The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima, Current Events 6 (Feb 2006 - Jan 2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Representing the country'

I think that we must keep in the eye that they are spouses to a (future) head of state, no more, no less.

Queen Wilhelmina, Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix can, with the best intentions, hardly be called 'beauties'. It is really of secondary importance.

But I agree that, in this media era, Princess Máxima with her academic background, knowledge of many languages and her open personality and her vibrant and sparkling impression makes her a perfect 'spouse of'.

By the way, I think that we all agree that the Dutch Princesses all are -in beauty- outhsined by the other European Princesses. But their individual personalities seems so much stronger.

Henri M. said:
I think that we must keep in the eye that they are spouses to a (future) head of state, no more, no less....
By the way, I think that we all agree that the Dutch Princesses all are -in beauty- outhsined by the other European Princesses. But their individual personalities seems so much stronger.
Perhaps that shows how sensible the princes are.
A shame though for people to not acknowledge that a disabled person would not be a good spouse:sad:.

I love Maxima, but the dress and hairdo does make her look way old! Just like the hairdo Letizia had in that red dress for some royal wedding! She looked way old as well.

Henri M. said:
Queen Wilhelmina, Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix can, with the best intentions, hardly be called 'beauties'. It is really of secondary importance.
Ok waitaminute here...Juliana, I agree, was never destined to be a model-type beauty. But...in my opinion, you are dead wrong about the other two queens. I'm too tired to go look for links (it's late here), but Wilhelmina in her young days was definitely regarded as a looker. Why, even queen Victoria of England is known to have remarked that the young Dutch queen, who went on a visit to England at some point, was a very pretty young lady, with fine facial features, big eyes, beautiful skin and hair.
And on to Beatrix..there's numerous photographical evidence that she was a striking beauty, even when a young-ish queen in her fourties. High cheekbones, goregeous teeth & smile, etc.
So in short, and very off topic! I beg to differ (though I agree looks are of secondary importance always!)

Henri M. said:
You're including the Van Vollenhoven girls here? Because if you are, I think each of them could, given the chance, easily outshine & give bland Mary Donaldson and skinny Letizia a run for their money, if you ask me! True, nobody could outshine the luminous Mathilde--nobody.

But if you'd ask me who I'd rather sit next to at a dinner party: say, Laurentien or Mabel, Maxima or Mathilde, she'd end up last! The first three just seem infinitely more interesting to talk to, you're right about that!

plus royaliste que le roi

With her dazzling ancestry and her regal appearance, Her Royal Highness Mathilde Marie Christine Ghislaine Princess of Belgium, Duchess of Brabant née Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz is plus royaliste que le roi compared with the three Netherlands princesses.

But for some reasons the Belgian princesses (Astrid, Mathilde and Claire) but also the Belgian Queens look like their role simply is 'shut up and be pretty'.

It is just my personal impression, of course, which can be terribly wrong in the eyes of others.

Not to be disrespectfull, but 'dazzling' is not what comes to mind when I think of Belgian country squires and polish nobility (Mathilde's anscestors).

I know that this isn't the thread for it, but I do believe that Mathilde was never a countess but only a jonkvrouwe (how would the french translation of that be?). Weren't her parents, uncles, aunts, siblings and cousins only created counts at the moment when Mathilde was created Princess of Belgium by King Albert II?

Judging from Mathilde's various activities she does a whole lot more then shut up and be pretty. The only difference with her dutch counterpart is that she doesn't give interviews. The duchess of Brabant even holds speeches, so she certainly talks :) Fabiola was/is rather engaged to and only Paola seems to prefer a more modest role.

Counts, Princes and Cardinals

Marengo said:
Not to be disrespectfull, but 'dazzling' is not what comes to mind when I think of Belgian country squires and polish nobility (Mathilde's anscestors).

I know that this isn't the thread for it, but I do believe that Mathilde was never a countess but only a jonkvrouwe (how would the french translation of that be?). Weren't her parents, uncles, aunts, siblings and cousins only created counts at the moment when Mathilde was created Princess of Belgium by King Albert II?

The family d'Udekem d'Acoz is of ancient nobility which was recognized by King Willem I of the Netherlands (including present Belgium), Grand Duke of Luxembourg. He bestowed the baronial rank upon the family, to be inherited by the eldest son only.

Mathilde's father Patrick was a younger son so he only used the predicate Jonkheer (Messire / Écuyer) to indicate his noble birth. His eldest brother Henri was the Baron d'Udekem d'Acoz. As the daughter of a Jonkheer, Mathilde was a Jonkvrouwe (Demoiselle) to indicate her noble birth.

In 1999 it had pleased His Majesty The King to bestow the countly rank on the family d'Udekem d'Acoz, hereditary for all males. Since then Jonkvrouwe (Demoiselle) Mathilde became a Countess.

Her paternal ancestry is very much intertwined with Southern-Netherlands (Belgian) aristocracy while her maternal ancestry is Polish. Her maternal grandparents were Leon Michael Count Komorovski and Sophia Princess Sapieha-Kodenski. The tutor and mentor of the late Pope Johannes-Paulus II was Adam Stefan Cardinal Sapieha, Prince of Sapieha-Kodenski, Archbishop of Krakov. It was a quite high standing family.

Last edited:
I wonder what MTV asked Pincess Máxima (and what she answered). :lol:
Does anyone know??

Polfoto

It's funny how she's holding her husband's hand:lol:, she's a sweet wife too

Her_Majesty said:
I wonder what MTV asked Pincess Máxima (and what she answered). :lol:
Does anyone know??
http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cac98hi3wg7.jpg
Polfoto

I saw a part on ´blauw bloed´ and the couple was only questioned about the movie and only (very shortly) anwsered things related to the movie. How much they enjoyed it and that they would like to see it for a second time.
As every reporter was asking the same thing they made almost the same comment all the time :)

Henri M. said:
With her dazzling ancestry and her regal appearance, Her Royal Highness Mathilde Marie Christine Ghislaine Princess of Belgium, Duchess of Brabant née Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz is plus royaliste que le roi compared with the three Netherlands princesses.

But for some reasons the Belgian princesses (Astrid, Mathilde and Claire) but also the Belgian Queens look like their role simply is 'shut up and be pretty'.

It is just my personal impression, of course, which can be terribly wrong in the eyes of others.
well I think that Mathilde is very traditional, though not necessarily a mere wall flower either. She also seems exceptionally kind, maybe even too much so. To compare to Maxima, who also is known for her friendliness, it just seems to me that mere humans like myself would have an easier time relating to her (Maxima), who seems to be very self-deprecative, than Mathilde, who is so much the picture of perfection, if I ever met her in real life, I might be too intimidated to speak to her. Wheareas Maxima is known to not be intimidating at all.
Then again, I get these impressions by way of the media, so I may be 360 degrees off course vis a vis the reality.

Marengo said:
yes I think that's correct.

Marengo said:
Judging from Mathilde's various activities she does a whole lot more then shut up and be pretty. The only difference with her dutch counterpart is that she doesn't give interviews.
She doesn't??! Never realised that! Why on the planet doesn't she? Ok this is completely off topic. Maxima has given slews of interviews, although only a few formal ones, on her own, right? Hasn't hurt her reputation, on the contrary I'd say.

Messire / Dame (Demoiselle)

A jonkheer is an ecuyer in French and is an indication of being of noble blood without bearing a title like baroness or countess or so.

In French the form of adress messire or dame (demoiselle) indicates their rank instead of monsieur/madame (mademoiselle).
In Dutch the form of adress is hoogwelgeboren (high- and wellborn).

In French:
Demoiselle Mathilde Marie Christine Ghislaine d'Udekem d'Acoz, fille de Messire Patrick Paul François Xavier Marie Ghislain d'Udekem d'Acoz, Ecuyer.

In Dutch:
De hoogwelgeboren jonkvrouw Mathilde Marie Christine Ghislaine d'Udekem dochter van de hoogwelgeboren jonkheer Patrick Paul François Xavier Marie Ghislain d'Udekem d'Acoz.

Sorry for continuing the off topic session here.
Marengo is completely right about Mathilde´s, Astrid´s and Fabiola´s active role. Mathilde for example held several speeches; some of them can be found here. So it’s very easy to negate Henri M.´s theory. And using the example of humanitarian work: Mathilde is UNAIDS and UNICEF Special Representative for Children and AIDS and was emissary for the International Year of Microcredit 2005. Pretty unlikely for someone who simply shuts up!
But the grass is always greener on your side of the fence, isn’t it Henri M.?:rolleyes:
She doesn't??! Never realised that! Why on the planet doesn't she? Ok this is completely off topic. Maxima has given slews of interviews, although only a few formal ones, on her own, right? Hasn't hurt her reputation, on the contrary I'd say.
As for the interviews, Mathilde has given some interviews and press statements (e.g. during her field trips in Africa, when she left the hospital with the then newborn Emmanuel). Mathilde and Philippe even agreed to a TV documentary about them, where they answered several questions. But generally speaking the Belgian court acts with reserve when it comes to interviews.

And finally - I don’t understand why the history of Mathilde´s title has to be exercised in this topic?

I'm not sure if it has been posted before, but someone asked Princess Máxima if he could get a hug and her answer was that he would have to ask her husband...

Henri M. said:
The family d'Udekem d'Acoz is of ancient nobility which was recognized by King Willem I of the Netherlands (including present Belgium), Grand Duke of Luxembourg. He bestowed the baronial rank upon the family, to be inherited by the eldest son only.

Mathilde's father Patrick was a younger son so he only used the predicate Jonkheer (Messire / Écuyer) to indicate his noble birth. His eldest brother Henri was the Baron d'Udekem d'Acoz. As the daughter of a Jonkheer, Mathilde was a Jonkvrouwe (Demoiselle) to indicate her noble birth.

In 1999 it had pleased His Majesty The King to bestow the countly rank on the family d'Udekem d'Acoz, hereditary for all males. Since then Jonkvrouwe (Demoiselle) Mathilde became a Countess.

It's true the family got the rank Count/Countess, but Mathilde didn't, as she was already Princess of Belgium.

wedding

I'm looking for a site where i cab find pictures of the wedding of Crown Prince Alexander and Princess Maxima.
Does somebody know where too find this?
Thank you

Go to the sitemap at the bottom of this page and click, then to the old,new,royal and blue thread and click and a list of weddings of many, many royals await you. Just select the couple you are interested in..

Today, RVD released new official pictures of the Dutch crownprincely family
The link for the original photos can be found here

Here they are (in normal size)

The Family

Prince of Orange

Princess Maxima

Princess Amalia

Princess Alexia

and the HQ ones...

All photos courtesy of : RVD / Fotogeniek, foto: Jeroen van der Meyde

Last edited:
Wow great!
They must have been taken after the baptism of Leonore, right?
How cute!
Amalia and Alexia are incredible! :flowers:

beautiful pictures of the family they must do this more often.

Amalia's resemblance to Beatrix is remarkable in that individual photo of herself!

Wow, these pictures are amazing. All of them look absolutely great. I love the girls, they're so beautiful :flowers:

40-th birthday Prince of Orange will be celebrated in great style

According to a poster on another board, the 40th birthday of HRH The Prince of Orange will be celebrated in great style.

- a special television documentary will be made and broadcasted on the eve of his birthday
- there will be an interview with the Prince and his family
- there will be a grand national celebration in the Amsterdam ArenA, like was done on the eve of his wedding (see link for 16 pictures of this wonderful event)

http://members3.boardhost.com/Beneluxroyal/msg/1161270633.html

or

http://angel.tctubantia.nl/tctubantia/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Koninklijk_Huis/Het_Huwelijk/Feest_in_ArenA&img=

One of the pictures:

arena06.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Henri M., i had never seen this pictures :flowers:

WOOOWWWW !!!!!!! thankssss for the photos.

What a beautiful picture!!!!!!!!!
Amalia and Alexia are really cute!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom