Death of Jorge Zorreguieta, Queen Máxima's Father: August 8, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The funeral will be today already, following Argentinean custom. The King, Queen Máxima, the Princess of Orange, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane will attend.

My condolences to Queen Maxima and her family. It's good that Maxima was there when he passed away.
I wonder if the rest of the family will also go to Argentina soon or if they will wait until the funeral (I apologise if this has already been stated).

The funeral will be today already, following Argentinean custom. The King, Queen Máxima, the Princess of Orange, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane will attend.
Did the King and the daughters were already in Argentina, or she travel first. Just wondering if he passed on Tuesday , Holland is not around the corner from Argentina , it is in fact a long flight, How will they make it in time for funeral?
My Condolences to Maxima!

My condolences to Queen Maxima and her family. May He RIP.

Condolences to Queen Maxima and her family.

Interesting excerpts from an article in NRC/Handelsblad:

[...]

Jorge Horacio Zorreguieta Stefanini was born in 1928 as a descendant of Spanish-Basque and Italian immigrants and son of a banker. In the Netherlands, he became known as State Secretary (1976-1979) and Minister (1979-1981) of Agriculture and Livestock during the dictatorship of General Videla. This led Zorreguieta to lead Argentina's main export sector (grain, meat) during a black period in the country's history. During the dictatorship, according to human rights organizations, about 30,000 people were killed by the state.

In retrospect, Zorreguieta's influential position in the Argentinian regime contains an important irony, Argentinian journalists Gonzalo Álvarez Guerrero and Soledad Ferrari wrote in their book on the Zorreguieta family history. It was that position that closed the doors of the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam during the Royal Wedding of his fourth daughter and the Prince of Orange in 2002. But thirty years earlier, the same position in Buenos Aires had opened his doors to his distinghuised family-in-law, the Cerruti Carricarts.

Initially, María del Carmen ("Carmenza") Carricart Cieza, Jorge's future mother-in-law, had no good word for Zorreguieta. Someone who did not finish his chemistry study. An insignificant man at a customs office in the port of Buenos Aires. Someone who had "just as much soil as fits in a flower box". A seducer who lived illegally with her beautiful daughter María del Carmen (because Jorge was officially married to his first wife, Marta López Gil). And then: Jorge was sixteen years older than her daughter.

Carmenza's attitude softened considerably when Zorreguieta, in addition to his customs work, became increasingly successful in managing the interests of Argentinean landowners at government agencies in the 1970s. He became involved in this sector by previous business interactions on the estate of his first in-law family. Step-by-step Jorge was allowed to come on ever more posh occasions. The fact that he had a Roman-Catholic baptism for (his officially out-of-wedlock born) daughter Máxima in 1971 did not harm Carmenza's devotion either.

[...]

The former correspondent Jan Thielen, who was the only journalist to talk with Zorreguieta for a biographical sketch, called his role in the dictatorship "essential". Not only did 'El Zorro' ('The Fox') cross the world for grain contracts that gave the military junta the much needed currency for the leaping economy. A fabulous business deal with then-communist Moscow also caused the Russians spoke a few words in favour of the military junta in the UN Human Rights Committee, says Thielen.

According to Zorreguieta's good friend Mario Cadenas Madariaga, Máxima's father worked "very shrewd and smart" in his negotiations and could succeed because he was "so terribly sympathetic." About the repression by the generals he said: "Of course, Jorge Zorreguieta was aware of the disappearances. We all knew it."

[....]

The new social and political status and standing also meant: new schools for to the children. The three daughters of Zorreguieta's first marriage went to normal schools, the successful Zorreguieta spared no expense to deliver his "better I", as he called Máxima, a jeunesse dorée. It became a posh English-speaking school, Northlands College, in a suburb of Buenos Aires. The choice for this institution was, in retrospect, the most important investment of Zorreguieta in the future of his fourth daughter. During the last year at Northlands Máxima became friends with Cynthia Kaufmann. It was this Kaufmann who presented Máxima to the Prince of Orange, during the Feria de Abril in Sevilla, Spain, in 1999.

[....]

The band between Jorge Zorreguieta and "his favorite", as Argentine journalists Gonzalo Álvarez Guerrero and Soledad Ferrari wrote about Máxima, survived the painful period in the run-up to the Royal Wedding in 2002.

Former Prime Minister Kok told Máxima's parents that they were not welcome at the Wedding. Both have shed tears on hearing a bandoneón playing the sounds of Adiós Nonino. Father Jorge and mother María del Carmen were in the Ritz Hotel in London, where they saw their daughter Máxima in the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, amongst hundreds of guests and watched by millions of television viewers.

Afterwards, father and daughter would see each other regularly, out of the sight of cameras, as if it were a secret relationship. Later it became more relaxed, as in the case of Máxima's 40th birthday or that of Willem-Alexanders 50th birthday in April this year. Also father and mother Zorreguieta occasionally stayed at Villa De Eikenhorst in Wassenaar, to babysit on their royal grandchildren. The dismay that Argentine victims of human rights still showed in 2007 when Zorreguieta appeared in public with Queen Beatrix at the baptism of Princess Ariane, has faded away. Máxima herself took more and more freedom to emphasize the meaning of moments of proximity to her father. During the Christmas holidays at the Argentinian resort of Villa La Angostura in 2014, the Queen called her father's presence there: "My greatest Christmas present".

Link: https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/08/0...eel-te-danken-aan-dictatuur-12448035-a1569359

thanks for the translations! this is indeed an interesting description of jorge's life and of his relationship with maxima.

i am sure maxima is feeling his loss, as we all would. i did not know they stayed in london for the royal wedding. HOLA reported that maxima and WA joined them directly after the wedding to celebrate with them. a part of me wonders if maxima regrets her decision of proceeding with her wedding knowing her father and mother were not allowed to be there on such a special day for her.

Last edited:
My condolences to Queen Maxima and her family.

Actually, they didn't. The funeral has been posponed until tomorrow so they can be there.
https://www.clarin.com/sociedad/murio-jorge-zorreguieta-padre-reina-maxima-holanda_0_HJck6P_w-.html
Thank you! I am surprised they were able to postpone. In Argentina you have 24 hours to buried somebody, It is not custom to keep the body in freezer until family decide the buriel day. It is automatic.
But I guess they could manage one extra day!

Máxima tristeza: el minuto a minuto de la familia real en Buenos Aires - Caras

here in English
https://translate.google.com/transl...a-minuto-minuto-la-familia-real-buenos-aires/

Thank you! I am surprised they were able to postpone. In Argentina you have 24 hours to buried somebody, It is not custom to keep the body in freezer until family decide the buriel day. It is automatic.

Máxima tristeza: el minuto a minuto de la familia real en Buenos Aires - Caras

here in English
https://translate.google.com/transl...a-minuto-minuto-la-familia-real-buenos-aires/

What a totally besides the thruth BS article!La prensa pulp of Argentina...again...
Not your fault Ashelen.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what do you mean. It's true that it is customary here to bury our relatives within 24 hs of their demise, but it's not written into law.
My family actually waited 48 hs to cremate my grandma, since she had died at 2am on a friday, it was easier to wait until sunday, so that everybody had the chance to say goodbye.
The same happened with a distant relative of mine last year. One of his sons lives in France, so the family waited for him to arrive before the burial.

Condolences to Queen Maxima and her family. RIP

My condolences to the family. Even when one loses a relative at an advanced age, as was the case with Queen Máxima's father, the loss still hurts.

Just as a side comment, since we have been discussing that issue in another forum, it is curious that the Argentinian Foreign Officed referred to Queen Máxima, as Su Majestade la Reina Máxima de los Países Bajos, although she is not Reina de los Países Bajos, but rather just Reina.

It is a common mistake though, both in daily use and in official use, as the distinction between reigning queens and female consorts of kings is often blurred in people's minds.

My condolences to the family. Even when one loses a relative at an advanced age, as was the case with Queen Máxima's father, the loss still hurts.

Just as a side comment, since we have been discussing that issue in another forum, it is curious that the Argentinian Foreign Officed referred to Queen Máxima, as Su Majestade la Reina Máxima de los Países Bajos, although she is not Reina de los Países Bajos, but rather just Reina.

It is a common mistake though, both in daily use and in official use, as the distinction between reigning queens and female consorts of kings is often blurred in people's minds.

i agree. i guess, from reporting purposes, they have to add where the queen in question hails from - just saying 'queen maxima' just sounds incomplete as there are dozens of countries she can be a queen of, so the press prefers adding the country she is from in detriment of sticking to protocolar address. if i didn't know who she was, i would want to know which country she is from and reading 'queen maxima' alone wouldn't give me the full story.

I'm not sure what do you mean. It's true that it is customary here to bury our relatives within 24 hs of their demise, but it's not written into law.
My family actually waited 48 hs to cremate my grandma, since she had died at 2am on a friday, it was easier to wait until sunday, so that everybody had the chance to say goodbye.
The same happened with a distant relative of mine last year. One of his sons lives in France, so the family waited for him to arrive before the burial.
Just I had never listen before somebody to be buried there for more than 24 hs. I thought it was something to do with the decomposition of the body a practical thing to do. May be in some cases like you state 2 am it is not a practical time so you can wait 48 hors , I am not sure if you can wait longer than that ? You might be able to clear the subject better than me.

Looks quite chilly in Buenos Aires,I keep forgetting its winter there!

Just I had never listen before somebody to be buried there for more than 24 hs. I thought it was something to do with the decomposition of the body a practical thing to do. May be in some cases like you state 2 am it is not a practical time so you can wait 48 hors , I am not sure if you can wait longer than that ? You might be able to clear the subject better than me.

We do have morgues, special freezers and embalmers here, it's not like we are running against the clock without any means to delay the inevitable ;)
It's just that elaborate funerals with costly wakes, church services, antique hearse carriages and the like are just not done in Argentina (those are seen as tacky and pointless).
Usually, after some dies the family does a little wake at the deceased's home (if that, many people expressly forbid their family from having one when they die), and then we all go to the cemetery to accompany and support the family/friend/co-worker/etc. who just lost a relative. There, before either cremation or burial, a little mass is said in the cemetery chapel (if the deceased was a religious person)...And then everyone goes home.
And as far as decomposition goes, it takes a few days before things start to turn "ugly" here (apart from January and February, we don't have such a warm weather as in the Caribbean, for example), so waiting a bit more is not out of the question even without the means I mentioned above (we didn't need them for my grandma, that's for sure. We left her in her own bed during the wake, and until the hearse came on sunday morning).

Her official title is Su Alteza Real la princesa Máxima de los Países Bajos, princesa de Orange-Nassau.

Since her spouse became King, "because of tradition" and "out of courtesy" and "seen foreign female consorts" and "because of historic precedents" Princess Máxima "can be adressed with the title and style of her spouse, like any female spouse to a titled gentleman" and so the clear line used by Máxima's three male predecessors and which will be followed by her male successor, was left:

Su Majestade la Reina Máxima, princesa de los Países Bajos, princesa de Orange-Nassau

:previous:

I thought that, by courtesy, HM Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau was known by the title of her husband as HM the Queen of the Netherlands. The same with Mrs. Laurentien Brinkhorst, known by courtesy as HRH Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands.

:previous:

I thought that, by courtesy, HM Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau was known by the title of her husband as HM the Queen of the Netherlands. The same with Mrs. Laurentien Brinkhorst, known by courtesy as HRH Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands.

No, her title "by courtesy" is mixed with her formal titulature, so to say:

Hare Majesteit koningin Máxima, prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau

H.M. koningin Máxima , prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau - Parlement & Politiek

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/koninklijk-huis/troonswisseling (under "Titulatuur")

Princess Mabel and Princess Laurentien did not obtain any title or nobility upon marriage with Prince Johan Friso respectively Prince Constantijn. As is the tradition, they can be adressed with their spouse's title. In the strictest oldfashioned and most formal way, H.K.H. prinses Constantijn der Nederlanden is maybe pore precize, but it is felt as archaïc to address her alike Princess Michael.

In Belgium it is still used in official correspondence. See this death announcement from March 2017.
You can see:
Countess Eugène d'Oultremont
Countess Eric Liedekerke de Pailhe

Last edited:
Thank you for the links, Duc.

The website of the Rijksoverheid states that Princess Máxima is referred to as Her Majesty the Queen, and adds that "officially" her title is Her Majesty Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau.

Vanaf hetzelfde moment wordt de nieuwe Koning aangeduid met Zijne Majesteit de Koning. Zijn officiële titel is Zijne Majesteit Koning Willem-Alexander, Koning der Nederlanden, Prins van Oranje-Nassau. Zijn aanspreektitel is Majesteit.

Prinses Máxima wordt als echtgenote van de Koning aangeduid met Hare Majesteit de Koningin. Officieel luidt haar titel - net als die van de echtgenotes van de Koning Willem I, II en III - Hare Majesteit Koningin Máxima, Prinses der Nederlanden, Prinses van Oranje-Nassau. Haar aanspreektitel is Majesteit. De aanduiding van Koningin betekent niet dat zij staatshoofd is of dezelfde bevoegdheden en verantwoordelijkheden als het staatshoofd heeft, maar dat zij de echtgenote van de Koning is.

Back
Top Bottom