Analysis of Máxima

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Henri M has so generously supplied pics of Maxima smiling regally so to speak...I think its safe to assume that Maxima when on enagements shows a variety of emotions and its up to the publisher/editor to decide which ones will appear in print. Because we subscribe to the forums, we are lucky that we get a variety of shots. If you just had access to Royaty or Majesty magazines (for example) they wouldn't show all the pics taken at an engagement. They might just show the shot of Maxima that many people (well apparently not all) love.

I think that if one would count all the pics on which Maxima looks serious it would be evident that she's serious at least half of the time. So it's just what you want to see, isn't it? :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
YOu usually see the serious picture of the cover of german magazines when they want to tell the stories of Maximas heartache, Beatrix hates MAxima, Maxima and Willem Alexander to divorce and you see the "touncil pictures":lol: when they tell us she is expecting for the umptieth time

BTW when Maxima was in Sverre Magnus christening one of the reporters wrote in an article how lovely she was and how she made extra care to wave and smile to the people who was standing out in the cold when she left (nothing like that written on the other royals attending, not even Victoria who is quite popular in Norway) Also in the one of the wedding issues from F and Ms wedding (think it was BilledBladet) a reporter again writes what a symphatetic woman she is, even is she is not amongs the most famous royals in scandinavia. Also the swedish press was taken with her appearance during Carl Gustavs birthday (and they usually have grave problems looking beyond Madeleine:wacko: )

princess olga said:
This is off topic but Amalia's mischievous gene may well stem from her father! In their younger days, Alexander and his brothers were very mischievous. Wish I had a link to hilarious footage of a young Constantijn deliberately kicking a soccer ball into a small crowd of reporters, who had gathered at their vacation spot for a photo shoot! And a then princess Beatrix who couldn't help smiling as she reprimanded her youngest. All boys turned out fine, so Amalia will in all likelyhood too.

Marengo I do believe it, after all, Maxima does seem to have a gregarious attitude so that is a definite plus. The other thing I do applaud about her is her attempt to learn the Dutch language as quick as she could. Again if it hadn't been some of the things she (and Alexander) said in a few interviews that really made me roll my eyes from here to Tokio, I might have a different opinion. After all, I'm not a strict defender of the concept of monarchy per se, and yet I can't help but adore Beatrix, who in my view personifies the perfect monarch.

Well, I was in a bad mood when I posted what I posted yesterday, though I still agree with what i meant to say I could have put it in a more pleasant manner. I probably sensed the loss AFC Ajax would suffer that evening against FC Copenhagen which ruined my mood even further ;)

Anyway, I remember film footage of Willem-Alexander shooting elastics at photographers during old-style Queensday and shouting at a photoshoot somewhere ´Nederlandse pers oprotten´ (dutch press, piss of).
Let´s hope that Catharina-Amalia won´t be to much of a tomboy then, though it would be funny to see her throwing her kitchenset to that horrible reporter Peter van der Vorst (the Queen can join in as far as I care).

For me Queen Beatrix is the perfect monarch indeed, but I have to say that especially earlier in her kingship for many she lacked the warm common touch which is so much appreciated in The Netherlands.
I know (or assume to know) that HM is a warm and caring person but somewhere during her kingship she lost that image for a large part. That had something to do with her style of reigning and with the character of the Dutch people in general who like their society as egalitarian as possible. Also the apparent breach that her style formed with that of Queen Juliana (who was adored by most) ´helped´ this image further, as did her (what I believe to be) shy character.

So she was professional, perfect etc, but many people did not get warm feelings when they thought of her. The court acknowledged the problem and around 2000 they opted for an approach to make her seem more as the person that she is. HM seems much more relaxed again and clearly adores her sons, grandchildren and daughters-in-law. Even the Margarita-thing did not harm her image in any way, quite the opposite.

I have to admit that untill a few years ago my opinion of the crownprince wasn´t very high. But even before his engagement he seemed to be more mature, more engaged and serious (his involvment in watermanagment for example). After his engagement and marriage IMO he seemed to have ´grown´ to, and I am sure he will make a good King for our country in due time, who will probably balance his mothers regal style with Juliana´s common touch. He seems to be able to connect with people very easily, which is a good thing as the Dutch don´t like distant royals.

Maxima is an immense asset to the dutch monarchy IMO. Personally I prefer a more serene type like Mathilde but after getting used to Maxima I appreciate her more and more. Before and during most of her engagement she was to me that blonde social-climbing party bimbo from Buenos Aires. But once I saw her ´on duty´ or in interviews I had to adjust my opinion of her drastically (something which I rarely do, especially about people).

She can connect with people in a way which I haven´t seen with any (dutch) royal before, a thing which is widely appreciated in the Netherlands. Apart from that she seems to have a sense of direction, a goal. She stands for what she believes in, like microcredits and the position of immigrant women in The Netherlands. Instead of just naming a few cliches on these subjects she appears to be very involved in interviews and knows a lot about the subjects. So in that way I think she is a good student of Beatrix who also thinks that the content should be more important then short-lived popularity.

Add to that the fondness that HM seems to have for her (which says a lot as I think the Queen is a wise woman), the way she and the crownprince seem to be raising their daughters etc. In overall I think she is a talented woman and the Prince of Orange could have done a lot worse. She and the Crownprince will not be able to immediately fill the gap that HM will leave after an eventual abdication (like it took some time for Beatrix to fill that one her mother left), but over time I think they will do a great job, with their OWN style.

I really cant believe that there are people that complain becuase she has a beautiful big smile!!

Henri M. said:
I think the Princess is no intial gold digger but for sure the unimagineable privileges and circumstances of her friend will have helped her decision to say 'yes' to his proposal.

I totally agree to this!! :flowers:
And I really believe they were very in love, thinking of the cloudy and fuzzy pictures of them dancing/drinking/hugging..:wub: (That was years ago ofcourse)

Thanks for the article, very interesting!

Yoik. Maxima is by far the least regal-looking of the princesses.

Edit Marengo: This post was originally placed at Maxima's Current Events part 5, which is why you will not find afro1920's post here. Olga's remark started a discussion which was moved to this place, which is more appropriate.

afro1920 said:
It is a great look for her. Also, I agree with another poster that she is very natural in this setting. No wonder Willem-Alexander snapped her up. She also seems to have a nice, but not too close relationship with the Holland populace. Is this true for the more experienced royal watchers?
The Dutch just adore her. she's currently more popular with the Dutch than the queen.

princess olga said:
The Dutch just adore her. she's currently more popular with the Dutch than the queen.

Come on. She is just a celeb for most of the Dutch people. No one sees her a as a Royal Highness.

Tinika said:
Yoik. Maxima is by far the least regal-looking of the princesses.

I agree. She really has declined in her appearance.

Henri M. said:
I agree. She really has declined in her appearance.

i agree as well, although she has very good days still.

as long as her brains don't shrink, it's ok...I think that they are her most valued talent.

Henri M. said:
Come on. She is just a celeb for most of the Dutch people. No one sees her a as a Royal Highness.

That's not true. :ermm: Perhaps in your opinion, but most Dutchies see her as their princess and future Queen.

saphills said:
as long as her brains don't shrink, it's ok...I think that they are her most valued talent.

and i totally agree with that statement as well... :wub:

Henri M. said:

Perhaps you can refrain from projecting your own feelings about Maxima on the entire Dutch population. Although to some she is just a celebrity (like any other royal will be to some), IMHO most see her as much more then that.
She is seen more as a Royal Highness then for example born HRH's like HRH Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma or even then her brother-in-law HRH Prince Friso.

Aren't you doing exactly the same, what you blame me for? 'Projecting your own feelings about Máxima on the entire Dutch population'?

I stated she is mainly just a celeb. You state 'most see her much more than that'. And then you even tell how most people do see Princess Margarita or Prince Friso....

we all know that here in Holland, Maxima is the most popular Royal of all Dutch Royals.. So it is quiet obvious that Maxima is a very 'Royal Highness' :p

But back on topic!
I would love to see Maxima or any other princess in real life! And it is a pity we could not see some pics from the second day in Halifax.. :(

It's interesting to listen to your opinions. I never thought about Princess Maxima as a simple Celebrity...

Marengo, I was reading your last post with great interest because Idon't know very well the Dutch Monarchy and its actors from the Quueen to the Crownprince and Maxima and I share part of your opinion about Maxima.

If at the begining, I thaught she was a beautiful spoiled woman - who didn't dress her very well- now, mainly after to have heard her voice and saw some pics when she is working in internantional meetings, I found her very interesting.

If I don't like very much her way to laugh or to be a little too expansive because I don't think it's a a dutch usual behaviour - but why not?- I find her intelectual qualities very impressive and her mother feelings so charming.

It's a woman of our times who is abble to be mother in the same time she is working and she seems to have a great conception of her role.

I stay allways on my idea that some of her dresses aren't at my taste - mainly her hats-but I think that generally speaking the dutch people are lucky to have a crownprincess who knows the financial difficulties of the world.

Last edited:
Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti is a fantastic woman. She lightens up a room when she enters it. Her 10.000 megawatt smile is infectuous. She looks like a wonderful and caring mom to her two daughters.

When the Prince of Orange came home with her, I was very disappointed. I really hoped the Prince would date someone like Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz. But at least I was happy he did not fell in love with an unwed mother like in Norway.

I have given Máxima again and again the chance to take away my disappointment and scepticism. But she is often too messy, too loud, too unpolished, too unelegant, too clumsy. God knows she is a fantastic person. But for me she is no Princess of Orange.

Her public performances have declined in the last months. The Australian and New Zealand-trip, so hyped in the media, phew.... Máxima was a walking disgrace. That her sister-in-law Laurentien might have a strange taste, okay. But Máxima... she is the future Queen, the Princess of Orange, for God's sake. I think that besides the Princess of Wales, no any other Princess has such a budget, staff and other means to her display as the Princess of Orange. She does nothing with it. Eternal shame.

:neutral:

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
Seriously? I thought poll after poll showed the Dutch like her more than they like the queen? Then again, you do have a point here: the line of royals vs. celebs is getting blurred there, which makes sense overall. What is a royal but a government-sponsored celeb, in a way?

Henri M. said:
I have given Máxima again and again the chance to take away my disappointment and scepticism. But she is often too messy, too loud, too unpolished, too unelegant, too clumsy. God knows she is a fantastic person. But for me she is no Princess of Orange.

Her public performances have declined in the last months. The Australian and New Zealand-trip, so hyped in the media, phew.... Máxima was a walking disgrace. That her sister-in-law Laurentien might have a strange taste, okay. But Máxima... she is the future Queen, the Princess of Orange, for God's sake. I think that besides the Princess of Wales, no any other Princess has such a budget, staff and other means to her display as the Princess of Orange. She does nothing with it. Eternal shame.

When I watched some interviews done in Australia/NZ with her I was actually the opposite of disappointed. Yes her hair was messy, which makes her look like an immature high school girl at times, but the content of her message was cohesive, to the point, diplomatic, and the content was spot-on. I'm the first person to be sceptical about Maxima, believe me, but I have found that when I look at the actual content of her message, she is definitely doing ok. In the looks department, sure, there is room for improvement. In that sense, a Mary or Mathilde she ain't. No inborn regalness if you will. Too bad she doesn't have the poise of Mathilde and her own well-working brain. That would be the ideal combo, but then again, it is what it is.

Henri M. said:
Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti is a fantastic woman. She lightens up a room when she enters it. Her 10.000 megawatt smile is infectuous.
when I first saw pictures of her and her smile, it sure seemed over the top to me, and fake fake fake. Now I'm thinking the woman may well just <be> this way.

Henri M. said:
When the Prince of Orange came home with her, I was very disappointed. I really hoped the Prince would date someone like Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz.
Ah, that makes two! :lol:

Henri M. said:

I do think there is hope there, if only, as Marengo pointed out, for the sheer fact this is a woman with a vision, and not a bad one at that. I've also noticed that what I first perceived as fake, namely her interest in people, is actually real, or it seems that way.

I do think she and her hubby often wanted to have their cake and eat it, big time, and they did! what with tons of vacations a year in the past, but I also think they are starting to step up to the plate and put in a reasonable amount of work for the generous 'uitkering' they receive from their country, for being its ambassadors. (they better! :lol:) So if they keep on trucking the way they're doing currently, they're doing quite well.

Last edited:
What do you mean with tons of vacations Princess_Olga? Are you referring to an article that apeared some years ago in the yellow-press (Prive if I recall correctly), who listed the holidays of the crownprincely couple. If so: 1) Most of the 'vacations' were just a weekend, 2) whatever they do in their own time is their own matter. As long as they are representing the country a fair number of times (as they are doing) I do not care how much holidays they have. 3) If that impression comes from 'Prive' I have to say that that is not the most reliable source.

I think that the reason Maxima apeared less in public in the beginning of her marriage then now is simply that she did what the court anounced: orientate herself on dutch society, mosly behind the scenes. The Prince of Orange had a comparable amount of duties before his mariage to now IMO.

Henri M. said:
When the Prince of Orange came home with her, I was very disappointed. I really hoped the Prince would date someone like Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz. But at least I was happy he did not fell in love with an unwed mother like in Norway.

^

Why do you say she does not acts like a Princess of Orange?:huh: How should a Princess of Orange be???
So now tell me, why is Máxima popular in the Netherlands and in Latin America(especially in Argentina?)?

Princess Maxima said:
^

Why do you say she does not acts like a Princess of Orange?:huh: How should a Princess of Orange be???
So now tell me, why is Máxima popular in the Netherlands and in Latin America(especially in Argentina?)?

Popularity says nothing. Maradona is popular. Madonna is popular. Máxima is popular. They are popular because they belong to the happy few, to the rich and famous.

Maybe Máxima would even become more popular when she will sit on a bull and compete in a rodeo. That does not mean a Princess of Orange should do so. I can not explain it. It is simply how I think, what I feel and expect from those extremely privileged people who are one of the most premier families in our country for more than 600 years.

I love Maxima because she has retained her personality throughout her "princess" training. I can not imagine any event that she attends that is not brightened by her smile. She is also very bright and hardworking. William-Alexander pick a very suitable wife.

Excuse my ignorance, HenryM , but I don't really get it..
:huh:
I was reading through the "what's your opinion about Mary" thread and read several times that you admire the way Máxima behaves (e.g. in front of the camera) much better then Mary's...
Now I have to read that you don't like the way Máxima presents herself at all...
Can you please explain this to me. Thanks ;) :)

Princess Maxima said:
^

I don´t think Maxima is popular in Argentina,most of argentinians don´t care about her because they don´t care of royalty; i believe she´s respected, but there´s not a real interest for her.

Her_Majesty said:
Excuse my ignorance, HenryM , but I don't really get it..
:huh:
I was reading through the "what's your opinion about Mary" thread and read several times that you admire the way Máxima behaves (e.g. in front of the camera) much better then Mary's...
Now I have to read that you don't like the way Máxima presents herself at all...
Can you please explain this to me. Thanks ;) :)

No, I can not explain it. Máxima brings the worst in me since a few months. I feel she is a disgrace as a Princess of Orange. I wished we had Mathilde. The Belgians may keep Máxima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom