Analysis of Máxima

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henri M.

Royal Highness
City
Eindhoven / Maastricht
Country
Netherlands
In the academic weekly Intermediair, there was a long article on Princess Máxima, titled: Máxima, the born Queen. It is quite a long article, with some parts of lesser interest (Dutch internal politics) but here is a summarized translation. Enjoy the reading!

On a dark evening in the autumn of 2005, the marechaussees at the gates of the royal domain De Horsten (The Eyries) halt a car at the beginning of the alley leading to the princely villa De Eikenhorst (The Eyrie in the Oakwoods). When the marechaussees approach the black car, a nervous giggling sounds. Cigarettes smoke crawls upwards along the opened window next to the driver. To their amazement the marechaussees see tonight’s visit in one car: Femke Halsema (fraction leader in the Second Chamber), her colleague Naïma Azough, Maarten van der Meer (an Amsterdam councillor) and Katelijne Buitenweg (member of the European Parliament). These politicians are all members of the Groen-Links (Green-Left) party and are publicly convinced republicans. They are invited for diner with the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima. Also delegations from other parties have regularly been invited to villa De Eikenhorst, for diners which do not rarely last until past midnight. The menu is partly Argentinean, partly Dutch, and with vegetables from the own estate.

One of the visitors tells: 'They wanted to know our opinions about a number of political themes. I was amazed that they expressed their own opinions so open and clear. It became totally lively when the couple themselves were in mutual disagreement on certain topics. They felt very easy about it.' An alderman from a large city finds it 'extremely clever' that the princely couple organizes these private evenings with prominent politicians. 'While I’m actually republican, I became a fan that evening. They are a blessing for the Netherlands thanks to their openness and their communicative skills.'

Máxima Zorreguieta came, saw and conquered. All the upheaval about her marriage with the Prince of Orange became dumbstruck after her overwhelming entrance during the princely engagement on 30 March 2001. On that moment the whole of the Netherlands wanted to engage with her, certainly since she has so clearly taken distance from the Videla-regime. Perhaps more surprising yet, is that she effortlessly remained upright since then.
[…]

Princess Máxima is by far the most popular member of the Royal House. 'It is her appearance, her flair, her joie de vivre, her exuberance, her cosmopolitanism. All are characteristics which the royal Court did not own in too large extents', says a royalty watcher. 'Queen Beatrix and Prince Willem-Alexander never seek real contact with the public. Princess Máxima tries to have a real conversation with you, including non-verbal communication.' Royalty-reporter Marc van der Linden of ‘Weekend Magazine’ endorses that Princess Máxima knows how to reach the people: 'She makes jokes, is not fearful to make physical contact or to show her emotions. I remember that she was very emotional during the awarding of the Geuzenpenning (Medaille des Gueux) to the mother of Ingrid Betancourt, the kidnapped Colombian candidate for president.’ But The Queen also shows some more of her emotions, finds Marc van der Linden. ‘I think that is Máxima’s influence.’
[….]

The nature talent is an asset for the Royal House. There is quite an unanimous opinion in that. Máxima felt out of Heaven as the rescueing angel, when Queen Beatrix’ long time so praised no-nonsense style suddenly no longer did fit so well in the mood of changing times. 'Princess Máxima lets the monarchy radiate again’ says Peter Rehwinkel, mayor of Naarden and before that spokesman for constitutional law for the Labour Party in the Second Chamber. 'She lays other accents than The Queen. Of course that lies also at her age and origin, and at the abundance that she radiates. I think I must state explicitly that Princess Máxima’s actions are no break with the trend or with the preceding and that she is also not intending that at all.' Queen Beatrix certainly is one of Princess Máxima’s example figures, thinks Peter Rehwinkel. ‘Princess Máxima may come over quite exuberantly but, like The Queen, she leaves nothing to the coincidence. For the last rehearsal of her marriage, she brought a vertically striped long curtain with her, so that she could exactly see and exercise the effects of her bridal train. A directly involved person tells: ‘She directed the bridesmaids so precisely. In Spanish indeed. But it was clear: this lady knew exactly what she wanted and knows how to impose her wishes. Considerably more than her spouse.’

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
(continuation from first post)

It is often indicated and easily to conclude: Princess Máxima outshines the Prince of Orange. Everywhere she comes the thronefollower fades away in her shadow.
[….]

But the Prince of Orange is a good-natured man, and they seems still to be very much in love with each other. 'Princess Máxima knows how to deal with all the attention quite nicely, in such a way that it is not irritating for the Prince to stand in her shadow, says an insider of the royal Court. ‘They allow each other the attention' stated one of the photographers making pictures at the opening of an exhibition in the Amsterdam Historical Museum: ‘Prince Charles was quite jealous on Diana. Prince Willem-Alexander feels no jealousy on Máxima.' The marriage is a golden match: she is a woman of the world but obtained royal class. In exchange for that he obtained sex-appeal, and with him the Royal House’.

'Prince Willem-Alexander has grown thanks to his marriage with Máxima', says Marc van der Linden. 'More and more you hear, also at the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (Government Information Agency): "The Prince wants this” or "No, the Prince does not want it". He has become more confident. No longer he feels the prying eyes of his all-and-everything controlling mother. Now they are a good operating two-unity at De Eikenhorst’.

d8.jpg

[Then a long piece about the politically sensitive ‘Commission Máxima’, officially it was called the Commission PAVEM (Participation of Women from Ethnic Minority Groups) which attracted huge attention thanks to its prominent royal member but also stirred controversy with bold statements on integration and immigration. A sensitive topic in the Netherlands.]

At the royal Court man sighed out of relief that the Commission was just temporary. One source: ‘Man was sure at the royal Court: this no longer and not again.’ After all the Royal House must be an unifying factor, standing above the parties as much as possible. The wish for the continuation of the commission (PAVEM 2) was tackled. With Princess Máxima, the Royal House has gold in its hands. But the Royal House has no control over the context of that gold, no matter how hard it tries. What does that mean for Princess Máxima’s future?

d8.jpg

'In Argentina still girls are born with the knowledge that they once wants to marry a rich or important man’, says Marc van der Linden, ‘who also have that ambition because they want to mean something in the world. And Princess Máxima is doing that now. In principle the doors of the White House will open for her, if she wants. You must find that also nicely.’ Máxima Zorreguieta did not marry the Prince of Orange by chance, is what Marc van der Linden wants to say. She wants to propose and to do something. And she cán do something: see her activities on micro-credits. She also enjoys the attention, so state the photographers who follow her. But is she allowed to enjoy all this?

d8.jpg

Princess Máxima is skilfull enough to enforce chances and opportunities. Even when this would fail, it is unthinkable that she would succeed her father-in-law, the late Prince Claus. Whose tragedy lies in a testifying sentence showing his superior understated feel for irony (spoken at the opening of the new headquarters of ABN AMRO-Bank in Amsterdam): ‘Ladies and gentlemen, now I want to go to my core business: the cutting of a ribbon.'

Last edited:
Thank you for the interesting article, Henri M. Maxima always seemed very smart and capable to me (looking at her past financial position, as well as her interviews and conduct since then). My thoughts about WA's intellect were not quite as high, quite frankly. But this article makes the pair seem more like intellectual equals, as well as open to intellectual discussions with others who (generally) function at a high level. Interestintg insight into these 2 on a personal level.

I admire their communication skills, openness for taking the initiative in opening the dialogue with influential decision-makers. Royalty have unique access to politicans but I don't usually hear them using that position in such a constructive way. As people interested in the present and future Netherlands, it's nice to hear they get around a dinner table and talk about the issues.

Thank you very much Henri M:flowers: Its nice for us who do not understand dutch to read something deeper than hello and exaptica articles, much appreaciated. Maxima certainly is an asset to her spouse

A very interesting article! Maxima would make a wonderful queen one day. She seems to have all the assets.

Kelly said:
A very interesting article! Maxima would make a wonderful queen one day. She seems to have all the assets.

I agree. Thank you so much for posting that article, Henri. I think Maxima has a unique set of talents -- both intellectual and social smarts, and a generous heart -- and that should take her a long way. I enjoy following her and will continue to and articles such as this are very helpful toward rounding out my understanding of who she/they is/are. Thanks again.

Thank you for translating the article, Henri! :flowers:
I remember reading it several months ago, but I totally forgot about it. It's a nice article. I think it's great that W-A and Maxima are meeting in an informal way with politicians of their own age, btw. They just have to work together in next few years, so dining with them is a smart move, imo. ;)

It's nice to see Maxima portrayed as a woman of the world who uses her role within the Royal Family to her family's best advantage. She'll make a wonderful example for her daughters to follow. Thank you for the translation! We in America rarely hear anything about royalty outside of the BRF, unless there's some scandal or major event.

janos614 said:
It's nice to see Maxima portrayed as a woman of the world who uses her role within the Royal Family to her family's best advantage. She'll make a wonderful example for her daughters to follow. Thank you for the translation! We in America rarely hear anything about royalty outside of the BRF, unless there's some scandal or major event.

This is very true. I was really suprised/confused when I read the rumour that Q Beatrix thought Maxima "wasn't strong enough" to marry into the Royal House because she's always appeared to be quite the opposite!
I think she's very savy and knows exactly whats she's doing.;)

SASSY said:
This is very true. I was really suprised/confused when I read the rumour that Q Beatrix thought Maxima "wasn't strong enough" to marry into the Royal House because she's always appeared to be quite the opposite!
I think she's very savy and knows exactly whats she's doing.;)

It took me awhile to figure her out, but she doesn't strike me as a golddigger. I think she is one of the most genuine crown princesses out there- she has far more patience for the job than I would, that's for sure. I doubt she could smile that widely when greeting the public unless she means it, and if she doesn't, she's an excellent actress. But she really looks genuinely pleased to be wherever she is. And yes, the tradeoff to having to smile so much is becoming queen someday, but I think a CP has to put up with too much in the process to not want to be there unless she's in love.

ap3 said:
I admire their communication skills, openness for taking the initiative in opening the dialogue with influential decision-makers.
I admire their ability to listen to the best of PR strategists!

ap3 said:
Royalty have unique access to politicans but I don't usually hear them using that position in such a constructive way.
Or, in such a cleverly planned and orchestrated and strategized way. This is a clever PR trick they use to influence exactly those politicians who don't really warm for the concept of the monarchy.

If Maxima realized anything it probably would be that Alexander on his own isnt exactly the most inspiring future monarchs, not to the person on the street, that is. That he needs all the plotting this article points out they do.

janos614 said:
It took me awhile to figure her out, but she doesn't strike me as a golddigger. I think she is one of the most genuine crown princesses out there
You sure you read the article? ;)
Maxima there is again confirmed as someone who knows <exactly> what she wants. Think she would have been as charmed by Willem Alexander's blond eighties hairdo if he'd been employed as a plummer, bar a trust fund and a throne? Think again.
This is the kind of girl, and the article underlines this, who was <brought up> with the (unspoken, but nevertheless very present) goal of marrying someone who could add to their prestige and bank account. I used to live and work in New York, and believe me, there are thousands of Maxima's in New York trying to get into the best of circles in order to find the best possible (read: wealthiest) husband.
We're talking about a woman here who so overshadowed her poor groom at her wedding that it is hard to remember he was even there.

And those dinners...they want and take the opportunity to influence, that's all. While I adore Queen Beatrix and quite like Laurentien and Constantijn, I am a bit sceptical about Willem Alexander and Maxima, because she strikes me as someone more like Evita than, say, Marilene. Evita bettered herself and her position and gained influence through marrying a powerful husband, in a cooly steely focused way. I see Maxima in not much of a different light, sorry folks who are choosing to drink the koolaid on this woman, I just see her as I've come across so many others of her sort when in New York.:sad:

Henri, that is one very interesting article you posted. Thanks for the translation, that was a lot of work for you to do for us so we could read it. :)

That's why I mentioned the possibility in a previous post that she might be a very good actress, because she has me pretty much taken in. :lol: But seriously, that article was the first that I'd seen that mentions her as someone who is driven enough to get what she wants, so I guess I have somebackground reading to do.

janos614 said:
That's why I mentioned the possibility in a previous post that she might be a very good actress, because she has me pretty much taken in. :lol: But seriously, that article was the first that I'd seen that mentions her as someone who is driven enough to get what she wants, so I guess I have somebackground reading to do.
But you know what, whatever her motives for marrying Alexandre, that doesn't mean she can't enjoy and be good at her current duties, quite the contrary. If becoming a princess was what she set out to be, that probably was because she was convinced it was the right job for her! Which on many many accounts, it is, at times I feel she is genuine, also at times I feel she's disingeneous, which isn't necessarily bad.
It's just that I never warmed up to her because of the interview before her marriage, in which she announced that the findings of a commission, (which were that her father <had> to have had knowledge of the disappearance of a number of people during the Videla regime he was an agricultural minister at) was "just an opinion." From a PR perspective, a disastrous thing to say, yet because Maxima is goodlooking and charming, the Dutch didn't seem to mind to get a blatant social climber as a queen, but it made me quite uncomfortable. Again, I think M. does a good job as a princess, but I also do think she very focusedly set out to get to this position with all means possible.

princess olga said:
Maxima there is again confirmed as someone who knows <exactly> what she wants. Think she would have been as charmed by Willem Alexander's blond eighties hairdo if he'd been employed as a plummer, bar a trust fund and a throne? Think again.
This is the kind of girl, and the article underlines this, who was <brought up> with the (unspoken, but nevertheless very present) goal of marrying someone who could add to their prestige and bank account. I used to live and work in New York, and believe me, there are thousands of Maxima's in New York trying to get into the best of circles in order to find the best possible (read: wealthiest) husband.
We're talking about a woman here who so overshadowed her poor groom at her wedding that it is hard to remember he was even there.

I agree with you. I have to admit that I do not care for her either. I think its because she acts so boisterous (sp?), almost like a bull in a china shop. She is supposed to be a Queen, not a nightclub singer!

I get tired of seeing her throat (almost) when she is laughing.....

Its interesting that you caught the point that she was raised to marry well. Personally, I cannot see anything attractive in Willem. In fact, out of all the Crown Princes, he seems the blahest. So you wonder why a brilliant, intelligent woman would be attracted to him.

Think of the contrast with the Crown Princess Masako. She is class to her fingernails. A perfect Royal. She is regal and carries herself with dignity. Can you really see that in Maxima?

This is just my opinion and I have tried to be kind in what I have said. Honestly!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
tenngirl said:
Think of the contrast with the Crown Princess Masako. She is class to her fingernails. A perfect Royal. She is regal and carries herself with dignity. Can you really see that in Maxima?

Yes, I can see that in Princess Máxima. She is a lady of extremes: she can outshine any Queen or Empress with regalness. And she has done so. On State Visits you see a total different Princess Máxima. In Argentine she met the President and the Mayor in a sublime outfit, and with an attitude showing that she was every inch The Princess of Orange, a member of one of Europe's most illustrious dynasties and a future Queen.

When you see her walking during State Visits or during royal gatherings, you see her body language changing. Her head is straight up, her clothes are the most formal, hofdames and uniformed aides behind her. Every inch a Princess. I think we remember her appearance at the Teatro Colón in Buenos Aires, or her stylish and poised presence in Thailand or the very 'Jackie O.'-gown with long elbow-gloves she worn recently during a banquet in Belgium. Her appearance combined with the dazzling Orange-Nassau jewelry, the grand pageantry the Dutch can provide and the perfect organized royal Court often shows a most serious and regal Princess Máxima. On covers you often only see a big smile. That sells. But this is not what we see on television.

But the Dutch simply have a special relationship with their royal family. They get up and they sleep in with the Orange-Nassaus. For more than 600 years they are the premier family in the Netherlands (also including Belgium and Luxembourg). The Dutch do not want to see their royal family captured in an inhuman protocol. We have always seen Princess Beatrix smiling from ear to ear or showing all her teeth indeed. She was nicknamed Prinses Glimlach (Princess Smile) before she became Queen. Now the situation is totally different. The kingship has surrounded the once so joyous and outgoing Princess Beatrix. It is as if she feels the weight of the ermine mantle. As if she feels the prying eyes of all the endless portraits of her illustrious ancestors when she walks through the palaces and castles. And of course as a Queen she received quite much influence in politics (I think the Netherlands allows their Sovereign the most political influence from all European monarchs).

For so far Princess Máxima's outgoing and extravert style, her 10.000 megawatt smile and her vibrance has made her breaking all-time highs in approval and popularity ratings. The Máximania ain't over yet, in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
tenngirl said:
Personally, I cannot see anything attractive in Willem. In fact, out of all the Crown Princes, he seems the blahest. So you wonder why a brilliant, intelligent woman would be attracted to him.

What is attractive in Prince Willem-Alexander?

He is the Heir to a fortune. He is gives her access to centuries old palaces, castles, estates. He provides her dazzling diamonds, rubies, pearls, emeralds, sapphires once worn by Stuarts, Yorks, Romanovs, etc. He makes her a housewife with one of the finest porcelain, gold-, silver- and crystalware collections in the world. He surrounds her with dozens of impeccably uniformed footmen. He lets her drive in bulletfree extended royalblue Volvo limousines with chauffeur. He makes her a Princess in her own right, with her own income, her own arms, her own personal standard, her own staff. He makes her free flying in private planes from Buenos Aires to Amsterdam v.v. He makes her dazzle amidst the high and the mighty of this world.

That is what is so attractive to Prince Willem-Alexander.

Oh yes: he is a loving and a caring husband. He is the most easy-going, laidback and goodnatured man you can imagine. He is devoted to his wife and his two daughters. Maybe we must not forget this too.

:flowers:

Last edited:
princess olga said:
It's just that I never warmed up to her because of the interview before her marriage, in which she announced that the findings of a commission, (which were that her father <had> to have had knowledge of the disappearance of a number of people during the Videla regime he was an agricultural minister at) was "just an opinion."

Actually miss Zorreguieta never said that. We have never heard her voice until the engagment. She kept her lips on each other and never spoke any word. (Which must have made a good impression on Queen Beatrix).

It was Prince Willem-Alexander who exactly said these words: "That is one opinon. There are other opinions as well."

princess olga said:
But you know what, whatever her motives for marrying Alexandre, that doesn't mean she can't enjoy and be good at her current duties, quite the contrary. If becoming a princess was what she set out to be, that probably was because she was convinced it was the right job for her! Which on many many accounts, it is, at times I feel she is genuine, also at times I feel she's disingeneous, which isn't necessarily bad.
It's just that I never warmed up to her because of the interview before her marriage, in which she announced that the findings of a commission, (which were that her father <had> to have had knowledge of the disappearance of a number of people during the Videla regime he was an agricultural minister at) was "just an opinion." From a PR perspective, a disastrous thing to say, yet because Maxima is goodlooking and charming, the Dutch didn't seem to mind to get a blatant social climber as a queen, but it made me quite uncomfortable. Again, I think M. does a good job as a princess, but I also do think she very focusedly set out to get to this position with all means possible.

It was the Prince of Orange who said ´that is one opinion´(he did not add the ´just´). This caused some upheaval and ended up with with the prince visiting the prime minister (where he probably got a firm reprimand).

Maxima never commented on this commission. She spoke about the Videla regime during the press conference following the engagement announcement and she said that that period pains her and makes her said. She disaproved (with strong words) of the Videla regime BUT she said that she believed her father that he had no knowledge if the disappearances. Though we can argue wherther that is naive or not, I think we can not blame Maxima for believing her father.
I want to stress again that Maxima never said anything about ´just´ an opinion.

You are basing your claim of ´blatent social climber´ on personal experiences that most people do not have, so I do not think most Dutchmen share your opinion (of Maxima being a blatent social climber). Let alone that most Dutch people ´didn´t seem to mind to get a blatant social climber as a queen´.

