Dutch State Visit to Australia and New Zealand: October 31-November 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No state dinner in Australia it seems; on November 2nd they will receive a state lunch from the Australian government. I do not know the reason why, let's hope it is practicalities and not a lack of courtesy. It is highly unusual, even China hosted a dinner for the king.

Probably due to practicalities, but I don't know. Isn't a state banquet the normal thing also in Australia, at least I remember that the Swedish Royal Couple were given a black tie (with tiaras) state dinner in 2005.

No state dinner in Australia it seems; on November 2nd they will receive a state lunch from the Australian government. I do not know the reason why, let's hope it is practicalities and not a lack of courtesy. It is highly unusual, even China hosted a dinner for the king.

Yes, it is very unusual not to have a state dinner during a state visit, It makes it look like an official visit rather than a state visit. I wonder if the Australians would show greater courtesy if there were a monarchist prime minister in office rather than Mr. Turnbull.

Nice programs. It will be two great state visits.

It is significant that the King and Queen are visiting "on the invitation of the Governor General", which emphasizes the modern constitutional position of the GG as a de facto acting Head of State and not merely a representative of the British monarch,

BTW, I didn't know that New Zealand had a new GG. When did she take office ?

Last edited by a moderator:
i am very excited about the visit to NZ and OZ. it reminds me a bit of the one william and kate did some years back, where they visited both countries.

now, i know that WA and maxima are not as known in those countries as previous royal visitors such as william and kate, but i hope it drags the crowds that we saw in the past visits. :flowers:

kate braving the crowds in brisbane
the queen in auckland

Last edited:
I quite enjoyed the royal visit back in 2006, so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Last edited:
Every hiccup in Australia has been discussed between diplomatic workgroups of the two countries, so we may assume the program was approved by the King: a state lunch.

It is not very new. When the Sultan of Brunei visited Queen Beatrix, a state lunch was offered in the Gallery Chamber of Noordeinde Palace. When the King and Queen of Sweden visited the King, a grand banquet was given in the Royal Palace Amsterdam. Two official visits, two different protocollary events... So it seems to depend on the outcome of wishes and possibilities indeed.

:previous: nice and informative interview. thank you :flowers:

The Sydney Opera House is going to be lit up orange on the night of the concert that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima are hosting as a thankyou.

Last edited:
They're coming to my work but I was employed after they did security clearances so I can't meet them :( Peter Jackson is going to be there too

very exciting to see them in oz and nz finally.

Bit disappointed day 2 of state visit to Australian and I love seeing what Maxima wears but 2 repeat dresses
hope she saving something new for Canberra

Bit disappointed day 2 of state visit to Australian and I love seeing what Maxima wears but 2 repeat dresses
hope she saving something new for Canberra

We, close followers, know what Queen Máxima has worn before. The Aussies and Kiwis probably have no idea at all, or have even never heard about her. For them it will be a sparkling new outfit...

i have always loved this dress on maxima, so i am glad she repeated it. it fits her like a globe and she looks fab.

I thought Queen Maxima looked smart. I liked her dress and hat very much. New to me, even if it is a repeat. Glad to see the couple got a chance to enjoy the Melbourne Cup ('the race that stops a nation') in comfort, though it's a pity they couldn't experience it in person. It's a whole experience, from the fashions on the field to the crowd, horses and the 154 year old race itself. Still, Perth is a beautiful city, and good to see the rain held off there at least! There are lots of Dutch families who emigrated here so I'm sure the King and Queen will continue to enjoy a great welcome.

Go, Maxie!! Love her!

I agee susiewong, I expected something new for the state visit too. Considering there won't even be a state dinner I am sure you are not the only royalty watcher that is somewhat disappointed.

Anyway, considering the recent upheaval about the costs of the monarchy, the recycling may be handy.

I don't see the need to buy new clothes for a tour. She looks chic, professional and happy. She had brought out a necklace we haven't seen on her, and even if no evening event, we may see a new piece or two. No need to spend money on new dresses, especially if they end up resembling things you already own.

I agee susiewong, I expected something new for the state visit too. Considering there won't even be a state dinner I am sure you are not the only royalty watcher that is somewhat disappointed.

Anyway, considering the recent upheaval about the costs of the monarchy, the recycling may be handy.

I am sure by far the overwhelming majority in the Netherlands, the ladies and gentlemen parliamentarians and press included, will have no any idea if Queen Máxima wore something new or not.

Note that she could buy Natan's shop at the Avenue Louise in Brussels completely empty for the costs of flying the Fokker 70 airplane to Australia and back, without passengers... So that is no argument for not buying a new frock.

:whistling:

Having said that, the Matthijs van Bergen beige-turquoise dress as well the Natan light-blue dress are both very beautiful and indeed worth to be worn again.

Last edited:
The Highlight is the King not the Queen Consort. Queen Maxima did well.

What a terrible choice of sunglasses for Maxima! They must be the most inelegant style on the market (well maybe matched by the ones people wear on New Year's Eve). So jarring with the hat and the dress.

i am always interested to hear about these outings - and it is kind of impressive the royals find time for shopping in the middle of a state visit!

i guess we will see maxima wearing zimmermann soon in the future hopefully. although i guess, by the looks of the type of clothes the brand makes, that these clothes are intended for holiday use mainly...

sweet that the king went with her and advised on the clothing. it is complicated enough to drag a man shopping, let alone in the middle of a busy schedule. maxima has done well there! :whistling:

according to the article maxima bought:

a printed silk-georgette jumpsuit,
an organza silk blouse
three pieces in the same mustard floral print - Italian lycra swimwear (perhaps the 'Confetti Floral-Print One-Piece Swimsuit'), a cotton sarong and a printed silk-georgette resort dress with lace trimming (perhaps the 'ZIMMERMANN Confetti Scallop floral-print cotton dress').

So they were at the War Memorial. Very impressive, Poppy Day is approaching.

As far as the purchased beach and resort wear is concerned, perhaps they are going to stop off at a resort somewhere for a couple of days after the tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom