Ingrid Alexandra ,Sverre Magnus and Marius: discussion 2006 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume because he cannot see that well without his glasses? That seems to be the main reason for people to wear glasses; I don't think it's just a fashion item...

He seems to have started wearing them late 2018 - at least that's when we start seeing him with glasses.

Last edited:
Indeed, the latest from BB is that Queen Maxima will not attend as it means she will have to self-quarantine for ten days upon arriving in Norway.

Breaking that rule would be unacceptable for the NRF. And as such she has Cancelled attending.
So Have Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Rosario.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/16/health/coronavirus-immunity-antibodies.html

It would have been wonderful to have a royal event with some foreign guests even on a small scale. I am sure the godparents will find a different way to send their best wishes to their godchild now they cannot attend his confirmation.

Why are their confirmations only a year apart while their age difference is almost 2 years? Was Ingrid-Alexandra 'late' or is Sverre Magnus 'early'; or is it based on calendar year (Ingrid-Alexandra being born in January 2004; Sverre Magnus in December 2005)?

Why are their confirmations only a year apart while their age difference is almost 2 years? Was Ingrid-Alexandra 'late' or is Sverre Magnus 'early'; or is it based on calendar year (Ingrid-Alexandra being born in January 2004; Sverre Magnus in December 2005)?

One young human being is earlier ready to confirm his identity as a Christian and receive the Holy Communion, and the other one - later.

One young human being is earlier ready to confirm his identity as a Christian and receive the Holy Communion, and the other one - later.

Both seem to be doing at about the 'expected age', so I don't think that is the case here.

If the difference had been that one waited until they were in their twenties and the other did it at the 'expected age', then, I would agree that the one waiting until their twenties might have done it when they were truly ready... and not primarily out of tradition.

Found the following on a website by a Norwegain:
"It all takes place the year you turn 15".

So, the fact that Ingrid-Alexandra's birthday is in January and Sverre Magnus' birthday is in December seems to be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Not sure about Norway, but in DK it follows the class rather than the precise age of the confirmand.
So if the average age in say Sverre's class is 15, then they will all be confirmed at the same time, even if Sverre is a year older or younger.

Both seem to be doing at about the 'expected age', so I don't think that is the case here.

If the difference had been that one waited until they were in their twenties and the other did it at the 'expected age', then, I would agree that the one waiting until their twenties might have done it when they were truly ready... and not primarily out of tradition.

Found the following on a website by a Norwegain:
"It all takes place the year you turn 15".

So, the fact that Ingrid-Alexandra's birthday is in January and Sverre Magnus' birthday is in December seems to be the deciding factor.

Confirmation in Norway has lost all of legal function and mostly theologically emptied BUT has a huge cultural function still. this results from its historical causes and the recent reforms made. (different in sweden and danmark)

Confirmation, within the Anglican church here in NZ, was around 14/15 years-of-age when I was Confirmed and came after months of classes.

When you take your vow you are, quite simply, taking ownership of your spiritual growth that your Godparents had promised at your Baptism. You are accepted into a the church as a full member and are then able to participate in the Sacrament of Holt Communion.

For the faithful, it is a intensely private dialogue with the Father and it is essential that you are both theologically grounded and spiritually in communion with God.

It is not surpring that some are ready even before the set age. More surprising, many defer making such a significant vow feeling themselves not ready.

In the CofE confirmations normally take place when the individual is 13. I was 13 when I had my confirmation and it was a very casual affair, we were allowed to wear our regular church clothes to get confirmed by the bishop.

Ours was traditional wyh white dresses and veils.

At my confirmation in the Church of Sweden the boys wore white suits and the girls white dresses. Over this we all wore floor-length white capes that were loaned from the local parish. The cape was influenced by a similar dress in the Church of Norway and was introduced in the Church of Sweden in 1959. The cape is practical in the sense that it allows even those who can't afford new clothes to dress up for the ceremony and it signifies that, rich or poor, we're all equal in the eyes of G*d. It's also seen as an adult version of the christening gown signifying that you confirm the christening.

https://aredalensfhsk.se/ovriga-kurser/konfirmation/

Interesting that Juliane Snekkestad, Marius' girlfriend, will also be present. It is a sign that it is integrated into the family.

In the guest list for Princess Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation, Juliane Snekkestad was not only listed under "Family", but her name appeared in first place in the "Family" section, above even close relatives. Earlier in the relationshp, the Crown Prince Couple released a public statement defending her from what they viewed as a critical headline. So indeed, in practice the Royal Family appears to treat her as if she were a fiancée.

Last edited:
It's definitely a sign that her relationship with Marius is serious; maybe even they already live together.

It's definitely a sign that her relationship with Marius is serious; maybe even they already live together.

Yes, they have lived together for at least two years, including in a house which was, per the explanation here, likely to have been purchased for them by the Crown Prince and Crown Princess.

All confirmants dressed the same, in albs, nice.

The Irish hymn "Be Thou My Vision" was translated into Norwegian?

Last edited:
The Irish hymn "Be Thou My Vision" was translated into Norwegian?
Yes, it was translated in 1978 and was included in the Norwegian hymnal of 1985.

It's also been translated into Swedish and was a Top 10 hit in 2003 for Swedish singer Peter Jöback (friend of the Bernadottes) Norwegian singer Sissel Kyrkjebø.

And now the hymn "Zion's Daughter" is played.

I suppose all confirmants were already blessed by the bishop.

I see the king very weak with difficulties to walk. Is martha-louise having motor problems?

Moment of receiving the Holy Comunion for the first time - not shown.

Last edited:
Is it me or does the king look bad/frail? And MM seems to be sad.
But summa summarum its such a nice picture :)

The national costumes are really beautiful and refreshing to see tradition not being scrapped by the NRF.

^^^^^ I agree the women all look wonderful and the workmanship in those bunards is truly amazing. Sadly, it seems the men eschew the traditional garb just as those in the SRF do.

Some nice photos. I do wish Sverre was wearing the national costume. Unlike in Sweden, we do see the Norway royal men in them at times. It would have been nice to see that today like his sister.

Interesting gifts. I am sure his favorite, like any teen boy, will be the.....book on the supreme court :D You know you are a royal when you get works of art and books on supreme court history. But I am sure he will enjoy the canoe and surfboard.

Nice that so much family could get together for day during this. :flowers:

The king continues to look frail. It must be hard on Haakon with his wife ill, and his dad so frail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom