The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Courtier

There is an article at aftenposten.no which says that of all the monarchies in Europe, the Norwegian monarchy will be abolished first, mainly because of Mette-Marit. I couldn't read the article, though, as my IE crashed everytime I tried to open it, so I can't give you any other details.

What do you think. Will Mette-Marit be the ruin of the Norwegian monarchy?

Old 10-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
There is an article at aftenposten.no which says that of all the monarchies in Europe, the Norwegian monarchy will be abolished first, mainly because of Mette-Marit. I couldn't read the article, though, as my IE crashed everytime I tried to open it, so I can't give you any other details.

No. If the Norwegian monarchy is ruined, there will have to be a lot more than Mette-Marit's past behind it - especially since it is a thing of the past.

People predicted the Norwegian monarchy's downfall when Harald married Sonja. It's still there.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
People predicted the Norwegian monarchy's downfall when Harald married Sonja. It's still there.
What a waste this would have been - Sonja makes a very good queen, doesn't she? The Norwegian royals seem to be such a sensible bunch, they're the least I would wish to see abolished.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla

Here is the link: http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1131494.ece

As far as I have understood the journalist, Jaime Penafiel, who says these things, aren't the most serious and reliable journalists in Europe. I think he has said some things about Letizia too, that made people in Spain furious. He has at least been heavily discussed in this forum.

I don't think CP Mette-Marit will be the end of the Norwegian monarchy. I think it will go on for a couple more generations, slowly disolving untill the parliament decides that the monarchy has outlived its purpose. But as a royalist I hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime, otherwise I'd have to find another hobby :)

Old 10-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikkiB
As far as I have understood the journalist, Jaime Penafiel, who says these things, aren't the most serious and reliable journalists in Europe.
Oh, James Penafiel, that explains a lot, then.Thanks for the information, KikkiB!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

If you doesn't have a topic you write about anything just to write (old story in new version).
Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
If you doesn't have a topic you write about anything just to write (old story in new version).
The story of journalism.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
total agree with you,

what Rubbish people print! cant see it happening myself,
Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Rubbish indeed, but considering the author it is not very surprising. That nasty man makes a habbit of bashing royals who are not as conservative as he is, I think he even makes nasty comments on Queen Sofia, which is almost impossible I would say.
If the Norwegian Monarchy disappears it has another reason then Mette-Marit, but more that the monarchy isn't as rooted in Norway as in other countries (only for 100 years).
For what it's worth: I was Mette-Marit sceptic in the beginning & for a long time but I have turned around and now I actually appreciate her, she is my favorite norwegian royal. I like her unaffected way of dealing with people, she seems very down-to-earth.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Rubbish indeed, but considering the author it is not very surprising. That nasty man makes a habbit of bashing royals who are not as conservative as he is, I think he even makes nasty comments on Queen Sofia, which is almost impossible I would say.
If the Norwegian Monarchy disappears it has another reason then Mette-Marit, but more that the monarchy isn't as rooted in Norway as in other countries (only for 100 years).
For what it's worth: I was Mette-Marit sceptic in the beginning & for a long time but I have turned around and now I actually appreciate her, she is my favorite norwegian royal. I like her unaffected way of dealing with people, she seems very down-to-earth.
Just one comment, it is true that the present monarchy in Norway isn't more than 100 years old, but Norway has been a monarchy since around year 1000 A.D. either in its own right, or as a part of another monarchy (the unions with Denmark (1349-1814) and Sweden (1814-1905). So the monarchy in Norway, and the way we think about it, is as strong as other monarchies. Remember, the Belgian (since 1830) monarchy isn't that old either, when you compare it to others. And let alone the Spanish monarchy, which is even younger (only 30 years old).

In my opinion, you can't really depict the ending of a monarchy on its age, but rather of its strenght within the nation and the democratical development of that particular nation. I don't think the monarchy will stand or fall on the actions of its members (at least not only that) but a variety of things such as the development of the nation.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Could someone post a link to the article? I;d like to read it.

Hmm...I think I may have agreed a couple years ago but MM has just blown me away with what a good princess she's become. and I think the norwegian people see it too.

Weren't there are some other reasons the Norwegian monarchy has lost some respect?

I recall very expensive renovations a few years ago. anything else?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Nobility

Here is the link you were looking for, it is in Norwegian though http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/k...icle470382.ece

This one is in English (and from a serious newspaper): http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1132926.ece

Old 10-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

thanks so much!