Apart from that I find it a bit hard to imagine a succesfull New-York banker daydreaming of becoming crownprincess of The Netherlands, I think they have better things to do than that. There is no evidence that she was set out to become crownprincess, which again I think is not something which many adult women with a life would do. That she wouldn´t have married a plumber doesn´t say a thing. Most people marry people from the same socio-economic (and educational) background, and Maxima isn´t exactly a plumbersdaughter (not that I have anything against plumbers btw, I just use it as an example here).

I am rather pleased that she enjoys her present duties, so I do not see that as a negative thing.

--

on a different note, why keeps this Marc van der Linden popping up in articles. Since when is it aceptable for reliable magazines to quote and trust the opinion of a gossip journalist like him?

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
What is attractive in Prince Willem-Alexander?

He is the Heir to an immense fortune. He is gives her access to centuries old palaces, castles, estates. He provides her dazzling diamonds, rubies, pearls, emeralds, sapphires once worn by Stuarts, Yorks, Romanovs, etc. He makes her a housewife with one of the finest porcelain, gold-, silver- and crystalware collections in the world. He surrounds her with dozens of impeccably uniformed footmen. He lets her drive in bulletfree extended royalblue Volvo limousines with chauffeur. He makes her a Princess in her own right, with her own income, her own arms, her own personal standard, her own staff. He makes her free flying in private planes from Buenos Aires to Amsterdam v.v. He makes her dazzle amidst the high and the mighty of this world.

That is what is so attractive to Prince Willem-Alexander.

Oh yes: he is a loving and a caring husband. He is the most easy-going, laidback and goodnatured man you can imagine. He is devoted to his wife and his two daughters. Maybe we must not forget this too.

:flowers:

I get a bit annoyed by people (not only here, I just want to get it of my chest now) always making remarks about the appearance of the Crwonprince. Although I agree he is no Brad Pitt, he isn´t exactly the hunchback of the Notre Dame either. He is rather common looking but not extrordinairy ugly/badlooking. Add to that that the prince is a very friendly man, well-informed these days, not as stupid as some people wants us to believe, rather funny, caring etc and I think there is quite enough that makes him attractive to some women.

The vast Orange-Nassau fortune is highly overvalued, though he isn´t a pauper either. Anyway, public opinion will keep him and his wife from overspending anyway.

tenngirl said:
I agree with you. I have to admit that I do not care for her either. I think its because she acts so boisterous (sp?), almost like a bull in a china shop. She is supposed to be a Queen, not a nightclub singer!

I get tired of seeing her throat (almost) when she is laughing.....

Its interesting that you caught the point that she was raised to marry well. Personally, I cannot see anything attractive in Willem. In fact, out of all the Crown Princes, he seems the blahest. So you wonder why a brilliant, intelligent woman would be attracted to him.

This is just my opinion and I have tried to be kind in what I have said. Honestly!:cool:

As Henri said, it is the throat-picture that gets published, while most of the time she has her mouth shut.

Though I like princess Masako and sympathise with her illness (as I share it) we can hardly call somebody who refrained from imperial duties for several years ´a perfect royal´.

I think Maxima is perfect for The Netherlands, as people here like spontanious people (for example Mathilde wouldn´t have worked here, neither would Maxima in Belgium). People like her for who she is and are glad that she did not change her personality after marrying the Prince of Orange.

I have to add, like Henri, that there is more to Maxima then an exhuberant smile. I remember seeing a report on her, while she visited female juvenile delinquents. One would expect such a upper-class Argentinian girl to be a bit reserved etc. But she broke the ice with the girls immediately, made them feel at ease, was friendly, understanding, firm and encouraging. After a while the girls totally forgot they were talking to an HRH but talked & told her all. Maxima encouraged them to talk about there future and encouraged them (practically to) to do something usefull with their lives in the future. The programme filmed the girls after the Princess left and they were all glowing and said they never expected such a woman to be genuinely interested in them. That human electrifying side is Maxima to...

princess olga said:
How is that differnet from the other women marrying their Princes, which of them would have left all they worked for if their husband was a plumber (I feel like we are mocking a very honest and respectable profession here:wacko: ) I dont think the list would be very long. Just because they appear more shy and not so outgoing than Maxima, and might not so apprantly enjoy the attention as Maxima does, or make some very prim and proper "I fell in love with the person, not the Prince(ss) frases in an interveiw?

Any person with two braincells would understand what marrying a Crown Prince(ss) ment in terms of giving up a career and independance and privacy, but still they chose to go along with their relationships instead of breaking it of before it became to serious, I dont remember anyone beeing on paper saying it was love at first sight (except Prince Philippe I think). Then surly the perks, position and wealth that came along with a nice man (woman) was not hard to imagine for them either.

And I dont think Willem Alexander is that bland, he seems like a good natured man with lots of humor even if he is not the most athletic of men. And I clearly remember him beeing at his wedding:lol: But I do agree with the aritcle that his good sides has been more highlighted since he married, he obiously adores his wife and daughters and that always gives extra point in any female book:wub: and I much prefer seeing a smiley and warm royal enjoying her duties, connection with those she meets, than one who looks bored or allof. I also like that she has continued with her interest in micro finance as it is so close to her education which gives her a cetain athortiy on the issue, and makes her more credible to me.

Last edited:
Larzen said:
And I clearly remember him beeing at his wedding:lol:

I remember that wedding, too and how very much in love the couple appeared. I remember how the prince held hands with Maxima and how sweet that was. The prince radiated genuine love, pride and happiness - yes, he was very much there and wanted to be there.

As for the boisterous side of Maxima - I think this is exactly what the prince enjoys. He appears more like a "farmboy" than a prince at times and she is the perfect companion for him. I imagine them laughing all the time when they are together in private. :)

Last edited:
Marengo said:
As Henri said, it is the throat-picture that gets published, while most of the time she has her mouth shut.
Well and even if she was running around with her mouth open all the time I don't think that people would mind. Dutchies are very noisy people themselves (I mean I lived in Paris and when I was strolling through the subway I always heard Dutch tourists above all the murmur of the Parisiens and believe me, this is very characteristic for Dutch people, though some of you might disagree :lol:) and I think they really like Maxima's personality (as do I, to be honest). We're not a country of regal Majesties, we're a country of queens on bikes and I think most people are glad that the princess with a smile came back to us, because Beatrix was becoming far to regal for our taste the last few years. (I'm generalizing of course, but I think that's just the way a lot of common people see it. I myself like Bea's style and I think she and her hair are doing a magnificent job.:ROFLMAO:)

I think when it comes to regalness, Henri definitely is right. I think Maxima can outshine them all, but when she's with the people (like on Queen's Day) she can let things go and behave in a way that makes her loved by almost every Dutchman.

Is she playing all this? Well, she might be, we don't know. But if she's playing it and is only going for the golden pot at the end of the rainbow she's doing it in a most terrific way. :lol:

Maxie said:
I think when it comes to regalness, Henri definitely is right. I think Maxima can outshine them all, but when she's with the people (like on Queen's Day) she can let things go and behave in a way that makes her loved by almost every Dutchman.

Is she playing all this? Well, she might be, we don't know. But if she's playing it and is only going for the golden pot at the end of the rainbow she's doing it in a most terrific way. :lol:
That what I like from Maxima (beside she also seems quiet smart and doing more than just a cutting ribon). I think she just want to be what she is, a royal and a human being, and she doesn't seem trying to act like "a very perfect princess in fairy tale" all the time and with that it seems she has won the Dutch heart:).

Marengo said:
You are basing your claim of ´blatent social climber´ on personal experiences that most people do not have, so I do not think most Dutchmen share your opinion (of Maxima being a blatent social climber). Let alone that most Dutch people ´didn´t seem to mind to get a blatant social climber as a queen´.
Look, I have nothing against social climbers per se, if it makes them happy, good for them. Whether or not Maxima falls into that category, the thing that I dislike is when people like her are being so disingeneous about the fact that by most accounts, they 'married up'.

Because I'm such a staunch admirer of Alexander's mother, I've tried and tried to like Maxima equally, which, granted, is not fair perhaps.

For starters, I liked the press conference re. the engagement in 2001. But the interview prior to their wedding, just like with Friso and Mabel's interview a few years later, that's where they lost me frankly. Because in that interview, Maxima and WA came across, to me, as disingeneous to a fault.
For example, Maxima contended that when her parents learned the identity of her then new boyfriend, and that he was a crown prince, she says they then immediately flew from Argentina to New York where Maxima then lived, to try to talk her out of it! According to Maxima. Then, if I remember correctly, Alexander piped in that he, too, could understand people wouldn't necessarily be happy if their daughter presented a future son in law like him. Why oh why do I just not buy such a statement?

Let's face it, for any (Argentinian) girl, a European crown prince is, to put it mildly, quite the catch. Which is fine, but then, why be so very very disingeneous about that? And pretend that in fact, your parents weren't very happy with your brining home a prince, when to all appearances, this girl was brought up to marry someone presentable. I mean, come on.

That's just the thing with this couple: if they'd have refrained from comments like these, I'd applaud them left and right, whenever and wherever they support the Queen.

Marengo said:
I am rather pleased that she enjoys her present duties, so I do not see that as a negative thing.
Same here and I said that in my former post.

--

Marengo said:
on a different note, why keeps this Marc van der Linden popping up in articles. Since when is it aceptable for reliable magazines to quote and trust the opinion of a gossip journalist like him?
I couldn't agree more. Dont' they have better sources than a third-rate gossip journalist?!

princess olga said:
Because in that interview, Maxima and WA came across, to me, as disingeneous to a fault.
For example, Maxima contended that when her parents learned the identity of her then new boyfriend, and that he was a crown prince, she says they then immediately flew from Argentina to New York where Maxima then lived, to try to talk her out of it! According to Maxima. Then, if I remember correctly, Alexander piped in that he, too, could understand people wouldn't necessarily be happy if their daughter presented a future son in law like him. Why oh why do I just not buy such a statement?

I have honestly no idea but if you can live with that fact, it's okay, isn't it? ;)
I OTOH really can imagine that there are parents who doesn't want their well-educated well-off daughter to marry into a Royal house on another continent. Maybe they had harboured secret hopes of Maxima marrying a rich guy who was living next door to them? Where they could see their grandchildren more often then they can today?

Maybe for Argentinian parents a blond Dutchman is not a prize? Or maybe her father had done quite some work in secret to reestablish himself in Argentinian society and did not want a rehashing of his past by the international media (as it happened to him after it became known who Maxima was)? There are lots of reasons why parents do not like the idea of their daughter marrying a foreigner - even if he is a prince.

thanks so much henri m for translating the article for us! it's definetely really interesting. i have always really admired maxima and i think she will be a great queen, just as she is a wonderful princess now.

The story is that the Prince of Orange was invited for one of the tents at the Feria de Abril in Sevilla (Spain). That was in 1999.

When the Prince finally entered the tent, in an enclosed (VIP)-part of the terrain, he thought he could relax a bit, but he became irritated by a blonde lady making pictures in the tent. Later he became intrigued by that quite charismatic lady. Via-via he came in contact with her and he asked for her adress (which was in Chelsea, New York).

Apparently for months Máxima was not aware at all who 'Alexander' (as she calls him) really was. Even when she found it out, she thought 'a prince or something in Holland, Europe' and could not make a real imagination of it. For people in Argentina and America, things like a royal family are quite something far-away and exotic.

The Prince and Máxima visited her parents in Buenos Aires, but they told the parents the Prince was 'a lawyer in Holland'. When it became more serious she more and more realized the impact of his royal status. For sure when she for the first time arrived in the Netherlands and saw the palaces of her friend's parents, the guards outside, the limousines. She stumbled from the one amazement into the other.

Princess Máxima herself publicly described it as 'bizarre'. The whole story has the undertone of 'ach ja... a prince or something you know' and she had NO idea what it really meant. I think the Princess is no intial gold digger but for sure the unimagineable privileges and circumstances of her friend will have helped her decision to say 'yes' to his proposal. Before the Prince's proposal, Máxima was invited to India, with the whole royal family (only Juliana remained home) to get known to each other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom