The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Norway > Crown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-08-2005, 01:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
In her speech Mette-Marit said amongst otherthings that [....]"This is a conference with great importance for many, we make an agenda, an agenda for the Norway we want in the next century. A Norway where diversity, tolerence and respect are important for the nation and the lives we live together[......] Everyone want someone to love you, that is something we have in common, and what we must build on. We should appreaciate the differences, not use them treat people and their rights differently" [.....]
(I find it very difficult to translate speeches, it sounds less pompus in Norwegian)

The speech in Norwegian from http://www.nordlandssykehuset.no/

Picture from the hospital in Nordland that was responsible for the conference
http://www.nordlandssykehuset.no/ and www.an.no
Would anyone else be able to translate the whole speech into english? I would love to read it.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

From the Conference in Bodø August 29th

Leaving Bodø for the airport

There are also many pictures from their trip to Buskerud at www.isifa.com but most of theese are already posted from Drammens Tidende earlier in this thread

Quote:
Crown Prince Haakon is present when the foundation stone of the New Akershus University Hospital is put down 29.09.05
More from www.isifa.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	is_11257064.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	201754   Click image for larger version

Name:	is_11257066.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	201755   Click image for larger version

Name:	is_11257068.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	201756  

Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Aristocracy

it is fascinating. Mette-Marit not only managed to turn her past from what appeared to be a liability (back then) to almost an asset for the royal family of Norway, but unlike other people in her position [Diana being a bright exception], she has adopted substantial, albeit not uniformly accepted and at times controversial, social issues as a cause to pursue.
She is a resolute woman. Good for her!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

i know how strange it may seem to most people that mm is supporting such a non-traditional cause. however, i find it great. she is the first royal to do this and quite a pioneer, so i find it great that she put up courage to do it, since it was expected she would be critisized. my congrats and all the best in her support to the cause!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i know how strange it may seem to most people that mm is supporting such a non-traditional cause. however, i find it great. she is the first royal to do this and quite a pioneer, so i find it great that she put up courage to do it, since it was expected she would be critisized. my congrats and all the best in her support to the cause!
Right on!
Societal needs keep changing drastically and good monarchs are the ones who keep abreast with change.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I certainly applaud Mette-Marit for having the courage to support such a non-traditional cause.
Usually, the Princesses prefer more traditional and 'safe' options, like work connected with orphans or homeless.

It's really brave for the Princess to express her support for the cause.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I applaud her too being the first Princess to do so
Old 12-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Aristocracy

Good for her,homosexuality is not a political issue it's a human issue.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Egalite' View Post
it is fascinating. Mette-Marit not only managed to turn her past from what appeared to be a liability (back then) to almost an asset for the royal family of Norway, but unlike other people in her position [Diana being a bright exception], she has adopted substantial, albeit not uniformly accepted and at times controversial, social issues as a cause to pursue.
She is a resolute woman. Good for her!
I could not agree more!

MM started as the one who was almost unsuitable and obviously had problems with her role and what to make of it, she looked awkward and uncomforable in public and the only word that came to my mind when looking at her way to dress was FRUMPY!!!

Now, after just a few years and with the help & support of her husband & the Kings, what a change. MM developed into a self assured CP, not afraid of taking on unpopular subjects (because these issues are close to her heart and NOT because she's fishing for compliments) that become her own field of interest where she gets recognition & acceptance. Regarding her appearances, she obviously got some good advice on how to dress etc and looks something between appropriate and very nice these days.

She seems to have made peace with herself, her past and what can be called her future roadmap and if there was a poll about CPs and being content or satisfied with their lives / roles, I'd put MM on top of the leaderboard, together with Maxima. Now looking back, MM - unintentionally - enabled the monarchy to modernize and she and Haakon are one of the most settled CPs in Europe, again together with WA & Maxima.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalone3 View Post
Good for her,homosexuality is not a political issue it's a human issue.
My thoughts exactly! It is wonderful that she is lending support for gay rights. It is about time that we start seeing royals and other world leaders taking a stand against intolerance and homophobia. Mette-Marit is an outstanding example of what a crown princess should be.