1, 2006 purple_platinum Dutch Royals 381 01-21-2007 03:53 PM
Spanish State Visit to France: March 27-29, 2006 fanletizia King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 128 04-17-2006 07:07 PM




Popular Tags
austria birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge eveningwear duchess of cambridge gala dress earl of snowdon french general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta margarita infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín juan urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy morgan news nobel 2017 pregnancy prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar prince sebastian princess alexandra of luxembourg princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary casual style princess of asturias princess sofia princess sofia's daytime fashion princess sofia eveningwear princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathildes hats queen maxima queen silvia rohan family state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge fashion vatican victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises