Mette-Marit and Maternity Leave

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no not yet , isnt she going to the uk next week??? with the King and queen?

rominet09 said:
One of the pix were published in Point de Vue, stating Mette-Marit was on her way to the hospital to see Sverre à few weeks ago.
As for Rex pix, nobody so far has succeeded in enlarging them
Why was he in the hospital? was this right after he was born?
The Skiing pictures are great. If MM is in such great shape I guess that means she'll be back soon.

qui mal y pense said:
Why was he in the hospital? was this right after he was born?
The Skiing pictures are great. If MM is in such great shape I guess that means she'll be back soon.
She had about six/seven months of maternity leave with Ingrid Alexandra, I don't see why this should be any different. Traditionally maternity leave in Norway is about that long, if not longer, so it is nothing unusual about it. She will make an appearance on the balcony on the national day, probably.

norwegianne said:
She had about six/seven months of maternity leave with Ingrid Alexandra, I don't see why this should be any different. Traditionally maternity leave in Norway is about that long, if not longer, so it is nothing unusual about it. She will make an appearance on the balcony on the national day, probably.

So she will not like Mary, return earlyer from her Maternetyleave because she is the crownprincess??
I think six/seven months so very long, here in holland, maternenity leave is about 6 till 8 weeks!!:cool:

So what if Mary went to work earlier?
Each person to their own....

mirrjam said:
So she will not like Mary, return earlyer from her Maternetyleave because she is the crownprincess??
I think six/seven months so very long, here in holland, maternenity leave is about 6 till 8 weeks!!:cool:

Well, 6 to 8 weeks sound very short to my. Why have a kid if you've got to join the rat race again six weeks after giving birth?
I think that MM could take part in a couple of functions even if she is on maternity leave. It's not as if she has to go out to work every day, so she could fit the occasional public appearance in her schedule.

I agree with you smilla , she could fit in a few functions,
I know she will want to spend time with her baby , but 3 hours here and there
wouldnt hurt her, but I suppose other people have that time off.

Last edited:
She is going to Holmenkollen skijump competition(part of the big ski festival, an important national event broadcast on TV) together with her husband and the King and Queen on the 12th of March. Hopefully the children will go also, as they have the last two years.

I dont think we will not see her at all in 6 monhts she appeared for christmas service only 3 weeks after she gave birth and for Christans christening. Also last time she appeared whilst on materney leave, but I agree, some more events in and around Oslo now and then would not hurt at all. She has nannies and a husband afterall

Families in Norway have the right to 12 months payed maternety leave.

Last edited:
Larzen said:
, but I agree, some more events in and around Oslo now and then would not hurt at all. She has nannies and a husband afterall

It would simply be reasonable to fit in a couple of functions now and then. Hakoon and MM get paid to be representative figures of the state, so she ought to be exactly that. Nobody will expect her to abandon her babies. But given the low popularity of the Norwegian monarchy and herself, she should at least try to do something about that.

You can't possibly be serious when you compare MM with other working mothers! To get all dressed up and go smile at a public function for a few hours is hardly strenuous. Most mothers would love the opportunity to get out. I also highly doubt that she is spending hers days changing diapers and her nights sleepless.

qui mal y pense said:
You can't possibly be serious when you compare MM with other working mothers! To get all dressed up and go smile at a public function for a few hours is hardly strenuous. Most mothers would love the opportunity to get out. I also highly doubt that she is spending hers days changing diapers and her nights sleepless.

i agree. i think for all royals maternity leaves can't take that much (well, they can, but shouldn't). concerning acts in the city where they live, usually the capitals, i think they can attend without problems after the first month, it's only two hours at the most and babies take 3 hours to have the need to be breastfed. don't think the same applies for activities in other cities, though, since they need to take babies with them and that would be much hassle, but i see no problems in attending a short act once a week and in the female royal covering the capital's activities while the male travels for a day or two to visit another city. besides, as qui mal pense said, life of royals can't be compared with a normal citizen. the fact of having as much personal as they need is another really big reason for them to come back to their roles again. they don't have to if they don't want to, but i think it would say a lot of the person if, after a month or two, they are back into work (and mostly applied to scandinavian countries, where maternity leaves are much longer).

carlota said:
i think it would say a lot of the person if, after a month or two, they are back into work (and mostly applied to scandinavian countries, where maternity leaves are much longer).

Coming back earlier would say: "I care for my country, I want to represent it even if I am officially on leave, I appreciate that I am being paid good tax payers' money and I want to give something in return."
This might help MM's public image a lot. It's a pity that she apparently doesn't see this.

I would just like to point out that Mette-Marit did take a break in her maternity leave to attend Christian's christening. That was an official event, representing Norway, even if she was also godmother. She's also got other various, smaller engagements coming up, like Larzen pointed out. In addition, Sverre's not been too well, with a couple of visits to the hospital.

As bolla said, Mette-Marit is fairly popular in Norway, despite the latest polling data, and she's not growing less popular just because she's had a baby and is on maternity leave. 12 months is the custom for Norwegian families regarding leave from work with babies. A royal family cannot do it like that, so the major engagements stand, while the smaller ones are cut for a while to make room for the baby.

This all being said: Time for a new thread. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f47/haakon-mette-marit-current-events-part-13-a-9006.html

Last edited:
I would just like to know when will Mette Marit be resuming her royal duties? Its just that i don't visit this thread very often.

Can i say that i think they make a great couple and PHaakon is gorgeous!!!

Where is Mette Marit?

Once again Haakon is alone doing public appearances. Where is Mette? Still on maternity leave? I admit her recent trip to Switzerland was good but she is just not impressive overall. She sure hasn't turned out to be a great catch for Haakon and the crown in Norway.

Laviollette said:
Once again Haakon is alone doing public appearances. Where is Mette? Still on maternity leave? I admit her recent trip to Switzerland was good but she is just not impressive overall. She sure hasn't turned out to be a great catch for Haakon and the crown in Norway.
Her son is not yet even 6 months old, and she has 2 other children to take care of- they come first.

Aussie Princess said:
Her son is not yet even 6 months old, and she has 2 other children to take care of- they come first.

Totally agree with you :)

Aussie Princess said:

It's not as if she hasn't got nannies or is supposed to put in 40 hours of work a week. She'd really enhance her public image (and the Norwegian monarchy's) if she accompanied her husband once in a while. That definitely wouldn't mean she'd have to neglect her kids.

Agreed, and Mathilde is a hands on mother with 3 children as well and did not need 6 months to do nothing, and what is it going to be, one cream duty a month? Holmenkollen in March, Birthday in Sweden and Geneva in April, National day in May, how is she then going to manage June when there is a state visit from Spain where she better try and cut a good image considering her dreadful press in Spain, the Thai King birthday and a week of work for the coronation journey AND she is going to open a national park as well. Marius is in School, Ingrid is in day care and Sverre Magnus has then two nannies to take care of him whilst she get out and do some work for some hours in and around Oslo. LAst month she was in Bergen in a wedding, then surly she could be there for this special day as well

Earlier this week the Queen had 4 duties in one day, the doctor specifically told that both the King and Queen needed to reduce their agenda, then it would have been nice if she had helped her mother in law out and opened the museum or gone to the dinner in the evening. The Queen is always very involved in planning state visit and trips so she has alot to do right now and could use some help from her Daughter and Daughter in law.

another video of Haakon in Bergen you can hear him talk
http://www.bt.no/btv/index.jsp?file=http://www2.bt.no/multimedia/tvh/tvh.asx?pid=2248

another video from the opening, mostly about the strike but you can see haakon as well
http://www.bt.no/btv/index.jsp?file=http://www2.bt.no/multimedia/tvh/tvh.asx?pid=2249

A photoseries from BA
http://www.ba.no/bilder/bildeserier/article2115967.ece

From the opening, Haakon infront of the empty chairs where the musicians should have been sitting, BT

Attachments

• newPic_268_jpg_259129a.jpg
    newPic_268_jpg_259129a.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Why should she use the nanny if she doesn't want to? if she doesn't have to work a 40 hour week as you say, she can spend time with them herself. Work is something she does when not spending time with her children, not the other way round. Putting her children first is something I really respect her for, and one of the things I admire her for,and I couldn't respect a Princess and future Queen I didnt respect as a person,and I feel she does plenty of hard work for someone with three children.:) the idea that she should do more duties simply because she has the money to use a nanny is preposterous.She is not taking 6 months to do nothing.3 kids is not doing nothing.Good on Mathilde for going back to duties so soon, but that doesn't mean everyone has to. :)

Last edited:
I have ask this question in another post but do you think she could have the baby blues and thats why she it taking so long to come back . ( I know she is allowed to have materity leave ) but she could do a walk about onces a week or every other week??

Last edited:
sm1939 said:
I have ask this question in another post but do you think she could have the baby blues and thats why she it taking so long to come back . ( I know she is allowed to have materity leave ) but she could do a walking about onces a week or every other week??

That sounds possible. I think she has never been really comfortable with her public duties and maybe this is getting worse.

I still admire Haakon for sticking to his duty & go to Bergen.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=245148&d=1148541344
this is a really ironic picture!

I agree, Mette-Marit should get out there soon! Sure, she has 2 little children plus a grown Marius, but, really, Mathilde of Belgium, or even Cristina of Spain perform their duties more often. Mette-Marit get out more when she was pregnant, rather than now.
It's really lovely to see her in Geneva, but what about inside Norway? She could do so much...
I certainly she will appear on the Spanish State Visit & accompany the King & Queen, like she did for the Emperor & Empress of Japan back on 2005.

Smilla said:
It's not as if she hasn't got nannies or is supposed to put in 40 hours of work a week. She'd really enhance her public image (and the Norwegian monarchy's) if she accompanied her husband once in a while. That definitely wouldn't mean she'd have to neglect her kids.

I like Mette-Marit a lot but am disappointed in her lack of work ethic following the birth of Sverre Magnus. Mary and Letizia had their babies only a month or so before Mette-Marit had hers and they've been out and about in the last few months. Surely within the last month or so Mette-Marit could've been out and about, too.

Mette-Marit hardly had a rigorous schedule of royal duties before the birth of Ingrid Alexandra or Sverre Magnus where she was performing two or three royal duties a day, so I think it wouldn't be asking a lot of her to perform one or two engagments a week while still spending time with her children.

I wouldn't even really count her appearance at the Swedish king's birthday a royal duty. It was more of a party than anything and with so many other royals present, Mette-Marit would hardly have been the focus of the media attention or had the spotlight shone on her to make the two days cumbersome on her.

It leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth that she can holiday in Spain for Easter and celebrate Laurentien's birthday in Brussels but not perform at least one engagement in Norway once a week. Even factoring in the planning that would go towards the one event that would still leave her lots of time to spend with her kids.

Alexandria I agree with you. I like Mette-Marit too, but it seems as if she's disappeared from making royal appearances. Princess Mathilde of Belgian has three children also and seems to attend a great deal of engagements and she doesn't have a child as old as Marius. Perhaps she's still feeling the effects of a difficult pregnancy I don't know.:confused:

Couldn't agree more with the statement by Wartenberg 7!!!

I think that MM could use a break. She has 3 children. Mary and Letizia have one. The body changes when you have multiple pregancies and as you age. TO compare MM with Mathilde is difficult to because they are in different climates, different pregnancies ect. MM didn't rebound as quickly from this one. Give her a break. She might be suffering with post partum de[pression. Sometimes this can show up 6 months to a year after giving birth as the hormones in a woman's body are readjusting to normal.!!!
Linda 85

As I've said Mette-Marit could have some lingering problems from her last pregnancy as well as a post partum depression. I know that can occur any time after pregnancy. I've worked in post partum and labor and delivery for 30 years.:)

I agree with Alexandria too. I also like Mette-Marit and would like to see her preforming more royal duties but if she's suffering from any lingering effects from her last pregnancy she should be allowed to fully recover from them.

Do we have pics of Mette-Marit lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom