The Crown Prince family's trip abroad

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I meant it's celebrity like because they're acting as if they have no responsibilities to their country...

If you think about it that CP Haakon for example never has chosen his position by himself and still will most likely be dutiful for his country for all his life, then I don't see what's the problem with taking two months for yourself and your family.

I hope they will have a great time! :flowers:

Dearest Scooter and The Duke of Marmalade:
I am 100 % in agreement with your opions, someone got to enjoy travelling and this is an extended vacation with the entire family ofcourse!. It takes more than 5 months to learn the culture of a country and see things in a true perspective.

In addition the king's health has not been good for the last four years, maybe he is considering to abdicate in favour of Haakon, on the other hand his wife has begun to feel the pinch of being royal which seems all glamorous" The grass always look greener on the outside". "Life is not what it seems"

The USA is so big, they could find numerous places to travel & visit and very few (if any) would even know who they are........But I am surprised that they will not be with family during Christmas & New Years......that I find very odd

imo they are likely to go to asia as "learning about different cultures" etc doesnt sound european to me, neither american.

its the same old, they want to be like ordinary people but the public has to foot the security bill. are they too poor to pick that up too when they are claiming that they are paying for the trip?

great idea to travel but not for royals. they are supposed to be there and get a lot of privileges in return. to me it seems that haakon is tempting his fate by always wanting to be "normal" what he simply isnt.

In one of the interviews the Crown Prince couple did with the press after the announcement they said they would not have any extras security, so I don’t see how it matters where they are. They would have the same security detail if they were staying at home, might even be easier on this trip as all five of them will be traveling together. The state pays for their security regards of where they are.

I don’t see why the King’s health is mentioned. The King has been in good health after is heart surgery and it is not expected that he will abdicate. He has said in interviews that you are king, or you are dead. Even if he gets sick again and his health deteriorates, it is unlikely that he will abdicate. There is no reason why he should. The Crown Prince will be appointed as acting regent for the time the King is sick, or until the king passes and the Crown Prince takes over the throne. The King and Queen have, as much as possible, cut down some work. They try for a day a week where they have no engagement at all, but it has been pointed out in the press that this is a rare occurrence and that both the King and Queen uphold their heavy workloads.

They do hold a special position, but I don’t see how this trip or their previous behaviour has anything with wanting to be normal. They must have a much greater understanding than any of us of what their life and position mean. In any case, all people, and not just royals who are high up in any society has many privileges and opportunities. This is just the way the world works. The Crown Prince has done little else but preparing himself for his role as a future monarch through all his schooling and general life; he has said often that if he could have chosen freely he probably would have studied something else or at least taken more of some subjects. And though this is not a field trip, I am sure he and the rest of the family will bring back many great experiences, ideas and thoughts they can use in their life as royals, just as such a trip would be equality good for anyone else.

Both the Crown Prince and Crown Princess do a lot of work, and use their position and status to do something good for others. In Norway they are popular and well liked. I haven’t read or heard much negativity about this trip at all. They will do a lifelong duty for Norway and its people, and I don’t see how this trip will impact their work negativity at all.

When they get back they will continue on as they have been, and as the years go I am sure we will see more representation by Princess Ingrid Alexandra as well. And her schooling will never be like the rest of her peers. Yes, her parents wants her to have a normal schooling as possible, but that does not mean she will not be taken out of school to represent and learn being a future queen. It means during the time she does attend school, she will be treated like any other peer, but she will never not be a Princess during this time. She will need to learn how to juggle both worlds, just as her father in his time did.

Just because they are high ranking, doesn’t been they don’t deserve some breathing room, they rarely get much and will get even less as they take over more work for the King and Queen as time passes.

I hope they have a wonderful time.

The American culture is similar to the european, I thould, they will travel to Africa or FarEast :)-). But I think the kids are too young to this travel. What can understand an 4 old boy about India? Or a 6 old girl? In many years they won't remember on this trip. And they could travel also in summer, when they have every year their vacationstime... But I think for MM and Haakon is this trip very important, they are very interested for other people, for their problems.
But why not in summer? I don't understand this huste...

The American culture is similar to the european, I thould, they will travel to Africa or FarEast :)-). But I think the kids are too young to this travel. What can understand an 4 old boy about India? Or a 6 old girl? In many years they won't remember on this trip. And they could travel also in summer, when they have every year their vacationstime... But I think for MM and Haakon is this trip very important, they are very interested for other people, for their problems.
But why not in summer? I don't understand this huste...

simple, in the summer there is rain season in asia. november and forward is the best time to travel far east. i agree about the age of the kids, quite young. over 10 years of age would be much more effective to the purpose of the trip, its not suited to hardly six or seven year olds.

If these activities are things that their children are interested in, then they will have some memory of it. If their parents film the events or record the events, they will a better memory of it.

I remember at age 4 1/2 years old going to Marineland in Florida and watching the dolphins do a show. I remember them jumping out of the water and doing flips. I was so excited about seeing them as I watched Flipper on TV. I had an interest in dolphins though.

My older brother who was 7 years old barely remembers this but remembers going to the Cape Canaveral to see a spacecraft go up (this was his interest). (I barely remember going to the Cape).

MM son who is about 12 or 13 years old will probably have the best memory of the trip.

There is a reason and as I said earlier, "Longfellow said that "Things Are Not What They Seem".

. i agree about the age of the kids, quite young. over 10 years of age would be much more effective to the purpose of the trip, its not suited to hardly six or seven year olds.

I can assure you that children under the age of 10 are not too young for a longterm trip to be effective! Prince Sverre Magnus turns 5 on Dec 3rd and Princess Ingrid turns 7 in January. Marius turns 14 at the beginning of January. They are all good ages to travel.
A friend of mine and her husband took their 7 year old out of school for 6 months and their youngest turned 4 a month into the trip. Both have repeatedly spoken about the vivid memories they have of travelling the world at that age. So vivid infact that now in their 20s they developed a love of travel and adventure thanks to their childhood experiences. The older one now lives and works in the Middle East (with a salary that's condusive to frequent travel!) and the younger while still at university travels to SE Asia every chance he has!

Surely, a Royal Family does not fail in such a question to get medical and psychological advice.

I think Ingrid is old enough for the trip but Sverre Magnus is very young. Do you think King Harald is ill or thinks about an abdication and that this is why they go now?

What do you expect from a former party girl? restlessness

Your saying this holiday has been planned because MM can't stand to be in Norway anymore?

She was restless before, when they went to the UK. People didnt like their decision back then and just in case it turns out that there is more to it than just a family experience thing, people wont like their decision now.

Didn't they actually studied in UK? I don't understand with what is wrong in studying abroad? I know from experience that studying abroad enriches one, in a way that simply is not possible in your own country. Well I'm not sayying that Norwefian universities are bad or something like that, but come on... these people studied these subjects to serve their country better.

yes, they did study but they didnt go in the first place because of the studies but because it was all too much in Norway for MM, she couldnt cope with her role, public life etc. doing some studies was the excuse to be able to leave the country for a while.

means that they labelled a decision of theirs differenty in order to get away with it before (wanting to get away from it all for some time = doing studies in London) therefore its a possibility that they are at it again (?whatever the true reason behind it? = travelling with the family to get some cultural experience).

I mean IA and SM are too young for this "cultural experience". They won't understand it. Maybe they will remember later on "riding elephant" (?), but nothing what important for the future queen. MM and Haakon know already different countries and cultures, so they don't need it. I think there is something others behind this decision, not the cultural experience...

Very odd indeed....
I always chuckle when I hear Royalty, celebrities, heirs, trustfunders(you get the jiff) exclaim "I just want to live like a normal person":cool: OK give up your money, palaces,servants and cushy life..you can clean your toilets and get a hard job for normal pay and scrape together enough money to take a a small vacation and be just like the rest of us!!

A really ridiculous thing to say, and probably just a statement so that no one knows the real reason for the trip. I would guess family trouble.

Oh and by the way, most of us "normal people"don't have the money or the time to just go away and "live abroad" for 2 months of our life. If they lived in the US, we don't get near the vacation our European friends get!!:cool:

I don't understand why you find it ridiculous. It is just the human nature to want things that we don't have, to experience more. Otherwise people wouldn't have carreers, there were no companies being built etc.
For Royals, Celebs, Heirs etc. who seem to have everything except "Living like a normal person" it is the only thing they are unable to get, so they long for it.

Pure and simple :)

I also don't really understand all of the negative comments. The thing I find a bit strange that they travel so short after IA started school. I don't see any problem about the travel itself. They want to experience other cultures and that's a great thing to do. I don't see why Royals shouldn't get this chance too. They usually do a good job for the Royal House and hey, they will only stay 2 months. Nothing tragic imo.

In my personal opinion, normal people are curious as to why Crown Princely couple decided to have the trip in question. The phrase" ... like a normal person", which is over abused by the poor rich and mighty languishing in their dull existence and wishing for some new experiences, angers many normal people. It is understandable.

well they are going ahead with the trip weather people like or not , I say good on them , hope they have a good time ! see them in the new year .

The people in Norway is has nothing against this. This is not a big deal in Scandinavian press.
So why people in USA and other countries is juding them, i do not understand.

They ar first of all royals for the Norwegian people. And when the opinion in Norway is ok with it, is that what really matters.

So i do not understand why so many of you make so big deal of this.

It is no reason to speculate and create "scandales"

I really hope there will be pix and news sometimes in these two months

Back
Top Bottom