Ingrid Alexandra ,Sverre Magnus and Marius: discussion 2006 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's apparently clear to you but to me it is still confusing. Is she repeating grade 10 (as both Mbruno and I think based on your previous posts)? OR: is grade 10 in international school comparable to grade 9 in public school.

In that case she basically took grades 7-10 in international school while she would jsve taken grades 6-7 (primary school) and 8-9 (out of 8-10) of lower secondary school?!

Well, I think it's quite clear from my above posts, but let's go even more in detail:
1. She finishes from the ''last'' Lower secondary year (grade 10) at Oslo International School this summer.
2. But in the Norwegian public school system, she still has one year left at Lower secondary (grade 10).
Yes, as I wrote in post 302, the pupils start one year later than what they do in the International school, i.e at the age of 6, not 5.
So, instead of taking a free-year, she (together with her parents) has decided to attend that grade, before starting at Upper secondary school in the autumn of 2020.

Is that a repeating? Yes, but since grade 10 in the public school is in Norwegian, and grade 10 in the International school is in English, they differ quite a lot.

Thanks for your clarification.

What I still don't fully understand is why I-A cannot attend grade 11 in public school? Is it because of age? Because if she already mastered what is expected of a grade 10 pupil it seems a waste of time to do it again - and strange to force her to take a year of if she doesn't want to repeat a grade...

Or, as I and Mbruno asked previously but you still didn't confirm nor deny: is grade 10 in international school comparable to grade 9 in public school?

:previous: ''Grade 11''? Well, if you mean the first year in public Upper secondary school (Videregående skole), that is referred to as VG1. Due to her age, she can't start there before the autumn of 2020.

Is grade 10 in the International school comparable to grade 9 in public school?
When it comes to education, NO!
When it comes to age, YES!

:previous: ''Grade 11''? Well, if you mean the first year in public Upper secondary school (Videregående skole), that is referred to as VG1. Due to her age, she can't start there before the autumn of 2020.

Is grade 10 in the International school comparable to grade 9 in public school?
When it comes to education, NO!
When it comes to age, YES!

Thanks, I think I start to understand. So, I-A is forced to repeat grade 10 because the Norwegian public system is rather rigid as age is the leading factor instead of a student's learning.

:previous: She isn't forced! But as I wrote in the above posts (and I explain why), instead of taking one year of Upper secondary at the International school or a free year, it makes sense.

:previous: She isn't forced! But as I wrote in the above posts (and I explain why), instead of taking one year of Upper secondary at the International school or a free year, it makes sense.

Well, not literally forced of course but she is forced by the circumstances and rigid Norwegian system as although she mastered what she had to master to enter upper secondary school she is not allowed in because of age :flowers:

Could she have taken the first year of Upper Secondary at the international school and afterwards switch to the second year of public Upper Secondary school or would she have had to repeat first year of Upper Secondary school in that case?

So, if taking a year off is an option, does that mean she is past the age of compulsory education? I know that many countries in the South have a somewhat lower age (here it's up to 12 years - but debating to raise it at least to 14) but I would expect Norwegians to require their (15-year old) teenagers to be in school.

Could she have taken the first year of Upper Secondary at the international school and afterwards switch to the second year of public Upper Secondary school or would she have had to repeat first year of Upper Secondary school in that case?
She would have had to repeat it.
Why? Because she can't start at VG2 before the year she turns 17. And anyway, it would be ''unnecessarily'' difficult for her to come straight from Upper secondary grade 1 in the English language and right to grade 2 in the Norwegian language. Yes, two completely different school-worlds.

So, if taking a year off is an option, does that mean she is past the age of compulsory education? I know that many countries in the South have a somewhat lower age (here it's up to 12 years - but debating to raise it at least to 14) but I would expect Norwegians to require their (15-year old) teenagers to be in school.
Primary school (Grades 1-7, ages 6-13) and Lower secondary school (Grades 8-10, ages 13-16) are compulsory, so then The CP-Couple would have had to seek permission from the county-municipality.

??

I still don't understand how she ended up in 10th grade to begin with . She started school in 2010 at the age of 6

10/11 - 1
11/12 - 2
12/13 - 3
13/14 - 4
14/15 - 5
15/16 - 6
16/17 - 7
17/18 - 8
18/19 - 9

Did she skip a grade somewhere ?

:previous: That's what I wondered about as well, especially since the media wrote that ''she started in 5th grade at the international school in 2014, following 4th grade in public school.'' But the media was probably not aware of the one-year difference between the two schools, and the fact that she then ''most likely'' went right to 6th grade.

Wow, IA has had a sudden growth spurt in the new photo compared to the last one of her with the Skaugum bats! She looks so grown up. I can't believe she's 16 already.

Nice to see that Ingrid Alexandra was chosen for this initiative. A great idea to keep the students connected to one another.

"Princess Ingrid Alexandra was 1 of 20 student council representatives from Uranienborg school who called more than 200 students to talk about how they are doing."

https://uranienborg.osloskolen.no/nyhetsarkiv/beste-elevrad-i-oslo/

I'm glad that Ingrid's already taking up leadership roles even as early as now. She seems to be someone who does not rely solely on being a Princess to be able to do something given that she is in a student council and she willingly took part in her school's activity to call up fellow students in order to check on them.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra will now attend Elvebakken high school. She starts this autumn.

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=184134&sek=112472
Link to the school's website.

So, after Ingrid-Alexandra left the international school, she did one year (grade 10) at Uranienborg ungdomsskole. Would that be to make an easier start at high school? Or was there a different reason to have this 'in-between-year' between the International School and high school?

It was necessary because of her age. Royal Norway explained it last year:

She would have had to repeat it.
Why? Because she can't start at VG2 before the year she turns 17. And anyway, it would be ''unnecessarily'' difficult for her to come straight from Upper secondary grade 1 in the English language and right to grade 2 in the Norwegian language. Yes, two completely different school-worlds.

Primary school (Grades 1-7, ages 6-13) and Lower secondary school (Grades 8-10, ages 13-16) are compulsory, so then The CP-Couple would have had to seek permission from the county-municipality.

??

And when was Ingrid Alexandra confirmed? I don't remember.

And because Ingrid Alexandra is the heir of the throne, there were never considered that she and her brother would have been confirmed together?

I wonder if Maxima and Pavlos will attend? Even though they are Sverre's godparents, the problem is the pandemic and the current travel restrictions.

And because Ingrid Alexandra is the heir of the throne, there were never considered that she and her brother would have been confirmed together?

Princess Ingrid Alexandra was confirmed in the Palace Chapel, not the local church in Asker. Apparently the Royal Family intends to make the same distinction between the heir and the sibling as they made in the previous generation. The christenings of Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus were differentiated as well with the former featuring many more guests from official Norway.

Royal Norway has put together a useful summary of other royal confirmations: Princess Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation: August 31, 2019

[...]

--------------------

Princess Märtha Louise on May 11th, 1986:

*Confirmed along with other confirmands in a private service in Asker Church (covering Asker municipality, where Skaugum is situated), although NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) was allowed in to take pictures. They also took official photos in Crown Princess Märtha's Drawing Room at Skaugum afterwards - plus some gala-pictures in The White Drawing Room at the palace in the evening (gallery-link).
*White-tie official gala-dinner at the palace in the evening, where the royal-procession was filmed by NRK (at least, that's what I've read). They were not allowed to cover the greetings/speeches.
No information whether some of it was photographed or not, but I can't remember seeing any photos.

Godparents: King Olav V of Norway (her paternal grandfather), Princess Ragnhild of Norway (her paternal aunt), Princess Margaretha of Denmark (her maternal great-aunt), Count Fleming of Rosenborg (her paternal first cousin once removed), Dagny Haraldsen (her maternal grandmother), Haakon Haraldsen (her maternal uncle), Nils Jørgen Astrup (businessman and friend of her father), and Ilmi Horn (born Riddervold, her mother’s childhood friend and maid of honour).

Known foreign royal guests: Not known to me.

--------------------

[...]

--------------------

Prince Haakon Magnus on October 9th, 1988:

*Received his instructions with Asker Church congregation (which, as I wrote above, covers Asker municipality, where Skaugum is situated).
But confirmed alone in a service in The Palace Chapel, where NRK (The state-owned Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) was allowed to film parts of it, while NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) stood for the photos. - They also took official pictures in The White Drawing Room afterwards - plus some gala-photos in the same room in the evening.
*White-tie official gala-dinner at the palace in the evening, where the greetings/royal-procession were filmed by NRK (at least, that's what I've read), but they were not allowed to cover the speeches.
And yes, NTB got to take pictures (although I've never seen any from the greetings, just the procession).

See gallery here, which includes photos of Haakon at Confirmation Camp, the RF attending a ''conversation-service'' (be aware that I wrote ''conversation,'' not confirmation) in Asker Church some days before the day itself, and King Olav V greeting his guests at the airport (gallery-link).

BTW: I have previously read (and therefore written in this thread) that the service and greetings/royal-procession were televised by NRK. Well, after having gone through the print-newspapers editions of VG and Aftenposten (the TV-guide-pages included) in their web-archives from October 9th, 1988, I've now found out that this was not the case. No, they just showed clips.

Godparents: King Olav V of Norway (his paternal grandfather), Princess Astrid of Norway (his paternal aunt), Queen Margrethe II of Denmark (his paternal second cousin once removed), King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden (his paternal third cousin), Princess Anne of the United Kingdom (his paternal third cousin), and Prince Carl Bernadotte (Prince in the Belgian nobility and former Prince of Sweden, and Haakon's paternal great-uncle).

Known foreign royal guests: The Danish and Swedish Regent-Couples, Queen Ingrid of Denmark (godmother to Haakon's father, the then CP Harald), Princess Anne, and Prince Carl Bernadotte (his wife Princess Kristine Bernadotte, Count Flemming and Countess Ruth of Rosenborg were also present, although you cannot see them in the gallery above).

(And to those who may wonder about the elderly lady in Haakon/Märtha's gala-photos? Well, that is their maternal grandmother, Dagny Haraldsen.)

So it is interesting that NRK will apparently be filming inside the church for Prince Sverre Magnus's confirmation, since that was not done for his aunt's confirmation.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra had her first day at Elvebakken High School yesterday :flowers:
Info on the school: With about 1350 students, it is one of Oslo's largest schools. It is also considered one of the city's most attractive schools and in recent years has had the largest number of applicants and the highest admission requirements in Oslo. The school was attended by Queen Sonja back when it was still known as Oslo Yrkesskole.

In the Dutch press is mentioned that Queen Máxima, the Crown Prince of Greece as well the Princess of Turnovo have been invited. Problem is the quarantaine rule in Norway. This makes it almost impossible for the royal godparents to attend in own person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom