Dutch State Visit to Canada and Official Visit to the USA: May 27-29 & June 1-3, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason they choose Newfoundland is a very practical one: the Government Plane (a rather small one) can't reach Ottawa in one go from Amsterdam. They had to refuel in Iceland and even Iceland-Ottawa is too far for the plane. If they want to fly from Amsterdam to Ottawa, they need to refuel at least two times. They made the choice to stay in St. Johns overnight and fly to Ottawa the next morning.

Some first Twitter pics from Frank Kuin and Jeroen Snel from the arrival in Ottawa. Queen Máxima is wearing a new outfit with a repeated hat. Waiting for better pictures!

https://twitter.com/frankkuin/status/603583251513536512/photo/1
https://twitter.com/frankkuin/status/603577564825788417/photo/1
https://twitter.com/JeroenSnel/status/603578804641112064/photo/1

Thanks EmmaNL for the explanation. That makes sense. Since flight first began, Newfoundland has often been used as a stopover for those flying from Europe to N. America.

I managed to sneak out of work for a short while to see the W-A and M at the National War Memorial.

I arrived there about 20 mins. before the service was set to begin. Happily for the couple (but not so nice for me) there were already quite a few royal watchers lined up, hoping to get a good view. So I was about 4 rows back. I didn't really get any good pictures. I was far away and they moved fairly quickly. Added to that Maxima had a large hat and she was often looking downward. It was a memorial ceremony so it is understandable that they didn't interact with the crowd much. As they were leaving the memorial site, someone shouted out "Maxima" and she turned around and gave one of her lovely huge smiles. So that was nice.

After the ceremony, my friends and I chanced upon the couple walking down the street. For us, that was the coolest part of the event. We had figured that they had just gotten back into their official car. But instead they walked on to the National Arts Centre just across the way. It was fun, as a fairly small group of us just joined in and walked with them. We were fairly close, but even though security wasn't too tight, people seemed to keep a respectful distance.

As I said, I didn't really get any good photos, but for anyone interested, here are some of my photos.

Attachments

• 2015 05 27 b.jpg
    2015 05 27 b.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 2015 05 27 a.jpg
    2015 05 27 a.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 2015 05 27.JPG
    2015 05 27.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 2015 05 27 d.jpg
    2015 05 27 d.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 2015 05 27 e.jpg
    2015 05 27 e.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:thank you for sharing your experience and photos

Last edited:
It is not a State Visit, it is a short official visit with an economic and trade delegation in the royal slipstream. So no protocollary tralala and no state banquets.

:flowers:

I'm confused after the pics in recent posts...was there or wasn't there a state banquet?

:previous:

That comment was in relation to the visit to the US which takes place after the visit to Canada - which is most definitely a state visit.

great pictures, the visit is likely to be quite fun to watch seeing the ties of the DRF to canada. can't wait for more...

I'm going to be in Toronto tomorrow, does anyone know the actual timetable for their visit there , I might try to go see them if I know the where and when . Thanks for your help.

Queen Maxima shone spectacularly at yesterday's banquet! So she chose rubies to go with the Canadian colours, which was very appropriate. I'm quite looking forward to today's pictures.

I'm going to be in Toronto tomorrow, does anyone know the actual timetable for their visit there , I might try to go see them if I know the where and when . Thanks for your help.

Here's the schedule from the Canadian embassy. My mom emailed it to me (my parents were born in the Netherlands): Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima State visit to Canada | The Embassy and Consulates | Kingdom of the Netherlands, Canada

I too am in Toronto and thinking of going to see them tomorrow! I just don't know if the public will be able to see them...Does anyone have a suggestion of where it would be best to see Willem-Alexander and Maxima in Toronto?

may286 if we decide to go how do we know the times they will be there?

The second day of the state visit to Canada takes place mainly outside the capital off. The King and Queen began the day in Waterloo, where several cooperation agreements were signed between universities in Canada and Netherlands.

State Visit to Canada - II

Marlene, it's frustrating for us Royal Watchers to try to get specific information (i.e. exact times) about this visit! I ended up contacting the Dutch Embassy and asking them. They amazingly replied within minutes with the information. Not sure why they can't post it on their website though. I guess for security reasons? Seems kind of silly. Anyways, the Embassy contact info. is here. As you can see, there is actually a Consulate General Office in Toronto.

An article from the Daily Mail on last night's state dinner.

Last edited by a moderator:

I found this at https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/globale-paginas/taalrubrieken/english/news/:

"In the afternoon the King will hold a speech at a Canadian-Dutch seminar on resilient cities. At the seminar, Dutch businesses and public authorities will speak to their Canadian counterparts about the challenges and solutions connected with urbanisation and the economic development of waterside cities. Climate change makes it necessary to reflect on these issues. The next part of the programme will take place on the Toronto Islands - a chain of recreational islands off the Toronto coast - where the King and Queen will unveil one of the seven Tulpi seats that will be presented to the city of Toronto. The seats have been placed looking out over the city's waterfront and skyline. The state visit to Canada will conclude with a reception for the Dutch community at the Art Gallery of Ontario."

It seems the best place to see them would be in the afternoon, at Toronto Islands or the Art Gallery of Ontario. They don't give the exact times unfortunately. I think the best thing to do is to pick one spot around noon and hope that you get a good view of them.

I hope one of us sees them! :sad:

Edited to add: Thanks Squidgy - I will contact them too. :)

Maxima looked amazing last night at the State Banquet. Every inch a Queen.

Good Luck to our Toronto Members trying to see them tomorrow!! I'm thinking the AGO might be your best bet from the sound of things.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't know which is the best place to see them. But I think the "funnest" place to see them would be Toronto Island. I love going there - a wonderful place to be on a hot summer's day. And it will be a Friday engagement, so hopefully the Island won't be as crowded as it would be if it were the weekend.

Regardless of the location, I hope you both get a chance to see the couple, Rmay 286 and Marlene. And please report back to us if you do!:)

I guess that Queen Beatrix' hairspray has stood the test of time ;). But Maxima's hairstyle of yesterday's gala won't. In the PPE pics you can see that she wore three ears-of-wheat brooches on the flat side of her hair, which is a nice try. But it didn't save the hair, imo. Great dress and jewels though, and once more red for Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom