Mette-Marit goes back to school

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the "Hello" article went a little overboard with their praise. Gee, how does she do it, going to school with three children and royal duties? Well, nannies, cooks, and cleaning ladies sure help. Not to mention having someone who does the laundry, shopping and organizing for you. And to all of you out there who tried unsuccessfully to get into a Harvard program, well, just marry a prince and voila! no problem. I think supporting her efforts in getting an education is nobel, but let's not forget she is in a very priviledged position and therefore her feat in obtaining certificates and eventually a degree is really not that extrordinary.

CP Mette-Marit has completed a course in international management and public policy at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in the United States. :flowers:

kongehuset.no - Kurs på Harvard
Google Translation

I wonder what her classmates at harvard thought when they found out that the crown princess of Norway was their classmate and how she was never spotted by the Cambridge press because I never heard she was at hArvard

She was only at Harvard for 2 weeks. Her classmates were the other members of her WEF Young Global Leaders class, so they already were familiar with her.

She attended this cource together with Princess Mathilde of Belgium.

I think that Mette-Marit does not study to complete any degree but rather to fulfill her personal interests or when she feels that some classes might be related to her job. Therefore I'm not surprised that she didn't finish the course of her study.

An other artical about her BI sudies... Google Fordító

I find it a little bit strange, that she couldn't finished her studies, because of her job as princess and of her familylife... Other women in the world make also studies and they have also job and family. Yes it is not easy, but I think many of them haven't got servants, and assistants and babysitters and and and... But it is also true, that she doesn't need any degree for her job as crownprincess... :)

Well, she doesn´t need to have a complete degree for her job. I think it is quite enough to be well educated.
I believe she rather picked her studies based on personal interest (for her social work), rather than finishing a degree because of pure ambition.

The final project is a logic finish of any studies, so every student shows the outcome of the whole work done.
She may be a princess and may not finish her studies, but it would be logical to be all done in the end (as for every student including me ;) ).

I am glad that she found the courage to go back to school,attend university and enroll in courses that she found interesting or useful for her work.It would be great if she completed her studies with a degree,because after all a lot of people respect and appreciate you more if you have obtained a university title.(It shows that you are disciplined,goal-oriented and dedicated even when it requires hard work and sometimes isn´t that exciting...)
However,I am sure she will benefit from these courses no matter if she gets a degree or not:)

I think that Mette-Marit does not study to complete any degree but rather to fulfill her personal interests or when she feels that some classes might be related to her job. Therefore I'm not surprised that she didn't finish the course of her study.

A topic in Norwegian media this week after the documentary aired has actually been whether or not someone who doesn't finish what she starts in her studies is a good role-model for Norwegian girls. What is seen as the problem in Norway with this, is that the court portrayed her as going back to school - and now it is just one more educational prospect that Mette-Marit hasn't finished.

If, as you say, they had said that the Crown Princess would take some courses related to her job - instead of joining for the entire programme (and then not finish that as scheduled) - it would have given a much better impression PR-wise.

It was never implied by the court that she was indeed finishing a degree/starting a degree program, correct? It just said she was taking courses. If the court had said "Yes, Mette Marit is going back to finish her degree/attain a degree" then perhaps we could say she didn't finish anything.

I've taken several classes at my local university for personal enrichment and to understand social issues more deeply, isn't this what Mette Marit is doing as well? I cannot knock anyone for gaining more education. Whether it be by a few classes or getting a degree.

Did Mette Marit even finish her basic education in Norway? What Norwegians need to complete before they go for a University education. I know in America it is called High School.

I know she has never enrolled in a University course. She has what we would call in America "audited" courses like she did in London and Harvard, but she has never physically enrolled. She goes, maybe does the work, but does not have the ability to get in on her own merits.

This bothers me a little bit. But I am torn. On one had, I applaud her for getting more education. She needs it. But on the other, i would not be afforded the same education b/c I am not a crown princess. I worked hard for my 2 Uni degrees. So it is hard for me to respect her on this point.

I would hope she continues to take courses, but towards a real degree.

I wonder how her education gap effects her marriage to Hakkon? Is he not well educated too? I am not doubting their love, but I imagine that it must be difficult.

Did Mette Marit even finish her basic education in Norway? What Norwegians need to complete before they go for a University education. I know in America it is called High School.

I know she has never enrolled in a University course. She has what we would call in America "audited" courses like she did in London and Harvard, but she has never physically enrolled. She goes, maybe does the work, but does not have the ability to get in on her own merits.

This bothers me a little bit. But I am torn. On one had, I applaud her for getting more education. She needs it. But on the other, i would not be afforded the same education b/c I am not a crown princess. I worked hard for my 2 Uni degrees. So it is hard for me to respect her on this point.

I would hope she continues to take courses, but towards a real degree.

I wonder how her education gap effects her marriage to Hakkon? Is he not well educated too? I am not doubting their love, but I imagine that it must be difficult.

Haakon has a Bachelors from UC Berkeley and a Masters from LSE as well as attending classes at University of Oslo, so he's not doing too poorly ;)

I believe M-M finished the Norwegian equivalent of high school but as you said the subsequent education has been through auditing so she probably hasn't had to complete any assessment (if the courses were P/F based).

I understand your feelings but M-M is not exactly applying for a job millions of others are as well nor is she taking the place of someone else in the course so her studies haven't been detrimental to someone "more worthy" per se.

As long as she (as every parent should) encourages Marius, Ingrid Alexandra, and Sverre to get as much education as possible when their time comes, I don't see anything wrong and she'll have her own class experiences to tell them

I don´t believe that going to school or university necessarily makes you a smarter person-there are a lot of successful artists,entrepreneurs and political leaders who didn´t receive a lot of formal education and still managed to achieve a lot.
I understand that it´s unfair if someone gets a degree with working less than a "normal" student who needs to finish high school and do everything his university expects from them,but it´s better to take a few lessons without attaining a degree than just doing nothing to increase your knowledge and understanding.

.....They say that we are better educated than our parents' generation. What they mean is that we go to school longer. They are not the same thing. Douglas Yates

I think what norwegianne was eluding to is the fact that prior to her marriage she started several higher education programs and always dropped out. Considering that she is financially wealthy and has job security for life only because of marriage and not merit, Norwegian girls are best advised to look elsewhere for a proper role model.

That´s true,in this way she is not a good example & it´s rather disappointing that she doesn´t finish the university course with a degree.At least I hope that she will make sure that her children receive a good education and become disciplined and goal-orientated students so they can be positive role models young norwegians can emulate.More than that it will give them a sense of accomplishment and purpose and make them more confident no matter what kind of career choice they will make when they are older.

And it was said, she made rarely official programmes because of her study. But if she only audited courses, than I don't understand why didn't she work more... (But I don't understand too, why does she attend so rarely to official programms in general. I think in this year she made maybe 10-15 official programmes?)

I personally admire Mette Marit for her aspirations and wish her everything best. She's a wonderful princess and will also be a wonderful queen in the future. :flowers:

I'm really glad for Mette-Marit.
Her decision to go back to school, so to speak, was a wise one; it highlights the importance of education and sends the right message to young people.

Do I understand correct? She finishes her study and get a diplom? As other student at the BI or other university? Than she will be not "less" (low-skilled) than other CPrincess like Maxima or Mary?

I'm really glad for Mette-Marit.
Her decision to go back to school, so to speak, was a wise one; it highlights the importance of education and sends the right message to young people.

Well said - I completely agree. Mette-Marit can be very proud of herself. One more reason to really like this woman.

M-M's new degree is an Executive MBA (EMBA), not an MBA. The EMBA programs were developed to meet the educational needs of managers and executives (and Princesses), allowing the student to earn a business-related graduate degree in two years or less while working (or Princessing) full time. Participants come from every type and size of organization – profit, nonprofit, government – representing a variety of industries. EMBA students typically have a higher level of work experience, often 10 years or more, compared to other MBA students. You need no high school, undergraduate or vocational training to enter into an eMBA program. The only requirements (at least here in the U.S.) is a sponsor and much convertable currency. The course of study is remedial. Covers math, world history and other set subjects. Then, as the program draws to a close, the students study for the last two weeks in some exotic location (not chosen by the students). I have a friend who has an eMBA from Emory University here in Atlanta. His exotic "study" trip was to Japan. He told me no one fails, just like Sandhurst.

In response to the increasing number of EMBA programs offered, The Executive MBA Council was formed in 1981 to advance executive education.

Thanks, I understand it now. Than maybe this was the reason, that MM didn't work so hard in this year.

Well i has not been claimed by the court but the are news on the CP Mette-Marit finishing her Master's degree flying in the air. If that is true I am very happy for her as she deserves it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom