Name Haakon And Mette-Marit's Baby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aftenposten

Her Royal Highness Ingrid Alexandra

At an extraordinary meeting of Norway's cabinet ministers on Thursday, the name of the newborn heir to the throne was revealed. The daughter of Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit will be called Ingrid Alexandra, a name with regal resonance.

A new opinion poll taken a few after the birth of Norway's first female heir to the throne on Wednesday morning showed a boost in support for the monarchy.

Nearly half of those surveyed felt the coming royal generation would strengthen the monarchy's position in Norway.

There was 75 percent support for Norway remaining a monarchy, and only 17 percent wanted the country to become a republic on the day of the princess' birth.

That's a wonderful and very beautiful name. I love it!!!

God bless her!  :flower:

Yay! What a pretty name. I think Ingrid Aleksandra flows well together.
Sort of like Martha Louise. I do hope that both are used. (if not, I do adore the name ingrid).

www.kongehuset.no

H.K.H. Prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra

Hans Kongelige Høyhet Kronprinsregenten har i Ekstraordinært Statsråd på Det Kongelige Slott i dag, torsdag 22. januar 2004 meddelt at Deres Kongelige Høyheter Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessen, i samråd med Hans Majestet Kongen, har bestemt at den nyfødte Prinsessen skal hete Prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra.

Hans Kongelige Høyhet Kronprinsregenten ba om Statsrådets tilslutning til navnevalget.

I just saw that Ingrid Alexandra are the two first names of countess Ingrid von Pfeil und Klein Ellguth, daughter of a niece of Queen Margrethe of Denmark! Her full name are Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte von Pfeil und Klein Ellguth.

Two very nice names, and two names that few had guessed before. Ingrid is a very common name in Norway, it's the sixth most common name for girls. Alexandra is rarer, but gaining popularity. The fact that Ingrid is both anchored in Norwegian royal traditions, and within the Royal family, as well as within the Crown Princess' family gives it a nice touch. There might also be a tribute to Queen Ingrid of Denmark within, but that's more vague. (Queen Ingrid was a flower girl at the wedding of Crown Prince Olav and Princess Märtha)

And Alexandra is a family name within the Crown Prince's family: Queen Alexandra of Great Britain, King Olav's name was Alexander before he became Norwegian Crown Prince, Princess Ragnhild is called Ragnhild Alexandra. And Queen Alexandra's sister was married to Alexander of Russia.

We mustn't forget Alexander the Great either :flower:

It seems that they have chosen to go with the English spelling, with an x, as is becoming more and more common than going with the -ks that Norwegians tended to use.

I also would like to point you to the literary character Ole Aleksander, written by Anne-Cath. Vestly, and beloved of many Norwegians.

The fact that she has a cousin with the same names doesn't matter. It seems like she only uses the first name for now. It might be nice at family parties to have three girls roughly the same age (Maud Angelica, Countess Ingrid, and Princess Ingrid Alexandra. :innocent: )

Do you think that choosing Alexandra as a middle name will mean that Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands will be a Godfather?

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 21st, 2004 - 12:04 pm
Names I like, that I think are possible:
- Kristin
- Margrethe
- Ingrid
Well, I was partially right. :flower: :flower: Even if I liked Kristin best, Ingrid was one of the three possible.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

It also fits nicely in: Haakon, Mette-Marit, Marius & Ingrid.

I'm kind of betting the Alexandra will disappear after a while. Ingrid fits better with Marius than Alexandra does.

Originally posted by Danielane@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 6:03 am
I just saw that Ingrid Alexandra are the two first names of countess Ingrid von Pfeil und Klein Ellguth, daughter of a niece of Queen Margrethe of Denmark! Her full name are Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte von Pfeil und Klein Ellguth.
now that there are two baby royals named as Ingrid, mm.. what is left for Frederik of Denmark if he has a baby daughter since he adored his late grandmother so much.

Really a very nice and cute name it is! I was terrified, she would be named Ragnhild...
:lol: But of course I must like the name. I think Alexandra is the most beautiful name that ever was. :lol:

But why those names? Íngrid is an old Swedish name, but is Alexandra so ccommon a name there, too? Queen Ingrid of Denmark was relative to Haakon, but where comes Alexandra? But yes, there is, of course, the aunt of Crown Prince Haakon, Princess (?) Ragnhild Alexandra. And we must not forget king Olav himself! His real name was Alexander Edward Christian Frederik before he came to Norway. I think he became Olav then later in life, Olav was none of his original names, but I don't know it quite for sure. Anyway, Olav sounds more Norwegian.

I think that it is a very pretty name. Very traditional. I was suprised though, I though that they would probably go for a more unconventional name, like Willem-Alexander and Maxima did with Catharina-Amalia. But I do like the name. That is a very pretty combination.

From VG, regarding Princess Ingrid Alexandra's royal relations. Since not everybody understands Norwegian, which you should learn by the way, I'll try to translate.
Alle kongelige med felles slekt

Vår nyfødte prinsesse er femmenning til kronprinsesse Victoria - som kronprins Haakon er seksmenning til...

Av ELLEN LIMSTRAND,  STIG TORE LAUGEN

SLEKTSTRE: Den nyfødte prinsessen er i slekt med «alle» medlemmene av Europas kongehus på en eller annen måte. Dagens VG (22. januar) bringer en komplett oversikt.
Forvirret? Det er det all grunn til å være. Kongelig slektskap er nemlig ikke helt som andre slektskap. 

Alle Europas kongelige er mer eller mindre i slekt med hverandre enten på den ene eller andre siden - eller begge, som er tilfellet med det norske kongehuset. 

Før kong Harald «brøt ut» og giftet seg borgerlig, hadde både hans far og farfar, kong Haakon og kong Olav, giftet seg kongelig - med sine søskenbarn. Sånt skaper «forviklinger» og kryssende slektslinjer. 

For mens kronprins Haakon er seksmenning til kronprinsesse Victoria av Sverige og hennes to søsken - på kong Olavs side, blir det nyfødte pikebarnet femmenning til den svenske søskentrioen - på kronprinsesse Märthas side. 

På samme side er Kronprinsen firmenning til kong Carl Gustaf av Sverige. 

Sin egen tremenning 

Følger man kong Olavs side av slektstreet, blir vår lille prinsesse syvmenning til barna kronprinsesse Victoria, prins Carl Philip og prinsesse Madeleine eventuelt måtte få. 

Og om ikke forvirringen er total, kan det nevnes at kong Harald er sin egen tremenning... Grunnen er at han er i slekt med de samme på begge sider. 

Kronprinsparets barn blir også femmenning til sønnene til prins Joachim av Danmark - prinsene Nikolai og Felix - samt til kronprins Frederik og Mary Donaldsons barn - om de får barn. 

Slekt over hele Europa 

Slektsbåndene strekker seg også over Nordsjøen og til England og den britiske kongefamilien. 

Kong Harald og dronning Elizabeth er tremenninger, kronprins Haakon og prins Charles er firmenninger. Følgelig blir vår prinsesse og prinsene William og Harry femmenninger. 

Eks-kong Konstantin og -dronning Anne-Marie (Danmarks dronning Margrethes søster) er henholdsvis fir- og tremenning til kong Harald. 

Det nye tilskuddet til den norske kongefamilien vil også få firmenninger både i Belgia og Luxembourg. 

Noe svakere er slektsbåndene til de kongelige i nabolandet Nederland, men også her er det slektskap å spore. 

Frister det med et Spania-besøk for den nyfødte norske prinsessen, bør det ikke være vanskelig å ta inn hos slektninger. 

Kronprins Haakon og kronprins Felipe er femmenninger - på begge sider. 

Også til de kongelige i Bulgaria er det slektsbånd. Kong Harald er seksmenning med prins Kyril, som er gift med prinsesse Rosario (35). 

For å si det kort: Den nyfødte prinsessen er i slekt med «alle» medlemmene av Europas kongehus på en eller annen måte. 

All Royals with relatives in common.
Our newborn princess is fourth cousin to Crown Princess Victoria, who is Crown Prince Haakon's fifth cousin...

Family tree: The newborn Princess is related to "all" the members of Europe's Royal Houses, in one way or another. Today's VG bring you the complete version. Confused? You have every reason to be. Royal relations aren't like other relations.

All of the Royals in Europe are more or less related to each other, either on one side or another, or both, as is the case with the Norwegian Royal family.

Before King Harald broke loose from tradition and married a commoner, had both his father and grandfather married royals - their cousins. That creates confusion, and crossing relations.

Since Crown prince Haakon is fifth cousin to Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and her two siblings - on King Olav's side, the newborn girl is fourth cousin to the Swedish trio - at Crown Princess Märtha's side.

At the same side the Crown prince is third cousin to King Carl Gustaf of Sweden.

His own second cousin.
If you follow King Olav's side of the family tree, our little Princess will be sixth cousin to eventual children of Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine.

If you're not completely confused yet, we might mention that King Harald is his own second cousin. The reason, he's related to the same people on both sides.

The Crown Prince couple's children are also fourth cousins to the sons of Prince Joachim of Denmark, prince Nicolai and Prince Felix - as well as Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson's children, if they have any.

Relatives all over Europe
The branches of the family tree stretches all the way across the North Sea to England and the British royal family.

King Harald and Queen Elizabeth are second cousins, Crown Prince Haakon and Prince Charles are third cousins, therefore our princess and prince William and Prince Harry will be fourth cousins.

Ex-King Konstantin and - queen Anne-Marie (Sister of Queen Margrethe of Denmark) are respectively third and second cousins to King Harald.

The new addition to the Norwegian Royal family will have third cousins in both Belgium and Luxemboug.

A bit more distant are the relationship to the Dutch royals, but also here are there traceable relationship.

If the new princess is tempted by a visit to Spain it shouldn't be hard to find relatives to live with.

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Prince Felipe are fourth cousins, on both sides.

There are also ties to the royals of Bulgaria. King Harald is the fifth cousin of Prince Kyril who is married to Princess Rosario(35)

To put it briefly: the newborn princess is related to "all" members of Europe's royal families, one way or another.

from aftenposten.no

Her Royal Highness Ingrid Alexandra

At an extraordinary meeting of Norway's cabinet ministers on Thursday, the name of the newborn heir to the throne was revealed. The daughter of Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit will be called Ingrid Alexandra, a name with regal resonance.

Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik made the official public announcement, outside the palace in wintry morning weather.

"Ingrid is a well-known Norwegian girl's name, at the same time it is a Norse name and a royal name in the Bernadotte family, from among others, Queen Ingrid, mother of Denmark's Queen Margrethe, originally a Swedish princess," Bondevik said.

"The name Ingrid is also used in the crown princess' family, and is therefore a fine combination of the two families," Bondevik said.

Bondevik also explained that Alexandra was a well-known royal name in Europe, and that King Olav, the newborn princess' great-grandfather, was originally named Alexander.

Although Ingrid is a very popular name in Norway - 24,909 share it with the young princess according to Statistics Norway (SSB) - Ingrid Alexandra is extremely rare here, with the SSB database returning "0-3" hits on the combination.

A new opinion poll taken a few after the birth of Norway's first female heir to the throne on Wednesday morning showed a boost in support for the monarchy.

Nearly half of those surveyed felt the coming royal generation would strengthen the monarchy's position in Norway.

There was 75 percent support for Norway remaining a monarchy, and only 17 percent wanted the country to become a republic on the day of the princess' birth.

Originally posted by Alexandra@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 7:34 am
But why those names? Íngrid is an old Norwegian name, but is Alexandra so ccommon a name there. Queen Ingrid of Denmark was relative to Haakon, but where comes Alexandra? But yes, there is, of course, the aunt of Crown Prince Haakon, Princess (?) Ragnhild Alexandra.
Alexandra isn't that common, but one of the names King Olav had before he became Olav was Alexander. And his grandmother was Queen Alexandra of Great Britain, so it's a name with roots in the royal family.

I think this was a nice way of showing some respect for him. :flower:

Ingrid was also the name of the Crown Princess' paternal grandmother.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 2:39 pm
From VG, regarding Princess Ingrid Alexandra's royal relations. Since not everybody understands Norwegian, which you should learn by the way, I'll try to translate.
:lol: Hehee, I can not Norwegian, but at school I had years and years of Swedish lessons! So I am quite able to read Norgegian, too. :lol:

:lol: And anyway, read can we all, only understand the words could be difficult! :lol: Joke, joke ....

I like the name Ingrid Alexandra :flower: sounds really good

I don't know if they will use Ingrid or Alexandra in daily life , but they both sound good , not to old....

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 2:39 pm

The Crown prince is third cousin to King Carl Gustaf of Sweden.

His own second cousin.
Oh yes, it is very interesting with the royal relationships. They twist and twist around each other continuously. Have you ever thought, for example, Queen Elizabeth is fourth cousin to her children and so third cousin to her husband. :woot:

There are lots and lots and lots of twisted "cousins" in royal familytrees. It is very interesting a study to search for them. I have had many amusing moments trying to find them out. They all are related with each other, Monaco is a little out of the main way, but there are some links that way, too.

I like the name. I was very worried it would be something old fashioned. What are the 10 most popular names for boys and girls in Norway?

On the Name Poll earlier, somebody said that Inge would be a nice name for the little princess. Now, I think, Inge is a boy's name in Norway, though it is a girl's name in Sweden and Finland.

I have a book which name is "Liebe Inge", written by Norwegian Berte Bratt, and there Inge is a boy. That is just the main point of the book. I do not know, how the book is called in Norway. (I have got (and bought) lots of books of BB. I used to know her, when sie lived in Kiel.)

I love the name :heart:

Ingrid was my favourite from the beginning, but I didn't expect the princess to be actually called that.

Picture: Haakon and the Prime Minister

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 174
Dagbladet

Tante Märtha Louise fornøyd

Sammen med sin mann Ari Behn og datteren Maud Angelica møtte den nybakte tanten pressen utenfor sitt hjem i Lommedalen torsdag formiddag.

Familien hadde da ennå ikke besøkt kronprinsparet og nyfødte prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra, men skulle etter planen gjøre det senere på dagen.

- Vi vet ikke noe om bakgrunnen for navnevalget, men tror foreldrene tenkte på tradisjoner. Ingrid Alexandra er jo oppkalt etter kong Olav, som jo het Alexander, sa prinsesse Märtha Louise.

- Nå er vi veldig glade for at fødselen gikk bra, for det er ingen selvfølge. Det er vi takknemlige for, sa hun.

- Vi er også glade for at det ble en jente. Det er ny tradisjon som skapes, og det blir jo spennende.

Prinsesse Märtha Louise og Ari Behn tror deres datter Maud Angelica vil sette stor pris på å ha fått en kusine.

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 178
Well, I have to say that I'm not a fan of the name. Certainly not in tandem. I would have preferred something else. Ingrid should be the pet name not Alexandra. Less syllables for one reason.

Two of the people Ingrid Alexandra is named for: Queen Alexandra and King Olav (Alexander). From Olav- Menneske og Monark by Jo Benkow

I like the combination of names. But I think Ingrid is going to be the name used in everyday life. The Norwegian Royals tend to use just one name.

Princess Ragnhild Alexandra = Ragnhild
Princess Astrid Maud Ingeborg = Astrid
King Harald
Queen Sonja
Crown Prince Haakon Magnus = Haakon
Crown Princess Mette-Marit = I think Haakon and her family sometimes just refers to her as Mette.
Princess Märtha Louise = Märtha, when she's talked about by her family in less formal situations.

Attachments

• Untitled_0.jpg
    Untitled_0.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 171
Originally posted by Alexandra@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 7:34 am
I think he became Olav then later in life, Olav was none of his original names, but I don't know it quite for sure. Anyway, Olav sounds more Norwegian.
When Prince Carl of Denmark accepted the throne in Norway in 1905, he decided that himself and his little son should take new names from the old line of Norwegian kings. This, according to theories, to make a bond to his new country. Therefore King Haakon 8 and Crown Prince Olav (later King Olav 5).

And for the record it think the little princess got very nice name, a combination of old and new!

I think Ingrid Alexandra are great names for the princess! :flower:

Norway's New Princess Named

22 JANUARY 2004
Two days after Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway welcomed their new daughter, the country's prime minister Kjell Magne Bondevik revealed the little one's name.

The newborn heir to the throne is called Ingrid Alexandra – a moniker, revealed the statesman, which carries significant royal weight.

Ingrid, a popular Norwegian girls' name is also a prominent name in the Bernadotte family tree, including Queen Ingrid, the current Queen Margrethe's mother. "The name… is also used in the crown princess' family, and is therefore a fine combination of the two," explained Bondevik. He also remarked that Alexandra is derived from King Olav, the baby's great-grandfather, who was originally called Alexander.

And as the Norwegian public celebrates the birth of the future queen, first-time dad Crown Prince Haakon has spoken for the first time about his little princess, born on Monday. Calling baby Ingrid "the finest, most beautiful little girl in the world", he said her arrival was "a powerful and wonderful experience".

Attachments

• haakon_dop1b.jpg
    haakon_dop1b.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 162
OSLO 2004-1-21 - The birth of Crown Princess Mette Marit and Crown Prince Haakon's daughter was honoured by a salute from the Akershus at noon January 21, 2004. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway gave birth to a daughter 9.14 am Wednesday. According to the Royal family's press officer Sven Gj. Gjeruldsen both the child and her parents are were well.

Attachments

• __12452___12513___12540___12472__1_IA_01.jpg
    __12452___12513___12540___12472__1_IA_01.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 212
OSLO 2004-1-21 - The birth of Crown Princess Mette Marit and Crown Prince Haakon's daughter was honoured by a salute from the Akershus at noon January 21, 2004. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway gave birth to a daughter 9.14 am Wednesday. According to the Royal family's press officer Sven Gj. Gjeruldsen both the child and her parents are were well.

Attachments

• __12452___12513___12540___12472__2_IA_02.jpg
    __12452___12513___12540___12472__2_IA_02.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 177
TRONDHEIM 2004-01-21 - The birth of Crown Princess Mette Marit and Crown Prince Haakon's daughter was honoured by a salute from the Kristiansten fortress at noon January 21, 2004. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway gave birth to a daughter 9.14 am Wednesday. According to the Royal family's press officer Sven Gj. Gjeruldsen both the child and her parents are very well.

Attachments

• __12452___12513___12540___12472__3___IA_03.jpg
    __12452___12513___12540___12472__3___IA_03.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 164
King Olav's original names were: Alexander Edward Christian Frederik. Christian Frederik because he was in line for the throne of Denmark, though it wasn't likely he'd inherit. It's the same now: Felix and Nicolai also have those names within, and they're in the same situation: sons of the second son in the Danish Royal family. Alexander and Edward for his maternal grandmother and grandfather.

Princess Ragnhild stated in an interview with VG that she hoped that the princess wouldn't be named after her, as Ragnhild is quite difficult for most foreigners to pronounce. I doubt she thought that her second name might be used.

:innocent:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom