Various News and Discussions about Haakon and Mette-Marit

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An article from Norsk Ukeblad part five

Last but not least the happy ending;

Attachments

• The childrens princess part five.doc
    19 KB · Views: 253
LaMinka said:
ooh.. it was not finish. Finish now?

Yeah, now I'm done :p It took more space than I first thought so all in all it is five parts :eek: But still I think it's worth it (it has to be, giving the hours I've spent translating it :) )

Wonderful article! Thanks for posting it!

Thanks for translating KikkiB

(Kwanfan, love the name ;) )

Oppie said:
Thanks for translating KikkiB

(Kwanfan, love the name ;) )
Are you a fan of Michelle Kwan? I'm a diehard fan. Can't wait for skating season to start!

thanks kikkib for taking time to translate the article for us!

Thanks for a truly wonderful translation, KikkiB. Looking back on Mette-Marit's first years as a Crown Princess, boy, she was not very fortunate: the honeymoon in New York on September 11th, with a fear of flying, the pneumonia that followed the Salt Lake City Olympics, and just as she'd gotten out of the hospitals for that... she broke something and had to go back in.

The birth of Ingrid Alexandra, and the fact that she's become more confident in her role, really shows. What a difference some years make.

At the norwegian court the Ladys in waiting title was removed in september 2001. Only Princess Astrid, the Kings sister still has one. That does not mean that the royals go out alone for engagements, but it is usually called the more gender neutral "protocoll secretarys" the King and CP Haakon has Aide de Camps from the military with them, they wear uniforms

I dont think Mette-Marits assistant would be very happy about beeing called a lady in waiting, seeing that he is a man:D His name is Anders Flågen and he used to be a Haakon Aide de Camp from the military before he was hired at the Crown Princely Household. Here he is with Mette-Marit at some occations, I have put a red arrown on him as he keeps very much in the background and not as prominent as Marys lady in waiting but he does more or less the same job. Now it is not always Flågen that goes with her, sometimes there is someone else but he is most commonly seen with her, forinstance on her trip to Malawi (first pic). Cabinett secretary Berit Tversland who is one of the highest ranking women at the court very often accompany the Queen

For very formal occations like the Japanes statevisit Mette-Marit was accompanied by a lady from the court (green arrow) but I dont know her name.

(Pictures from colourpress, aftenposten and ob.no)

Here is Princess Astrids Lady in Waiting behind Princess Märtha Louise, you can see she wears a red ribbon on he jacket with Astrids monogram, the protocol secretarys or other court memebers dont wear theese as far as I know, I dont know why Astrid kept her lady in waiting, maybe she insisted:D When Princess Märtha Louise does royal duties she is accompanied by her secretary Mari Sørlie

fromfotomarktplatz

Last edited:
Haakon and Mette-Marit don't spend enough time with their children

I think that they (Haakon or Mette-marit) not spend much time with their kids, They just spend most of the time on royal duties, Cause' you don't see too many photos of CP and the kids,

but I don't know that's my opinion.....

photofan said:
I think that they (Haakon or Mette-marit) not spend much time with their kids, They just spend most of the time on royal duties, Cause' you don't see too many photos of CP and the kids,

:confused:

That's really just your opinion.
There are tons of pictures with their children but they are working parents like most common people. And when they are at home in the evenings they have surely better things to do than to take pictures for the public...

photofan said:

If you look in previous news threads on Haakon & Mette-Marit, you will see many pictures of them on vacation with Marius and Ingrid Alexandra. If you look in the Ingrid Alexandra news thread you will see photos of Marius and Ingrid Alexandra at Holmenkollen with Haakon & Mette-Marit. There are also photos of Haakon & Mette-Marit taking Ingrid Alexandra to watch one of Marius' soccer matches. Last Christmas the couple did a photo shoot with their children while making Christmas cookies. They did other photo shoots throughout the year. Both Ingrid and Marius attended Leah Isadora's christening. On Ingrid's first birthday there were photos of Haakon & Mette-Marit taking Marius and Ingrid sledding. In March, there were pictures of Mette-Marit and Haakon taking both kids skiing and sledding. Ingrid was with her mom and dad on the day that Mette-Marit's pregnancy was announced, and there were photos of Mette-Marit taking Ingrid to the zoo that day.The couple also took Ingrid to the royal weddings in both Spain and Jordan last year. Ingrid also went with her parents on their visit to Iceland last year.

I think they are with there kids as much if not more than most parents!

A funny article

I found this article (or part of an article) in a magazine, regarding CP Mette-Marit and the other Crown Princesses and Princesses in Europe. It's my translation.

Pros and cons of being a princess

Princesses
…get to meet their idols and other interesting celebreties.
…always have a limousine waiting.
…have no housing problems.
…get to wear a tiara and other expencive jewels to parties.
…have their own servants to handle the household.
…can shop in all the world’s most exlusive shops.
…don’t have to worry about household expenses.
…get to experience the world’s most exotic places.

Princesses
…are often under a lot of pressure.
…are always watched by the media and the public.
…risk “princess arm”.
…are stuck in a minute planed time table.
…can’t go anywhere without bodyguards.
…can find it hard to learn to know somebody in peace, and develop a good relationship to a man.

From Norwegian Allers issue no. 37, 2005.

Last edited:
There is an article at aftenposten.no which says that of all the monarchies in Europe, the Norwegian monarchy will be abolished first, mainly because of Mette-Marit. I couldn't read the article, though, as my IE crashed everytime I tried to open it, so I can't give you any other details.

What do you think. Will Mette-Marit be the ruin of the Norwegian monarchy?

Smilla said:
There is an article at aftenposten.no which says that of all the monarchies in Europe, the Norwegian monarchy will be abolished first, mainly because of Mette-Marit. I couldn't read the article, though, as my IE crashed everytime I tried to open it, so I can't give you any other details.

No. If the Norwegian monarchy is ruined, there will have to be a lot more than Mette-Marit's past behind it - especially since it is a thing of the past.

People predicted the Norwegian monarchy's downfall when Harald married Sonja. It's still there.

norwegianne said:
People predicted the Norwegian monarchy's downfall when Harald married Sonja. It's still there.
What a waste this would have been - Sonja makes a very good queen, doesn't she? The Norwegian royals seem to be such a sensible bunch, they're the least I would wish to see abolished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smilla said:

Here is the link: http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1131494.ece

As far as I have understood the journalist, Jaime Penafiel, who says these things, aren't the most serious and reliable journalists in Europe. I think he has said some things about Letizia too, that made people in Spain furious. He has at least been heavily discussed in this forum.

I don't think CP Mette-Marit will be the end of the Norwegian monarchy. I think it will go on for a couple more generations, slowly disolving untill the parliament decides that the monarchy has outlived its purpose. But as a royalist I hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime, otherwise I'd have to find another hobby :)

KikkiB said:
As far as I have understood the journalist, Jaime Penafiel, who says these things, aren't the most serious and reliable journalists in Europe.
Oh, James Penafiel, that explains a lot, then.Thanks for the information, KikkiB!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you doesn't have a topic you write about anything just to write (old story in new version).

magnik said:
If you doesn't have a topic you write about anything just to write (old story in new version).
The story of journalism.

magnik said:

total agree with you,

what Rubbish people print! cant see it happening myself,

Rubbish indeed, but considering the author it is not very surprising. That nasty man makes a habbit of bashing royals who are not as conservative as he is, I think he even makes nasty comments on Queen Sofia, which is almost impossible I would say.
If the Norwegian Monarchy disappears it has another reason then Mette-Marit, but more that the monarchy isn't as rooted in Norway as in other countries (only for 100 years).
For what it's worth: I was Mette-Marit sceptic in the beginning & for a long time but I have turned around and now I actually appreciate her, she is my favorite norwegian royal. I like her unaffected way of dealing with people, she seems very down-to-earth.

Marengo said:
Rubbish indeed, but considering the author it is not very surprising. That nasty man makes a habbit of bashing royals who are not as conservative as he is, I think he even makes nasty comments on Queen Sofia, which is almost impossible I would say.
If the Norwegian Monarchy disappears it has another reason then Mette-Marit, but more that the monarchy isn't as rooted in Norway as in other countries (only for 100 years).
For what it's worth: I was Mette-Marit sceptic in the beginning & for a long time but I have turned around and now I actually appreciate her, she is my favorite norwegian royal. I like her unaffected way of dealing with people, she seems very down-to-earth.

Just one comment, it is true that the present monarchy in Norway isn't more than 100 years old, but Norway has been a monarchy since around year 1000 A.D. either in its own right, or as a part of another monarchy (the unions with Denmark (1349-1814) and Sweden (1814-1905). So the monarchy in Norway, and the way we think about it, is as strong as other monarchies. Remember, the Belgian (since 1830) monarchy isn't that old either, when you compare it to others. And let alone the Spanish monarchy, which is even younger (only 30 years old).

In my opinion, you can't really depict the ending of a monarchy on its age, but rather of its strenght within the nation and the democratical development of that particular nation. I don't think the monarchy will stand or fall on the actions of its members (at least not only that) but a variety of things such as the development of the nation.

Could someone post a link to the article? I;d like to read it.

Hmm...I think I may have agreed a couple years ago but MM has just blown me away with what a good princess she's become. and I think the norwegian people see it too.

Weren't there are some other reasons the Norwegian monarchy has lost some respect?

I recall very expensive renovations a few years ago. anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom