Princess Máxima, Current Events 4 (April - September 2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mirjamdevriend said:
Yesterday a dutch gossipmagazine published photo's of Máxima, Amalia and Alexia on the beach in Wassenaar. Just like any young family with buckets, spades and sandwiches.

How wonderful! What magazine was this?

Kelly said:

It is a magazine called Party. There is not a link where you can find the pictures and I do not post them as they not allowed to be shown on the internet. I think the magazine will be prosecuted for publishing.

i loved the pictures. the girls look lovely with their flowered shorts and maxima looks so comfortable having fun with them at the beach... priceless photos!

i can't wait to see her back to her agenda and in italy. hopefully we will also see the family again for alexia's birthday and for ariane's baptism.

We can expect legal action soon. (Most likely a first letter from the lawyer's team has already arrived at the editor, asking for an explanation).

The three Princesses clearly were enjoying very private familial activities on an empty beach and publicizing these unconsented and unpermitted pictures are in breach with the Media Code Royal House and with the EU Court of Justice's famous ruling in the case Princess Caroline de Monaco vs the Federal Republic of Germany.

Media Code Royal House

The private lives of members of the Royal House will be respected; that is, they may be confident of being left in peace at times when they are not appearing publicly in one of their official positions. This provision therefore also applies to the members of the Royal House who are still minors (up to and including their years at school and any further periods of education).

The phrase ‘left in peace’ means in particular that members of the Royal House will be spared the nuisance of photographers and/or reporters pursuing or spying on them with the aim of taking photographs and/or provoking verbal responses.

Last edited:
I know this is the most resonable (as they are humans that should be respected in privacy) but how did they manage to achieve this since both Maxima and Willem are such public figures? Is this a win:win solution? In which the prince makes sure that the media photographs the little princesses enough and the media therefore respects them during their private moments.

Vanesa said:
I should be happy if she devoted part of her time to a project who involves people having lost their jobs.

Go on, Princess Maxima! You are really a great Lady! I was a little tired of Royals sponsoring only sports! :D

Vanesa.
No kidding, you are so spot on! Completely agree with you. Not that sport isn't important of course, but come on! These royals are by definition in the spotlight so they should use it for weightier problems just as well. Maxima at least, does, good for her. Go Maxima!

Kelly said:
Thing is, it's not that wonderful - I dont' mean to sound like a hypocrite here as I do enjoy seeing pictures of Maxima's family, but here I think it's a case you could classify as harrassment. Media code or no media code, these people should be left alone when not on duty, period. Sure, if it's Maxima by herself on the beach, but she's with her two kids, enjoying a private moment. It's akin to stalking.

All the same, can't help but notice Maxima has a nanny in tow - she must also have one at home for Ariane, who wasn't on the beach. Two nannies working at once? Speak about privileged! The one on the beach, was that that necessary? Ah, I'm a bit old school on this one!

Only one nanny

princess olga said:
Thing is, it's not that wonderful - I dont' mean to sound like a hypocrite here as I do enjoy seeing pictures of Maxima's family, but here I think it's a case you could classify as harrassment. Media code or no media code, these people should be left alone when not on duty, period. Sure, if it's Maxima by herself on the beach, but she's with her two kids, enjoying a private moment. It's akin to stalking.

All the same, can't help but notice Maxima has a nanny in tow - she must also have one at home for Ariane, who wasn't on the beach. Two nannies working at once? Speak about privileged! The one on the beach, was that that necessary? Ah, I'm a bit old school on this one!

The Prince and Princess do employ one fulltime nanny since 2004, so it became known after a lawsuit in which a gossip magazine accused Princess Máxima for slapping a nanny in the face and dismissing her because of disagreements on methods and care. And the magazine also claimed that the Princess has already had three other nannies. All fired by her. Conclusion: the Princess is an 'impossible woman', a 'demanding mother' and has 'uncontrolled latin temper'.

The Prince and Princess felt gravely insulted by this rumour and the public image portrayed of the Princess as a 'bitch' to work for. They ordered their lawyers to sue the magazine. In the courtcase it became clear that the Prince and Princess have only one nanny since 2004 and this very same nanny is still working on Villa Eikenhorst, so nothing from the allegations were true.

The magazine had to place a rectification and had to pay damages, which were transferred to a good cause by the Prince and the Princess.

I thought the nanny was dark haired, so it is possible the blonde lady is just a friend accompaying the Princess and her daughters to the beach.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
We can expect legal action soon. (Most likely a first letter from the lawyer's team has already arrived at the editor, asking for an explanation)
Apparently they have already taken action. According to the royalblog.nl the gossip magazine is no longer invited to photosessions.

http://www.royalblog.nl/

Kelly said:
According to the royalblog.nl the gossip magazine is no longer invited to photosessions.

Really?? That's a good way to punish a magazine if you are a royal. I think they (magazines) have to respect the family moments even we know that they are public figures. We know their job is make good things for the people and also let us see what do they do, but, they also are persons, and they need private moments to share with their families

ahtikavalentine said:
Really?? That's a good way to punish a magazine if you are a royal. I think they (magazines) have to respect the family moments even we know that they are public figures. We know their job is make good things for the people and also let us see what do they do, but, they also are persons, and they need private moments to share with their families

it's not punishing. the dutch royal family, in special willem-alexander and maxima in what regards their daughters, have an agreement with the press: they don't disturb their intimacy and they agree to pose regularly for them in non-official situations. so far, they kept their promise and gave the press at least 7 or 8 photoshoots in the last years, plus regularly they release photos of their daughters - just as for amalia's birthday - or release official videos of intimal family moments. it's just fair that they keep their promise then and allow them to live a "normal" life.

as much as i love seeing them, i think they totally deserve some privacy.

Oooh I didn't know anything about agreements! Well, now that you said it, they should keep their promises...Thanks Carlota for explain it to me!

I think when this magazine is no longer invited, they will publish more photos which are taken during their `private life`. Therefore I think WA and M are going to make it more difficult for themselves! This is a very difficult situations!

Well, this situation has happened before, although I do not remember with which press outlet. Perhaps Henri M can refresh my memory. And that press outlet no longer has any photos of the royal family. I believe that they would face severe court action were they to photograph and publish pictures of the little ones.

I know that the little ones, whilst being public figures, are as children, entitled to more protection from intrusive media, per the law, than their parents.

Do you mean the pictures of WA, Máxima & Amalia swimming in Italy?? I believe that was 'Privé.'

I understand but I don't understand this code. It seems that I remember seeing pics of private family moments soon after Alexia's birth when Maxima took the 2 girls to Argentina. And yet I don't remember there being a problem with those pics. I'm struggling to understand the difference. Maybe it's that the pics were taken abroad but then again there is the incident in Italy with the Prive pic. Possibly the difference is how private of a place the family is in? It is possible to go to a private area of a beach or lake but attending the Torino Olympics as a family, well not much privacy there. Is that the difference?

Aurora810 said:
I understand but I don't understand this code. It seems that I remember seeing pics of private family moments soon after Alexia's birth when Maxima took the 2 girls to Argentina. And yet I don't remember there being a problem with those pics. I'm struggling to understand the difference. Maybe it's that the pics were taken abroad but then again there is the incident in Italy with the Prive pic. Possibly the difference is how private of a place the family is in? It is possible to go to a private area of a beach or lake but attending the Torino Olympics as a family, well not much privacy there. Is that the difference?

The EU Court of Justice's ruling in the case Princess Caroline de Monaco vs the Federal State of Germany has no enforcement outside the European Union. The Media Code in the Netherlands is build on this EU Court ruling.

The unconsented pictures made in private circumstances in Italy (a memberstate of the European Union) and published by a magazine vested in the Netherlands (a memberstate of the European Union) are prosecutable. Pictures made in Argentina and published in Argentina are not prosecutable. But a Dutch magazine buying these Argentinean pics and publishing them is prosecutable.

All according the EU Court ruling's principle that the basic right on an undisturbed private life sphere outweighs the interest a part of the public might have. With other words: the interest of a part of the public in trivia does not justify an appeal on Freedom of Press and Freedom of Information. According to the EU Court of Justice pictures of minor children of famous people or famous people clearly in private circumstances (walking in the park, shopping, playing with children) can not be published without the given consent of the person involved. That was the basic principle in the case Caroline vs Germany. The Prince and Princess of Orange have developed a pro-active attitude to get this EU Court ruling vested in the Netherlands legal jurisprudence. With success: all their lawsuits were succesful so far and they succeed in vesting a Media Code (with approval of the media involved).

The Olympic Winter Games in Torino can hardly be called 'private'. The Games were aired 'live', worldwide and the Prince was there in his capacity as a member of the International Olympic Committee. So the Prince watching events, together with the three Princesses was a choice with the knowlegde that the venue is overcrowded with media. That is a total different situation than pictures made of the Princesses on an empty beach, enjoying familial pleasures.

Most likely Party is testing how the temper is at Villa Eikenhorst, these days. It has been very calm with lawsuits, so far. Party is a small magazine in a heavy competition and then they will have calculated the risk of costly damages vs. extra publicity with exclusive pictures.

Last edited:
Thank you, Henri, for your interesting explanation.

Furthermore, weren't the pictures taken in Argentina during an official visit, or at least during an outing where Maxima and her family were there as reps of the NL and not as private visitors? Or am I getting this confused with some other pictures (amalia in that cute little dress, Blue?) that were taken in Argentina. I believe that if those are the pictures that are spoken of here, then that was a posed op for the media.

Empress said:
Furthermore, weren't the pictures taken in Argentina during an official visit, or at least during an outing where Maxima and her family were there as reps of the NL and not as private visitors? Or am I getting this confused with some other pictures (amalia in that cute little dress, Blue?) that were taken in Argentina. I believe that if those are the pictures that are spoken of here, then that was a posed op for the media.

It was a visit in the frame of micro-credit,the children stayed with their grandparents while Máxima toured projects and had meetings with officials in Brazil and Argentina.At the end of the visit was the 2nd birthday of Amalia and a photo shoot was arranged in front of the dutch embassy,Buenos Aires,Amalia dressed up in a cute blue dress and cuddling up to her little sister.:wub:

HKH Prinses Máxima in Argentinië van 04 - 07 december 2005

Courtesy Royal Press Europe/Albert Nieboer.
:flowers:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Seems Maxima's calender is getting back into place now.

Henri M. said:
The Prince and Princess do employ one fulltime nanny since 2004, so it became known after a lawsuit in which a gossip magazine accused Princess Máxima for slapping a nanny in the face and dismissing her because of disagreements on methods and care...
The Prince and Princess felt gravely insulted by this rumour and the public image portrayed of the Princess as a 'bitch' to work for. They ordered their lawyers to sue the magazine. In the courtcase it became clear that the Prince and Princess have only one nanny since 2004 and this very same nanny is still working on Villa Eikenhorst, so nothing from the allegations were true.
I thought the nanny was dark haired, so it is possible the blonde lady is just a friend accompaying the Princess and her daughters to the beach.
But in 2004 they had 1 kid, now they have 3, one nanny sounds impossible unless they are making her break all sort of working hours regulations, when Maxima and WA goes away for days abroad only one person taking care of two or three kids at different age seems impossible if they are going to respect the workinghours regulations, WA has been travelling alot the last years and MAxima has also been quite busy. Maximas parents dont live in the country and even if it is clear Beatrix loves her grandkids taking care of such small children for days, I think not:lol: Besides I think Maxima has alwys been quite realistic and not made any 100% mummy comments, Did she not even say at one trip that her kids had to be left with nannies quite some time?

Empress said:
Or am I getting this confused with some other pictures (amalia in that cute little dress, Blue?) that were taken in Argentina.

The pictures of Princess Máxima with her two daughters Princess Catharina-Amalia and Princess Alexia (in Buenos Aires) were arranged. It was the birthday of La Pequeña Princesa Amalia and a photo-shoot was organized in front of the Embajada Real de los Países Bajos en la Argentina.

:flowers:

So these pictures did not fall under 'disturbing the private life sphere'.

Larzen said:
But in 2004 they had 1 kid, now they have 3, one nanny sounds impossible unless they are making her break all sort of working hours regulations, when Maxima and WA goes away for days abroad only one person taking care of two or three kids at different age seems impossible if they are going to respect the workinghours regulations, WA has been travelling alot the last years and MAxima has also been quite busy. Maximas parents dont live in the country and even if it is clear Beatrix loves her grandkids taking care of such small children for days, I think not:lol: Besides I think Maxima has alwys been quite realistic and not made any 100% mummy comments, Did she not even say at one trip that her kids had to be left with nannies quite some time?

From what I have seen so far, also in the documentary on the Prince of Orange's 40th birthday, the Prince and Princess do attach a lot of importance to a very personal input in the upbringing of their children. The Queen and the Prince of Orange have been surrounded by hundreds of staff all their life long and I can imagine the choice for Villa Eikenhorst, away from the palaces and the royal household organization, is an expression of their desire to have at least the pleasures and joy of a real familial setting, as long as it is possible.

From what I know, there is only one nanny employed. Also there seems to be a nanny employed by the Zorreguieta family. I have seen pictures of latin-looking staff in nurse-like uniform carrying the little Princesses in and outside the appartments in Recoleta (a chique neighbourhood in Buenos Aires).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom