Various News and Discussions about Haakon and Mette-Marit

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To paraphrase Joan Rivers, "...for people to have money and not look good is a crime."

good point! that's super true in my opinion.

i'm not a big fan of mette marit, but i agree she looked totally different at the very beggining and now. as you say, there's something in her eyes (seems that they are bigger now), she was also much paler and much more slim than she is now... it seems she has gained about 10 kg more. it's also really evident that her cleavage got bigger, even before ingrid's birth.

i don't and did never find her "a natural beauty". to me she looked like an ordinary scandinavian girl, really normal and not really nice imho (her nose is not that nice and at the beggining as i said her eyes were really small, which did not look nice...). however, as they seem to have got bigger :eek: she now looks nicer to me, but i don't think she qualifies as a natural beauty just as lalla salma or mathilde, for example.

Last edited:
Mette-Marit and Marthe-Louise

What is the relationship between the sisters in laws? I remember before the wedding, Marthe-Louise was very supportive of her brother and Mette-Marit. Yet you never seem to see them together now except for holidays. Any feedback?

Well, for the latter half of the year, Martha Louise was in New York City with her family while Mette-Marit was in Norway and busy performing royal duties. Sort of hard to spend time together you're a continent apart.

For the first half of this year, whlie Martha Louise was back in Norway, she was on a book tour and Mette-Marit was busy with her schedule of royal duties and several trips abroad.

Also, both women have young families now. Before the wedding, Mette-Marit had Marius but neither had infants to take care of. Having children naturally takes time away from other things you might want to do or people you might want to spend time with. And now, Martha Louise is on maternity leave, while Mette-Marit has been battling morning sickness with her third pregnancy.

Just because you don't see many pictures of them together these days doesn't mean that they aren't close anymore. They could talk in private or communicate via other means. Their relationship isn't necessarily having problems just because the paparazzi haven't taken photos of them lately.

carlota said:
i'm not a big fan of mette marit, but i agree she looked totally different at the very beggining and now. as you say, there's something in her eyes (seems that they are bigger now), she was also much paler and much more slim than she is now... it seems she has gained about 10 kg more. it's also really evident that her cleavage got bigger, even before ingrid's birth.

i don't and did never find her "a natural beauty". to me she looked like an ordinary scandinavian girl, really normal and not really nice imho (her nose is not that nice and at the beggining as i said her eyes were really small, which did not look nice...). however, as they seem to have got bigger :eek: she now looks nicer to me, but i don't think she qualifies as a natural beauty just as lalla salma or mathilde, for example.

In an underhanded manner, without coming out and saying it directly are you saying that Mette-Marit has had plastic surgery to A) make her eyes bigger and B) had her cleavage enhanced?

In regards to the latter matter of great cleavage by Mette-Marit, have you ever considered that during pregnancy, one's chest area can become bigger because of hormones. So even after Ingrid Alexandra's birth, during the course of her pregnancy her chest could've gotten bigger, therefore leading to an enhanced cleavage. Or, even on a more simple level, maybe she got a better, cleavage enhancing bra. And what's wrong with cleavage anyway? It's not as if she's rubbing it in the faces of state leaders when they visit; she didn't shake them in the face of Emperor Akihito when he visited Norway or the President of Poland when she visited that country.

Drug addiction?

cute_girl said:
the change might be result of recovering from addiction.

You're right, she looked positively ill on some of the pictures, could have been that.

But is it actually confirmed that she suffered from drug addiction, I mean real long-term addiction? I've never heard of this before, and if she did I'm sure even the libreral Norwegian royal family wouldn't have allowed Haakoon to marry her. The press would have gone even madder than they did (bad posture/strawberry picking/has a child with drug dealer/etc.).

I suppose she might have been really stressed out at the beginning when being at official functions and meeting the press, given the fact that people had criticised her so much. It must have been like walking over land mines.

I respect her greatly for going ahead and marrying Haakoon, as she certainly realized that this would change her life greatly, and she doesn't seem the person to enjoy all that press attention.

What is known is that Mette-Marit was part of a culture in Oslo, and felt the need to stretch the limits, a bit, by doing something that wasn't socially acceptable, like experiementing. We don't know the extent of it, other than that, but I very much doubt that a long-term drug addiction would have been the result. We would definitely have heard more about it, if it had been the case. And speculating on it further, unless someone has actual facts, is not really necessary to the discussion.

I think it is more a case of, as Smilla mentioned, nerves from stepping into the spotlight. That's also one of the reasons why they lived together before they got married: Mette-Marit really didn't want the attention from the press, or the life that came with it. But she wanted Haakon, and in the end... I suppose that won out.

She looks to have adapted into the role of Crown Princess, she has made it her own.

I think the year in London really helped. It was a way to ease into the double role she had to fill, both as Haakon's wife and as Crown Princess. Having that year, when they did just a small amount of representation, must have been a great way to do it.

