Law exam pokes fun at royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
www.aftenposten.no

Law exam poked fun at the royals

Crown Prince Haakon and his wife, the former Mette-Marit Tjessem Hoiby, were the unwitting subjects of a recent law school exam that was meant to be humorous. It had a serious side, though: Students were supposed to help them handle a divorce.

Instead, students at the University of Bergen were rather shocked when they read through the legal problem they were supposed to solve.

It involved two people, "Mette" and "Magnus," who allegedly met each other at the "Kvartsfestivalen" in Kristiansand. (The crown prince's second name is "Magnus" and some of the first photos snapped of the pair were taken at the annual Quart music festival in Kristiansand.)

The exam went on to describe "Magnus" as "affluent and well-educated." He gives "Mette" a diamond necklace as a wedding gift and they eventually settle on an estate called "Skogum." (Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit will move into the royal estate called Skaugum later this year.)

But their idyllic life is shattered when "Mette" starts arranging wild parties (the crown princess is known for being active in house party circles in the mid-1990s) at "Skogum." Students were then asked to outline how "Mette" and "Magnus" should divide "Skognum" when their marriage breaks up.

University officials have since apologized for the exam and exam chairman Jan Andersson told newspaper VG that he takes responsibility. "We now see that perhaps this wasn't so funny as we thought it would be," Andersson said.

Andersson is Swedish and has only lived in Norway for a year. He said he didn't realize the exam might spur many negative associations connected to the couple.

A spokewoman at the Royal Palace in Oslo had no comment.

For me, what they did was not funny. Maybe they were doing it just for laughter. Thay should not make fun of their royals that's not respect anymore. The people of Norway are just very vocal on Princess Mette-Marit's past. They should forget it. They are just insulting them. :angry:

Where are Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit currently living now?

That does not strike me as funny. An institution teaching people the law of the land and justice should not poke fun at the leaders of the nation, or those in honorable offices in their government.
Plus a question of that nature will just start the tabloid rumor mill.
Very disrespectful. And that is a part of justice too- respect. And the school officials modeled the opposite- complete lack of respect.Shameful!

I am a bit confused. Didn't this happen already many years ago in 2003 (see this thread). Still, I totally agree with you, roseroyal. That's so disrespectful! Unbelievable!

"Andersson is Swedish and has only lived in Norway for a year. He said he didn't realize the exam might spur many negative associations connected to the couple."
That's ridiculous! A lame attempt to justify it in my opinion.

Two threads discussing the same same topic have been merged. Thanks for understanding.

HI, AS I UNDERSTAND THIS WAS a joke. FACT is told of a possible divorce? SINCE WHEN AND IF YOU BELIEVE THAT IS TRUE. ANOTHER QUESTION. Haakon CAN BE A KING DIVORCED? BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE HAPPY?

Because I didn't read the previous thread, I thought this was something recent. For royal couples people speculate on when and if they get married, when and if they have children so I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise that people speculate on whether or not someone will get a divorce. They already have in England with people betting on how long Prince William and Kate will be married even before they are married. Tacky to say the least

I get that it was a joke. As far as I know, they are not getting a divorce, and even if they were none of my business. That is not the issue. The issue is that it was not funny and should not have been used in a law exam!

Last edited:
While I understand it is meant as a joke it was decidedly not funny... not funny in the least!

I didn't think it was funny either, in fact, I was rolling my eyes reading the scenario. It got me to thinking thought about the legal aspect of said divorce of a couple in such a situation and had to go to my law study books. I can see why the Professor used such a situation, but to use the Crown Prince couple in the problem was very poor taste. He could have used a different way of presenting the legal problem. Since it was a long time ago and it hadn't been too long after the couple was married, I suppose the Professor thought it would capture students interest. Tacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom