The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Gentry

lady in waiting

Does Mette have a lady-in-waiting?

Old 08-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

At the norwegian court the Ladys in waiting title was removed in september 2001. Only Princess Astrid, the Kings sister still has one. That does not mean that the royals go out alone for engagements, but it is usually called the more gender neutral "protocoll secretarys" the King and CP Haakon has Aide de Camps from the military with them, they wear uniforms

I dont think Mette-Marits assistant would be very happy about beeing called a lady in waiting, seeing that he is a man His name is Anders Flågen and he used to be a Haakon Aide de Camp from the military before he was hired at the Crown Princely Household. Here he is with Mette-Marit at some occations, I have put a red arrown on him as he keeps very much in the background and not as prominent as Marys lady in waiting but he does more or less the same job. Now it is not always Flågen that goes with her, sometimes there is someone else but he is most commonly seen with her, forinstance on her trip to Malawi (first pic). Cabinett secretary Berit Tversland who is one of the highest ranking women at the court very often accompany the Queen

For very formal occations like the Japanes statevisit Mette-Marit was accompanied by a lady from the court (green arrow) but I dont know her name.

(Pictures from colourpress, aftenposten and ob.no)

Here is Princess Astrids Lady in Waiting behind Princess Märtha Louise, you can see she wears a red ribbon on he jacket with Astrids monogram, the protocol secretarys or other court memebers dont wear theese as far as I know, I dont know why Astrid kept her lady in waiting, maybe she insisted When Princess Märtha Louise does royal duties she is accompanied by her secretary Mari Sørlie

fromfotomarktplatz

Old 12-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Courtier

lady in waiting

who is mette marit's lady in waiting , if she has one????
Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Aristocracy

i dont think she has one
Old 03-05-2007, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote from Kongehuset: "I dag er det bare Prinsesse Astrid fru Ferner som har hoffdame."

Today - Princess Astrid Mrs. Ferner is the only royal in the Norwegian family with a lady-in-waiting. kongehuset.no - Ord og uttrykk
Old 03-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

The title Lady in Waiting was removed from the court (except for Astrid) in september 2001 if I remember correctly, until then Sonja had several and they also assisted Märtha Louise.

Now it is called protocoll adviser, they do much of the same work but also help with planning and speechwriting

Here are the two protocoll adviser that take turn in accompanying Mette-Marit (and Haakon when needed, but I think he often go just with an aide de camp)

Vibeke Hollekim
Quote:
An article from when she was hired

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit have expanded their staff to include journalist Vibeke Hollekim as their personal adviser

Hollekim's formal title in the crown couple's staff is protocol adviser, and she began work at the beginning of 2006.

more about her here New adviser for crown couple - Aftenposten.no
A pic of her with Mette-Marit in Geneva
ImageShack - Hosting :: spb2cab9ah4.jpg
And you can see her red hair behind MM at this recent event
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Feb2007/07020506.jpg

Anders Flågen

He is 40 (?) years old, in 2001 he was hired as the courts first full time Aid De Campe and was Crown Prince Haakons closest coworker. Some time after the wedding he was hired at the Crown Prince Couples court as a protocoll adviser, he travels with them on most trips abroad, he also accompanies Mette-Marit alot on her trips home and abroad, among others he went with ther to Malawi.

in Malawi
ImageShack - Hosting :: sp6bc28doh2.jpg
at a life saving event
ImageShack - Hosting :: sp77da49rx3.jpg
and he also comes in handy holding gifts
ImageShack - Hosting :: grymb1.jpg
In India
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3016/spdeb764ls2.jpg
Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
Now it is called protocoll adviser, they do much of the same work but also help with planning and speechwriting

Here are the two protocoll adviser that take turn in accompanying Mette-Marit (and Haakon when needed, but I think he often go just with an aide de camp)
Actually an "aide-de-camp(e?)" (or 'adc' for short) is an military person attached to the King or Crown Prince. I've seen pictures - of when Parliament was opened - of three adc's each standing to the side of the King and the Crown Prince (one each for air force, army and navy).

I'd say, that if the Norwegians have 'merged' the roles of "protocol adviser" and "adc", then that person must be especially gifted.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

You`d be hard pressed to find a crown jeweller in Norway, the royal family usually gets their jewellery cleaned/repaired at Gerrards in London, there are no longer a Mistress of the robes and as for Court Chaplain the bishop of Oslo is the priest for the royal family.

The new website offers good information on the staff at the royal court, from there one can read that Haakon and Mette-Marit has a staff of 14 people and there is a total of 150 people working for the royal family.

English
kongehuset.no - The organisation of the Royal Court

norwegian
kongehuset.no - Hoffets organisering