The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:03 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien
Abbie,that might be so in your country but yours is not Norway,and this whole discussion is moot to a fauld,tiresome even,even tho it's explained by others,over and over again,that Marius is perfectly happy with the extra sets of adults who love him and care.Once again,adopting is out of the question as Morten is around seeing Marius on a very regular basis.All get along well,especially thanks to a very understanding,broadminded and loving mother and step-dad and their families.
Just to clarify something for our European members, it is NOT common in the United States for a stepfather to adopt the children of his new wife if the children's biological father is still alive.

What Haakon and Mette-Marit have done is exactly what most American couples would have done in the same situation.
__________________

__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Smile Well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Just to clarify something for our European members, it is NOT common in the United States for a stepfather to adopt the children of his new wife if the children's biological father is still alive.

What Haakon and Mette-Marit have done is exactly what most American couples would have done in the same situation.
It is common in my Milieu of upbringing, ysbel.
I am sorry to contradict you, here.
It may not be a common thing to do where you were born and brought up.

Also, how can you speak for most American Couples, in this country?
You sound like a Spokesperson.
Do you know most American Couples?

Just asking.

But, regardless: I am glad this topic was brought up, here.
It is a good thing to ask, and I am also glad to read that this child is so loved by everyone in the picture.

That Marius, who is just precious to behold, is treated well is the important thing.

-- Abbie
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail
It is common in my Milieu of upbringing, ysbel.
I am sorry to contradict you, here.
It may not be a common thing to do where you were born and brought up.
Actually my own personal experience are couples from their first marriage or relationship who stay together and I know for a fact that THAT is not common in the U.S. so it would be rather foolhardy to claim that it is.

However, one can scan the availability of childraising literature in the U.S., to determine which childraising situations are more common and which are not. The national media has a financial incentive to write about more common experiences across the country because they can relate to more people and thereby sell more newspapers and books.

There is a wealth of childraising advice written in magazines, newspaper articles and books in the U.S. whose subject is how to manage the relationships with children who have two sets of parents; their parents and their parents re-married partners (most literature recommends letting the child keep their relationships with both of their natural parents); whereas literature about stepparents adopting children from the first marriage is very rare by comparison, although you do see some mention of it when the subject is abuse by the natural parent or if there is another reason to want to cut off the child's relationship with the natural parent.

Given Mette-Marit's and Marius' father's history of drug use, I wasn't sure if Marius' father was the type of person that Mette-Marit wanted to distance Marius from (if he is still into drugs, that would be a good reason for her to want to limit Marius' exposure to him) but it appears that Mette-Marit still wants Marius to have a relationship with his father so their situation seems quite like the situation you read most about with American couples who raise children from their first relationships or marriages.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mphs, United States
Posts: 30
Quote:
so their situation seems quite like the situation you read most about with American couples who raise children from their first relationships or marriages.

I agree. Their situation is very similar to that of a divorced couple who share joint custody and have both remarried. In those instances, it's not seen as "necessary" for the stepparent to legally adopt the child for him or her to feel like part of the family, so I don't see why the situation with Morten, Mette-Marit, Haakon, and Celina (I think that's the name of Morten's wife's) should be any different. They appear to have handled the situation very well.

I can understand why some people would want Haakon to adopt Marius, but I think it's important to forget about the "royal thing" for a minute. Morten's wife isn't expected to make a move towards formally adopting Marius. After all, Mette-Marit is his mother, a big part of his life, and hasn't been declared an unfit parent. It'd be insulting towards Mette-Marit (and overstepping a boundary IMO) if Morten's wife did that since she has no grounds to do so.

In my opinion, it would be just as insulting towards Morten if Mette-Marit's husband did the same thing - even if that husband does happen to be the future King of Norway.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 05-18-2007, 01:12 PM
marezdote's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, United States
Posts: 1,528
Since Morten is involved in Maruis' life there would be no reason for Haakon to adopt him just as there would be no reason for Morten's wife to adopt him because Mette-Marit is in his life. And as norwegianne pointed out it would not even be legal for Haakon to adopt Marius as Morten is a big part of his life. Anyway, legal documents don't make people family, love does.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Her_Majesty's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bochum, Germany
Posts: 8,554
Stepfathers in Europe usually adopt the wife's children when the biological father is dead or doesn't accept his child.
So, I don't understad the discussion in this thread.

You can clearly see that Haakon loves Marius and totally accepted him as a "son". So, IMO there's no adoption needed.

Morten Borg is Marius' father and an important part in his life. He takes part in "marius's life". Mette-Marit often involves Morten in his life.
This year Marius spent Christmas with his dad and his wife (I think).



About the rest of the Royal family: They all accepted Marius. The King and Queen call him "their grandchild".
It' great to see Marius on the "Official Family Portraits" like the Christmas Photos, with the Royal Couple and the rest of the Family.
marius appears in front of Skaugum on May 17th every year and took part in the Coronation celebrations in 2006.
__________________
Have a look at TRF Rules and FAQ



Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 05-18-2007, 02:15 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
As interesting as it is - the adoption practices in other countries have nothing to do with this thread, as everybody involved are Norwegian citizens and live in Norway. Further discussion of how adoption is done in other countries, in this thread, will be deleted.

Norwegianne
Norwegian forum moderator.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mexico, Mexico
Posts: 287
I think that the prince is a great father for his children, of course, for Marius, too. I belive that the people should see that this prince is wonderful, and that he is better father that the prince Charles. Always, for me, prince Haakon is the "true father" of Marius because he is demostrated this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,734
I do not know if in Norway will be the same than in Argentina, my country. Here, it's usual that after a while of acquaitance, stepchildren would call their stepfathers , plainly "papa", even if he is not their biological "papa" (I do not used the word "real" for some stepfathers are more "real fathers" than the biological ones... ). Some others calls their stepfathers by their first name, but these are minorities...and most of the time, these stepfathers are dying to be called "papa"!

However,I do not know if in Norway this would be correct...

Vanesa.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 05-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Roxsteve's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Any City, United States
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I wonder if one reason why Prince Sverre Magnus did not receive the style HRH was to make clear to Marius that - while Ingrid is the second in line and thus will become queen one day - his brother Sverre is just a boy like himself. Okay, he is "prince" Sverre but then his father is a prince, too, but he does not have a title that Marius doesn't have.

It would fit in with what is heard about the way Haakon and Mette-Marit really care for others - a way to give Marius the feeling that he is just as worthy as his "royal" siblings. Of course, it fits in as well with the carefulness the norwegian Royals handle their public image - in times when quite some "subjects" are convinced they don't need a Royal family, it is wise to reduce the amount of Royals who have a right to a special style.

Why would they have to do that with Sverre? It would not be fair to him, right? Marius should understand, by now, that he is not a member of the royal family. His father and mother were not members of the royal family when he was born. It seems unfair to the little boy! I'm sure he does not care and may never care, but if that is the reason, I don't think it is right...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian
I think that the prince is a great father for his children, of course, for Marius, too. I belive that the people should see that this prince is wonderful, and that he is better father that the prince Charles. Always, for me, prince Haakon is the "true father" of Marius because he is demostrated this.
I quite agree with you that Crown Prince Haakon is an excellent father for all 3 of his kids. But I disagree that he is the 'ture' father - Marius seems to be quite close with his biological father as well. Haakon is an excellent (I daresay, model) step-father, friend and I'm sure he loves Marius like a son, but the boy's true father is his father - it's unfair to deprive him of that.

And I have totally different idea of the kind of father Prince Charles was/is but that's a topic for totally different discussion.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:32 AM
crm2317's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,886
I think Haakon and MArius have a wonderful relationship however i think he calls him Haakon as Marius already has a father who is very involved in his life.
Haakon has been a staple part of Marius's life since he was 3 years old and from all the video's I have seen of the family they have a wonderful relationship and Haakon loves him like his own.
I remember when Mette-Marit was pregnant with Sverre Haakon did an interview saying he knew what it would be like to have two children but to have three would be a different story as he had no more hands
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:34 AM
crm2317's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,886
What does Marius call King Harald and Queen Sonja?

We have a thread about Marius' relationship with Crown Prince Haakon but I was curious as to what other members think he calls the King and Queen and what his relationship is like with them
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:38 AM
H.M. Margrethe's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Odense, Denmark
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317
We have a thread about Marius' relationship with Crown Prince Haakon but I was curious as to what other members think he calls the King and Queen and what his relationship is like with them
My guess is that he calls them either Harald and Sonja or perhaps grandfarther and grandmother but i don┤t know.
I also think that he has a nice relationship with them and i also think that they se him as a grandchilde.
__________________
Long live the royal family in Denmark

Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 AM
crm2317's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,886
I guess he calls them Harald and Sonja but they certainly seem to have a good relationship
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 PM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,195
The "object" of our affection:

kongehuset.no - Master Marius Borg H°iby

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 05-22-2007, 02:09 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien
The "object" of our affection:

kongehuset.no - Master Marius Borg H°iby

Very interesting that his English page has him titled Master, as well as his father titled Mr. when the Norwegian page uses neither. Linguistic differences
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
crm2317's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,886
I love how the page says he is the eldest of the children in the Crown Prince and Crown Princess's family . Makes a big differece to articles I have read where it says- also pictured is Marius, the princess's child from a previous relationship.

I think he is addressed as Master whereas his father is Mr because he is so young. When my little brother gets posted cards he is Master but my father would be Mr
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Rebafan81's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Akron, United States
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317
I love how the page says he is the eldest of the children in the Crown Prince and Crown Princess's family . Makes a big differece to articles I have read where it says- also pictured is Marius, the princess's child from a previous relationship.

I think he is addressed as Master whereas his father is Mr because he is so young. When my little brother gets posted cards he is Master but my father would be Mr
I also love the new website because even under CP HM page, it states that there are 3 children in the Crown Princely family. Everytime I see HM amd Marius together, they are touching each other and telling jokes, watch the video from May17th, 2007, they are laughing and HM is rubbing Marius back. Marius is one very lucky boy, remember he has sibling on both sides now, so it isn't like I-A and Magnus are his only siblings. I think everyone in the family should be commended for the way they have handled a very 21st century situation. To me HM is just a fantastic person that has a great heart, you see it everytime he interacts with one of his "kids", and I total agree, Marius is a very handsome young man.
In our family (USA) all young men are addressed as Master and when they get older it becomes Mister. When my son was young my mom always sent cards to Master "his name".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tˇrshavn, Faroe Islands
Posts: 221
Well, Haakon adopting Marius wouldn't be fair to Marius's ''actual'' father (just like it wouldn't be fair to Mette-Marit if Marius's step-mother tried to adopt him) He and Mette-Marit have - as far as I know - shared the responsibility for their son's upbringing since his birth. In other words, Marius is as much Morten's son as he is Mette-Marit's.

The only way Haakon (or Morten's wife) could - or should - adopt Marius was if Morten or Mette-Marit were somehow unwilling or uncapable of him.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
haakon magnus, harald v, marius borg h°iby, sonja


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marius Borg Hoiby Current Events: November 12, 2002 - January 30, 2006 Josefine Current Events Archive 196 01-30-2006 04:30 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess eleonore princess elisabeth princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]