Having Ingrid Alexandra also helped. It has taken some of the so-called pressure off, but she's also looked extremely confident during the pregnancy and afterwards.

It will be exciting to follow her progress in the years to come.

In Austria, about 25% of young people try drugs, but only a tiny fraction of that number actually become drug dependent. I suppose that might be the case with MM, too; it's unlikely that she's never tried drugs, and it's also unlikely that she became dependent.

I agree with you, Norwegiane, it will be interesting to watch how she will manage. She's adapted so well and matured so much, I'm sure she will do Norway proud. I admire her most of all the new CPs, as she sort of had to reinvent herself and her role to such an extent that she herself must have been astonished about it.

Genevieve said:
In an underhanded manner, without coming out and saying it directly are you saying that Mette-Marit has had plastic surgery to A) make her eyes bigger and B) had her cleavage enhanced?

And what's wrong with cleavage anyway?

why are you always so roundabout and complicated? i didnt even think of that! moreover, i didnt know there was a surgery to make your eyes bigger. i'm not the only one who said it... does that mean we are all so roundabouted and we all think she got that weird surgery in her eyes? that's silly, come on!

actually my comment had no underhanded manners... maybe it's only you who wants to find implicite things in them.

Hello,

I am a new poster and wanted to make a comment regarding Mette-Marit. To start off I am a huge fan of Mette-Marit. I think she is an incredibly courageous person. To have to face negative public scrutiny everyday with grace is no small feat and I applaud her for that. I know I couldn't do it.

With regards to her "transformation" I wish people would not assume the worse and for once give her the benefit of the doubt and assume the transformation is due to her new role and not a recovery from drug addiction.
As a commoner turned Crown Princess isn't it a foregone conclusion that one must transform themselves to fit the role.

In addition, her weight gain or lack of, can be attributed to stress and or one's body type. Like Mette-Marit, I have angular features and have always been quite thin. But if I gain even 10 pounds, my bust and my butt becomes more noticeable. If I lose those same 10 pounds or more my face look gaunt, my eyes sunken etc. Also, stress can do weird things to one's body. The more likely story is that the newness of the situation may have caused an introverted person like Mette seems to be, to lose weight.
As far as Mette having a drug addiction, as a non-expert in this area but one who has seen quite a few drug addicts on the streets in NY, I would have to say, this does not seem to be the case. Drug addicts have a look to them that even once they have recovered you may still be able to tell.

There are obviously many people who will not let her live down her past, which quite frankly, is the past of many of today's youth. She has obviously moved on, and I think people should move on as well. Really, how many times do you want to beat someone down? Do you think that any of the crown princesses could stand up to this much criticism? At least they get some positive reviews. To me she comes off as a genuine, warm hearted soul (drug past or no). Let's leave it at that.

Just an opinion

Ingyk

Welcome Ingyk to the forum! :) Thanks for your comments on Mette-Marit and your insight on drug addiction.

It is not secret that I adore Mette-Marit, too. :)

What I have always loved about her is her simpleness and her naturalness -- she has never appeared to be a clotheshorse who sought for closets full of gorgeous designer gowns, suits and accessories, which I think suits quite well with the down to earth quality of the Norwegian royals. Her style has never been flashy -- most of her suits are neutral tones, lots of black and grey, light blue, white and soft pink. She does not seem to favour bold, vibrant colours or graphic prints the way her sister-in-law Martha Louise does (which suit Martha Louise's personality much more).

I think she's also quite a natural beauty -- never too much make up (I frequently read that people think she should wear more make up). This naturalness is apparent in pictures from pre-Haakon days, when jeans, a sweater and her hair back in a ponytail with barely a lick of make up would suffice. In the early days of dating Haakon, she frequently went out with him like this, too, despite all the media attention on them as they sipped coffee in the park. I love that she's held steadfast to that about herself.

I think her evolution in terms of her look, her style and confidence is natural. One, as others have mentioned, she now has the financial means to afford nicer clothes -- but also the job requirement for more professional looking clothes. She certainly couldn't go about her royal duties in her jeans and striped sweater! And given more money, even a little bit more, who wouldn't buy a Prada skirt now and then? I certainly don't shop at Banana Republic for my wardrobe because I love their clothes so much! Throw a few extra zeros on my pay cheque and see if I wouldn't add a Prada skirt or Stella McCartney pants to my wardrobe! :p

Secondly, the last two years certainly has seen her role as Crown Princess take on greater prominence with King Harald being sick (twice now), Martha Louise taking on fewer royal duties, maternity leave, and living in New York, and while Queen Sonja has certainly worked more than her fair share these last two years, there has likely been the same amount of royal duties as in previous years but covered by three royals instead of four or five (plus help from Princess Astrid, of course). I certainly noticed a great self-confidence in Mette-Marit in her solo trip to visit Mawaii.

I've personally never given much thought to her past. I am a big believer in whatever your past mistakes or troubles, they are what have gotten you to where you are today. Without the partying scene (and I have never thought she was an addict -- even a functional addict, merely someone who partied regularly and heartily) and Marius born out of wedlock, Mette-Marit would never have met Haakon and we wouldn't have such a couple in love today or Ingrid Alexandra or this baby to come. And how many of us can say that we're completely innocent or absolved of any mistakes in our lives? I certainly can't. I certainly can't stay that I've never hurt anyone, made mistakes in my life or even inhaled at a party or two!

In the end, I think that Mette-Marit is a wonderful example of how people can overcome difficulties in their life. Just because you've smoked pot or done drugs or drank, or had pre-marital sex does not make you a bad person. And even if one is an addict, we shouldn't write such individuals off -- we should offer them the means and the support to clean themselves up and right their life so that they can contribute back to society.

In a long winded manner, the qualities I love most about Mette-Marit are that she has changed her life around so much in such a short time, and that she's approached her role as Crown Princess with naturalness, humbleness and ease, without airs but simplicity and an earthliness that I think represents Norwegians well. She didn't change herself to be Crown Princess or sell herself out and force herself to be someone she wasn't. She took on the role on her own terms and has made it as unique as Sonja made the role when she became Crown Princess.

I'd be proud to have someone such as Mette-Marit representing me!

I like your comments Ingyk, you have sensible view on things :) I agree that there are too much focus on royal women losing/gaining weight. Most women do go up and down in weight through out their life, and that is normal. Life does put its mark on your body one way or another (stress, pregnancies, menopause...)

Just one comment though, to everybody, Mette-Marit hasn't been addicted to drugs, she has just tried some. At least that is what the court and the Norwegian press has let us know.

Book on Mette-Marit

Book due on Mette-Marit's lifeMonday, 13 June 2005 http://www.royalarchive.com/images/...ty/mettemarit ingrid marius haakon family.jpg

She was a relatively obscure, hard-partying young woman who ended up as a single mother and then became Norway's crown princess. The first authorized biography of Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby's unlikely rise to royalty will be out in 2006.

t's the stuff of fairy tales, and fledgling publisher Font Forlag hopes the new book on Mette-Marit's life will be a big-seller both in Norway and abroad.

There's no question that public interest abounds in the young blonde who became Crown Princess Mette-Marit when she married Norway's Crown Prince Haakon in August 2001.

It seemed an unlikely match: The highly educated and reflective Haakon who grew up in royal surroundings fell for the single mother who shared his interest in music but otherwise had a decidedly different background.

http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00293/__1166690_jpg_293231h.jpg

Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby caught the crown prince's eye, and since has produced the next heir to Norway's throne. She's shown here with her son from an earlier relationship, her daughter Princess Ingrid Alexandra and her husband, Crown Prince Haakon. PHOTO: HEIKO JUNGE/SCANPIX

Moreover, she had little formal education and a record of wild partying in Oslo's drug-infested "house party" circles of the early- to mid-1990s. Her admittedly debauched past also sparked concern within the Oslo police, who investigated security challenges posed by some of her former acquaintances.

But with Haakon reportedly threatening to abdicate if he wasn't allowed to marry her, King Harald went along with the match. Mette-Marit tearfully apologized for her past in a pre-wedding press conference and then set about learning how to be a princess.

She's now chosen author Halfdan Freihow to write her biography, although Freihow insists he'll have freedom to write as he sees fit. He also says he's been promised necessary access to both the crown princess "and other necessary sources."

Freihow admits he doesn't yet know how open Mette-Marit will be about her controversial past. "I don't have any ambitions about getting a scoop," he told newspaper Aftenposten on Monday.

"I want to draw a comprehensvie picture of the person Mette-Marit, who has many roles, and who, in the space of a short time, saw her life changed," he said.

13 Jun 2005 Aftenposten English Web Desk
Nina Berglund

Last edited by a moderator:
That's definitely going to be a must-read, provided it is really insightful and not just recycled old stories.

Thanks for the pictures Larzen.

I think that MM is too young to have an authorized biography. I certainly don't mean to undermine MM, but usually an authorized biography usually comes towards the end of one's lifetime when one has accomplished great things. I think it is far too early for such a biography to be published.

It would be more suitable for her to give an extensive interview about her life so far and all the work that she has done and what she has learnt...etc and have the interview published in a paper or compiled in a little book or something.

Last edited:
I agree Mette-Marit may be too young to have an autobiography. However, given the fact that she has been much maligned in the media and not quite as "accepted" as the other crown princesses, this may be an attempt at clarity and perhaps a way for her to present her side of the story so that people will understand her a bit more. I, quite frankly think that her story will be an interesting one and I think it will make a compelling story.
I look forward to reading it.

