Baptism of Princess Ariane: October 20, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am having the same problem! It's so very frustrating. I even tried downloading the video to my realplayer and it still stopped at the same point [children walking in]. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what to do?

It must be a fault with the video if it is freezing at the same time for us both. The part with the children is the bit I wanted to see!

Nice video. Maxima looked as if she was crying in one part.

Yes, she was! When I saw the first picture I didn't quite like the hat, but now that I've seen it in detail...she looked really fine!

I really hated Ines' coat though. Not really appropiate for this occasion I believe. Maybe I would have expected something like that for WA's baptism...back in the late 60's.

When Maxima and the queen cracking up, I think that was when Claus-Casimir is sticking his head into the front, when the priest baptising Ariane:)

i cant understand how the queen enjoyed this show... i am still amazed....

ANP

POLFOTO

ANP

Well, now that I am home again and had a chance to look at all the beautiful photos, I will put my two cents in. I thought Maxima looked wonderful! She truly looked the part of a proud mommy and Crown Princess. The girls were adorable as always!:wub: For that matter, all the children looked so cute! It was great to see them all together. Her Majesty looked fabulous! Not too far left or right! The speeches were heartfelt and beautiful. Mabel, well, she was herself...that collar! :eek:All in all, an amazing day!

It must be a fault with the video if it is freezing at the same time for us both. The part with the children is the bit I wanted to see!

I have the same problem. It's so frustrating. I tried several times but the video freezes always at the same point in the video when the children enter the churc.

When Maxima and the queen cracking up, I think that was when Claus-Casimir is sticking his head into the front, when the priest baptising Ariane:)

I actually thought the were laughing because of this, Amalia and Alexia trying to take a look under the robes of Rvd van der Boon.

To susan alicia:

Though it was fun to watch they were rather wild, esp. Claus-Casimir who was running around (bumping into Leonore once or twice), throwing pillows in the air, and even screaming out loud. My great-aunts comment was ´Well, if he wouldn´t be royal people would say he is a little brat´.

The ´problem´ was that the parents couldn´t realy correct their children, as they were seated on a safe distance. The parent would have to step over the flower arrangements and correct the kid in front of the television camera´s, not quite the thing I assume. If you want them to behave better they should be seated with their parents. The downside of that is that they probably would have fallen asleep. The way it was done now they at least got involved with the ceremony. Another option would be to only get them in the church for the 10 minutes of the actual baptism and take them away again, but that wouldn´t be nice for us, the public.

---

On a different note, I realy liked this vicar, he has a very nice voice (not the annoying posh accent of Ds. Carel ter Linden) and the sermon was nice too. apart from that he seems good natured. I hope they will ´use´ him more often. The reverend apparently visits Villa Eikenhorst once in a while, he was sharing an anecdote about a visit, where the couple and he discussed about christianity and raising children etc.

Last edited:
I actually thought the were laughing because of this, Amalia and Alexia trying to take a look under the robes of Rvd van der Boon.

To susan alicia:

Though it was fun to watch they were rather wild, esp. Claus-Casimir who was running around (bumping into Leonore once or twice), throwing pillows in the air, and even screaming out loud. My great aunt comments was ´Well, if he wouldn´t be royal people would say he is a brat´.

The ´problem´ was that the parents couldn´t realy correct their children, as they were seated on a safe distance. The parent would have to step over the flower arrangements and correct the kid in front of the television camera´s, not quite the thing I assume. If you want them to behave better they should be seated with their parents. The downside of that is that they probably would have fallen asleep. The way it was done now they at least got involved with the ceremony. Another option would be to only get them in the church for the 10 minutes of the actual baptism and take them away again, but that wouldn´t be nice for us, the public.

---

On a different note, I realy liked this vicar, he has a very nice voice (not the annoying posh accent of Ds. Carel ter Linden) and the sermon was nice too. apart from that he seems good natured. I hope they will ´use´ him more often. The reverend apparently visits Villa Eikenhorst once in a while, he was sharing an anecdote about a visit, where the couple and he discussed about christianity and raising children etc.

it wasn't amalia and alexia. it was eloise who lifted the robes of the reverent and amalia was laying down next to her. i also found it quite bad the children were just wandering around. it's impossible to keep a child quiet in the seat for the whole hour the ceremony lasted, but i believe they could have made a bit better, since it's quite a formal ocassion. there's nothing wrong with them walking around or playing together, but perhaps the older people could have asked the children not to lay down on the altar, or to throw pillows. look at anastacia (the girl in red, i don't know if it is anastacia or anette's isabella) or at emma. they are two different ages, but they were behaving correctly all the time and we never saw neither of them generally walking around.

on the other side, i'd say it would be worrying if none of the children got up and started playing in the middle of the ceremony. they are, after all, just kids, and church ceremonies can be boring.

Anyone remember a very young Prince reaching into his father's pocket for raisins while sitting very quietly. He was much younger than some of these children and was under control. This was a religious service, and should have been honored this way by everyone there. If they cannot control the children they should be left in a room with a Nanny. I am sure I will get many comments regarding they are just kids. Kids need to have manners and learn when it is OK to play, and when you are supposed to behave. A religious service qualifies for good behavior, royal child or not.

To susan alicia:

Though it was fun to watch they were rather wild, esp. Claus-Casimir who was running around (bumping into Leonore once or twice), throwing pillows in the air, and even screaming out loud. My great aunt comments was ´Well, if he wouldn´t be royal people would say he is a brat´.

---

Ok, I wrote the wrong name;)

Anyone remember a very young Prince reaching into his father's pocket for raisins while sitting very quietly. He was much younger than some of these children and was under control. This was a religious service, and should have been honored this way by everyone there. If they cannot control the children they should be left in a room with a Nanny. I am sure I will get many comments regarding they are just kids. Kids need to have manners and learn when it is OK to play, and when you are supposed to behave. A religious service qualifies for good behavior, royal child or not.

i quite agree. while i respect a little of "turmoil" when they become bored, i totally believe children should be left at home when they are little, as they won't behave properly. the same happened in alexia's christening, in sofia's christening and in sverre magnus'. maybe that's the reason why big events do not include young children (coronations, etc). this wasn't as important as a coronation, but even so. however, as much as i think alike for both royal and commoner children, i love to see them, so i'd much rather they played around... :wub:

who was the prince of the raisins, though?

Last edited:
On a different note, I realy liked this vicar, he has a very nice voice (not the annoying posh accent of Ds. Carel ter Linden) and the sermon was nice too. apart from that he seems good natured.

I am glad someone else saw what I saw too :flowers: I didnt understand a word of what the vicar said but i found him so kind-hearted. His eyes and his smile so good and tender.

I agree with you. IMo, like other member said, the children are sweet but they gave a terrible show. Yes, they are just kids but they have proper places to play. I dont blame them, they are too young to understand what they should do or not but their parents and the Queen should know that those jumps and pillows in the air are very disturbing. It also seems these children, specially Laurentien's children, dont have much self control which is bad. Look at Prince Christian or Princess Elizabeth. They are young too and they know their limits, they dont need to perform in public to get attention.

I dont know if this is the typical children behavior in The Netherlands but I guess if they werent royal children they would get some criticism by other guests.

Beautiful pictures you have found "princess leonor" thanks.

I thought Leonor was fine for her age. The best little boy ever is for me christian at the baptism of his sister, what a darling :wub:

i quite agree. while i respect a little of "turmoil" when they become bored, i totally believe children should be left at home when they are little, as they won't behave properly. the same happened in alexia's christening, in sofia's christening and in sverre magnus'. maybe that's the reason why big events do not include young children (coronations, etc). this wasn't as important as a coronation, but even so. however, as much as i think alike for both royal and commoner children, i love to see them, so i'd much rather they played around... :wub:

she is my favorite too, believe she will grow up to be a great beauty though you can never be sure at this age. Remember at the fourtieth birthday of WA maxima made an authorive gesture with her hand for her to get out of the carriage. she did not until maxima went out and held her arms open to her:)

Agree with you amina1, she is also my little favourite royal:wub:

I too thought that Claus-Casimir was 'a little brat'. He went a few times to his parents, they should have kept him with them.

The rest of the children were playful as children are, but that was not so disturbing as Claus-Casimir.

Maxima's girls are very cute, it's a pity she always dresses them up as if they were going to a carnaval party...

I also liked Anita's outfit the most.
Maxima's make-up is always great.

I agree with those who say that the children did not behave well during the christening. Especially Claus should have been corrected by his parents. On the moments he ran back to where his parents were seated, his father or mother should have taken him. He probably would have started screaming then, but I prefer two minutes of screaming above a child running around, throwing pillows and roses at the guests in the front row. But Claus wasn't the only one behaving not well, also Amalia and Alexia should have been corrected a few times. Only Eloise behaved better. I do remember Prince Christian, but I don't think we can compare his situation to this one. He was almost the only little one in the chapel, so no other children to play with or pillows to throw with.
The actual christening with the children standing around was very sweet, but the service isn't my idea of a christening..

It was Christian. There are some pictures where you will see him putting his hand into his father's pocket to find his treats.

Last edited:
Like some other posters, I was very surprised when Máxima and Willem-Alexander entered the church without Ariane! Considering the length of the service, it was very wise to leave the children outside for the first part, but it was still a bit too long for some... These things, long services and bringing the baby in later, are those traditional Dutch customs or are they only common for the Royal Family?
I have attended two christenings here in Sweden this autumn and both services lasted half an hour. That's it!

The actual christening with the children standing around was very sweet, but the service isn't my idea of a christening..

In what way was it not your idea of a christening? It is very different from the ones I am used to as well, but the sermon was nice IMHO. The music was nice too, but very little religious hymns. And (related to this) it always stikes me as odd to do a baptism on a saturday, can´t think of anybody else who does/did that apart from our royals.

Last edited:
This was a Protestant service, right? (And same for other princesses -- Amalia & Alexia.)

Does anyone have a copy of or more information on the dispensation that Princess Maxima got from the Catholic archbishop to dispense with her requirement to raise her children Catholic?

Just curious! :flowers:

This was a Protestant service, right? (And same for other princesses -- Amalia & Alexia.)

Does anyone have a copy of or more information on the dispensation that Princess Maxima got from the Catholic archbishop to dispense with her requirement to raise her children Catholic?

Willem-Alexander and his children belong to the Protestant Church in The Netherlands. This church has an agreement with the Roman Catholic Church regarding the mutual recognition of baptism and inter-church marriage, using Ephesians 4: 5-6: One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

The services of this protestant church last often at least 1 till 1,5 hour.
More information: Protestant Church in the Netherlands

I too thought that Claus-Casimir was 'a little brat'. He went a few times to his parents, they should have kept him with them.

The rest of the children were playful as children are, but that was not so disturbing as Claus-Casimir.

I was underwhelmed by C-C's behavior. its natural for kids to be rambunctious but he was really pretty bratty. perhaps he's spoiled because he's the only male grandchild.

Question: did anyone else think this baptism was "grander" than Alexia's? the church seemed bigger, there seemed to be more guests. it just struck me as a bigger event.

I didn't know any Bishop could give that kind of dispensation. I knew Bishops could dispense a catholic person if she/he wants to marry a protestant, but I thought their future children would have to be educated into the catholic principles. Maybe it's different for people who marry with future monarchs.

I didn't know any Bishop could give that kind of dispensation. I knew Bishops could dispense a catholic person if she/he wants to marry a protestant, but I thought their future children would have to be educated into the catholic principles. Maybe it's different for people who marry with future monarchs.
Right, as far as I know, Máxima was allowed to remain Catholic, and got the dispense from the Catholic church to marry WA, but she had to get married by the Protestant church and commit herself to educating her sons under that faith in the future. And that's what she is following.

True, it was never a question that the main line of the House of Orange would become catholic, as the Prince of Orange hastened himself to emphasize during the press conference after he announced his engagement (´the house of Orange will remain a protestant one´). It would be terribly odd if they would turn catholic, but technically they are free to do so.

Back
Top Bottom