Marius Borg Hoiby - Discussions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lsme said:
Personally, I think the credit should go to Marius for being such a well behaved, loving child. Remember, he did not choose to be a "not official" member of the Royal Family. It was Mette Marit and Haakon's (and Morten Borg's, too) choice to put him into a position of being considered by many throughout the world and certainly in this forum as the social and (in some cases because of his parents failure to legitimize their union) moral inferior of his half-sister and half brothers. I agree, it is nice to see Haakon showing Marius a little bit of the public affection that he so readily shows Ingrid and Sverre. Usually in most photographs that get published of Haakon and Mette-Marit with all three children, Haakon appears to be somewhat distant from Marius while openly showing his affection for his and Mette-Marit's children. The positions that people take in photographs in relation to the other people in the photo are often very revealing of their relationship with that person.
I completely disagree with your statement that Haakon rarely shows Marius public affection. Here are some pictures
Sharing a chocolate bar at Holmenkollen
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=233128&d=1142607018
Haakon along with Morten Borg attend Marius' ski competition
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=233126&d=1142607018
Article about Haakon and Marius going wind surfing
http://hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/07/12/princehaakon/
Haakon playing with Marius on the way to Marius' first day of school
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13943&d=1061223136
Haakon and Marius skiing together
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36174&d=1074450365
Haakon and Marius out walking together
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151043&d=1117296457
Haakon and Marius talking during the coronation celebrations
http://img40.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc158&image=62716_18.jpg

lsme said:
Personally, I think the credit should go to Marius for being such a well behaved, loving child. Remember, he did not choose to be a "not official" member of the Royal Family. It was Mette Marit and Haakon's (and Morten Borg's, too) choice to put him into a position of being considered by many throughout the world and certainly in this forum as the social and (in some cases because of his parents failure to legitimize their union) moral inferior of his half-sister and half brothers. I agree, it is nice to see Haakon showing Marius a little bit of the public affection that he so readily shows Ingrid and Sverre. Usually in most photographs that get published of Haakon and Mette-Marit with all three children, Haakon appears to be somewhat distant from Marius while openly showing his affection for his and Mette-Marit's children. The positions that people take in photographs in relation to the other people in the photo are often very revealing of their relationship with that person.

Although I agree that Marius seems to be a "well behaved, loving child" I disagree about Haakon not showing him affection. In my opinoin Haakon always seems to give a lot of attention to Marius and in turn Marius seems to really enjoy his stepfather.

Even though Marius can not have a title I've always felt that the entire royal family considers him a part of their family. For example they always include him in their family Christmas pictures.

Last edited:
marezdote said:
Although I agree that Marius seems to be a "well behaved, loving child" I disagree about Haakon not showing him affection. In my opinoin Haakon always seems to give a lot of attention to Marius and in turn Marius seems to really enjoy his stepfather.

Even though Marius can not have a title I've always felt that the entire royal family considers him a part of their family. For example they always include him in their family Christmas pictures.
I agree with everyone about the relationship between Marius and HM. HM is always holding Marius's hand or playing around with him. I think they have a great relationship and even remember HM talking in one interview about how is was going to teach "his boys" that IA was different because she was the crown princess. I think he and everyone in the royal family have gone a long way in including Marius. I think in the pictures recently taken we don't see HM holding his hand as much because he is getting older and because they now have two small children who at this point in their lives need more attention. Clearly you can see the affection between the two when they talk to one another. I think MM, HM and the entire royal family should be commended in the way they have handled the situation and how they have blended the two families.

I also think the reason Haakon seems more into his children is because they are so small and require more handeling. But I also agree that Marius' situation is less than ideal. His mother, sister and brother are on the balcony but he is not. Not sure how I would feel.

sylla said:
I also think the reason Haakon seems more into his children is because they are so small and require more handeling. But I also agree that Marius' situation is less than ideal. His mother, sister and brother are on the balcony but he is not. Not sure how I would feel.
I'm sure Marius is old enough that Mette-Marit and Haakon have explained the unique situation that he is in. Frankly, I doubt many 9 year old boys would want to stand on the balcony in the hot sun for hours. And IIRC the balcony on National Day is really the only royal event that the kids participate in where Marius does not participate. He was with the family viewing the children's parade on National Day, he has gone to Holmenkollen Ski Festival the past few years, and he was at the Coronation celebrations.

The reason he is not on the balcony is that he left to join his classmates in the parade and paraded in front of the royal family. He was with the royal family during the earlier events.

Well, for all we know, the future adult Marius may just be thrilled not to have been burdened with a title and royal responsibilities. And just being associated with the RF will open many doors for him, like they did for M-L when she struck out on her own. So you are right, we really shouldn't be too concerned about him feeling left out. And above all, he is loved by all involved and that really matters.

Marius (and this on the photographic record I have seen)has always gotten tons of love from Haakun. Does anyone remember the picture on this forum of the crown prince holding a tired Marius in his arms during his own wedding? But getting back to the discussion on the CP couples holidays: wow, Mette-Marit's hair is what I call Peroxide!!!

ortino said:
wow, Mette-Marit's hair is what I call Peroxide!!!

I guess it just gets bleached naturally in summer. My son's hair is exactly the same: much darker in winter, but almost white in summer - AND he's absolutely not using anything chemical to lighten his hair colour.

This is the year 2006

lsme said:

Isme, somehow it bothers me that you write that Marius, and i quote, are SOCIAL AND MORAL INFERIOR to his brother and sister.
In my part of the world, Scandinavia, about 50% of all newborn childern are born out of wedllock. I spend a number of years in the United States and it is a great country, but I often heard people condemd birth control and having sex before marriage - at the same time some schools had to establish child care in order to keep all the young mothers in school so they at least could earn a highschool degree.
Marius is NOT social and moral inferiour, he is a great kid as far as I can see, and I am confident that he has some really dedicated parents/stepparents. I am also sure that CP Haakon is a great role model to Marius an not the least to the thousands of other step fathers all over the world.

lsme said:
considered by many throughout the world and certainly in this forum as the social and moral inferior of his half-sister and half brothers. Haakon appears to be somewhat distant from Marius while openly showing his affection for his and Mette-Marit's children.

Wow, that is an awful thing to say about a child. I don't consider him to be anything of the sort. As for Haakon being distant or less affectionate, that is not what I thought, seeing all the photos.
I am quite sure that there is no difference in the fatherly love he has for all the children, like a lot of step-parents, he has enough love to share between them all!
They seem to be wonderful parents

Birgit Hansen said:
Isme, somehow it bothers me that you write that Marius, and i quote, are SOCIAL AND MORAL INFERIOR to his brother and sister.
Marius is NOT social and moral inferiour, he is a great kid as far as I can see, and I am confident that he has some really dedicated parents/stepparents. I am also sure that CP Haakon is a great role model to Marius an not the least to the thousands of other step fathers all over the world.

I can only agree with Birgit Hansen: we can all be thankful that being born out of wedlock is no longer regarded as a sign of "social and moral inferiority" - and definitely never concerning the child who is born out of wedlock. I have never read a post in this forum referring to Marius as "socially and morally inferior" and, again, I am grateful that this is so.

ortino said:
Marius (and this on the photographic record I have seen)has always gotten tons of love from Haakun. Does anyone remember the picture on this forum of the crown prince holding a tired Marius in his arms during his own wedding? But getting back to the discussion on the CP couples holidays: wow, Mette-Marit's hair is what I call Peroxide!!!

I think you are talking of this picture, ortino. It is really a great one, one of my favourite of Haakon and Marius.

A1Wedding26.jpg
(from polfoto)

I really don't think that Crown Prince Haakon puts any difference between his blood children and Marius, they seem to be very close. Haakon was there for the most important events in Marius's life (btw, thanks kwanfan for posting all those magnificent pics), the way Haakon looks at Marious, holds his hand, talks to him - it all shows, imo, the great love he has for his stepson. And if Maruis really suffered from being the 'other child' for Haakon, do you really think he would look so happy and relaxed? Would he be the same smiling, happy kid he is now?
And it's not only Haakon, who treats him as a full family member. Queen Sonja and King Harald have shown their affection for him as well - do you remember the pics of the whole NRF from the last Christmas? I think they made it pretty obvious what a happy and united family it is.

Last edited:
I think when all three children get older it might get weird for certain royal events or maybe not. Who knows? But I found these pictures in the Norwegian Royals Celebrate Christmas thread and Marius's first Current Events thread and I have to say Haakon shows more affection towards Marius at times than Mette-Marit does and we know that Mette-Marit loves her son so I think that says a lot. More pictures :D.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32708&d=1072304035

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33173&d=1072564311

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=221340&d=1135024154

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57495&d=1100758961

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57494&d=1100758953 (even Martha Louise seems to enjoy Marius's company :))

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57489&d=1100758906

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57503&d=1100761528

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57505&d=1100761549

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70666&d=1103826256 (looking sweet holding Maud Angelica)

CA89ARKH.jpg
From Cover

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151062&d=1117298340

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151049&d=1117296859

CAVADS5R.jpg
From Cover

CASXEVS9.jpg
From Cover

CAG11DDY.jpg
From Cover

I think Marius is included as much of the other kids. Remember that he's slowly growing into his adolescence and he probably doesn't want to be seen with his parents as much. I think Haakon considers him a son and he can do a lot of things with Marius before he can with Ingrid Alexandra or Sverre Magnus.

Last edited:
CP Hakkon set a fine example of how a model step parent should be. You can see his geniune love and care for Mauris and given the fact that they're the royal family - I admire and salute the way he has brought Mauris into the family.

I think alot of it also does with his love for Mette-Marit when he was first dating her. That is, he chose to be with her knowing he would assume a parental role for Marius and he seems to have been all for it. That is such a great picture.

What a lovely family picture,they all look so happy together.Mauris looks very much apart of the family and very much at ease with The Crown Prince.

Then he is fantastic and it is precious,the photo is very romantic :) !!!!!!

Since I will not have access to a computer on Saturday, January 13th, I would just like to wish my very favorite "unofficial" member of the Norwegian Royal Family a very happy tenth birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIUS. May the coming year bring you joy, happiness and lots of fun.

Does the NRF release photos of Marius on his birthday the way they do for Ingrid and Sverre?

morhange said:
Does the NRF release photos of Marius on his birthday the way they do for Ingrid and Sverre?

I suppose not since Marius is not a "royal". He's not a future king or anything. And they are known for protecting the privacy of their kids.

Smilla said:
I suppose not since Marius is not a "royal". He's not a future king or anything. And they are known for protecting the privacy of their kids.
You are probably right, and the family is right to protect him from the press since he really has no obligation to the public but I know I would love to see some pictures of how he spent his day. Since the first time I read about the CP family, this young man has captured my heart. :wub: It really looks like MM did a great job with him as a single mother and then having HM to help raise him sure looks like it worked out great. Hopefully has he grows and goes through all the trials and tribulations of a teenager, he will remember that all his parents love him and want the best for him and I pray that the press really will leave him alone. To me, he is growing up way too fast, imagine how his mother feels. So although I want to see pictures, I certainly understand thier need to protect and shelter their children. :bang:

How do you think the Norwegian Royal family treats Marius?

I have been reading a lot of posts that question the treatment of Marius as a step-son and step-grandson to the Royal family. I was wondering how other's on the forum perceive his treatment.
I will start.... I think CP Haakon and Mette-Marit have done a wonderful job with Marius. I have seen them together a lot through the press and it seems to me that Haakon treats him like he is his child. CP HM is always talking to him, touching him and helping him out. Marius seems very happy when he is with his step-dad, mom and his siblings. I personally think he is treated like one of the family and has been since the beginning of their marriage. I think, IMO, that a lot of the attention that IA and SM receive is not because they are royal and he isn't but because they are younger and require more attention. This is not meant to offend anyone's opinion, we all have them, this is just my prospective.
Happy posting.....:cool:

Applause for NRF

Well this is simply only my opinion. I am relatively new to royal watching but I must say I applaud the NRF for their acceptance of Marius. I think their acceptance shows a great deal of courage and great leadership. I know at the time of the marriage it was a hot topic as well as a controversial topic that the future king of Norway was marrying a single mother. But the royal family has accepted both M-M and Marius and therfore set a good example for others on how to make a blended family work.

I was a little surprised that Marius was not at this weekend's sleigh ride with his other siblings but we did see him at the statue unveiling so it's not like he was completely hidden.

I do believe that as Marius ages the RF may choose to balance his appearances more. I think it will be interesting in the future to see how all this works out.

Now let me explain that better, I just mean he's getting older and much more aware of the royal lifestyle. It just seems inevitable that at some point the children will have to be treated a little different as they all age, after all there are 2 heirs to the throne and 1 that is not an heir, in H and M-M's family. So I just kind of wonder how things will be handled as the children age. But I really think that the RF has done a great job handling this and I trust that they will continue to handle this situation in a classy and nice manner in the future.

just a sidenote: I think that behind closed doors he will always be treated very well and as an equal to his siblings in the eyes of H and M-M. So a lot of my above post is more about how he will be treated more officially in official appearances and royal type things. However, it's definitely a good sign of acceptance of Marius since he has his own section on the RF website.

Last edited:
i've often commented on the close, loving relationship between all members. the king and queen seem to be very fond of marius and of course from photos it looks like he is a very respectful, happy young man. i give credit to his mother, father and his step father for his healthy upbringing. i've never seen anything suggesting he's treated differently in the family. that said he isn't royal and as best they can i feel they should keep his life "normal" as much as possible. his 1/2 sister is going to be queen, how normal can that be. the less lime light and attention to this young man the better, he looks happy and well adjusted, hopefully he can grow up with some privacy, and have a choice in the direction of his life. maybe they ask him about events he wants to attend, children are more likely to act out if they don't want to be there and i've never seen him step out of line or misbehave once- which is really amazing for anybody much less a child. how many photos have you seen of grown up royals acting like children for no other reason than they can. i totally agree with you that they are doing a great job.

Interesting thought that maybe he is asked about the events he wants to attend and he certainly is a very well behaved young man at all events he attends. I'm sure he's well prepared for all appearances and it seems that M-M would know him best and know his limits on how long he can stand or sit still.

I do remember one pic of him looking a little bored at an event but he wasn't misbehaving or anything. I actually felt bad for him b/c he looked so bored. I think the pic must have been from early in their marriage b/c he looked really young, if I'm remembering correctly.

I think the NRF did the modern, proper thing in embracing Marius, yet allowing him to be a "normal" kid. In prior times, Haakon would have had to renounce his claim to marry MM, and if he was allowed to marry her, Marius would have been basically been an open secret. Marius is known as Master Marius Borg-Hoiby, in polite society, and has his own page on the website. He also is included in all formal pictures of the family, and attends all royal functions, excluding those where children are not invited. (when he is with his mother- attending royal functions does not supercede his paternal visits.) He truly seems to love his little sister and brother and they him- IA seemed to adore him when she was a baby, always staring at him with big eyes. With love, caring, and the best interests of Marius at heart, I don't doubt that his parents, all of them, will help protect and guide him through his formative years.

There is not much I can add I agree wth the above posters they have done a wonderful job of incorporating Marius into the Royal family and are commited to have a happy stable home and he is a loved child. I think he might not have been around for the sleigh ride with the younger kids is maybe it was his turn to be with his other family, his father remarried a couple of years ago and from that new blended family Marious has a half- brother and a stepbrother.
Wittykitty:flowers:

I too agree with above posters that Marius has been well accepted into the royal family. How much more accepted can you get than having your photo and biography on the official website?

Sure we didn't see Marius at the sleigh ride. But who is to say that he wasn't sick, or was spending the weekend with his father? And have we thought about this, maybe he DIDN'T want to attend the sleigh ride.

I have seen many photos were Marius and Haakon seem to have a deep connection, and also, he seems to be very close to Harald. So I believe with all of my heart that he has been rightly accepted into the royal family.

Yes! I agree with what is said already in this forum. The Norwegian royal family seems to have found a great balance between "official" and "practical" acceptance of Marius. His page on the website and the comfortable relationship he has with the family seems to be evidence of these things.

Back
Top Bottom