Best,

Ingyk

Alisa said:
Thanks for the pictures Larzen.

I think that MM is too young to have an authorized biography. I certainly don't mean to undermine MM, but usually an authorized biography usually comes towards the end of one's lifetime when one has accomplished great things. I think it is far too early for such a biography to be published.

It would be more suitable for her to give an extensive interview about her life so far and all the work that she has done and what she has learnt...etc and have the interview published in a paper or compiled in a little book or something.

i really agree with you alisa.

however it will be worth a read. will it only be published in norwegianne?

Definately looking forward to the book that will be written about Mette-Marit's life. I think that out of the many European Crown Princesses today, she's got one of the more interesting life stories. I'm not saying that the others don't, but her story is a bit more perculiar compared to the rest.

But, it must be said Martha and Mette-Marit are very very different...

And the diffrences have become very clear the last coouple of years...

Martha is a very grounded and earthly girl, who enjoys sports and loves to spend time in Norway. Martha and Aris circle of friends consists of norwegian artist, authors and culture figures... the princess is also focused on wearing norwegian design - and hardly ever comes of as a big spender..

Mette-Marit on the other hand, has upped her circle of friends after she marries Haakon, and prefers to spend time jetting of in Europe, shopping or hanging out with people like Marie-Chantal and Rosaro Nadal... or sunbathing in Brasil... and she loves designer clothing..

Her spening and shopping has actually upset alot of people in Norway....

Before MM even met Haakon she was fond of shopping. I guess, like me, instead of imagining one can wear designer clothes and just looking through magazines, she get them. More power to her for dressing how she probably has always dreamed. I hope Haakon is with her on the jet-set trips.

Choles said:
But, it must be said Martha and Mette-Marit are very very different...

And the diffrences have become very clear the last coouple of years...

Martha is a very grounded and earthly girl, who enjoys sports and loves to spend time in Norway. Martha and Aris circle of friends consists of norwegian artist, authors and culture figures... the princess is also focused on wearing norwegian design - and hardly ever comes of as a big spender..

Mette-Marit on the other hand, has upped her circle of friends after she marries Haakon, and prefers to spend time jetting of in Europe, shopping or hanging out with people like Marie-Chantal and Rosaro Nadal... or sunbathing in Brasil... and she loves designer clothing..

Her spening and shopping has actually upset alot of people in Norway....

I'd say the most recent upsetting from the royal family has come from Märtha and her building permits. Most people understand fairly well that Mette-Marit's wardrobe demands another standard than theirs, and that shopping in stores she used to frequent before she was married is impossible, but why Märtha needs to have special building permits awarded to her house and at Bloksbjerg? That's a puzzle. And some have even gone out in the media and labelled Märtha as a liability to the Royal family.

norwegianne said:
but why Märtha needs to have special building permits awarded to her house and at Bloksbjerg? That's a puzzle. And some have even gone out in the media and labelled Märtha as a liability to the Royal family.

Why does Martha Louise need special building permits? Is she making a special renovation to her home?

And are the complaints because of the noise level that might be created from such construction or because such a construction might obstruct the view or look of the neighbourhood?

There are special limits to how much people may build new/expand existing houses that are close to a certain "nature-border" or something like that, in Norway. Märtha and Ari's house is within the border, and they've been expanding it since they bought it (one of the reasons for their stay at the summer house). But as King Harald pointed out, they've applied to do it in the same way that other people do, without asking for special treatment about it. It's just that they get it.

The summer house property was also improved in some way that normal citizens might not have gotten approval to do.

It created some fuss in the papers.

I've just read the one book available on Mette-Marit, and I realized that she's led a far wilder life than I realized. Wow. She's gone through a lot of tremendous changes and mastered her new life really well. I do admire her for that.
One thing is for sure, she's one headstrong woman and somebody used to weathering conflicts (if you can express it like that). She'll make an interesting queen.

NB: I'm all for letting bygones be bygones and don't want to bring up her past, but I am really impressed by what she's managed to do.

I total agree with you Smilla

English interviews/articles with Mette Marit?

I've translated an article on CP Mette-Marit and her journey to become our popular crown princess, which I found it in this weeks issue of Norsk Ukeblad. I think it is a really interesting article which gives IMO a neauanced picture of CP Mette-Marit. As I'm not a professional translator I hope you forgive me my Norwenglish sentence structure :) Even so, I think got the essence of the article right. Since it is so long I post it as a Micorsoft Word document and it is in five parts! And I don't have winzip, so I hope it's ok anyway :eek: Please give me a hint if it doesn't open, and I'll try to fix it :) Enjoy!

Part one;

Attachments

• The childrens princess part one.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
An article from Norsk Ukeblad part two

Here comes part two;

Attachments

• The childrens princess part two.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 282
An article from Norsk Ukeblad part three

And this is part three;