Haakon & Mette-Marit's 40th Birthday

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BT has some interesting details about the two day party: Mary og Frederik til kongelig hippie-fest i Norge - Royale | www.bt.dk

The theme of the party will be a hippie music festival, sort of Woodstock style. So the guests will sleep in tents on the lawn.

That's because Haakon likes music festivals and because he and Mette Marit met at such a festival in 1999.

The idea of the guest pitching in on paying for the music is also a kind of joke. The man behind it, Morten Andreassen, has sent out an e-mail to the guests, writing: "As all festivals we have bought first without any economic consideration and then we solve the financial problems later; as such this is a desperate mail from a man, who right now have serious money-issues :)".

It's not just funding the music the friends have been asked to help with. The guests have been busy digging out old untensils and plates from attics and what not so they have something to use for the dinners.

- Sounds like a groovy party coming up. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U

Last edited:
LOL I like that they're going to be camping. What a unglamorous way to celebrate their birthday's! Frederik and Mary will have fun "roughing it". They both seem to like outdoor activities so they should have fun.

LOL I like that they're going to be camping. What a unglamorous way to celebrate their birthday's! Frederik and Mary will have fun "roughing it". They both seem to like outdoor activities so they should have fun.

i would love to have some photos from inside the party, how nice would it be to see mary&frederik camping with haakon and mettemarit :D:D

I really do wish these news/media sites would give you the option of switching to English. Surely it can't be that difficult for them to do with the technology around today. Would love to see at least one photo from this birthday party.

:previous:

Hear, hear! Thankfully, Danish is close to Swedish and Norwegian so I can imagine that we have it a bit easier with royalty-related articles here in Scandinavia, but I have often found myself on a Spanish, Italian or French website not understanding a word of what it says (and I really can't bother using Google Translate, using my own poor French would be more understandable to me than using GT).

I use Google as my search engine and it converts the article into English when I click onto the site.

Billed Bladet #29 has a few details about the celebrations.

220 guests are expected, nearly all will sleep in tents and caravans. The music-festival will start Friday.

Lene Balleby from the court has confirmed that Mary and Frederik will attend.

Others who are likely to attend are:
Märtha Louise and Ari Behn.
Victoria and her Daniel.
Madeleine and her Chris.
Marie Chantal and Pavlos.
Perhaps Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin.

The theme will be the 70's and the guests are expected to dress like hippies.

Well, those of us, who weren't too numbed by the clouds of silly weed may recall this very 70's song. Notice the guys with the stribed and yellow trousers - perhaps, perhaps we can expect Frederik to wear such a garment. :D

Pop Tops - Mamy Blue - YouTube

It would've been nice if WA & Maxima would also attend as they are also close friends.

do we know when the royal guests will arrive? tonight or first tomorrow? many articles says that frederik&mary attend, but not which day? :)

I can't belive this article (the guests should not only pay but also work on this weekend???):
Kronprinsesse mette-marit - Festivalgjestene settes i arbeid - Seoghør.no Kongelige
Google Fordító

Other article:
http://www.newsinenglish.no/2013/07/18/royal-tent-party-raises-eyebrows/

Mette-Marit and the children will also perform something on the stage:
http://www.budstikka.no/nyheter/mette-marit-og-barna-skal-opptre-pa-scenen-1.7983621
http://translate.google.hu/translat...arit-og-barna-skal-opptre-pa-scenen-1.7983621

do we know when the royal guests will arrive? tonight or first tomorrow? many articles says that frederik&mary attend, but not which day? :)

This article says also only that they come, but not the date. It has also a short video about the preparation:
Frederik og Mary kommer til Skaugum - TV 2 Nyhetene
Google Fordító

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it doesnt rain like at woodstock....I didn't know that they knew chris martin and gwyeneth, I would have a music festival too!

In connection with his 40th birthday Haakon had given an interview. During this interview, he was stopped by police for speeding.
Here is a video of him being pulled over, since he was being interviewed for his birthday, there was a camera on inside the car.

Kronprinsen stanset av politiet for å ha brutt fartsgrensen - Norge - NRK Nyheter

You are fortunate over in the States. There is no such thing as a caution here in Scandinavia if you are caught speeding.
Don't know the fines in Norway, but here in DK, that would have resulted in a fine for about 265 $.
"Reckless driving" as you call it in US, cost 530 $ and a cut in the drivers licence. - Three cuts and you need a new license.

Last edited:
It’s as simple as this: the gift from the guests is the musical acts, so yes of course they are expected to pay. It’s not uncommon for friends to buy joints gifts; this is just a bigger scale.

I’m very happy the press will be allowed to be around for parts of the event tomorrow. I didn’t expect I it. I’m looking forward to the documentary as well. NRK has another clip up. – Følte jeg satte monarkiet i fare - Fordypning

In the clip the Crown Prince says: (on if he felt he put the monarchy in danger when he decided to marry the Crown Princess) I did feel that, to a certain degree, but I also felt like it was a test in a way. A test to see if there was room for me in this institution, and that if it wasn’t there was little reason for me to have a place in it.

He also says that they (him and the Crown Princess) were vulnerable because they challenged norms. If you had asked (earlier in life) if I could marry someone who had a child, many would have said no. But it was possible.

The Crown Princess says: my life was turned upside down with a newspaper front page; my life was suddenly completely different. It was very strange.

The Crown Princess says (about the interview where she talked about her past) I were very focused on doing a good job. I had in mind that I had to act like a perfect princess, and I wasn’t. My son and things I’ve done in the past where things that stood against me, many people though I was unsuitable. I had Marius, and stood there with a child and every decision was taken very rapidly.

According to this article the palace and a friend of Haakon have sent out emails asking for guests to help pitch in and pay for the party :ohmy::D

Guests help pay for prince’s party

I can't belive it!!! Is this a joke?? I read often that the norwegian royals are the best paid in Europe, better than the Dutch... Don't they have enough money for this party??

"...we have, without economic control, bought first and then we solve the problems with money afterwards..." :ermm:

I believed that the Dutch are the best european paid royals, because the Dutch Royalty are the healthiest in Europe in terms of ranking.

I can't belive it!!! Is this a joke?? I read often that the norwegian royals are the best paid in Europe, better than the Dutch... Don't they have enough money for this party??

"...we have, without economic control, bought first and then we solve the problems with money afterwards..." :ermm:

Yes and no. It's all in good fun.

The purpose of the whole festival is to get back to the hippie spirit of the 70's, where things were organised like a commune and where everybody pulled their load, including guests.

I understand the guests will be divided into groups on arriving and each group will be assigned various tasks, like tending to the bar, taking care of the performers, clearing the tables and so on.

You know, working together in love and harmony. :p

(This simply calls for a song). - To be serious, this festival theme is actually a funny idea.
New Seekers - I'd Like ToTeach The World To Sing - YouTube

Are the only Royal guests going the ones mentioned in the article above? That's a bit odd. I am surprised Marie and Joachim aren't going, as well as Edward and Sophie. The Wessex's attend Martha-Louise's 40th birthday celebrations, though I suppose we don't know how close they are to Haakon and Mette-Marit.

All the gang getting together! I love these gatherings. :D

Crownprince family pictured prior to the celebrations of the upcoming 40th birthday of CP Haakon - beautiful family picture! :flowers:
APA pictures APA-PictureDesk

part of the guest list kongehuset.no - Kronprinsens 40-årsdag: Presseinformasjon
His Majesty the King
Her Majesty the Queen
His Royal Highness Crown Prince
Her Royal Highness Crown Princess
Marius Borg Høiby
Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra
Prince Sverre Magnus
Princess Märtha Louise
Ari Behn

Netherlands:
His Majesty the King of the Netherlands
Her Majesty the Queen of the Netherlands
His Royal Highness Prince Constantijn

Denmark:
His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Denmark
Her Royal Highness Crown Princess of Denmark

Other Royal guests:
His Royal Highness Prince Pavlos
Her Royal Highness Princess Marie Chantal
His Royal Highness Prince Kyril
Her Royal Highness Princess Mafalda
Her Royal Highness Princess Olympia
Her Royal Highness Princess Rosario
His Royal Highness Prince Jaime de Bourbon Parma

Last edited:
:previous:wonderful :flowers:thanks

i like this official picture of the family

according to this tweet, King WA and Maxima are going

♔Espen F. Kjendlie♔ @Royaljournalist Willem-Alexander and Maxima will attend Haakons 40th birthday tomorrow and sunday. Hippie-festival.

thanks, so i guess that mary&frederik also first will arrive tomorrow like the dutch :)

hope they all will have a good party! would love to see mary, mettemarit and maxima dance and have a party together :)

Last edited:
Are the only Royal guests going the ones mentioned in the article above? That's a bit odd. I am surprised Marie and Joachim aren't going, as well as Edward and Sophie. The Wessex's attend Martha-Louise's 40th birthday celebrations, though I suppose we don't know how close they are to Haakon and Mette-Marit.
Maybe they don't want to camp out;)

Back
Top Bottom