How Does Haakon Feel About His Future Role?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
How does Haakon feel about his future role as King of Norway?
Has he ever talked about it openly?

Was it a time when he did not accept what role he had?

I would say the following:
- he has and is preparing himself for his future role.
- it was a brilliant coup to marry Mette-Marit.
- I would say his major problem right now is coping with media intrusion.

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 24th, 2003 - 1:09 pm
I would say the following:
- he has and is preparing himself for his future role.
- I would say his major problem right now is coping with media intrusion.
That could have come right out of the royal mouth himself. B) :eek: I have noticed how much Mette-Marit resembles Haakon's mother. :flower:

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 24th, 2003 - 4:09 pm
Why do you think it is a brilliant coup that Haakon married Mette-Marit? Not a lot of people would agree with you on that one. (Not me, I love MM, but of course I am not Norwegian so as not affected by any of this at all.) Personally I think that by marrying MM, a woman who has not grown up royal or even very privilliged, and has led a pretty full life, Haakon is making the monarchy a closer reflection of what (I understand) to be contemporary/modern life for Norwegians. From what I've read, a growing number of Norwegians are having children out of wedlock, have dabbled in drugs, attended rave parties, etc. These things would've certainly been shocking in King Harald's time, but in Haakon's time, I think they are a fair depiction of life for youth today.

So he has always accepted his role as crown prince, and a future monarch has he ever talked about not accepting the crown after his father dies.
Does he have any role models?

Haakon is making the monarchy a closer reflection of ... contemporary life.
... a growing number of Norwegians are having children out of wedlock

Exactly, for that reason. From what I have read, the majority of the Norwegian population comes from single-parent families ... so, with 'one stroke' (so to speak) Haakon has validated / made legitimate (put the royal housekeeping seal of approval on) that form of raising children.

So he has always accepted his role as crown prince, and a future monarch has he ever talked about not accepting the crown after his father dies.
Does he have any role models?

Those are good questions ... in a way, I think his father might be his role model in having been the first to 'break the mould' in perservering for what was it, 7 years before he married Sonia. I would think that Haakon's father was quick to support his son, and I suspect is a solid pillar of stone for the two of Haakon and Mette-Merit.

I've seen pictures of him as a navy officer, and he struck me then as cheerful, which made me answer earlier the way I did.

He did do the normal Crown prince thing.
Dated models, did military, etc. He and his sister even went to public school.
I think he has to accept it, because honestly, there's not much he can do to get out of it (without denying who and what he is).

But Josefine has a point .... how do we know about how Haakon feels about his role?

For one, I cannot read Norwegian.
Or is it a case of waiting until Haakon settles down more into his husband/father role?

Have Haakon been interview about this subject

Crown Princess Victoria have talked kid of openly about this
but what about Haakon

I have noticed how much Mette-Marit resembles Haakon's mother.
That similarity has escaped me. Could you expand on that, because to me, except of blond hair they have absolutely nothing in common??? :cry:

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 25th, 2003 - 6:23 pm
I have noticed how much Mette-Marit resembles Haakon's mother.
That similarity has escaped me. Could you expand on that, because to me, except of blond hair they have absolutely nothing in common??? :cry:
Nothing to cry about. They both have sharp angular features, but MM is a more beautiful version of this similarity in features. Funny, I didn't notice them having the same hair color though.

Originally posted by Josefine@Sep 24th, 2003 - 5:21 pm
Have Haakon been interview about this subject

Crown Princess Victoria have talked kid of openly about this
but what about Haakon
He has been interviewed about it, both on television and print. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on any of it at the moment and can't recall the details on the top of my head. He also had a biography come out a couple of years ago.

But he has stated, on several occasions, that a debate about the monarchy is a good thing.

Originally posted by King Christian@Sep 24th, 2003 - 6:11 pm
But Josefine has a point .... how do we know about how Haakon feels about his role?

For one, I cannot read Norwegian.
Or is it a case of waiting until Haakon settles down more into his husband/father role?
Haakon eventually taking up the monarchy as king, I believe, will be traditional .. and, there may well be global factors he may attack as a crown prince and/or king. I hate to compare him to Prince Charles of Britain, who has had a hell of a time (excuse moi), waiting and waiting and waiting to "do his duty" ... but if he reflects back to all the charities he has helped along the way, maybe Haakon and Mette-Marit will do the same. I think I've read where both Haakon and Mette-Marit have already established one charity ~ however, I cannot remember the name of it.

I praise Mette-Marit for being so active in her charity work, WHILE PREGNANT .. Whew! So active. She did so much before giving birth to Ingrid Alexandra. She sure didn't postpone many engagements, to my surprise.

Lastly, I think Haakon "tackled" the most important duty of his life ~ . He married the woman he loved. (Echo ?? Echo ?? [Edward and Wallis Simpson] ). And, I truly think if he had been forced to look elsewhere for a wife, his whole tenure as the Crown Prince and eventually the King of Norway would have been quite lackluster. One often profits in all areas of living when one is happy in their heart. I heard, as all of you probably have, that he would give up the monarchy if he couldn't have Mette-Marit as his wife. The same with WE and Maxima.

I'd love to drop a line to Ragnihild, asking about her feelings of the marriage of the Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer. Oh, yes ~ what a suitable marriage AND a massive lie. Would Ragnihild want that for her nephew and niece ~ ?? There was no love there ~ it actually turned into a circus and/or a soap opera. At least Haakon and Martha Louise have love in their lives.

Elizajane

what kind of role did he have when his grandfather was alive
did he do many royal duties

But he has stated, on several occasions, that a debate about the monarchy is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

In the interview he gave when he first talked about his relationship to MM Tjessem Hoiby, he said (I'm trying to translate):

It's clear that we aren't against a discussion about the monarchy, a constructive discussion, I think this is a good contribution to the general discussion about society. What is important is that there are general principles which one respects and that one doesn't destroys ethical and private boundaries - which exist, after all - and that it is led as decently as possible.

Haakon and his road to kingship

Being a norwegian about the same age as crownprince Haakon I'll try to give my impressions of our next king-to-be.

Haakon and his sister were brought up and educated as close to normal norwegian citizens, going to regular school and doing many activities like their peers (soccer, folkdancing, riding etc). They had nannies to help their parents when they were away working, but most days the family would be together for breakfast and dinner. One of their nannies was Berit Tversland who still work for the royal family now as "Cabinet Secretary".
The two were brought gradually into the official duties of the royal family. One of those things were standing on the balcony og the royal palace on our national day and not joining the other children in the traditional parade. Both Haakon and Märtha completed high school in Norway and as part of the celebrations at completing 12 years of school joined their classmates in the parade past the palace as part of the traditional "russefeiring". My impression is that the prince and princess were brought up as normal as possible and got the chance to learn from their environment and like the rest of us make some mistakes and learn our lessons.

After high school Haakon chose to apply for naval officers training school during his mandatory military service. After finishing his service in the navy he decided to go to Berkely, California and earned a bachelor degree in political affairs. Berkely being a quite "radical" university and a break from the tradition of both King Olav and King Harald of going to Oxford. During the final weeks of his studies in California Haakon was interviewed and as I recall told that he had struggeled with the consept of his role and his duty. I think he was talking about his late teens. But the prince with his parents and family have always had a way of discussing things within the family. It seems the change came when he stopped seeing his role as something imposed on him and he changed his perception to his role being something he CHOSE to do actively.
He early spoke up for discrimination based on sexuality or race.
Shortly after returning from Berkely Haakon met Mette-Marit at a festival in her hometown of Kristiansand.Returning from Berkely he did an internship at the Department of foreign affaires and continued his studies at the university of Oslo. After the couple wed they did more official duties and at the same time got schooling on the norwegian government (the parlament, the primeminister, various deparments and organisations). The pressure on the couple (especially the crownprincess) made the couple decide to study in London for a year. Haakon completed a Master's degree at the London School of Economics and Mette-Marit followed courses at an institute for African and Development studies. I think it was shortly after their return from London that the announcement of the pregnancy came (ingrid Alexandra).
Today both the crownprince and crownprincess work by doing official duties and often choose to take on assignments bringing focus to "taboo" issues or marginalized groups. They seem to take their roles and the oppertunities those roles give them to bring light to different subject seriously. I think they see meaning in their work and their roles. Haakon has stated in an interview that they are open for discussions about the institution of the monarchy as long as it's not driven by the press who's always looking for scandals and personal attacks. Remember our monarchy was actually elected by a general vote in 1905 when the norwegian people first voted for monarchy as the state form and then for Prince Carl of Denmark (King Haakon VII) to be our king.
I hope this has been somewhat helpful.

PS: In my experience the majority of the norwegian population is not born out of wedlock or have divorced parents. Divorce have only been socially "acceptable" for the last 30-35 years and still today the divorce rate is around 50%. It is true that the concept of divorce or having a child out of wedlock today is more accepted like it is in most of the western world. DS

will has a number when he becomes king or his he the first Haakon but then back in my head i think there has been some before him

Josefine said:
will has a number when he becomes king or his he the first Haakon but then back in my head i think there has been some before him

Crownprince Haakon will become Haakon VIII.

I know I don't personally know this man but I think he will be a great King. There is just something about him that impresses me, that tells me he has a kind heart. One of the things, is the way he treats his three children. Any man that isn't embarrassed to love his wife and children, will make a great leader. I have always thought that Marius, IA and SM were extermely lucky to have him for a father and I think Norway will be very lucky to have him as a King.

Rebafan81 said:
I think Norway will be very lucky to have him as a King.

So do I, he will make a wonderful king someday! But I hope King Harald will live for AT LEAST 10 more years;)

Haakon and Mette Marritt(spelling?) are some of the nicest people I've seen. They will make a great king and queen one day.

relation prince Haakon with king Olav

I want to know if is true that he want to be a great king as his grandfather.:wub:

marian said:
I want to know if is true that he want to be a great king as his grandfather.:wub:

I guess that's quite obvious... I don't think that many princes goes around wanting to be a bad king...

;)

The srenght of the norwegian monarchy

The strenght of the norwegian monarchy of the house Glucksburg has been their ability to change with their people. So did Haakon's great-grandfather Haakon IIV, King Olav V and allthough it hasn't been that apparent over the reign of King Harald V a lot has changed in his reign. I think CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit will adapt to the expectations and at the same time make their own place in history with their humanitarian projects.

I wish Prince Haakon will be a good King. Something saids me that he will. There is something in his looks that's makes me think in a good future sovereign.

I think that there is social changes (not all of them are exactly good), yes, and the hability of a good Monarch is to accept the good ones and to reject the others. It will be good, time to time, that a King or a Queen, changes with his/her personnal attitude, some little things that could be wrong and at the same time, could mark his/her time with his/her strong personnality. A good example of this was Queen Victoria. A whole era was nammed with her name. Hope Prince Haakon could be this kind of Monarch when his time comes to reign.

Vanesa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom