Name Haakon And Mette-Marit's Baby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is really easy:

Traditions:

Olav, Harald, Haakon, Christian, ..

Martha, Maud, Sonja, ...

;) When a royal in line to the throne in Norway is born, how many names does it contain? I mean five like other royals or two?? ;)

* I guess they will only give the child 1 name :

- only 1 name for the 3 Kings Norway has had since 1905

- the child M-M is expecting will be the future King/Queen

- Haakon dropped his second given name in 1991

- Marius has only 1 given name

* I guess [hmmm, hope ?] they will choose an old norwegian name.

I don't know a lot of traditional and common Norwegian names, so I am at quite a loss on this one. But probably not Maud since it is the name of Martha Louise's daughter, and I doubt Martha since it's his sister's name and might be confusing in this generation. Or maybe Martha or Sonja but a nickname for use by the family so as not to create confusion. The same is done in the Spanish royal family where Elena's son's name is Felipe but is called Froilan and Cristina's oldest son is named Juan but called Juanito.

I was reading the Scandinavian Royals message board and one of the posters put forth a name I really like: Magnus. Although other posters mentioned that it might clash a bit with Marius and that Magnus and Marius as siblings might sound too confusing.

wait and see if the couples will choose baby names after his grandfather's names likes as generations family! or have good names for baby!

Haakon and Mette-Marit been married for 2 years both wanted to choose names for baby!

Sara Boyce

Name the kid Chadwick. :woot: HA HA HA HAA..naw, just joking.

How aboot (Yay Canada! :flower: ), yes well anyhoo, how aboot William, or Johannes, or erm, Harald, I'm not too familiar with the Norwegian monarchs but basically all the Danish monarchs have been Christian, Frederik...Christian, Frederik, Christian Frederik...Christian...Frederik. Or how about Olav, they can call the kid Olle. :woot: :shock: :yuk:
If it's a girl, Astrid is always nice, Ingrid...(although to me, they sound like the kind of name an 80-year old nun would bear). Kristina..Madeleine, Lovisa, hmmmm...tricky business.

Name the kid Chadwick. :innocent:

Yes, Louise would be a very choice. But it's easier to find names for a girl, because in my opinion, norwegian traditional and royal names for a boy sound horrible.

Carl is a traditional Swedish royal name. They would probably go with Olav/Olaf, Harald, Haakon...etc. Rasmus is a nice name, so's Matthias, Johannes...Markus, Magnus...

Norwegian male royal names are gross sounding...if they name the kid Olaf would they call it Olle? Hahha! King Olaf wasn't named Olaf at birth, maybe they can name the kid what they want now, then when he becomes king, he might get a more traditional name. (Unless they have a girl, then they'd have free choice.)

I think someone said Princess M-M having baby girl also! i read in Dutch forum said that!

Sara Boyce

I kind of like Olav... And Espen is cute too. But a lot of Norwegian names sounds horrible!

For a girl they could pick any classic/oldfashiond Norwegian name.

Espen is the name of Mette-Marit's brother. He was convicted and sentenced to 60 days in jail. I doubt the royal family will allow her to name their son after a convicted fellon..even if he is her brother... :blink:

Ooh...forgot about that fact. Espen is the name of my darling little cousin - a perfect little blonde norwegian boy. I guess my associations with that name are far too innocent! :wacko:

I was searching a baby site which listed Norwegian baby names, and I like Erik. It means "honorable ruler" I think that is very fitting - even though it is not a traditional name. For a girl I like Sophia (the site spells it Sofia) which means "wisdom"

A lot of the Danish princes who became kings of Norway got their traditional names after being crowned king. Maybe they'll be able to name their child Erik or whatever they want and then once the kid is crowned (if they do have a son first) he'll get his traditional ruling name. I don't know...seems like a good idea. King Olav was christened Alexander Edward Frederik Christian...(or was it Christian Frederik?)

For a boy I'd choose Olav or Christian. For a girl... Ingrid or Astrid maybe? :flower:

Originally posted by olivier290782@Jul 4th, 2003 - 6:45 am
This question is really easy:

Traditions:

Olav, Harald, Haakon, Christian, ..

Martha, Maud, Sonja, ...
How about "Marie", "Hildy", "Ingrid", "Alexandra", and another name, which I do not favor, but it is a Scandinavian name ~ "Dagmar" :flower: ??

Originally posted by sara1981@Oct 10th, 2003 - 11:19 pm
I think someone said Princess M-M having baby girl also! i read in Dutch forum said that!

Sara Boyce
Where did you get that from? Crown Prince Haakon has stated in several interviews that *they* don't want to know it yet...

A lot of the Danish princes who became kings of Norway got their traditional names after being crowned king. Maybe they'll be able to name their child Erik or whatever they want and then once the kid is crowned (if they do have a son first) he'll get his traditional ruling name. I don't know...seems like a good idea. King Olav was christened Alexander Edward Frederik Christian...(or was it Christian Frederik?) 
Actually Prince Carl of Denmark, who became King Haakon the seventh, changed his name, and his son's, Prince Alexander Edward Christian Frederik, when he was elected king by the Norwegian people, to become more Norwegian. King Olav didn't change his name when he ascended to the throne, as he, in 1957, had been Crown Prince Olav for about 52 years... We've only had two Danish Princes...

Harald is the only name of the present king, and the crown prince's got two names. There isn't really a tradition in the royal family for how many names a child is supposed to have. You have Maud Angelica, Princess Märtha Louise, Princess Astrid Maud Ingeborg and Princess Ragnhild Alexandra.

I'm leaning towards naming the baby after someone, but I'm also betting that they won't start that habit they have in Denmark with Christians and Fredriks.

Possible Boy Names:
Sverre :cry:
Magnus
Harald
Olav
Erik
All of which have been names of Norwegian Kings
if we want to step further out:
we have Hans, Knut, Erling...

For female names:
Ingeborg,
Margrethe/Margareta/Margaret (name of one Norwegian queen, and at least one Norwegian princess (the Maid of Norway.))
Blanche/Blanka - name of a queen
Kristin
Astrid
Alexandra
Louise
(Possibly Dagny, after the Crown Prince's maternal grandmother)
Sigrid

The child will also be a decendant of Queen Victoria, and there are some pretty names in those lines, as well as the other royal lines.

My bet is that the parents choose two names, like Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn did, one traditional, and one to be used everyday.

and can I just recommend the lovely name of Anne? (Of course all English/French people pronounce it wrong according to the Norwegian...)

NorwegiAnne

Originally posted by norwegianne+Nov 26th, 2003 - 2:39 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norwegianne @ Nov 26th, 2003 - 2:39 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sara1981@Oct 10th, 2003 - 11:19 pm

Sara Boyce
Where did you get that from? Crown Prince Haakon has stated in several interviews that *they* don't want to know it yet...

Actually Prince Carl of Denmark, who became King Haakon the seventh, changed his name, and his son's, Prince Alexander Edward Christian Frederik, when he was elected king by the Norwegian people, to become more Norwegian. King Olav didn't change his name when he ascended to the throne, as he, in 1957, had been Crown Prince Olav for about 52 years... We've only had two Danish Princes...

Harald is the only name of the present king, and the crown prince's got two names. There isn't really a tradition in the royal family for how many names a child is supposed to have. You have Maud Angelica, Princess Märtha Louise, Princess Astrid Maud Ingeborg and Princess Ragnhild Alexandra.

I'm leaning towards naming the baby after someone, but I'm also betting that they won't start that habit they have in Denmark with Christians and Fredriks.

Possible Boy Names:
Sverre :cry:
Magnus
Harald
Olav
Erik
All of which have been names of Norwegian Kings
if we want to step further out:
we have Hans, Knut, Erling...

For female names:
Ingeborg,
Margrethe/Margareta/Margaret (name of one Norwegian queen, and at least one Norwegian princess (the Maid of Norway.))
Blanche/Blanka - name of a queen
Kristin
Astrid
Alexandra
Louise
(Possibly Dagny, after the Crown Prince's maternal grandmother)
Sigrid

The child will also be a decendant of Queen Victoria, and there are some pretty names in those lines, as well as the other royal lines.

My bet is that the parents choose two names, like Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn did, one traditional, and one to be used everyday.

and can I just recommend the lovely name of Anne? (Of course all English/French people pronounce it wrong according to the Norwegian...)

NorwegiAnne [/b][/quote]
For a girl, I love Astrid, Alexandra, Louise, Anne... or Blanche, Kristin...

http://www.aftenposten.no

Royals must withhold new heir's name

A majority of Norwegians think the new royal heir due in January will be named either Olav or Ingeborg. The public will be kept guessing, however, until the first Council of State is held after the birth.

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit can't reveal the name they've chosen at the hospital. Instead, Norway's constitution decrees that the name of a new prince or princess must be announced at a Council of State.

That means the baby's father himself will inform government ministers at the council, since he's acting regent while his father King Harald recovers from cancer surgery.

The Council of State (Statsraad) normally meets every Friday morning at the Royal Palace in Oslo. If the birth occurs just after a council, however, an extraodinary session can be called.

After the name is revealed to the government ministers assembled for the council, the prime minister will announce it publicly.

When Princess Martha Louise gave birth last spring, her new daughter's name was announced at the National Hospital. That's because Maud Angelica Behn wasn't granted the title of "princess," even though she's in line to inherit the throne.

The crown couple's baby is due January 22. The palace reported earlier this week that Crown Princess Mette-Marit's pregnancy has progressed normally and that she's in "fine form."

She attended a concert this week featuring her sister-in-law, Princess Martha Louise, who sings with the Oslo Gospel Choir. Crown Princess Mette-Marit left the concert early, however.

"She felt a bit unwell and went home," reported palace spokesman Sven Gjeruldsen. "But she's not sick and it was nothing dramatic."

The name has to be announced at the cabinet meeting, and have the King's approval. But I didn't think there was something prohibiting them from mentioning it on beforehand. Simply tradition, and the fact that if the King doesn't like it, they'll have a problem... :innocent:

Is MA Behn supposed to be called MA all the time, or just M?

Well, the press calls her by her full name, but they did that with Crown Prince Haakon too for a long while.

I think that will pretty much solve itself when she starts to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom