Dutch State Visit to Australia and New Zealand: October 31-November 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucien

Majesty
City
Amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
TM King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will pay a State Visit to Australia from October 31st till november 4th and a few days later will start their State Visit to New Zealand from November 7th till November 9th.

TM King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will pay a State Visit to Australia from October 31st till november 4th and a few days later will start their State Visit to New Zealand from November 7th till November 9th.

Thank you lucien for letting us know.

I wonder if they will go to Tasmania.

Tassie is named after a Dutchman - Abel Tasman, and it's previous name was also Dutch - Van Dieman's Land.

People may not realise, but there are a lot of Dutch decended people in Tasmania - I grew up there and we had many Dutch school-mates.

In fact the parents of one person I know were guests at a dinner when the Dutch Royals visited Tassie a few years back.

Last edited:
Didn't WA & M come to NZ as CP and CPss? I remember seeing pictures of them in an exhibition of feather cloaks at Te Papa(the main museum of NZ. The feather cloaks are a Maori thing - members of the BRF wear them when they are formally greeted in NZ) from said visit?

Also the first European to discover NZ was Abel Tasman, and NZ has a large Dutch community, so this sounds interesting.

Last edited:
The first known European to arrive in Australia was indeed a Dutchman but no Abel Tasman. The first was Dirk Hartog a generation before - Hartog was on the WA coast in 1616 while Tasman didn't reach Australia until 1642.

I wonder how it can be a State Visit when State Visits are between Heads of State and our Head of State lives in England.

Of course there will probably be no coverage down here - only get coverage of the British royals or Mary and Fred and nothing of any others.

The GG acts on behalf of the Queen - it means that for all practical purposes the GG is President in all but name. Since the crown of the U.K. and the crowns of Aus and NZ are separate entities this explains how the same person can hold them but separate functions can be delegated for practical reasons.

And it's likely that there won't be any coverage in NZ either -:glare:

Last edited:
The GG is only the representative of HM (that is what is says in my passport). The Queen is the Head of State and thus as state visits occur between Heads of State - not their representatives this so-called 'State Visit' isn't as they aren't visiting our Heads of State but her representatives out here.

This is the sort of thing the republicans should grab as a very good reason for us to become a republic - so we can have a real Head of State to represent us to other Heads of State instead of a pretend one.

The GG is only the representative of HM (that is what is says in my passport). The Queen is the Head of State and thus as state visits occur between Heads of State - not their representatives this so-called 'State Visit' isn't as they aren't visiting our Heads of State but her representatives out here.

This is the sort of thing the republicans should grab as a very good reason for us to become a republic - so we can have a real Head of State to represent us to other Heads of State instead of a pretend one.

It IS a State Visit if the GG invites,no matter if aunty in London is the Queen or not,the GG acts in Her name,on Her behalve as it were...see...That is according to protocol.:)

we don't do republics,even though we were the first and only one once while surrounded by monarchies...oh well..

I recall the State Visit by Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus to Oz,and indeed...the coverage was next to none at all at the time...Oh,wish for the better..

What do you mean with: we don't do republics?
France is a republic.

Well, I'm not Dutch, but I hope they visit Victoria. I should love to see them. Queen Maxima is one of my favourite royals. Very dynamic!

I wonder when the announced incoming State Visit from Belgium will take place?

This will be the fourth and fifth State Visit to a monarchy:
2014 Poland (republic)
2014 Japan (monarchy)
2014 South Korea (republic)
2015 Denmark (monarchy)
2015 Canada (monarchy)
2015 China (republic)
2016 France (republic)
2016 Australia (monarchy)
2016 New Zealand (monarchy)

For so far the King received two presidents for an incoming State Visit:
2015 China (republic)
2015 France (republic)

The agenda is a bit strange. Usually there are two incoming and two outgoing state visit. The one year maybe more and the other year less. But in 2013, 2014 and 2016 there was no any incoming State Visit... It seems that the "rule" of two in and two out has been left.

I recall the State Visit by Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus to Oz,and indeed...the coverage was next to none at all at the time...Oh,wish for the better..

Well lucien this tour may get better coverage. They're off to a good start anyway.

I'm guessing the Tour was only just announced in the Netherlands.

Today, my Sydney newspaper has a nice photo of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima, with the heading "DUTCH ROYALS ON WAY".

The report says they are making this, their first official visit to Australia, to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the landing, in what is now the state of Western Australia, by the Dutch explorer Dirk Hartog.

I think we can assume they will be in WA at least - perhaps the unveiling of a memorial marking the occasion.

We're also being told that the King and Queen will be accompanied by two senior Dutch government ministers and a trade mission.

I've also seen our most serious newspaper, the nation-wide "The Australian", has covered this as well lucien.

In fact, they are reporting that the visit was announced by our Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull.

They've mentioned your Dutch minister - who is part of the official party coming - Bert Koenders, is well known to our own Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop, as they have been working together on the missing Malaysian flight these past years.

I can see the King and Queen calling into our Capital, Canberra, as well.

The Consular website has another photo of the Royal couple, and details of which Dutch ministers will be in the Royal party.

Last edited:
Will Princess Catharina-Amalia and her sisters visit Australia and New Zealand?

Hopefully but I think they might still be in school during November

Some more news articles
http://http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1608/S00112/dutch-king-and-queen-to-visit-nz-in-november.htm

This is an article on NZ Dutch relations from MFAT NZs website - it hasn't been updated yet but has good information

http://https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-and-regions/europe/netherlands/

Last edited:

I could imagine they won't as it's only a few days and very much a businesstrip, so i don't think the daughters are taken to those yet

I could imagine they won't as it's only a few days and very much a businesstrip, so i don't think the daughters are taken to those yet

Plus they have to be at school,like every other child!

This is nice.

There are going to be several Receptions held when King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima visit Australia.

31st Oct-Perth, 3rd Nov-Sydney, 4th Nov-Brisbane.

And these Receptions are for the Dutch community living here in Oz.

So if that's you - time to register so you can attend!

I believe that at the time an Australian paper wrote that prince Claus was as grey as his socks. Which led the prince to stress in a press conference in Autralia that he had never worn grey socks in his life.

In 1988 the Dutch-Australian Weekly was aroun but that became a monthly magazine in 2004.

In 1988 I went to Melbourne Airport for the arrival of Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus. It was fairly late on a Saturday night. There were about 100 people, and I learnt to sing Oranja Boven. The Queen and Prince Claus came over and I shook hands with both, and said welcome to Melbourne. The next day my aunty rang my mum and said she saw me on the news "shaking hands with some queen." A few days later they went to Flemington for the Melbourne Cup, and Queen Beatrix presented the cup to the winner (a task traditionally carried out by the Governor-General). Unfortunately I won't be here for this latest Dutch State Visit; I'm off to North Korea.

It is a State Visit because that is the level of diplomatic hospitality being accorded to the King and Queen of the Netherlands. The Governor-General is much more than "just" the Queen's representative. The Governor-General, in his own right, is an essential element of the Australian Crown. Even if the Queen moved permanently to Canberra, we would still need a Governor-General to keep the wheels of government turning. At the request of his government, the Governor-General has just finished paying State Visits to several South American countries. So it is entirely appropriate for him to also host State Visits to Australia.

Wrong. The constitution of NZ says that the GG may exercise all powers and prerogatives that HM has with respect to NZ. That obviously includes hosting visiting Heads of State.

In Australia, I guess the constitutional language is even stronger as it says that the Queen"s powers are not just "exercisable", but actually "exercised" in Australia by the GG. In other words, there is a debate whether the Queen could even personally exercise the royal prerogatives in Australia, or if she must do it exclusively through the GG.

Last edited:
Wrong. The constitution of NZ says that the GG may exercise all powers and prerogatives that HM has with respect to NZ. That obviously includes hosting visiting Heads of State.

In Australia, I guess the constitutional language is even stronger as it says that the Queen"s powers are not just "exercisable", but actually "exercised" in Australia by the GG. In other words, there is a debate whether the Queen could even personally exercise the royal prerogatives in Australia, or if she must do it exclusively through the GG.

True to the core,every syllable.As should be known to Aussies,but then it's not...haha:ROFLMAO::whistling:

Anyway,this is a full blown State Visit regardless,and TM will blow Oz away!:flowers:

Very true Mbruno. The Constitution trumps the front page of a passport, and Section 61 states that executive power is vested in the Queen and is exercisable by the Governor-General. Other sections of the Constitution give powers directly to the Governor-General, not to the Queen. Even if the Queen was in Australia she could not commission a government, appoint Ministers of State, summon parliament, dissolve parliament, issue writs for elections or appoint High Court Judges. The Royal Powers Act 1954 does not apply to the Governor-General's constitutional powers, so without a Governor-General or an Administrator of the Commonwealth, the government would eventually grind to a halt.

Some monarchists argue that the Governor-General is therefore the Head of State of the Commonwealth of Australia. That just splits monarchists into those who promote the importance of the Governor-General at the expense of the Queen, and vice-versa. But we do not have a legally or constitutionally defined Head of State, so it's an argument doomed to chase its own tail. Depending on the context, the Queen or the Governor-General can be described as performing the duties of Australia's head of state. But ultimately the symbolism of a monarchy must make the Queen the head of state.

That symbolism will be seen during the visit of the King and Queen of the Netherlands. At the State Dinner, hosted by he Governor-General, the King will propose a toast to the Queen of Australia. He may also include the Governor-General, and the people of Australia, but the Queen of Australia will be first. But that in no way makes the Governor-General a "pretend" anything. The Australian Crown is comprised of both the Queen and the Governor-General, and they both have an important role to play. For the Governor-General, that includes hosting and paying State Visits.

In 1988 I went to Melbourne Airport for the arrival of Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus. It was fairly late on a Saturday night. There were about 100 people, and I learnt to sing Oranja Boven. The Queen and Prince Claus came over and I shook hands with both, and said welcome to Melbourne. The next day my aunty rang my mum and said she saw me on the news "shaking hands with some queen." A few days later they went to Flemington for the Melbourne Cup, and Queen Beatrix presented the cup to the winner (a task traditionally carried out by the Governor-General). Unfortunately I won't be here for this latest Dutch State Visit; I'm off to North Korea.

It is a State Visit because that is the level of diplomatic hospitality being accorded to the King and Queen of the Netherlands. The Governor-General is much more than "just" the Queen's representative. The Governor-General, in his own right, is an essential element of the Australian Crown. Even if the Queen moved permanently to Canberra, we would still need a Governor-General to keep the wheels of government turning. At the request of his government, the Governor-General has just finished paying State Visits to several South American countries. So it is entirely appropriate for him to also host State Visits to Australia.

Good heavens...North Korea? I do hope you report back on this very mysterious country:cool:

Good heavens...North Korea? I do hope you report back on this very mysterious country:cool:

Yes, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea for a week in October. It should be interesting. Then it's Beijing to Singapore, almost all the way by train, via Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Malaysia (visiting Royal Palaces in each country). It's disappointing to miss out on the Dutch State Visit, and the chance to sing Oranja Boven, but I was all booked for the Party Foundation Day Tour, and I can't cancel on the Dear Leader, not even for Queen Maxima.

Nice programs. It will be two great state visits.

No state dinner in Australia it seems; on November 2nd they will receive a state lunch from the Australian government. I do not know the reason why, let's hope it is practicalities and not a lack of courtesy. It is highly unusual, even China hosted a dinner for the king.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom